ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2025

Believe there have been 11 transfers in and 10 transfers out. Zach Hise is the latest to enter

This is a leverage play. He was basically unavailable the final two months of the season and there were questions how much of it was health vs. protecting draft stock, even from some inside the locker room. Make your own determination on that.
That would help explain the inconsistent usage down the stretch. Any insight on what we may still be looking for out of the portal?

This is a leverage play. He was basically unavailable the final two months of the season and there were questions how much of it was health vs. protecting draft stock, even from some inside the locker room. Make your own determination on that.
I think the primary issue with smith is he isn’t a fit with the staff’s style of pitcher they lean on. They tend to do ‘keep the ball low’ primarily pitch to contact guys. It doesn’t fit his strengths in pitching and he knows he needs to start feeding into his strengths. Either with another program or getting our staff to relent on what they are calling for him pitch wise.

Fangraphs has a draft combine article that mentions two potential UK guys.

Tyler Bell, SS, Lincoln-Way East HS (IL) – Kentucky commit

Perhaps our favorite all-around player from the Combine, Bell is a switch-hitter who showed authoritative, rhythmic swings from both sides of the plate, with his right-handed hacks producing more raw power. He drove the ball into both gaps during his left-handed rounds, with occasional over-the-wall pull-side pop. His right-handed rounds were heavy on hard, elevated contact, and he showed above-average raw power overall while hitting right-handed. Both strokes are compact, and he showed feel for manipulating the barrel in the zone. Bell also had one of the better infield sessions of the high school prospects. He’s had trouble hitting spin in games.

Jackson Strong, OF, Canisius University

Strong spent the last three years at Canisius University in New York, but will transfer to Kentucky next year if he returns to the amateur ranks. He has a lean, medium frame, and he hits out of an upright stance with a leg lift stride. His high back-elbow load creates natural loft in his path, which stays in the zone for a long time, and he has feel for manipulating the barrel. All of his over-the-wall power came to the pull side, and while it wasn’t the loudest raw at the event, Strong produced some of the most consistently authoritative contact in attendance. He swing is sweeter looking than it is explosive.

We're going to be not so good without some major additions. Really wish we'd have gone after the Idiana State SS, although the dude we got should be pretty good. Seems like if they didn't graduate they're going pro or transferring. Whatever happened to developing young talent and having them ready to step in. It would be nice to be able to fill those holes with guys next in line, instead of having to find a replacement elsewhere.

We have Strong and Lawrence as two of our top 4 in the lineup I’d say. Still need a power bat or two at the corner INF spots. Unless we plan to move Small to 1st

Reactions: parrott
I would think Luke Lawrence, Cole Hage, Raphael Pelletier and possibly Trent Youngblood will be starters out of the portal.

Jackson Strong and Nolan McCarthy could possibly have draft decisions to make.

I think there is a good chance Eli Small and Ethan Hindle are returnees who could move into a starter role.

Still could use a couple more big bats. Was hoping we could get Gaffney but maybe we will have better luck and can get Isaac Humphrey transfer Louisville who is from Owensboro.

Last edited:
Reactions: parrott
Wonder if Schott from Texas A&M is a possibility? He and Hage played together at Columbia and appear to be very close.

So Nick Ammirati is leaving for Georgia……was it him or Will Coggins that was out of baseball when we hired them a few years ago?

And what would be the prospects for replacing him?

• Sad
Reactions: Girthang
So Nick Ammirati is leaving for Georgia……was it him or Will Coggins that was out of baseball when we hired them a few years ago?

Lead recruiter for much of our roster. Sucks to let him go without a fight

Will Coggin was recruiting coordinator from 2020-2023. Cousino took over last summer

Cousino is coord, but Ammo was lead recruiter for a good number of our players (either committed or on campus, not sure which) according to articles about him heading to Georgia

Coggin was an agent prior to UK. Ammo was at Southern Miss.

Ming has done pretty well upgrading his staff over the years. I think he'll find a solid replacement once again.

Cousino is coord, but Ammo was lead recruiter for a good number of our players (either committed or on campus, not sure which) according to articles about him heading to Georgia
I think I saw that article just not sure how accurate it is. Ammirati was the volunteer coach until this year when a 3rd paid assistant was approved by the NCAA. My understanding is volunteer coaches couldn’t recruit off campus

I think I saw that article just not sure how accurate it is. Ammirati was the volunteer coach until this year when a 3rd paid assistant was approved by the NCAA. My understanding is volunteer coaches couldn’t recruit off campus
I believe Cousino isn’t responsible for any players who just played at UK in 2024, but will be responsible for the HS commitments when they start back up this fall.

Ammirati and Coggin are responsible for the team this past spring and Ammirati had recruited almost the entire portal class this summer.

I believe Cousino isn’t responsible for any players who just played at UK in 2024, but will be responsible for the HS commitments when they start back up this fall.

Ammirati and Coggin are responsible for the team this past spring and Ammirati had recruited almost the entire portal class this summer.
Ammirati was definitely a big part of recruiting this portal class so it will be interesting to see if we lose any of them.

There is probably some truth to that but Cousino was solely responsible for getting Daly to campus and Nicholson is on record as saying when he was hired that was one of the final pieces for him.

Reactions: briarcreek
There is probably some truth to that but Cousino was solely responsible for getting Daly to campus and Nicholson is on record as saying when he was hired that was one of the final pieces for him.
Cousino had some connections with agents but Ammirati wanted both of them and made the decisions to go after both.

I am worried about who we begin to target when all of the people who’ve made those decisions are no longer at UK.

I feel good about what we have to sell and Mingione, Roszel, and Cousino having strong contacts in the region.

Cousino had some connections with agents but Ammirati wanted both of them and made the decisions to go after both.

I am worried about who we begin to target when all of the people who’ve made those decisions are no longer at UK.

I feel good about what we have to sell and Mingione, Roszel, and Cousino having strong contacts in the region.
I really have no concerns. Out of all of the decisions Mingione has made in his tenure, his assistants are about the only thing that you can’t question it. In reality, I think Coggin was the weakest assistant he has had in his tenure and he’s on a big time staff. Wouldn’t be shocked if this hire ends up being an upgrade.

I really have no concerns. Out of all of the decisions Mingione has made in his tenure, his assistants are about the only thing that you can’t question it. In reality, I think Coggin was the weakest assistant he has had in his tenure and he’s on a big time staff. Wouldn’t be shocked if this hire ends up being an upgrade.
I view this in a much different way than you.

Why were we paying our hitting coach who recruits the portal only 40k?

I view this in a much different way than you.

Why were we paying our hitting coach who recruits the portal only 40k?
That’s about right. That 3rd assistant spot was volunteer until this season and they were able to collect camp money. It’s my understanding that they are still able to collect camp money and that’s why the base salaries are so low. The 3rd assistant at UT was only at 50K for reference. Doubt he’s getting any more money at UGA.

That’s about right. That 3rd assistant spot was volunteer until this season and they were able to collect camp money. It’s my understanding that they are still able to collect camp money and that’s why the base salaries are so low. The 3rd assistant at UT was only at 50K for reference. Doubt he’s getting any more money at UGA.
I think he’s making more than triple that at UGA. He’s replacing someone who made 200k last year.

Outside of Missouri, I don’t think anyone in the sec has assistants making less than ours. I’m ready for us to stop losing coaches.

I think he’s making more than triple that at UGA. He’s replacing someone who made 200k last year.

Outside of Missouri, I don’t think anyone in the sec has assistants making less than ours. I’m ready for us to stop losing coaches.
I’ve looked up 7 3rd assistants salary from this year in the SEC and nobody has a base of more than 50K. If they’re hiring Ammo to be the 2nd paid assistant than good for him. He wasn’t going to pass Roszel and Cousi here and I personally don’t think he should. I think our assistant salaries are competitive. Nobody pays that 3rd assistant anything so if Ammo got a chance to get out of the 3rd assistant hole good for him.

I’ve looked up 7 3rd assistants salary from this year in the SEC and nobody has a base of more than 50K. If they’re hiring Ammo to be the 2nd paid assistant than good for him. He wasn’t going to pass Roszel and Cousi here and I personally don’t think he should. I think our assistant salaries are competitive. Nobody pays that 3rd assistant anything so if Ammo got a chance to get out of the 3rd assistant hole good for him.
The 3rd assistants make a lot from camps and I don’t think ours makes anywhere what others are making. This is a no brainer for Ammirati but I think it’s tough for our program.

Trying to hire a hitting coach as the 3rd assistant and for 40k? That’s going to be difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT