ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky loses to Wisconsin

1966 and 1992 are in the top 3 but in 1966 UK was not unblemished and in the FF and 1992 was an elite 8 game.

Sorry but the loss to Wisky in the FF when UK was 38-0 and led by 4 and had the ball with 4 min takes the proverbial cake.

I get your point. To me, the Wisconsin loss was more frustrating than it was devastating. My personal opinion remains that the coaching staff soiled their britches once the clock reached the 4 minute mark, and the play on the floor during those final minutes reflected the lack of confidence on the sidelines. Some coaches thrive in that kind of situation, others wet themselves. The meltdown at the end of the Wisconsin game was all too similar to the meltdown in the final minutes during the 2008 national championship game. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The 2012 championship game wasn't a nail-biter - not a single member of the KY coaching staff was required to make any bold moves during the closing moments.

Last edited:
If the players themselves can get over it and move on with their lives, I feel sorry for the fan who cannot.

Pretty easy for them to get over it when they are heading off to the NBA. Makes you wonder how much it really and truly meant to them that so many could bolt for the league a mere couple of weeks after losing. If it was truly all for one and one for all, then why so quick to bolt? And before anyone starts in, I am completely aware of the money at stake and chasing their dreams blah blah and this is how Cal gets others to come to UK. I just don't think Ill ever believe that kids are truly eyeing a national title if they leave immediately after coming up just shy of it (mainly looking at Dakari)

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Karl Towns is going to be the first or second pick. Do you think he didn't give everything he had? Was Dekker looking ahead to the draft when he played poorly against Duke?

Pretty easy for them to get over it when they are heading off to the NBA. Makes you wonder how much it really and truly meant to them that so many could bolt for the league a mere couple of weeks after losing. If it was truly all for one and one for all, then why so quick to bolt? And before anyone starts in, I am completely aware of the money at stake and chasing their dreams blah blah and this is how Cal gets others to come to UK. I just don't think Ill ever believe that kids are truly eyeing a national title if they leave immediately after coming up just shy of it (mainly looking at Dakari)

At the time, a lot of us thought one of the main reasons they did that was to let the remaining top recruits know there were open spots on the team. Seemed like that could've been part of Cal's plan, frankly, and he always tries to keep UK in the headlines... but things didn't really work out with those recruits the way it was expected, unfortunately.

I also wanted Dakari to stay... but he had a couple sniffs from the NBA last year. So, I'm not shocked that he is reaching for the brass ring now.

Pretty easy for them to get over it when they are heading off to the NBA. Makes you wonder how much it really and truly meant to them that so many could bolt for the league a mere couple of weeks after losing. If it was truly all for one and one for all, then why so quick to bolt? And before anyone starts in, I am completely aware of the money at stake and chasing their dreams blah blah and this is how Cal gets others to come to UK. I just don't think Ill ever believe that kids are truly eyeing a national title if they leave immediately after coming up just shy of it (mainly looking at Dakari)[/QUOTE]

That is such a stupid take. I don't bust your balls as much as others but this is lacking in so many ways.

You really don't think the kids wanted to win the title? They were not focused, after winning 38 in a row?

This post is trolling for sh!t responses.

Of course we all know Cal wanted them to declare if they were leaving, he knew what shape we were in for the remaining recruits.

Geez Cut..

That is such a stupid take. I don't bust your balls as much as others but this is lacking in so many ways.

You really don't think the kids wanted to win the title? They were not focused, after winning 38 in a row?

Of course we all know Cal wanted them to declare if they were leaving, he knew what shape we were in for the remaining recruits.

Geez Cut..[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, I think it just stings a little more that something that they were so vested in quickly became an afterthought in the wake of NBA prosperity. Dakari really really wanted to win the title? He's a fringe guy, if it means that much to him why not come back and go for the title and go pro the next year?

It just feels so weird to get updates on these kids and their draft status daily on here and on KSR. Who they are working out for, etc etc. It feels weird to be so proud of how high they get drafted when they didn't achieve the ultimate goal. Why brag on draft status? If i were a fan of an opposing team and a UK fan approached me bragging about how many players were projected to get drafted and how high I would be like "awesome man, what did all those pro's get you?"

I just don't get it.

Geez Cut..

Fair enough, I think it just stings a little more that something that they were so vested in quickly became an afterthought in the wake of NBA prosperity. Dakari really really wanted to win the title? He's a fringe guy, if it means that much to him why not come back and go for the title and go pro the next year?[/QUOTE]

Been around you too long, I know you know the reason for that. The kid was told he would get picked, he was going to be in his 3rd year playing behind another freshman.

He wasn't going to jump any higher.

There are probably a lot of things you would like to do but you go out and earn a living instead.

Fair enough, I think it just stings a little more that something that they were so vested in quickly became an afterthought in the wake of NBA prosperity. Dakari really really wanted to win the title? He's a fringe guy, if it means that much to him why not come back and go for the title and go pro the next year?

Been around you too long, I know you know the reason for that. The kid was told he would get picked, he was going to be in his 3rd year playing behind another freshman.

There are probably a lot of things you would like to do but you go out and earn a living instead.[/QUOTE]

Added this to my other post

It just feels so weird to get updates on these kids and their draft status daily on here and on KSR. Who they are working out for, etc etc. It feels weird to be so proud of how high they get drafted when they didn't achieve the ultimate goal. Why brag on draft status? If i were a fan of an opposing team and a UK fan approached me bragging about how many players were projected to get drafted and how high I would be like "awesome man, what did all those pro's get you when they were at UK?"

But you are right, Dakari had probably reached his ceiling, sadly.

Not to be well I'm not sure what I am being. But why make posts like this 3 months after it happened. The loss hurt like heck but I got over it within a week. Sure it may still be in the back of my mind but making a new thread about it three months later is annoying.

Getting kind of sick of people saying Trill didn't show up. Anybody watching the game could obviously see that they effectively game planned for Willie. His defender sagged off him so much (almost disrespectful) that it forced Willie to shoot jumpers. When he missed the first one, you knew he wasn't going to be allowed to keep taking that shot. With Kaminsky floating on the perimeter, they took him out of the areas on the floor where WCS is most effective on defense. Jumpshooting team equals long rebounds and gives smaller players an advantage with their quickness. Just a bad matchup and game, but Willie was out there giving his all.

Some of you posters are complete morons. Wonder if they were invested???? Lol Those kids put blood sweat and tears in the program for the better part of a year. Or more. And what did you do? Most of you sat your fat asses on the couch watching the games. It is comical. And disgusting. Grow up. It was a tough loss no doubt. But don't act like you hurt more than the coaches and kids.

How long would our guys have needed to wait to declare in order to prove they care about the loss?

I mean, as mentioned, they've all said they still aren't over it, and God knows if they had said they were, folks would be on here crying about that, but apparently it's meaningless when they say the opposite.

I'm not certain when our fans will realize it, but no amount of whining or hand wringing or awful threads is going to change the outcome of the season. And it clearly isn't making anyone feel better, because the same handful are still using this place as their personal therapy session. So what gives?

I think we know.

Well. Let's take stock of the situation. We lost to Wisconsin in final four in basketball last season. We got one of their prized recruits in Brooke Morgan (6'5" Middle Blocker) as well as one of the best high school players in Wisconsin in Anna Nyberg from Tommahawk (6'2" Outside Hitter). From my perspective getting those two is gold.

Getting kind of sick of people saying Trill didn't show up. Anybody watching the game could obviously see that they effectively game planned for Willie. His defender sagged off him so much (almost disrespectful) that it forced Willie to shoot jumpers. When he missed the first one, you knew he wasn't going to be allowed to keep taking that shot. With Kaminsky floating on the perimeter, they took him out of the areas on the floor where WCS is most effective on defense. Jumpshooting team equals long rebounds and gives smaller players an advantage with their quickness. Just a bad matchup and game, but Willie was out there giving his all.

I think you need to watch the game over again. And when you do you need to pay more attention to WCS on the defensive end and take a look at his effort on the glass. It was non-existent. He just stood there and watched instead of finding a way to get the rebound. We got smoked on the glass but it wasn't just the wisky game either, it also happened in the Notre Dame game too and there is no excuse for that. Ypu can't give Wisky extra possessions like that but we did time and time again. I think our guys were over confident and thought that they didn't need to go 110% and that sucks. History was on the line but maybe they didn't care about that. So much stock is put on these players going to the league but I feel like your competitive spirit should drive you to finish the job before you move on.
This one hurt more than any other loss in my book but everyone has their own opinions about that.

Worst loss during my lifetime and I am almost 50.
I got 3 tougher losses for you........

- Losing to Georgetown in the Final Four when we led at halftime and we score 11 points in the 2nd half. Talk about a half of total destruction.

- Laettner's shot forever will be the shot that hurts the most........Woods hit the GW, we go to a timeout and the entire BBN is rejoicing only the have our hearts torn out by bad defense.

- The loss to UL in the Knoxville game in OT after struggling all game (84 or 85). We were never supposed to lose to the Cardinals.

I accepted the face we played too many close games last year, and it could have happened much sooner. Now was not the time to not execute in the final 4 minutes, no matter what you were up against. The Wisconsin defense was not that imposing.

Reactions: brianpoe
The loss to Wisconsin was hard. It was hard seeing the team collapse with a 4 point lead and 4 minutes to go in the game. The team was so close to something that we may never see in our lifetime and couldn't close the deal. It hurts, it sucks, it blows, but by gosh, we're fans of the Empire of College Basketball, let's hold our collective heads high and realize that where our team is at is an unparalleled level and may very well never be seen again.
7 years ago, we were trying to grasp a loss in the NIT Quarterfinals, not the National Semifinals.

There are probably a lot of things you would like to do but you go out and earn a living instead.[/QUOTE]

Fail all around.

There are probably a lot of things you would like to do but you go out and earn a living instead.

Fail all around.[/QUOTE]

The only fail is that you make the rest of us Republican veterans look bad with your dipshit posts.

Everyone keep harping on the four point lead with four minutes to go, but it's not like we led all game long. It was an up by five, down by six, up by three, down by 9 type of game. Our run happened to end because Bo Ryan told his team not to foul Andrew under any circumstances. If we had had the same whistle Duke got in the final game they would have called fouls anyway.

I got 3 tougher losses for you........

- Losing to Georgetown in the Final Four when we led at halftime and we score 11 points in the 2nd half. Talk about a half of total destruction.

- Laettner's shot forever will be the shot that hurts the most........Woods hit the GW, we go to a timeout and the entire BBN is rejoicing only the have our hearts torn out by bad defense.

- The loss to UL in the Knoxville game in OT after struggling all game (84 or 85). We were never supposed to lose to the Cardinals.

I accepted the face we played too many close games last year, and it could have happened much sooner. Now was not the time to not execute in the final 4 minutes, no matter what you were up against. The Wisconsin defense was not that imposing.

Georgetown in 84 better. UK not undefeated. UL in 83 better. UK not undefeated. Duke in 92 better. UK not undefeated. Wisconsin in 15 not better. UK undefeated. It was once in a lifetime. Try to have a stronger argument.

I don't think I will ever get over that loss until we win another National Championship, maybe have to beat Wisconsin along the way. Still sitting here after months and months and I watched one fan video of the game and I think it will take a lot longer to get over.
hey would have been worse if we had lost to Duke......that would have really sucked.

I was always devastated as a young kid when any sports team I was on lost. And later in life coaching youths in several sports, I still had a hard time with it. While coaching with an older man named Pops one fall ball season I heard him tell one of my players after a loss that it wasn't the end of the world, it was only a game. At the time I didn't think much about it but later as I grew older I realized that he was a very wise man.

It was heartbreaking. I was in attendance and it is a day I will never forget. April 4, 2015 a day that will live in infamy (for myself and many UK fans).

Looking back its not the loss that hurts so much, its the fact we didn't win. And i realize that sounds silly, but what I mean by it is that was going to be such an amazing event for me. I am a huge UK fan, watch every game, follow the team 365, but I live in Iowa and have only attended 4 games in my life. I spent 900$ for tickets to the final four and championship game tickets, it was going to be a lifetime highlight for me. A moment I would relish for the rest of my life. Watching my beloved team not only win a title, but make history in doing so. I loved that team and the players and still do. But man for that moment to be taken away hurts. And I know as many players have stated they'll never forget it either, it will haunt them worse then me. But it still really sucks. Some may disagree and call people names or whatever, but its to each his own. 4/4/15 will unfortunately be a date I never forget.

If I spent $900 to see it, yes, I would still be upset over it. But I was at home watching the Rex Chapman/Buzz Baker broadcast, and to be honest it was one of the easiest Final Four losses I've ever been through. All game long Rex and Buzz pointed out the missed calls on both sides, even ones I didn't see, and at the end when Wisconsin executed and we didn't, they said as much. Watching the game through that prism, I had to agree. We lost to a very good team that simply beat us the same way we had beaten Notre Dame the week before. We had too many kids who were shadows of their December selves, and we couldn't overcome that. In my opinion the pressure, like an anaconda, continued to squeeze on those kids until at the end there were only three or four who could play through it.

I think you need to watch the game over again. And when you do you need to pay more attention to WCS on the defensive end and take a look at his effort on the glass. It was non-existent. He just stood there and watched instead of finding a way to get the rebound. We got smoked on the glass but it wasn't just the wisky game either, it also happened in the Notre Dame game too and there is no excuse for that. Ypu can't give Wisky extra possessions like that but we did time and time again. I think our guys were over confident and thought that they didn't need to go 110% and that sucks. History was on the line but maybe they didn't care about that. So much stock is put on these players going to the league but I feel like your competitive spirit should drive you to finish the job before you move on.
This one hurt more than any other loss in my book but everyone has their own opinions about that.

I just went back and watched Willie on every single possession. Couple of things stood out.

- How amazing the alley oop was in the first half. If we had won the game, that dunk would be talked about much more.
- WCS guarding everyone from Kaminsky, Dekker, Hayes and Koenig. Whenever a perimeter player got the ball with WCS out there, Willie affected every shot and no one made perimeter jumper. Players were discouraged from doing anything when WCS was in position and in good stance. Kaminsky was successful with back cuts and coming off screens on two plays which Willie didn't get any help and ends up looking bad on the play.
- Amazing block on Kaminsky where he recovered on a driving Kaminsky. Move nobody in the country could make.
- Willie running the floor HARD. Was often the first player down the floor.
- Willie got most of the rebounds he should have. Wasn't in position for a lot of shot due to guarding a perimeter player a lot (What do you expect him to jump into someone's back?). Willie fighting hard on blocking out and battling with Hayes. Many times just bounced to area Willie had no way to get to.
- Bilas gushing about WCS play throughout the game.
- One or two times Willie over pursues a rebound and ends up under the basket putting himself out of rebounding position.
- Dribbles ball off his move on a spin move. One of those bad plays that you remember, but coaches don't really mind because he was being aggressive.

Overall I think Willie did a lot of little things that don't show up in the box score. Without Willie out there Wisconsin wins by even more. Couple of bad plays that stick out but he played hard all game and should not be singled out for playing poorly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT