ADVERTISEMENT

Kerr Kriisa commits to Kentucky

Wow I didn’t expect this. He’s not bad, not exactly who I wanted though.
I think he will grow on us. At least right now we have three guys now who can play some lead guard, Butler, Kriisa and Travis Perry. And if we find a better true killer PG, the three above can play off the ball. In fact the guys who have watched Kriisa seem to like the idea of him off the ball

I wasn't too crazy about him at first either, but I do like his 43% 3 point shooting. I am also comforted by the fact that he was the starting PG on an Arizona team that went 33-4 and was a #1 seed in the 2022 NCAA tournament. You don't attain a record like that without capable PG play. So surrounded by good talent and in the right system, he should perform well. We just need him to be Anthony Epps, not Allen Iverson.

Setting aside the personality concerns he is a below average defender so it’s a weird fit with the rest of the team build. I also still think there is an alarming lack of dribble penetration ability on the entire team. Couple of guys are okay at it (Butler, Oweh) but we need at least one elite guy.
If we get one elite guy great if not we have a team full of good players that can be Coached up and play team basketball. This roster is much better then Popes BYU teams and they did pretty well

I think he will grow on us. At least right now we have three guys now who can play some lead guard, Butler, Kriisa and Travis Perry. And if we find a better true killer PG, the three above can play off the ball. In fact the guys who have watched Kriisa seem to like the idea of him off the ball
I’d agree, he’s a good passer and shooter obviously. He will work in the system. That’s what we have to remember. We recruit to a system now, not just overwhelming talent.

UK’s top ranked transfer is 23rd. For a season that is 95% dependent on the transfer portal, I'm starting to worry a bit.

Out of the 8 total transfers, just 3 are ranked in the top 50 for UK’s class.

While West Virginia is getting studs like Javon Small (top 10) and Tucker DeVries (top 3), Kentucky is getting Kerr Kriisa (not ranked inside the top 100).

Last edited:
I just always remind myself that Booker scored 6pts against Wisconsin in 2015 when we took that L.. I'm more than happy with a player like this who is averaging 11

More great news. I love it!

Baldwin-Bottle-2.gif

UK’s top ranked transfer is 23rd. For a season that is 95% dependent on the transfer portal, I'm starting to worry a bit.

Out of the 7 total transfers, just 3 are ranked in the top 50 for UK’s class.

While West Virginia is getting studs like Javon Small (top 10) and Tucker DeVries (top 3), Kentucky is getting Kerr Kriisa (not ranked inside the top 100).
So what exactly should we do before the program collapses?

Exactly what I thought. Every team in the nation wants a guy with his attitude to be on their team.
Vescovi took a backseat this year to UTs roster…but he absolutely was a thorn in our side for the couple years prior to this one. Skilled, knockdown 3ball, issues change of pace to pick spots on the floor and create for other…just typically made the right play

Reactions: Soupbean
He'll talk shit to the student section while going 0 for 9 from 3. True story. Solid pick up though

Out of the 7 total transfers, just 3 are ranked in the top 50 for UK’s class.

This guy has been on the job for what? Less than three weeks and he started with zero players while being an unknown to most new recruits?

What exactly was the expectation of roster construction for this first season?

Looks like a solid pick up. Especially if Pope has tried 3 times to get him. You can't have a ton of starters. You've got to have some backup players as well. Which role he will have we will see. Those big names are still out there though with the NBA Draft waters still being tested. We're not done yet.

59.8 eFG% shooter. That is the most important number, that and the 5 assist per game, 42% 3FG shooter. He makes 2.7 3's per game, Brea makes 3.0 per game, but Kriisa gives you 5 assist per game. more versatile player than Brea, but you do you.

I was saying it as a good thing, champ. 43% 3FG is a very good percentage.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This is the only one I’m not excited about yet, but we have to have backups.
TODAY, he is better than Chandler, Perry, and I would even say Brea. You like all 3 of those better than Kriisa ? I say that referencing your comment "this is the ONLY one".

Reactions: Soupbean

Out of the 8 total transfers, just 3 are ranked in the top 50 for UK’s class.

🤣🤣🤣

The point and assist totals and the shooting percentages are all solid, so I’m not saying that he completely sucks, but I’m not sold on adding him in the bigger picture.

I’ve read a lot of what Arizona fans say about him this afternoon, and it’s honestly mostly negative. They say he’s a decent shooter overall, but extremely streaky and capable of shooting you out of some games just as much as he keeps you in others. Apparently he’s extremely mouthy and will keep trash talking to opposing players and fans alike even in his off games when he’s 0/10 from 3 (which actually happened), and is a bit of a technical foul magnet because of it. Good passer with vision, but tries too many high risk plays which leads to inflated turnover numbers. A complete liability on defense.

I don’t know. I’m definitely not opposed to adding another shooter, but there’s still guys available who shoot just as well without the baggage and volatility. My gut reaction is that I don’t love this pick up.

Maybe a change of scenery and a no nonsense coaching staff can change that. You want to reel him in but not reel him in too much.
If he’s gonna be our backup I’m actually quite good with it. He could be a microwave scorer off the bench. And Arizona fans swore Boswell was the answer and should play over Kriisa. Then when Boswell was handed the keys, they turned on him too. Pope is loading up with so much P5 talent, I can’t help but be extremely excited.

The point and assist totals and the shooting percentages are all solid, so I’m not saying that he completely sucks, but I’m not sold on adding him in the bigger picture.

I’ve read a lot of what Arizona fans say about him this afternoon, and it’s honestly mostly negative. They say he’s a decent shooter overall, but extremely streaky and capable of shooting you out of some games just as much as he keeps you in others. Apparently he’s extremely mouthy and will keep trash talking to opposing players and fans alike even in his off games when he’s 0/10 from 3 (which actually happened), and is a bit of a technical foul magnet because of it. Good passer with vision, but tries too many high risk plays which leads to inflated turnover numbers. A complete liability on defense.

I don’t know. I’m definitely not opposed to adding another shooter, but there’s still guys available who shoot just as well without the baggage and volatility. My gut reaction is that I don’t love this pick up.
Someone in Arizona must have thought good about him to be giving him improper benefits. I think a change of scenery, a no nonsense coaching staff, and a veteran team will do this kid wonders.

If he’s gonna be our backup I’m actually quite good with it. He could be a microwave scorer off the bench. And Arizona fans swore Boswell was the answer and should play over Kriisa. Then when Boswell was handed the keys, they turned on him too. Pope is loading up with so much P5 talent, I can’t help but be extremely excited.
When this team is complete I’d love to compare it to the team Cal was due to have in. I’m ecstatic with our parts so far. I agree this kid will be a highlight reel coming off the bench. Need just a couple more pieces but this is the most excited I’ve been since Fox, Monk, and Bam. And to think Pope has did this in 3 weeks without a complete coaching staff.

Reactions: BigKari
thought that he played well at Arizona
Just the opposite for me .. thot he was disappointing the few time Is I saw him there. Again, a small sample and his numbers do look good. I'm sure MP knows what he's doing

I haven’t watched him play much but I do remember when he entered the portal last year, I had so many friends that are college basketball enthusiasts texting me and thinking him entering the portal was a huge deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT