ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs Duke...214 Days. We Need a Roster. Lets Talk Players...

KA4Prez

All-American
Dec 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Expectation is to be competitive in this game.

Lets focus on who could be on the roster?

1. Jaxson Robinson - Would be a grad transfer, previously at Texas A&M and Arkansas, would be the best player on the team and is really one of two BYU players worth exploring.

2. Foussenyi Traore - The only other BYU player worth taking on. Undersized big man who looked awful in the NCAA Tournament.

3. Reed Sheppard - Long shot, but we know the story of Jeff and Mark.

4. Travis Perry - Seems like many believe that Perry would honor his Kentucky commitment and would be great in the Pope system.

5. Collin Chandler - Former 4-star recruit committed to BYU, completing his mission and would've been one of the top players on their 2024-25 team.

6. Marcus Adams - Former 4-star from Kansas, went to BYU and barely played as a Freshman. Might have some upside but only other player I even considered from their 2023-24 roster.

That's what I have. What else?

That's going to be a tough game to get a win.

But I believe we will be much more prepared for it than if Cal was here. We're like 1-5 over the last 6 CC games.

The first focus is trying to retain players from last year, retain the recruits.. do that first, and then hit the transfer portal, maybe even take some of the guys from BYU if they are interested (a lot of them have eligibility left).

Duke is likely going to be very young again, although they somehow convinced Proctor to come back.

Here’s my stab at a roster for next season for discussion purposes:

PG - Reed Sheppard, Portal PG, Travis Perry

2G - Jalen Blackmon, Joey Hart, Travis Perry

SF - Cade Tyson, Ryan Conwell

PF - Adou Thiero, Jordan Burks, Robbie Avila

C – Big Z or Robbie Avila, Jonas Aidoo

What makes Pope’s offense work well is shooting and passing (more so than dribble driving), but I also think basketball smarts are more important to his system than maybe some others. So, I think UK needs (1) Great perimeter shooting skilled Guards (quicker the release the better, not driveway shooters – the screening will get you a look, but not time to drink coffee); (2) SFs & PFs who can shoot & rebound to varying degrees; and (3) Good passing skilled Bigs.

I would think it’s too late for much, if any, high school recruiting for next season. Liam McNeely maybe, but I think Cade Tyson is significantly better at this point. I don’t know that Aidoo is a good passer, but I like what he can bring in the post every other way.

Last edited:
Here’s my stab at a roster for next season for discussion purposes:

PG - Reed Sheppard, Portal PG, Travis Perry

2G - Jalen Blackmon, Joey Hart, Travis Perry

SF - Cade Tyson, Ryan Conwell

PF - Adou Thiero, Jordan Burks, Robbie Avila

C – Big Z or Robbie Avila, Jonas Aidoo

What makes Pope’s offense work well is shooting and passing (more so than dribble driving), but I also think basketball smarts are more important to his system than maybe some others. So, I think UK needs (1) Great perimeter shooting skilled Guards (quicker the release the better, not driveway shooters – the screening will get you a look, but not time to drink coffee); (2) SFs & PFs who can shoot & rebound to varying degrees; and (4) Good passing skilled Bigs.

I would think it’s too late for much, if any, high school recruiting for next season. Liam McNeely maybe, but I think Cade Tyson is significantly better at this point. I don’t know that Aidoo is a good passer, but I like what he can bring in the post every other way.
I think Joey Hart would be tailor made for this type of offense. Hopefully he comes back. Burks also may be a really good fit.

Reactions: EliteBlue and G-PIP
Coaches don't win anything without good players. Ask any of the most successful coaches.
Coaches also MAKE good players as well - through development, systems that play to their strength, game plans, scouting, adjustments, etc..

Cal never did that so people just think we need all 5 stars so they can hopefully "figure it out" on their own.

Reactions: G-PIP
Expectation is to be competitive in this game.

Lets focus on who could be on the roster?

1. Jaxson Robinson - Would be a grad transfer, previously at Texas A&M and Arkansas, would be the best player on the team and is really one of two BYU players worth exploring.

2. Foussenyi Traore - The only other BYU player worth taking on. Undersized big man who looked awful in the NCAA Tournament.

3. Reed Sheppard - Long shot, but we know the story of Jeff and Mark.

4. Travis Perry - Seems like many believe that Perry would honor his Kentucky commitment and would be great in the Pope system.

5. Collin Chandler - Former 4-star recruit committed to BYU, completing his mission and would've been one of the top players on their 2024-25 team.

6. Marcus Adams - Former 4-star from Kansas, went to BYU and barely played as a Freshman. Might have some upside but only other player I even considered from their 2023-24 roster.

That's what I have. What else?
As a KU fan, don't waste your time with Adams. He was pretty lazy, came in self-entitled and was a basket case. Team pretty much told him to take a hike after being in Lawrence for maybe 2 months. So he commits to Gonzaga. Few runs him off for the same reasons in short time, then he ends up at BYU. Unless he did a 180 with his attitude and personality, should be a hard pass!

Too many unknowns (i.e. Reed, Z, Theiro). But there are lots of good players available or who might return, and even a few good recruits (McNeeley, Fland, Richmond), before you even get to all of the good portal players. I don't see many following Pope (maybe their best player, and maybe 1 recruit to be our 12th/13th man).

I don't think we will be "settling" for medicocre players.

All in on Big Z. That 4mil that was tossed around as guaranteed NIL….1m of that should be Z. He’s a perfect piece. If not Z then the Indiana State kid fits that role too. Not as athletic or as good defensively but from an offensive standpoint he can handle reading all that zoom action and making good passes while being respected from deep

Z is not staying at UK. It was over the second he started following Arkansas on social media. We should know how Cal operates by now.

Reactions: track42
All in on Big Z. That 4mil that was tossed around as guaranteed NIL….1m of that should be Z. He’s a perfect piece. If not Z then the Indiana State kid fits that role too. Not as athletic or as good defensively but from an offensive standpoint he can handle reading all that zoom action and making good passes while being respected from deep
I didn't think z can get NIL because of international student visa. Same as Oscar and Zach Edey.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I don't see Wagner back, or any other 5 star outside of Reed.

Jordan Burks would be a great keep if possible.

Blackmon is interesting as well, and possibly even Mashburn if they are still looking?

I have no idea about BYU players and the portal is a mystery until a player actually commits. It all seems very unpredictable.

Travis Perry - a KY kid who I think will stay.

Reed Shepherd - I went from 5% chance he stays to a 15% chance he stays due to Jeff & Mark’s relationship and the reported $4 million NIL from one donor.

Big Z - I know it’s a long shot, but surely he got his fill of Cal and knows not to believe a word Cal says. It looks like he would thrive in Pope’s offense and get a chance to raise his draft stock.

Beyond that, I have no idea. I’ve seen Robbie Avila mentioned a couple times in above posts. He already committed to St Louis. Followed his coach to a new destination.

Reactions: G-PIP
Cade Tyson is visiting TN. He would fit this style perfect, maybe the best shooter in the portal. McNeely waiting till all star game over around the 21st but right now not listing us but AR. Would be another player that would probably be a star here in this system.

Pope will get a good coaching staff and fill the roster with good players and then we will stomp a mud hole in Duke’s @$$. UK will be back…

One of our three big men will stay with NIL money.
Back up the Brinks for Z. Seriously. Z would dominate in a system that emphasizes the trey from bigs and creates passing opportunities. I would love to keep Onyenso for his defense and the fact that he improved so much last off-season. I think Pope could do wonders for both as a former big man.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I have no idea about BYU players and the portal is a mystery until a player actually commits. It all seems very unpredictable.

Travis Perry - a KY kid who I think will stay.

Reed Shepherd - I went from 5% chance he stays to a 15% chance he stays due to Jeff & Mark’s relationship and the reported $4 million NIL from one donor.

Big Z - I know it’s a long shot, but surely he got his fill of Cal and knows not to believe a word Cal says. It looks like he would thrive in Pope’s offense and get a chance to raise his draft stock.

Beyond that, I have no idea. I’ve seen Robbie Avila mentioned a couple times in above posts. He already committed to St Louis. Followed his coach to a new destination.
Thanks. I missed that Avila already signed with St. Louis. His passing would have been nice in what I've seen of Pope's offense.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT