ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky selected as mamba program

Kobe's killer instinct was second to Jordan only.

Watch the Redeem Team on Netflix to see the difference Kobe made with those guys.

Reactions: DraftCat
Loved Kobe as a player. To me I’ll be excited for the Mamba stamp however I can see the NCAA saying that is a unfair advantage and giving us post season ban for a few years. Just joking, kinda.

All seriousness I’m ecstatic UK got picked. I feel bad for his wife. I couldn’t fathom going through what she went through money or not. having to bury your spouse and child is unthinkable. Strong beautiful woman.

Reactions: DraftCat
I don't think this will have any real effect on our recruiting/success. Now, maybe that doesn't matter, as this was just a nice gesture from a coach who knew Kobe personally.. and maybe we leave it at that.

But yeah, I'm skeptical this will do much for kentucky recruiting. These HS kids were like 10 when Kobe last played (and more like 7 years old when he was last relevant). And it won't be long before none of them will even remember him playing. We can say that doesn't matter, that greatness is greatness.. but the age gap will always be relevant, and HS players are looking up to the guys who are 5 to 10 to 15 years older than them, not a player who would be approaching 50.

Ultimately, I think this is just a nice gesture on Cal's part.

If the gear is dope, (or fresh, or wet, or whatever the kids say now) and some young stars and celebs rock them, then it'll be 'cool'. And that couldn't hurt recruiting. More than likely it'll simply help sell more swag and up the Kentucky brand more than it'll help in recruiting.

I don’t know how much this matters if at all, but for everyone saying it doesn’t matter because these current recruits were so young when Kobe played…..do you think UNC no longer uses MJ for recruiting because he is too old for these kids?

I don’t know how much this matters if at all, but for everyone saying it doesn’t matter because these current recruits were so young when Kobe played…..do you think UNC no longer uses MJ for recruiting because he is too old for these kids?

The thing is, Jordan is a brand. I don't think 18 year olds are spending hundreds on Jordan's because they watched his highlights from the 1993 NBA playoffs.. they like the brand itself.

I'm not even sure if UNC really uses MJ for recruiting. It's all about the shoe brand, which apparently brings in $5 BILLION a YEAR.

I don't think this will have any real effect on our recruiting/success. Now, maybe that doesn't matter, as this was just a nice gesture from a coach who knew Kobe personally.. and maybe we leave it at that.

But yeah, I'm skeptical this will do much for kentucky recruiting. These HS kids were like 10 when Kobe last played (and more like 7 years old when he was last relevant). And it won't be long before none of them will even remember him playing. We can say that doesn't matter, that greatness is greatness.. but the age gap will always be relevant, and HS players are looking up to the guys who are 5 to 10 to 15 years older than them, not a player who would be approaching 50.

Ultimately, I think this is just a nice gesture on Cal's part.
Yeah but it was absolute tragedy of a death(s) and everyone knows how important Kobe is to the NBA, it will matter. Doubt a lot, I like the Drake NOCTA deal better assuming we can use NIL with it. Maybe we can with this too.

I don't know what's gotten into Cal, but something feels different with him lately.

This is a big deal I think. Wasn't really a "fan" of Kobe, but I respect how good he was, and no one should have to die like that, with his kid. Glad Kentucky was picked to carry on his name, in a way.

There’s so much tragedy in the world. What happened to him and his daughter and the other people in that crash was tragic.

Something eerily similar happened to a girl i went to high school with less than 3 weeks later. Except it was a car crash. 4 people. 2 adults. 2 12 year old girls. on the way to a volleyball tournament.

Leslie Drury was the woman’s name. She was a basketball and volley ball star at PRP. Went on to be an all conference volley ball player at UofL.

Still to this day I have a hard time talking about Kobe he meant that much to me growing up. I watched nearly every Lakers game I could and even when he retired his highlights every week. He was my MJ.

I'm beyond happy that UK is a Mamba program.

There’s so much tragedy in the world. What happened to him and his daughter and the other people in that crash was tragic.

Something eerily similar happened to a girl i went to high school with less than 3 weeks later. Except it was a car crash. 4 people. 2 adults. 2 12 year old girls. on the way to a volleyball tournament.

Leslie Drury was the woman’s name. She was a basketball and volley ball star at PRP. Went on to be an all conference volley ball player at UofL.

I knew Leslie. My younger brother dated her when they were in high school. Was very sad to hear that happened.

This is big for NIL. Anyone pay attention to the deal Wagner got? First of its kind. Nike just expanding their brand, UK gains a lot in NIL and Nike gets money from BBN purchases. UK just makes sense with the NBA players it produces and the largest fanbase in college basketball. The deal Wagner got just upped the anty for NIL.

What used to be illegal by the NCAA is now legal. Shoe companies are going to get highly involved in NIL.

If Kobe only winning 2 without Shaq drops him out of the top 5 then I guess the same could be said about Lebron since he only won 2 without Wade. (Both are ridiculous statements by the way as they are both top 5 no matter how many titles they won with or without Wade or Shaq)
Lebron was the best player on every team he won the finals with. Kobe had 2 finals MVPs out of 5. He won 2/5 being the best player is what I think the point was here.

Reactions: barton keyes
kobe and his agent also forced his way onto the lakers before he even played a game, the idea that he had too much competitive integrity to join a ‘superteam’ is pretty weak

he was better than lebron at making bad shots—which the sport as a whole has dramatically moved away from—and on-ball defense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT