ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky contacts nation's No. 3 scorer entering transfer portal

Got to have some scorers from the guard spot.I doubt he would avg 20 a game here but he can shoot and we need scorers.

Edit: I thought the article was about Antonio Reeves. The comments below are about Reeves.

On one hand he is 6’6 and can shoot.

On the other hand, he has played the majority of his minutes against mid-major competition.

An intriguing prospect. I would add him for depth at the very least.

Last edited:
Reactions: westerncat

On the other hand, he has played the majority of his minutes against mid-major competition.

The article says he's 6' 1"

Reactions: chroix
I'm not dure if these mid major kids are the answer. Scoring 20ppg against Wayne State is one thing, doing it against power 5 competition is a completely different ballgame.

Cal should stick with guys that have proven it at the power 5 level.
Agreed.

I might take a chance on Reeves as a backup/flier type since he is 6’6 and can shoot, but overall we are better off poaching talent from mid-level P5 programs.

Edit: I thought the article was about Antonio Reeves. The comments below are about Reeves.

20 points/game against mid majors = 12 points/game at Kentucky.

Reactions: kyjeff1
J1eBJJB.png

Reeves is being recruited to be Grady’s replacement
Possibly. Probably have a similar role, especially on offense. Not sure how he will fair in the SEC against 6’5-6’6, 200-210 lbs. guys at the 3, since he is just 185 lbs.

I would like to see him at the 2 as insurance for an injury prone Fredrick.

Reactions: westerncat
Possibly. Probably have a similar role, especially on offense. Not sure how he will fair in the SEC against 6’5-6’6, 200-210 lbs. guys at the 3, since he is just 185 lbs.

I would like to see him at the 2 as insurance for an injury prone Fredrick.
That’s kinda what I was hoping maybe allow him to play make or create more than Grady did because it looks like reeves is good at doing that some, to me it will interesting to see how interested Kentucky actually is in the Davis from Detroit

Based upon the posts here we have contacted about 30 players. Evidently contact doesn't equal a commitment to us. Just read one of those contacts just signed with Auburn.
Right they’re casting a wide net, which is very smart. You want as many quality options as you can and then you narrow it down from there

So many on this board crushed Davion Mintz because he was a mid major talent that had limitations (I don't share that opinion, but I do agree he wasn't a bigtime weapon) and in my opinion, as good of a shooter as Grady was, he had too much of the Davidson culture in him. He stood out on the perimeter waiting for the ball to find him and it worked against incompetent defenses for the most part, but that's some mid major stuff there that won't cut it once you get scouted.

I liked both players, but there is a difference between mid major players and legit power 5 guys.

I'm not sure if these mid major kids are the answer. Scoring 20ppg against Wayne State is one thing, doing it against power 5 competition is a completely different ballgame.

Cal should stick with guys that have proven it at the power 5 level.
He has put up 27 on UofL, 26 on MSU, 28 on NCSU, 27 on Clemson, 27 on ND, 31 (!!!!) on Gonzaga. He can clearly score against high level teams and his play has shown it.

Based upon the posts here we have contacted about 30 players. Evidently contact doesn't equal a commitment to us. Just read one of those contacts just signed with Auburn.
That is correct. It’s the same with offers. No one gets every player they offer.

If Kentucky doesn’t change it’s offense it’s irrelevant what anyone scored for a previous school.

If Kentucky doesn’t change it’s offense it’s irrelevant what anyone scored for a previous school.
Even playing the last quarter of the season with 2 of our best 3 offensive players hobbled, we were still 14th in the nation in scoring.

Reactions: rupp876
Yeah, if only UK could get a coach that would lead us to a top 5 offense.

Oh, wait….https://kenpom.com/

I think we would be better off with Fredrick in a Grady role, except as the 2 guard (like Murray, Monk, Lamb, Harrison, etc.). When healthy, Fredrick is the perfect complement for Tshiebwe on the perimeter. He is a baller, but needs to get and stay 100% healthy. And proven at a high level.

Wallace at the 1, Miller at the 3, and Livingston at the 4 to finish out the starting five. Bring Wheeler, Toppin, and Collins off the bench. Add Reeves to backup Fredrick and Miller. If Fredrick gets hurt (as per his MO), move Reeves into the the 2 spot.

I know Miller is a long shot, but I would love to have him at the 3 spot.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT