ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Fans After Losses to Ranked SEC Opponents

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
cJUqBsE.jpg

I think us fans have all right to be upset.
- Some of the best core WR returning in the SEC.
- Great RB transfer and a good supporting cast of RB
- Traditional Brad White defense to lean on overall
- OL transfers to upgrade
- The BEST QB In the transfer portal
- A great OC up grade
- National media love to UK and hype

I’m not saying this team is bad as last night against UT was crazy much improved in the passing game.
But us fans are saying with the talent and MONEY PAID OUT to our coaching staff.
We have not achieved goals set out.
And overall under performed overall so far.

That said win Miss St, SC, Louisville / loss to AL - and all will be forgiven and rolling into a good bowl and momentum for next season.

Just as confusing as watching this team this year.
My bad. Let me explain.

It means people who have little knowledge and a lot of knowledge tend to have the same views. In this case, they have similar expectations for Kentucky football. Meanwhile, people with some knowledge, but not advanced levels, are angry and wrong.

This is sometimes referred to as the IQ Bell Curve meme. But I’m not judging IQ just football knowledge :)

My bad. Let me explain.

It means people who have little knowledge and a lot of knowledge tend to have the same views. In this case, they have similar expectations for Kentucky football. Meanwhile, people with some knowledge, but not advanced levels, are angry and wrong.

This is sometimes referred to as the IQ Bell Curve meme. But I’m not judging IQ just football knowledge :)
Your data is faulty, we'll be lucky to get to 6 wins this year.

I could see it in both ends of the spectrum with the eight win crowd but we win seven last year, will be lucky to win six this year, and it’s not going to get any better next year with OU and Texas coming into the conference. Do you lower the satisfied and “knowledgeable” fans expectations bottom line to seven next year, maybe six the following? And it always gives me a chuckle when some people think they have advanced football knowledge that’s solely based on someone who doesn’t agree with them.

8 wins is good considering.......
Hell I'll take 6 just as long we are competitive in all games but Georgia which we ARE.
Just have a chance. This is a basketball school any damn way. Dont get twisted n your brain.

My bad. Let me explain.

Thanks for the lesson braniac.

Reactions: YaketySax
Given our schedule this year 8 wins WOULD be an excellent record,especially since Mizzou and UL are MUCH better than predicted. I find it unlikely based on what Ive seen so far that we beat UL, so 7 Wins looks like the ceiling at this point.

I didn't read every post here, but I can tell from the demeanor of the first few that you are all younger than me. If you were my age, you would not be complaining about where our football team is. To say we should be competing for national championships because our coach is well paid, have you considered that you have to pay a coach well to stay at Kentucky? Rich Brooks told a caller once on the post game show when we were 2-10, "I wasn't the first person they called for this job, they are probably taking applications, apply." We are climbing the ladder, albeit a slow climb. But until you get in the top ten of college recruiting, you are not going to compete for a national championship in the SEC. People will say "what about TCU, or Cincinnati". But they played no one during the season, or maybe one good team. We play good teams every week. I've said it before, I'm an old man and would love to see us compete for the SEC title or the national championship, but I doubt it will happen in my life time. As long as you younger guys complain about progress being too slow, it won't happen in your's either. Let it happen. It takes time.

I didn't read every post here, but I can tell from the demeanor of the first few that you are all younger than me. If you were my age, you would not be complaining about where our football team is. To say we should be competing for national championships because our coach is well paid, have you considered that you have to pay a coach well to stay at Kentucky? Rich Brooks told a caller once on the post game show when we were 2-10, "I wasn't the first person they called for this job, they are probably taking applications, apply." We are climbing the ladder, albeit a slow climb. But until you get in the top ten of college recruiting, you are not going to compete for a national championship in the SEC. People will say "what about TCU, or Cincinnati". But they played no one during the season, or maybe one good team. We play good teams every week. I've said it before, I'm an old man and would love to see us compete for the SEC title or the national championship, but I doubt it will happen in my life time. As long as you younger guys complain about progress being too slow, it won't happen in your's either. Let it happen. It takes time.
For $9M a year, you'd think we could afford a coach who can recruit in the top 5 in the SEC. I guess not?

But yeah, Lane Kiffin got Ole Miss to the Sugar Bowl in year 2. You know. Ole Miss, that massive football power.

For $9M a year, you'd think we could afford a coach who can recruit in the top 5 in the SEC.
SEC recruiting rankings in 2023:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Florida
6. Texas A&M

I think if your expectations are for a Kentucky coach to break into that top 5 with UK's in-state recruiting base then you are setting yourself up for being disappointed. Jimbo makes $100 million guaranteed, has TX in-state recruiting, and couldn't break into the Top 5.

(Besides the point you're guilty of overemphasizing recruiting over a balanced approach of: recruit, portal, and develop).

The expectations of fans don’t matter at all in the grand scheme of things beyond their own mental health
Stop showing up to games and see how quickly fans expectations start to matter.

To get more, you gotta want more. When you want more you expect more. Stoops has done a good job of getting UK to this point. Have they peaked? We shall see. But the fact that nobody wants to talk about is that UK has invested more in football than at any time in their history. Stadium reno, practice facility, a pay raise, pay raises for his assistants, increase in recruiting budget...he's never been told "no". It's ok to expect more.

I think some are concerned we see stuck on a rung and will end up descending due to NIL.

We also play in the SEC and with Texas abd Oklahoma joining gonna be even tougher to climb.

It's all irrelevant in the grand scheme of life anyways but sports are a passionate hobby.

SEC recruiting rankings in 2023:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Florida
6. Texas A&M

I think if your expectations are for a Kentucky coach to break into that top 5 with UK's in-state recruiting base then you are setting yourself up for being disappointed. Jimbo makes $100 million guaranteed, has TX in-state recruiting, and couldn't break into the Top 5.

(Besides the point you're guilty of overemphasizing recruiting over a balanced approach of: recruit, portal, and develop).
Stoops can't develop. His best successes have been from the transfer portal.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
Stoops can't develop. His best successes have been from the transfer portal.
lol. I wasn't aware the following NFL draft picks were all transfers:

2014 - Avery Williamson
2015 - Bud Dupree, Zadarius Smith
2016 - Josh Forrest
2019 - Josh Allen, Lonnie Johnson, Mike Edwards, Benny Snell, George AA
2020 - Lynn Bowden, Logan Stenberg
2021 - Jamin Davis, Quinton Bohanna, Landon Young, Phil Hoskins
2022 - Josh Paschal, Luke Fortner, Darrian Kinnard
2023 - Chris Rodriguez, Carrington Valetine

yup, all were from the portal

Last edited:
I didn't read every post here, but I can tell from the demeanor of the first few that you are all younger than me. If you were my age, you would not be complaining about where our football team is. To say we should be competing for national championships because our coach is well paid, have you considered that you have to pay a coach well to stay at Kentucky? Rich Brooks told a caller once on the post game show when we were 2-10, "I wasn't the first person they called for this job, they are probably taking applications, apply."

People have no clue about Rich Brooks and just how great a coach and person he is. Real as it gets and a tough dude.

We are climbing the ladder, albeit a slow climb. But until you get in the top ten of college recruiting, you are not going to compete for a national championship in the SEC. People will say "what about TCU, or Cincinnati". But they played no one during the season, or maybe one good team. We play good teams every week. I've said it before, I'm an old man and would love to see us compete for the SEC title or the national championship, but I doubt it will happen in my life time. As long as you younger guys complain about progress being too slow, it won't happen in your's either. Let it happen. It takes time.

Kansas beat Oklahoma so we must beat Bama.
Even if the stars align where a UK team can somehow be able to block, tackle, catch passes and not commit penalties at crucial moments to be able to beat Alabama, the unconquerable variable is $EC officiating since there’s still a chance for UA to make the playoffs. Prob be a good game to watch but also more than likely not a UK win.

Reactions: grevey35
People have no clue about Rich Brooks and just how great a coach and person he is. Real as it gets and a tough dude.
I agree 100%. My issue is just that many only use him as an argument against Stoops. To me it is more evidence of the difficulty when a great coach such as Brooks struggled to break through here. His main issue here was just being outmanned too often. Not just any coach is going to have near the pull that Stoops/Marrow have in Ohio. Of course they want and go after great players any where they can get them but it's tough going head to head with those locals. Brook's Georgia recruiting along with some quality Ky guys provided some good years.

This thread is the epitome of why UK football will always be considered mediocre. When then fans don't demand more, it's hard to improve. I honestly think we should shudder the football program and focus on basketball. There is literally no point in having a football program if you're not aiming to win championships.

There is literally no point in having a football program if you're not aiming to win championships.
Not about aiming, it’s about understanding what is probable.

I aim to marry a supermodel but doesn’t mean there’s no point to marrying because I still got a great one who isn’t walking the cat walk.

For $9M a year, you'd think we could afford a coach who can recruit in the top 5 in the SEC. I guess not?

But yeah, Lane Kiffin got Ole Miss to the Sugar Bowl in year 2. You know. Ole Miss, that massive football power.

5 years in, they were saying “everyone knows it takes 10 years to build a program”. Now at 11, it’s like “everyone knows it takes 15-20 years to build a program”.

This thread is the epitome of why UK football will always be considered mediocre. When then fans don't demand more, it's hard to improve. I honestly think we should shudder the football program and focus on basketball. There is literally no point in having a football program if you're not aiming to win championships.
Unfortunately, the basketball landscape appears to be changing in the conference. What was once a cakewalk is no more. Let’s see what happens with expectations then.

Not about aiming, it’s about understanding what is probable.

I aim to marry a supermodel but doesn’t mean there’s no point to marrying because I still got a great one who isn’t walking the cat walk.
Did you marry a happy that you felt you could build a great life, or did you pick one who you felt you would just build an average life with?

Why are we just aiming to be average? What's the point in being average? If you're not going to aim for the highest possibility, why have a program at all?
Isn't the point to aim to be the best?

Good Lord, no wonder America is so average in the world now. We have entire generations of Americans who claim they just settle for what's easy. Striving to be a real contender is just too hard guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT