ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Fans After Losses to Ranked SEC Opponents

Did you marry a happy that you felt you could build a great life, or did you pick one who you felt you would just build an average life with?

Why are we just aiming to be average? What's the point in being average? If you're not going to aim for the highest possibility, why have a program at all?
Isn't the point to aim to be the best?

Good Lord, no wonder America is so average in the world now. We have entire generations of Americans who claim they just settle for what's easy. Striving to be a real contender is just too hard guys.
Who says aiming to be average? You are twisting yourself into knots believing things not typed.

America is the greatest country in the world. Definitely not atevrage.

Who says aiming to be average? You are twisting yourself into knots believing things not typed.

America is the greatest country in the world. Definitely not atevrage.
What was twisted? This thread is about having average expectations.

What is America currently greatest at?

This thread is the epitome of why UK football will always be considered mediocre. When then fans don't demand more, it's hard to improve. I honestly think we should shudder the football program and focus on basketball. There is literally no point in having a football program if you're not aiming to win championships.

You gonna pony up the millions each year UK lacks n NIL to outrecruit Georgia, alabama, tn, Florida, lsu, auburn, Texas, Texas a and m and Oklahoma?

Come on buddy. Do it.

You gonna pony up the millions each year UK lacks n NIL to outrecruit Georgia, alabama, tn, Florida, lsu, auburn, Texas, Texas a and m and Oklahoma?

Come on buddy. Do it.
I would happily contribute if we had a coaching staff that was worth contributing to.

I don't think just one individual is expexted to fund NIl are they?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I would happily contribute if we had a coaching staff that was worth contributing to.

Our best isn't gonna out pay those other schools best. If that isn't obvious then you are beyond help.

cJUqBsE.jpg
That is the distribution of IQ with mean 100 and standard deviation of 15
It also illustrates the 68-95-99.7 Empirical rule

Is there a specific coach(es) out there that you think UK could get for $9 million a year that could take us to that next level?

Is there a specific coach(es) out there that you think UK could get for $9 million a year that could take us to that next level?
I think there are several now, we have watched several get hired elsewhere the last couple of seasons, and there will be more after this season ends.

9 million is very competitive in conference and nationally. We have shown the last 10 years we are willing to spend on the program. We have newer, pretty state of the art facilities. We have a fanbase that is hungry for more. We are in a much better situation than we have been the last few times we have had to do a coaching search. (And I give Stoops a lot of credit for that!) There is no reason ae can't go after and land successful coaches.

I think there are several now, we have watched several get hired elsewhere the last couple of seasons, and there will be more after this season ends.

9 million is very competitive in conference and nationally. We have shown the last 10 years we are willing to spend on the program. We have newer, pretty state of the art facilities. We have a fanbase that is hungry for more. We are in a much better situation than we have been the last few times we have had to do a coaching search. (And I give Stoops a lot of credit for that!) There is no reason ae can't go after and land successful coaches.
Is there anyone specific though that you feel we could get at $9 million and would take us to the next level?

Is there anyone specific though that you feel we could get at $9 million and would take us to the next level?
If you want proven, go get Urban Meyer. Horrible person, but a damn good coach who gets winning results.

I would reach out to Kalen Deboer. His contract is a 3rd of what we pay Stoops.

Michigan's OC is going to be a name to watch.

I would even consider giving Coen a shot and saving some money.

Matt House is intriguing, but too defensive minded.

If you want proven, go get Urban Meyer. Horrible person, but a damn good coach who gets winning results.

A couple of those are good names. IMO, DeBoer isn’t going anywhere that would be a step down. He’s coaching a top 10 program that is gwtting ready to increase their budget joining the B10.

Coen, House and Moore are total wild cards.

Urban is a pos that could bolt or quit in a heartbeat most likely…Mitch would never hire him so we would have to wait until he is gone.

I always go to the fact that there is isn’t this automatic answer. Could someone pan out? Sure. Or are we better in betting on a guy that has had 2 of the best seasons in our history over the past 5 years that would be the j the playoff talk when it goes to 12 teams.

I’m not as down in Stoops as many are. He has his faults, but I cringe at the thought of taking a gamble and ending up back in the sane spot we were when he took over

A couple of those are good names. IMO, DeBoer isn’t going anywhere that would be a step down. He’s coaching a top 10 program that is gwtting ready to increase their budget joining the B10.

Coen, House and Moore are total wild cards.

Urban is a pos that could bolt or quit in a heartbeat most likely…Mitch would never hire him so we would have to wait until he is gone.

I always go to the fact that there is isn’t this automatic answer. Could someone pan out? Sure. Or are we better in betting on a guy that has had 2 of the best seasons in our history over the past 5 years that would be the j the playoff talk when it goes to 12 teams.

I’m not as down in Stoops as many are. He has his faults, but I cringe at the thought of taking a gamble and ending up back in the sane spot we were when he took over
Any change is a risk, but that's how life works if you want to get ahead. Being fearful is never going to get us ahead.

The whole best season talk is a bit over done. We beat no one of significance. Even in the bowl games, opposing teams had some of their better players sit out.

I'm just to the point I either want to compete or just shut it down. Aiming for average is stupid.

Reactions: RipThru
Any change is a risk, but that's how life works if you want to get ahead. Being fearful is never going to get us ahead.

The whole best season talk is a bit over done. We beat no one of significance. Even in the bowl games, opposing teams had some of their better players sit out.

I'm just to the point I either want to compete or just shut it down. Aiming for average is stupid.
If beating a Florida team that finished 7th in the nation and a Penn State team that finished 17th in the nation in 2018 is no one of significance, then yes, you are correct.

I would argue that we have been above average in the SEC having finished 2nd in the East 3 times during the Stoop tenure.

I agree that there is a point you need to take another step. Maybe I’m a realist (others might say pessimist) when it comes to UK football. I can only think of 2 programs over the past 30 - 40 years that have take that next step and be able to sustain it….Oregon and FSU. And both those programs have things we will never have (Nike money and Florida recruiting.

If beating a Florida team that finished 7th in the nation and a Penn State team that finished 17th in the nation in 2018 is no one of significance, then yes, you are correct.

I would argue that we have been above average in the SEC having finished 2nd in the East 3 times during the Stoop tenure.

I agree that there is a point you need to take another step. Maybe I’m a realist (others might say pessimist) when it comes to UK football. I can only think of 2 programs over the past 30 - 40 years that have take that next step and be able to sustain it….Oregon and FSU. And both those programs have things we will never have (Nike money and Florida recruiting.
Penn St had a few of their more impact players sit out.

That 2018 UF finished tied with us in a pretty down year for the east. So that's not very significant to me, other than it ended a long losing streak.

No one is expecting us to be a yearly contender, but once every 4 - 5 years to realistically have a chance would be nice. We aren't getting there with Stoops.

You talk about it being a risk to hire a new coach, but it's just as risky keeping one that is losing fan support and could very likely cause the program to regress back. If that happens, it becomes a lot harder to get a solid replacement.

I can find countless programs that have strong seasons every few years. It's really not that difficult if you're willing to make the necessary coaching changes.

Again, if we can't have a program that is capable of being a contender, why have one at all? Just seems pointless.

That 2018 UF finished tied with us in a pretty down year for the east. So that's not very significant to me, other than it ended a long losing streak.

No one is expecting us to be a yearly contender, but once every 4 - 5 years to realistically have a chance would be nice. We aren't getting there with Stoops.

You talk about it being a risk to hire a new coach, but it's just as risky keeping one that is losing fan support and could very likely cause the program to regress back. If that happens, it becomes a lot harder to get a solid replacement.

I can find countless programs that have strong seasons every few years. It's really not that difficult if you're willing to make the necessary coaching changes.

Again, if we can't have a program that is capable of being a contender, why have one at all? Just seems pointless.

Why does mtsu have a football program? Why does vandy? And on and on. Most college football teams don't compete for a national title or the playoffs. Most conferences also aren't the sec.

We can probably go back and forth all day on this. We disagree on a few things. GBB.

Reactions: JPFisher
Why does mtsu have a football program? Why does vandy? And on and on. Most college football teams don't compete for a national title or the playoffs. Most conferences also aren't the sec.
They really shouldn't, it's pretty much a waste. However, MTSU at least has won a conference championship. Most don't invest 9 million in a head coach and 100s of millions into facilities to just be averag.
We can probably go back and forth all day on this. We disagree on a few things. GBB.
For sure. But if we are spending what we spend on football, I would want more than being average.

They really shouldn't, it's pretty much a waste. However, MTSU at least has won a conference championship. Most don't invest 9 million in a head coach and 100s of millions into facilities to just be averag.

For sure. But if we are spending what we spend on football, I would want more than being average.

It's not a waste, supports their entire athletics program and does at pretty much every school.

UK would win the sun belt or cusa almost every season. Not sure how you don't understand the sec is different.

• Haha
Reactions: F. Gallagher
It's not a waste, supports their entire athletics program and does at pretty much every school.

UK would win the sun belt or cusa almost every season. Not sure how you don't understand the sec is different.
It is a waste. Particularly when you consider what we spend in football. Our basketball program makes enough to support itself and other sports. If we're going to have the mentality that ever contending is just too hard at UK, just shutter it and be done with it.

Lol, we almost lost to EKU this year. We got beat by Vandy last year. I wouldn't expect us to win any other conference at a higher rate than we do the SEC. Particularly since we would have even less talent if we were in a lesser conference.

Also, most schools atheltics operate at a loss, even with football. UK has a surplus because we have good TV deals and conference sharing in the SEC.

It is a waste. Particularly when you consider what we spend in football. Our basketball program makes enough to support itself and other sports. If we're going to have the mentality that ever contending is just too hard at UK, just shutter it and be done with it.

Lol, we almost lost to EKU this year. We got beat by Vandy last year. I wouldn't expect us to win any other conference at a higher rate than we do the SEC. Particularly since we would have even less talent if we were in a lesser conference.

Our basketball program does not make enough to support all other programs.

We should shutter it as well until we get a new coach because we aren't winning anything that matters again with calipari.

Our basketball program does not make enough to support all other programs.

We should shutter it as well until we get a new coach because we aren't winning anything that matters again with calipari.

It really does. Our basketball program makes almost as the football program because it costs significantly less to operate.

Our basketball kind of has a history of winning and being relevant though. And we did just win the conference in 2020. When was the last time we even made an SEC Championship in football again?

It really does. Our basketball program makes almost as the football program because it costs significantly less to operate.

Our basketball kind of has a history of winning and being relevant though. And we did just win the conference in 2020. When was the last time we even made an SEC Championship in football again?

The sec has been a mid major conference n basketball historically as well.

We also have 4 national titled the past 65 years. Numerous programs have been better over that same period. You are living n a post ww2 and I like Ike nostalgic era world. Not a reality anymore.

The sec has been a mid major conference n basketball historically as well.

We also have 4 national titled the past 65 years. Numerous programs have been better over that same period. You are living n a post ww2 and I like Ike nostalgic era world. Not a reality anymore.
Not really. SEC has had some really good periods. SEC had some great teams in the 90s and has been really good the last several years. UF won back to back titles in the mid 2000s and Pearl had TN at a high level. Stallings had some good Vandy teams.

Only Duke and Uconn have more in that period, unless I am forgetting someone. I think UNC has the same amount. Wouldn't really say that is numerous. I think we may have mkre F4s and conference titles in that period as well.

Again, if you are okay with mediocrity in life, that is certainly your prerogative. I just have higher expectations. Particularly when you factor in what we pay and put into the program.

Not really. SEC has had some really good periods. SEC had some great teams in the 90s and has been really good the last several years. UF won back to back titles in the mid 2000s and Pearl had TN at a high level. Stallings had some good Vandy teams.

Only Duke and Uconn have more in that period, unless I am forgetting someone. I think UNC has the same amount. Wouldn't really say that is numerous. I think we may have mkre F4s and conference titles in that period as well.

Again, if you are okay with mediocrity in life, that is certainly your prerogative. I just have higher expectations. Particularly when you factor in what we pay and put into the program.

Ok dude. Go post this same garbage on the basketball forum. Why is calipari still our coach?

Talk about accepting below mediocrity at a program of UKs standards.

Ok dude. Go post this same garbage on the basketball forum. Why is calipari still our coach?

Talk about accepting below mediocrity at a program of UKs standards.
Lol, I wouldn't mind replacing Cal. I am just telling you the facts.

Yea, I agree, Cal hasn't been that good the last 3 years. Replace him! But he still also has 4 F4's, a championship. 7 E8's. Multiple SEC tournament championships and conference championships. I am just pointing out that is quite a reason to not shutter the program. Plus our total basketball history as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
The expectations of fans don’t matter at all in the grand scheme of things beyond their own mental health
That’s called the mindset of a loser. Watching losing fb is bad for mental health. Winning isn’t. Do the math

You can’t be this dense.

Why don't we go to Knoxville and offer Chumlee $11 Million and have instant offense.

I didn't read every post here, but I can tell from the demeanor of the first few that you are all younger than me. If you were my age, you would not be complaining about where our football team is. To say we should be competing for national championships because our coach is well paid, have you considered that you have to pay a coach well to stay at Kentucky? Rich Brooks told a caller once on the post game show when we were 2-10, "I wasn't the first person they called for this job, they are probably taking applications, apply." We are climbing the ladder, albeit a slow climb. But until you get in the top ten of college recruiting, you are not going to compete for a national championship in the SEC. People will say "what about TCU, or Cincinnati". But they played no one during the season, or maybe one good team. We play good teams every week. I've said it before, I'm an old man and would love to see us compete for the SEC title or the national championship, but I doubt it will happen in my life time. As long as you younger guys complain about progress being too slow, it won't happen in your's either. Let it happen. It takes time.
I appreciate your thoughts. I, like you ol’ timer, have been at UK games since 1977. Never have we had so many ch talent, and did less with it from now. You make the point we play good teams every week. That’s not true. Look at our first five games this year. They aren’t good. They were W’s we had to warm the team up and make us bowl eligible. We do this nearly every year.

I really appreciate Coach Stoops…. But right now, defending everything in this program isn’t correct. Time has kinda run out in my mind. If we loose this one, and I sure hope we don’t, the season will be classified as a top ten failure in UK Football history in my opinion.

Reactions: RipThru
Not about aiming, it’s about understanding what is probable.

I aim to marry a supermodel but doesn’t mean there’s no point to marrying because I still got a great one who isn’t walking the cat walk.
Have millions of dollars, you will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT