ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Evansville

Johnson lines one down the right field line and he clears the bases with a double!!! Have a game Ryan!! 6-1 Kentucky in the third with 1 out and a runner on second. Squires now up.

Squires singles through the left side. Not enough to score Johnson, but it put runners at the corners. Heyer then hit into a fielder's choice that gets Squires, but Heyer beat out the throw to avoid the double play. Johnson still unable to score. Dawson then grounds out to first to end the inning.

6-1 Kentucky going to the 4th.

Heyer gets a grounder over at third and makes the play for out number 1. Harper gives up a base hit that reached right field, but Johnson got to it quickly and limited them to just one base. A wild pitch advances the runner before Harper gets his 8th strikeout of the day. Heyer gets a grounder at third, but he sails it for a throwing error that scores a run for the Purple Aces. 6-2 with 2 outs and a runner at second.

Getting a little loose. Wild pitch and throwing error gives Evansville a run.

A grounder up the middle is gobbled up by Dawson to end the inning. 6-2 going to the bottom of the 4th.

Pompey reaches again on an infield single to shortstop. Dick Gabriel says he is now batting .400 on the season. A wild pitch advances Pompey to second.

Why is Dick Gabriel calling the game on radio?!

The normal radio baseball commentator doubles as the commentator for women's basketball. So, on weekends when the baseball team is on the road, or the women are on a road trip, Dick Gabriel fills in. Once women's basketball ends our new commentator will be on the radio full time and Gabriel, I believe, goes to the SEC Network video broadcasts.

Becker draws a 3-1 walk. Aklinski flies one into center and it gives Pompey the ability to tag up and puts runners on the corners with 1 out. Collette then sends one into right and it gives Pompey the ability to tag up for a sac fly RBI for Collette and it puts the lead back to five, UK up 7-2 with 2 outs in the 4th.

Becker thrown out stealing... we have been very poor at attempting steals so far this season.

Collett gets a sacrifice fly. I was asking earlier to see something from Collett. Looks like he is delivering. Becker gets caught stealing for the 2nd time. We were aggressive last year. Looks like the same thing this year. At times last year, it seemed almost reckless to me but I bet the players love the attacking style. Definitely not boring.

Junior Aaron McGeorge will now take the mound. The shortest pitcher we've seen this weekend goes just 5'11. He is originally a Lexington native, but he went the JUCO route to get to Kentucky. Bio says that he has a low 90s fastball and a good breaking ball.

McGeorge gives up an infield single to short to start the 5th inning. McGeorge gets his first strikeout as a Wildcat for the first out of the inning. UK gets a good double play ball up the middle and Dawson turns it quickly, but the speed of the hitter keeps Kentucky from getting both outs. Still, they get the fielder's choice for the second out of the 5th. A fly ball to left ends the top of the 5th.

7-2 UK leading.

Reactions: bradscats
Cottam flied out to left to start the bottom of the fifth. Johnson follows it up with his own flyout to left before Squires flies out to center. Quick inning there for UK.

McGeorge gives up an infield single to short to start the 5th inning. McGeorge gets his first strikeout as a Wildcat for the first out of the inning. UK gets a good double play ball up the middle and Dawson turns it quickly, but the speed of the hitter keeps Kentucky from getting both outs. Still, they get the fielder's choice for the second out of the 5th. A fly ball to left ends the top of the 5th.

7-2 UK leading.
Thanks for keeping the updates coming. I had to move away from the game so that is greatly appreciated.

One pitch one out for McGeorge as he gets a line out to third. He then gets a swinging strikeout for out number two. Becker shows some range at second as he moves towards the middle to grab a grounder for the third out of he inning. Very quick inning for the junior McGeorge.

Kentucky leading 7-2 going to the bottom of the 6th. 8, 9, 1 up.

Luke Heyer hits an absolute monster to start off the UK 6th and extend the lead to 8-2. Touch 'em all Luke! His second round tripper of the early season!

Harley Park goes 335-383-402-383-335. Heyer hit his blast over the scoreboard in left.

Dawson grounds out to short for the first out of the UK 6th. Dawson made it a pretty close play though. Pompey lines another one down the line. This one to left and Pompey pulls up at second with his second double, and third hit, of the day. Purple Aces are going to the bullpen once again. Going to a lefty to face Becker.

It is going to be the lefty Croner. Not sure if Becker is switch hitting or not. Becker goes down swinging for the second out of the inning. Pompey is caught off of second and is picked off to end the inning.

8-2 Kentucky going to the 7th. Combs now coming in to play first base for Squires.

It is going to be the lefty Croner. Not sure if Becker is switch hitting or not. Becker goes down swinging for the second out of the inning. Pompey is caught off of second and is picked off to end the inning.

8-2 Kentucky going to the 7th. Combs now coming in to play first base for Squires.
So if there is one thing that needs major work after four games we can safely say it is baserunning.

McGeorge gets the first out of the inning with a strikeout, of the backwards K kind. McGeorge then gives up a single through the right side. McGeorge works a full count, but gives up a walk to put runners on first and second. Belanger comes out to visit McGeorge and he may go to the bullpen soon. Maley up in the bullpen. McGeorge gives up a dying quail single into center that loads the bases.

So if there is one thing that needs major work after four games we can safely say it is baserunning.

Not sure what is up with the base running. Not sure if it is bad jumps or if we just don't have the speed, but we've not really even been close on our steal attempts that I've seen.

Base hit up the middle scores two runs for Evansville. Now 8-4 with runners on second and first and McGeorge's day is done. I imagine Maley will be coming in.

Maley gets a foul ball out to third base for the second out of the inning. Maley gets another foul out to third base. This one with Heyer making a great play near the wall to end the inning and the threat. Great job by Maley.

8-4 with Kentucky leading going to the bottom half of the 7th.

It seems Mingione wants extreme aggression on the base paths. We did this a lot last year. Seems like we had a lot more players picked off, caught stealing, etc than the teams we played.

Aklinski is thrown out by the SS in the UK 7th. Collette gets a free base after being hit by a pitch. Cottam follows it up by drawing a walk. New pitcher coming in for Evansville.

Shinn pinch hits for Johnson, but goes down looking for out number two. Combs now hitting. He lines one right at the center fielder and the inning ends. 8-4 going to the 8th.

Can someone help me out here ...I'm trying to either watch or listen to the game with NO luck . Went to ukatletics site a d every time I turn on the "live" feed it takes me to the 1st inning

Coleman coming in now and Combs fields a grounder at first and gets it back to Coleman for the first out. Coleman then got a fly out to right and a foul out to the catcher to end the top of the 8th.

Can someone help me out here ...I'm trying to either watch or listen to the game with NO luck . Went to ukatletics site a d every time I turn on the "live" feed it takes me to the 1st inning

Strange. Have you simply tried iheart radio and tuning to 98.1 or to 630WLAP?

Don’t want to pick on Dick Gabriel,but is absolutely boring to listen to,nice guy,but no playbyplay announcer!

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Heyer works a full count before striking out looking. Dawson hits a hard one to second, but is thrown out for the second out. Pompey remains perfect with his third double of the afternnon. He is 4 for 4 with a walk. Great day for the leadoff left fielder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT