ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Houston

Coleman gives up a leadoff single to right and then gets a strikeout.

Carson Coleman in a good battle with Lockhart and he wins with a great low pitch to get him swinging. I like the fight he showed there.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I didn't think they had a mercy rule in college ball!

They typically don't have one in D1 but this tournament is different I guess. 10 run rule in effect. I'm okay with it, Coleman could possibly pitch again if needed.

Coleman over throwing a bit after the strikeout and he gives up a walk. Runners on first and second with 1 out.

Coleman just throws some gas. As the Houston commentator says, he's very good if he doesn't open up his front shoulder. He keeps it tight and he's plenty accurate. Another battle. Coleman gets up early but a lot of foul offs keeping the hitter alive before Coleman works it to full. Ball four is low, very good pitch. Belanger out to change pitchers.

Bases are juiced for Houston with 1 out. Power hitting first baseman up for the Cougars. Dangerous spot and Maley gets a big pop up for an infield fly and out number 2. Big out there. Malay throwing some gas and Houston not able to catch up to it as he gets a strikeout to end the game!!!

Amazing game for UK as they win 14-2.

Reactions: parrott
Bases are juiced for Houston with 1 out. Power hitting first baseman up for the Cougars. Dangerous spot and Maley gets a big pop up for an infield fly and out number 2. Big out there. Malay throwing some gas and Houston not able to catch up to it as he gets a strikeout to end the game!!!

Amazing game for UK as they win 14-2.
I wouldn't have thought a 12 run victory would happen, but glad it did !

Reactions: RogerIndy
That makes 5 out of 10 games where Kentucky has scored in double digits. Not sure too many teams can make that claim. We've not given up more than 6 runs in any game so far this season. Only the Xavier game with the lack of focus early blemishes the season so far.

Really impressive win by the cats. Didn't think we'd have this kind of production with Pompey out. Loving it. Tomorrow should be the toughest game of the three, let's hope Zach has his good stuff.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I wouldn't have thought a 12 run victory would happen, but glad it did !

It is pretty insane. Cumbie is a junior who has a career ERA of 1.75. He's given up just 44 runs in almost 170 innings of work and just 9 home runs. UK put up 8 runs against him and hit 2 knocks. I believe a year ago Houston gave up double digit runs just 3 times and the most was 12. None were games when Cumbie pitched. Not sure what his worst outing was a year ago, but he finished the year 10-2. His worst outing was giving up 6 earned to Tulane in a win, he then blanked them in their next matchup.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Didn't get to follow the game tonight other than tweets, but seeing that final score...wow. Very impressive win for the Cats.

You called it. They start Trey Cumbie, a 6'2 lefty junior. He has 0-0 on the year with two starts and a 1.50 ERA. He has given up 2 runs on 4 hits in 12 innings of work.
Have good friend and his BIL that were there today... said the CATS looked good and th be stadium is beautiful

Remember when we had some concerns about the offense opening weekend? If we can get Thompson to come out tomorrow looking like his old self I am going to be pretty pumped going into next weekends series.

Really impressive win by the cats. Didn't think we'd have this kind of production with Pompey out. Loving it. Tomorrow should be the toughest game of the three, let's hope Zach has his good stuff.

What is interesting about Sam Houston State is that they really haven't fully established a weekend rotation yet. In game 1 they started Seth Ballew. He went 6 full and gave up 2 earned runs before giving up the ball to Riley Gossett. Hayden Wesneski then threw game number 2 and went a full 9 giving up no runs and just 2 hits. Dominic Robinson then pitched Sunday, but struggled and left the game after just 2.1 innings and after giving up 4 runs on 3 hits.

They didn't have a midweek game that week. They were set to play Houston, but it was cancelled, presumably because of rain. The next weekend they played Cincy and Gossett got the Sunday start with Ballew starting Saturday. Wesneski pitched Sunday and gave up 6 earned runs on 10 hits in 5.2 innings of work.

They then played 2 midweek games where Robinson pitched three innings on the 27th. Gossett pitched today against Vandy and struggled some.

So, UK could reasonably face either Ballew or Wesneski. Ballew is a 5'10 redshirt junior left-hander who has two starts and a 1.46 ERA on the season. He has pitched 12.1 innings and given up just 2 earned runs off of seven hits. Opponents are hitting a meager .179 against him. His "bugaboo" is that he has walked 7, but he has also recorded 13 strikeouts. On the other hand, literally, we could face Wesneski who is a 6'3 sophomore righty. Wesneski has one amazing outing and one horrible one and that has averaged out to an ERA of 3.68 over 14.2 innings. Opponents are hitting. 250 against him and he has 14 strikeouts.

While I fully imagine that SHSU will pitch Ballew, today's performance against a 2017 Second Team All American left-hander might have SHSU head coach, Matt Deggs, second guessing going with a lefty. The fact that they haven't really set a weekend rotation makes it somewhat possible that we see Wesneski. Still, I imagine we will see Ballew.

Impressive performance today. Go Big Blue! Do it again against Sam Houston!!

Not that I post vigorously on here either; but I do post.....where are the UK fans at? If this team doesn't get you excited as he'll then what does?

I asked to get it put on the pulldown that everyone sees a long time ago but I guess it just shows my lack of clout.
I think that would go a long way. Who's got the chutzpah it takes to make that happen around here. I'm not naive....the baseball forum won't ever get as many hits as the football and basketball, but our fans and Kentucky in general love baseball and this place isn't getting the kind of traffic I believe it could....which is to say not a lot but more than we're certainly seeing right now.

What is interesting about Sam Houston State is that they really haven't fully established a weekend rotation yet. In game 1 they started Seth Ballew. He went 6 full and gave up 2 earned runs before giving up the ball to Riley Gossett. Hayden Wesneski then threw game number 2 and went a full 9 giving up no runs and just 2 hits. Dominic Robinson then pitched Sunday, but struggled and left the game after just 2.1 innings and after giving up 4 runs on 3 hits.

They didn't have a midweek game that week. They were set to play Houston, but it was cancelled, presumably because of rain. The next weekend they played Cincy and Gossett got the Sunday start with Ballew starting Saturday. Wesneski pitched Sunday and gave up 6 earned runs on 10 hits in 5.2 innings of work.

They then played 2 midweek games where Robinson pitched three innings on the 27th. Gossett pitched today against Vandy and struggled some.

So, UK could reasonably face either Ballew or Wesneski. Ballew is a 5'10 redshirt junior left-hander who has two starts and a 1.46 ERA on the season. He has pitched 12.1 innings and given up just 2 earned runs off of seven hits. Opponents are hitting a meager .179 against him. His "bugaboo" is that he has walked 7, but he has also recorded 13 strikeouts. On the other hand, literally, we could face Wesneski who is a 6'3 sophomore righty. Wesneski has one amazing outing and one horrible one and that has averaged out to an ERA of 3.68 over 14.2 innings. Opponents are hitting. 250 against him and he has 14 strikeouts.

While I fully imagine that SHSU will pitch Ballew, today's performance against a 2017 Second Team All American left-hander might have SHSU head coach, Matt Deggs, second guessing going with a lefty. The fact that they haven't really set a weekend rotation makes it somewhat possible that we see Wesneski. Still, I imagine we will see Ballew.

Good info, thanks. Regardless of who pitches, I think they'll be tough as they (if I am remembering it right) beat Texas Tech in the regionals last year and then gave FSU all that they wanted in the supers. Big opportunity today for big blue

I think that would go a long way. Who's got the chutzpah it takes to make that happen around here. I'm not naive....the baseball forum won't ever get as many hits as the football and basketball, but our fans and Kentucky in general love baseball and this place isn't getting the kind of traffic I believe it could....which is to say not a lot but more than we're certainly seeing right now.

I think the regionals last year and the home crowds so far this year (at a time of year when UK home attendance is usually around 100 people in the cold and rain) suggest that UK fanbase is really excited about baseball. I agree though that I'm sure there are many on the forums who do not realize that this forum exists.

It's a process I think. Each year we seem to get a bit more support. I think the reporting from Jeff will really help the interest to grow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT