ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky wants ‘a point guard’ at QB. Is its top 2022 option off the table?

*Bleedingblue*

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2009
During his news conference with reporters this week, University of Kentucky offensive coordinator Liam Coen was asked about venturing back into the recruiting game and, in particular, what he looks for in a high school quarterback.
He answered with three words first uttered during his debut sit-down with local media when he was hired in December: “A point guard.”
Coen then elaborated.
If Wimsatt spurns UK for the Garden State, it could be a short-term blow to how the Wildcats are perceived across the country. Being able to prevent such a decision from having an extended impact is in the hands of Coen, his staff and current players.
“I think once you prove you can throw the football a little bit better, you’ll attract some of that talent and some of those guys to compete at those positions,” Coen said. “We need to get better at every position at the end of the day. That’s through development but that’s in recruiting as well.”

Last edited:
Recruiting is really important, but so is desire and development. Ive kind of got to where I try not to get too excited about a kid signing or not. Cobb was a 2 or 3 star depending on the site, Snell was a three star. Some of our O linemen I never heard of and of course there's Allen.
On the other end, some of our higher ranked guys just didnt live up to our hope or their hype.

Its really impossible to know what kind of QB will flourish under Coen....since he aint never done this before.

Seems like I've heard a left coast name mentioned at the position . . . ranked No. 1 or No. 2, nationally, for the '23 Class!
You're gonna have to elaborate on that one cuz none of the top 3 uncommitted QBs in 2023 appear to be from the west coast... Looks like one might be "committed" to Oklahoma but that depends on which site you use, oddly enough... Or maybe I'm just reading the site wrong 😂

You're gonna have to elaborate on that one cuz none of the top 3 uncommitted QBs in 2023 appear to be from the west coast... Looks like one might be "committed" to Oklahoma but that depends on which site you use, oddly enough... Or maybe I'm just reading the site wrong 😂
UK may not have a chance, but the #1 QB is Malachi Nelson on both rivals #2 overall and 247 #6 overall. He is also from California, the West coast

Recruiting is really important, but so is desire and development. Ive kind of got to where I try not to get too excited about a kid signing or not. Cobb was a 2 or 3 star depending on the site, Snell was a three star. Some of our O linemen I never heard of and of course there's Allen.
On the other end, some of our higher ranked guys just didnt live up to our hope or their hype.

Its really impossible to know what kind of QB will flourish under Coen....since he aint never done this before.

I'll take my chances on recruiting classes like Bama pulls in not Morehead St classes.

I got a feeling we’ll make an SEC championship and possible playoff run in the next 4 years.

I have a feeling the “plateau” with Stoops is a 10 year period where we are in the conversation, annually.

Look at our O-line ratings!! Add Goodwin and maybe Wagner! It would be a Top 1 or 2 haul in the nation for ‘22!

And in 2020, we had the 2nd best D-line Class, nationally.

Secondary? Uhhh, check!

Defense? Yes, at every position, were we to choose, we could play a 4 or 5 Star.

Backs? Watch CRod get Heisman mention this year!!

Some say we have maybe no shot at Malachi Nelson.

Really, why not?

Last edited:
The class we signed two years ago and the one we are going to sign this year, you put a truly great QB with them I think we take that next step. Those two classes have/will have everything covered and then some.

Just think how good of a football team we would of had the last few years if we had good QB and WR play? Every other postion has been oustanding with our defense being able to lead a team to 10 wins.
If our offense was the equal to our defense we would be playing in atlanta for the SEC title the past several seasons

I'll take my chances on recruiting classes like Bama pulls in not Morehead St classes.
True , but I understand what billoliver was saying. He didn’t say he didn’t want them , he just doesn’t get TOO excited about them . I’m the same way , I was thrilled with Matt Elam , barely noticed Josh Allen .

ADVERTISEMENT