ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky medical marijuana

ThroughBlue

All-American
Aug 21, 2005
Andromeda
Louisville Republican Rep. Jason Nemes and others unveiled House Bill 136 Wednesday to legalize medical marijuana

The overwhelming majority of the House of Representatives support medical marijuana. Let's put it to a vote and see what happens," Nemes said.

The bill will require patients to get a recommendation from their doctor.

Patients would have to pass a background check and would lose access if caught sharing their marijuana.

The bill also would provide for the strict regulation of growers and dispensaries. It also imposes taxes and fees on everyone from the patients to the dispensaries, but that money is supposed to go to regulators and law enforcement. The sponsors say this is a revenue neutral bill.

Some lawmakers see medical marijuana as a Trojan horse for recreational marijuana, or see more harm than benefits. Senate leaders have indicated they are skeptical, but the bill’s sponsors believe they have widespread support from both chambers. Some of those skeptics include key leaders who control whether bills get votes.

Senate president Robert Stivers expressed his skepticism of any benefits of marijuana.

While he said he is not fully opposed to the bill, he said supporters will need to show him the studies which prove some medical value.

Stivers is largely seen as one of the bill's largest roadblocks.

Link

Good. They need to pass this. I have an aunt with horrible arthritis, and I really think marijuana would give her some relief.

These old drifts can be skeptical all they want, but the benefits of medical marijuana are well documented. It's not really open to discussion.

Good. They need to pass this. I have an aunt with horrible arthritis, and I really think marijuana would give her some relief.

These old drifts can be skeptical all they want, but the benefits of medical marijuana are well documented. It's not really open to discussion.
I could use some real relief from my fibromyalgia without pain pills

I'm a stock holder. Legalization at the federal and state levels is coming......just a matter of time. I plan to make money off of it.

Which cannabis companies do you own out of curiosity?

And I agree...full recreational legalization nationwide is inevitable at this point. It may take another decade or more, but it's coming.

It really helped my back and neck pain while I was in Denver last year. Much better relief than my prescribed muscle relaxer and than was just the Recreational version the medical be even better (IMO).

Can you share links to the documentation showing the benefits of medical marijuana? I'm looking for controlled studies, not an aggregation of anecdotes.

Which cannabis companies do you own out of curiosity?

And I agree...full recreational legalization nationwide is inevitable at this point. It may take another decade or more, but it's coming.

Right now it's highly volatile. So, it's a very small portion of my overall portfolio. I recommend the same approach to anyone.....and they better be cool and patient. Plays in this area may take 5-10 yrs before things really get cooking.

These are my top 3....however, I would like to collect more going forward.

1. CGC - Canopy Growth Company - widely considered by most to be the best bet in the pot stocks. This is the one that I have most of my assets in. They have the most growth potential, already have in-roads into US markets, are already poised to break into US hemp, and is backed by Constellation beverages.

2. ACB - Aurora Cannabis - rumors swirl about Coke partnering with ACB.

3. NBEV - New Age Beverages - poised to make an impact in the pot beverage market

-I also have long held pharmaceutical holdings that are looking at capitalizing on the medical side.

Now would be a good time to buy in if you have the means. The US recently passed (a month ago) the Farm Bill which opened the US for utilization of hemp.....which has billion $ potential. CGC estimates to enter the US market later this yr. Full federal legalization can't be too far away.

Can you share links to the documentation showing the benefits of medical marijuana? I'm looking for controlled studies, not an aggregation of anecdotes.

Seriously?

Google "controlled studies on the benefits of medical marijuana" and you can easily find dozens of them from benefits to chrones disease patients to cancer patients. Literally no one with any semblance of intelligence and an open mind would dispute this.

Because marijuana is used to treat symptoms like pain and inflammation, the evidence has to be somewhat anecdotal because the way you measure pain is to ask someone how much pain they're in.

Seriously?

Google "controlled studies on the benefits of medical marijuana" and you can easily find dozens of them from benefits to chrones disease patients to cancer patients. Literally no one with any semblance of intelligence and an open mind would dispute this.

Because marijuana is used to treat symptoms like pain and inflammation, the evidence has to be somewhat anecdotal because the way you measure pain is to ask someone how much pain they're in.

Yeah, seriously.

I notice you didn't provide any links, but you did manage to butcher the spelling of Crohn's disease. That doesn't exactly give me confidence that you know what you're talking about.

Your second paragraph shows you don't understand how controlled trials work. Yes, pain has to be measured by asking a patient. But if the patient knows in advance what they are given/taking, then there is the HUGE possibility of placebo effect coming into play. Placebo effect is real, especially in pain control. The only way to test properly a treatment for pain is to do placebo-controlled double-blind studies.

And, unfortunately, there are very few of those when it comes to medical marijuana.

Hopefully that will change in the coming years so we can see what the real benefits and risks are.

Reactions: csrupp
I think a large part of fybro is withdrawal from the opiate pain meds people with it are taking. They try to stop and start hurting.

Why would people with fibro start taking opioids in the first place if they didn't already have pain?

(By the way, opioids are generally not an appropriate treatment for fibro, but no doubt they are sometimes prescribed for it.)

I have started to have anxiety the last couple years. I have already laid the groundwork with my physician. Plan on getting a card

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
I have started to have anxiety the last couple years. I have already laid the groundwork with my physician. Plan on getting a card

Any one with diagnosing power can give you the code for DX. You then take that paper work to a MD who has a state license to prescribe it. Takes 20 minutes to get prescribed. and it's GD awesome

Who would ever imagine the real gateway drugs are all the pain killers pharmaceutical companies pushed down people’s throats that didn’t need it. Now they have they score their fetanyl on the streets. But marijuana is so evil. Legalize it already.

It's OTC. That's why.

1. So is marijuana, where I live. Yet it's still prescribed by doctors here.

2. Doctors frequently recommend (but don't need to prescribe) OTC treatments.

3. Even though alcohol is "OTC," it's not available in all counties in Kentucky or several other states. Do states have counties where Tylenol is not allowed to be sold, or can't be sold on Sundays?

1. So is marijuana, where I live. Yet it's still prescribed by doctors here.

2. Doctors frequently recommend (but don't need to prescribe) OTC treatments.

3. Even though alcohol is "OTC," it's not available in all counties in Kentucky or several other states. Do states have counties where Tylenol is not allowed to be sold, or can't be sold on Sundays?

Not sure what the debate is on your post. Alcohol is OTC. America has been using alcohol for anxiety since it was invented.

Alcohol is federally legal. Weed isn't.

Reactions: awf
Good point about federal laws being different from state laws - it's the opposite of alcohol in that case. Alcohol is legal federally but restricted locally. Marijuana is legal locally but illegal federally. Totally inconsistent.

But just as America has been using alcohol for anxiety, America has also been self-medicating with marijuana. Why would we expect doctors to recommend (prescribe) one for an anxiety treatment but not recommend the other?

The risks/dangers of marijuana have clearly been overstated by the powers-that-be.

But now I see the benefits being overstated by the other side - or at least, the benefits being stated without proper supporting evidence. Are we really supposed to believe it's a magical plant that treats every ailment under the sun?

I'm all in favor of having medical med, or any active chemicals within, being properly tested to see what risk/benefit profiles we're really dealing with. It may very well have one or more legitimate medical uses; and if it does, it should be available as a treatment option.

Right now we have two sides debating this while relying on misinformation and partial information.

But just as America has been using alcohol for anxiety, America has also been self-medicating with marijuana. Why would we expect doctors to recommend (prescribe) one for an anxiety treatment but not recommend the other?

I'm guessing that alcohol would be hard to justify to prescribe considering it's over use can cause a plethora of health problems compared to marijuana.

I'm guessing that alcohol would be hard to justify to prescribe considering it's over use can cause a plethora of health problems compared to marijuana.

Doctors prescribe meds all the time that can cause significant health problems when overused (benzos, opioids, etc).

That's why they have to be prescribed. They have significant risks, but they also have benefits that outweigh those risks in certain circumstances.

(I think we're making a good case for legalization of mj and prohibition of alcohol here?!?)

It's a gamble so a broad investment approach probably works best since nobody knows which CBD or THC product will sell in the retail space or pass clinical trials in the medical space. Until that gets a whole lot clearer, smoke it, don't trade it.

Reactions: awf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT