ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky making a push for the #2 player in 2023, QB Malachi Nelson

Kentucky's old offensive staff actually offered him last year when he made it known that he would like to have a Kentucky offer. Coen will be the one recruiting him now.
What about last scheme appealed to him?

Not a knock against Gran. Just wondering if he’s more of a Bowden type player or has throwing ability.

tia

It's kind of wild to think about Kentucky having a Top 100 overall QB in-state, but we are making a push for a higher rated QB from Los Angeles. Who would have predicted that?

I still think Wimsatt is a Cat, but this staff isn't messing around. This isn't the old, desperate Kentucky football recruiting. It's momentum filled and encouraging recruits to get on the bus before they miss it.
Nelson is a 2023 guy.

What about last scheme appealed to him?

Not a knock against Gran. Just wondering if he’s more of a Bowden type player or has throwing ability.

tia
Had nothing really to do with UK or its style. He stated he liked UK gear and his parents had occasionally visited the state, so he had some interest in Kentucky.

Oklahoma is the current favorite for him, but as others have mentioned, can't sign a guy if you don't try.

Had nothing really to do with UK or its style. He stated he liked UK gear and his parents had occasionally visited the state, so he had some interest in Kentucky.

Oklahoma is the current favorite for him, but as others have mentioned, can't sign a guy if you don't try.
Must have been the chrome helmets ; - )

Reactions: Ky grandpa

hat on the table.

Reactions: Cat06 and Girthang
They visit UVA today I believe (if not today, very soon) and will visit Kentucky next weekend. They plan to commit right after the Kentucky visit. As of this moment, I think Kentucky gets them. I've actually felt good about Kentucky's chances for a few months now.
Thanks Rock, hope you're right. Really like these guys, both can really run. Came out this week that TN's in-state recruiting is in the tank, hope UK can help to keep it there. Mid-TN has a lot of good players, that area has exploded in population in recent years.

Imagine how the rest of the country would react if he actually ended up signing with UK. For us to land a coveted 6.1 rated Rivals 5 star QB from the West Coast would send shockwaves through college football. This is the kind of recruit that usually only the top 5 football programs in the nation really has a shot at getting. To even be under consideration from a guy like this is quite an achievement. As UK's grows its brand and develops an identity, we may someday soon be able to recruit on the national level. That is when we'll truly know we've arrived.

Stoops basically said at UK's Pro Day Wednesday that in the early years of his tenure, they had to be very selective on not only the players they targeted, but where they were from. Now that they have shown success on the field, getting guys to the NFL, etc, it has allowed them to start to branch out more in caliber of player and more regions of the country and get a favorable response. Building football programs, especially in the SEC is not easy and for many fans, not quick enough. Stoops has done it the right way and Kentucky football and its fans are now starting to reap the rewards.

Thanks Rock, hope you're right. Really like these guys, both can really run. Came out this week that TN's in-state recruiting is in the tank, hope UK can help to keep it there. Mid-TN has a lot of good players, that area has exploded in population in recent years.
As far as Nashville area guys go, I'd probably be worried more about Vandy than UT right now.

As far as Nashville area guys go, I'd probably be worried more about Vandy than UT right now.
You're right. With Lea and now the announcement of $300M upgrade of athletic facilities Vandy very well could make a quantum leap as the mid-2020s approach.

Reactions: matt_man
You're right. With Lea and now the announcement of $300M upgrade of athletic facilities Vandy very well could make a quantum leap as the mid-2020s approach.
Yeah I think the new staff there has given them a little juice. We will see how much soon enough.

Reactions: mrschwump
Our brand continues to rise with each Bowl win and each draft day.

But don’t sell us short on some “little” things.

The briefest Saturday night glance when we are at home often reveals a uniform that is ours, alone, nationally (with the exception of Buffalo.)

That blue from head-to-toe is pretty unique.

As to this being a “hat on the table,” tell that to Marquan McCall and Justin Rogers. Landing the top rated player from Michigan two of the last three years shows how far we’ve come.

I think if Coen comes out with a respectable QB performer (2,500 yds+), we will have the sales point to land an upper 4 star recruit. As long as we can say “huge improvement” and something like “we went from 120th to 70th nationally” it’ll go a long ways.

Great cycle to recruit TN like it's OH. You know you'll more than likely lose out on the top-shelf recruits with 'Bama or UGA offers, but you can make a killing with the rest (maybe also besides Ole Miss offers into Memphis). Thanks, Knoxville!

Reactions: jauk11
I think if Coen comes out with a respectable QB performer (2,500 yds+), we will have the sales point to land an upper 4 star recruit. As long as we can say “huge improvement” and something like “we went from 120th to 70th nationally” it’ll go a long ways.
I really hope we are higher than 70ish but I’m trying to keep my expectations reasonable.

Reactions: jauk11 and matt_man
If our receivers look and play the part the next 2 years, we have a great shot at all of numbers great QBs usually produce. We'll need visibly and statistically great receivers, OL, and RBs to land this young man.

Reactions: jauk11
Years ago I pushed that UK had to offer and recruit higher rated targets and was told by more than one that wasnt happening. Now look at the guys being offered and returning interest. The only sure way to not sign a kid is not recruit him.

Agree with you in theory, but UK offering top recruits after a full decade of NOT ONE THING above the bare minimum invested in football would have been a waste of time------AND resources. UK didn't get serious about football until we lost 20,000 season ticket holders, AND the OTHER SEC football programs started throwing millions at our athletic program.

And of course Stoops seeing the potential AND realizing UK couldn't keep throwing millions of the MONEY COW money away was a big factor also.

And I thought Vandy guys were supposed to be smart, even our athletic department woke up after a decade of neglect and letting football hit rock bottom.

Not sure how much credit our AD deserves though, it all seemed intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that FOOTBALL was the coming money cow long before our program was allowed to crash and burn.

With the pluses we already have, getting a good passing game should put us among the top programs in the nation. A lot of the ground work has already been done.

Reactions: cathouse
Agree with you in theory, but UK offering top recruits after a full decade of NOT ONE THING above the bare minimum invested in football would have been a waste of time------AND resources. UK didn't get serious about football until we lost 20,000 season ticket holders, AND the OTHER SEC football programs started throwing millions at our athletic program.

And of course Stoops seeing the potential AND realizing UK couldn't keep throwing millions of the MONEY COW money away was a big factor also.

Are you saying you don't think Mitch did a good job before Stoops arrived? Can you elaborate on that?

A lot of the ground work has already been done.

Jauk, you might take note of the title of threads where you repeat your magnum opus.

This thread is about an elite Left Coast player giving us a serious look.

Given that we have parents of current players posting, and likely all players’ families reading this site, one might assume that a player from California might read the site, as might his parents, etc.

And given that the thread has his name at the top, one might think he/they would be drawn to this very thread.

Hence, maybe we ought not clutter it with all the negative ish one can think of from the last 20 years?

Ya think??

Jauk, you might take note of the title of threads where you repeat your magnum opus.

This thread is about an elite Left Coast player giving us a serious look.

Given that we have parents of current players posting, and likely all players’ families reading this site, one might assume that a player from California might read the site, as might his parents, etc.

And given that the thread has his name at the top, one might think he/they would be drawn to this very thread.

Hence, maybe we ought not clutter it with all the negative ish one can think of from the last 20 years?

Ya think??

I don't see it as negative posting at all, I see it as a reason we were so bad for so long AND that those problems have been solved, for the most part-------also a warning that we don't want to drift back to the bottom of SEC football again. ALL of the other SEC schools have the same FOOTBALL bonanza that we are enjoying now, even Vandy is going to spend $300,000,000 on improvements, and they already have the academics. If the SEC didn't kick us out for the previous decade of football incompetence then they certainly aren't going to now. UNLESS they might be afraid to have to play the NEW UK football program.

What is the latest big facilities improvement that is making the headlines, besides the new baseball stadium------it doesn't take long to fall behind in the SEC, lot of new ambitious coaches too.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT