ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2025

I have updated the front with what I found that I am missing, but if someone/anyone sees anything that is incorrect, please point it out so I can correct it.

Also, if there is any more information that you might like let me know and I'll see what I can cobble together with my limited knowledge.

Reactions: TX-Wildcat
Sucks that McCarthy is gone.

Very tough loss in my opinion. McCarthy could have possibly gone pro and I would have expected that more than a transfer. He was kind of a heart and soul type guy in my opinion and that will be extremely hard to replace. Also has the experience of a CWS and he'll take that to another team the same way Daly brought that experience to us this past year. Wish him the best of luck, but wish he would have stuck with UK.

Nolan's decision is just a product of today's landscape. All of his best friends are going to be gone. The coach he was closest to is gone. He just reached baseball mecca. He's graduated. It makes sense if you look at it from his perspective (and let me be clear, this is a GUESS).

The way the portal/free agency/draft is set up now the reasons for leaving, generally, are.

1. Playing time.

If that's not an issue, it's likely:
*Not getting enough NIL and think you can (or do) get more elsewhere
*Coach leaves
*Leverage in draft (to get teams to pay you).
*Grass is always greener (human nature)

Rarely is it:
The program is on fire

Kentucky has a pretty darn good track record in the portal in terms of talent/fit. I'd guess it'll end up being just fine.

Rarely is it:
The program is on fire

Very good point. I certainly don't think this is an on fire situation. Just stinks for us. We are already losing a large core of our CWS team and it would be really good to have some continuity. McCarthy looked to be one that could provide that along with a lot of the other intangibles he brings. I don't blame him for looking elsewhere. Certainly not mad at him for doing what is best for him and wish him the best of luck.

Reactions: backinky2018
Very good point. I certainly don't think this is an on fire situation. Just stinks for us. We are already losing a large core of our CWS team and it would be really good to have some continuity. McCarthy looked to be one that could provide that along with a lot of the other intangibles he brings. I don't blame him for looking elsewhere. Certainly not mad at him for doing what is best for him and wish him the best of luck.
No doubt. And that wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just an out loud thought (with limited knowledge) on the gloom and doom that tends to take place in situations like this.

My bigger worry is IF we take a step back next year (which was a legit question BEFORE the 2024 run) that fans will say I told you so and jump off the wagon.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
No doubt. And that wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just an out loud thought (with limited knowledge) on the gloom and doom that tends to take place in situations like this.

My bigger worry is IF we take a step back next year (which was a legit question BEFORE the 2024 run) that fans will say I told you so and jump off the wagon.
I believe CNM can pull together a good team for next year. It just won't like this year.

I was really looking forward to seeing Nolan play next year. This one hurts...bad.

Ohh, I know. Just wanted to address your good point.

You know I was a detractor and Mingione has made me eat the crow I deserve. At this point, he's earned patience. I said that the key for me was consistency. I want to consistently see us be a contender (by this, I mean NCAA tournament berths), but the more success you have in a given year, the more, IMO, a down year can be accepted. We went to the Supers and then went immediately to the CWS. If we have a down year or two then I think that is understandable and I don't think it should scare off anyone. It will scare off some of the bandwagon fans that jumped on this year, but that is probably to be expected. I don't think anyone, even with a step back next year, should consider this a flash in the pan. If we are 3-4 years down the road and we still haven't made the NCAA tournament again then we can revisit that discussion, but I think Mingione has found the right receipe with the transfer portal and guys fitting his formula that we won't be looking at a situation like that. If we have those naysayers next year with a step back then I'll be here to set them straight. 😜

Ohh, I know. Just wanted to address your good point.

You know I was a detractor and Mingione has made me eat the crow I deserve. At this point, he's earned patience. I said that the key for me was consistency. I want to consistently see us be a contender (by this, I mean NCAA tournament berths), but the more success you have in a given year, the more, IMO, a down year can be accepted. We went to the Supers and then went immediately to the CWS. If we have a down year or two then I think that is understandable and I don't think it should scare off anyone. It will scare off some of the bandwagon fans that jumped on this year, but that is probably to be expected. I don't think anyone, even with a step back next year, should consider this a flash in the pan. If we are 3-4 years down the road and we still haven't made the NCAA tournament again then we can revisit that discussion, but I think Mingione has found the right receipe with the transfer portal and guys fitting his formula that we won't be looking at a situation like that. If we have those naysayers next year with a step back then I'll be here to set them straight. 😜
If people jump off the ship it will at least make the game threads more bearable.

I’m all in on CNM I think the portal is his thing and IMO that’s the way to go. Go find kids that played elsewhere that have 2/3 years experience playing D1 baseball
He’s got the last 2 years to recruit on plus he showed a good culture that kids will want to come to
Just got to make good evaluations and hope for the best

This kid's perfect game lists him as a C/1B, 3B, OF, RHP, UT. That is a heck of a lot of versatility and leads me to think that he will be hard to keep off the field in some capacity next Spring.

Schwartz is a good get. The upside of having so many open roster spots at the moment is UK can land a decommitment like this while many schools don’t have money for a freshman, even really good ones. He’s physical enough to have a shot to play early depending on what else happens with the roster. He’s a guy that, while not an elite runner, certainly runs well enough to have position flexibility if he shows he can hit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT