ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2025

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Feels really weird to post this so early, but by popular demand I am getting a jump on things. Obviously, regardless of what happens this weekend (or next) we've had an oustanding year. Co-SEC Regular Season Champions and most SEC wins in UK baseball history. Huge accomplishments from Mingione, SEC COTY, and his team. I am not sure how much crow is left, but looks like I need to go back for seconds. Still, I think all of us want to see UK being consistently a contender and the next step in that process is 2025. Here is a very very early look of what that might look like. I'll try to continue to update as more information comes in throughout the next weeks/months. Also, as usual, if there is anything I have gotten wrong, please reply and correct me and I will be more than happy to fix it.

No Eligibility:
Ty Crittenberger (OF)
Nick Lopez (DH)
Ryan Nicholson (1B)
Mitch Daly (3B)
Rueben Church (3B)
Grant Smith (SS)

Cameron O'Brien (P)
Dominic Niman (P)
Johnny Hummel (P)
Trey Pooser (P)
Ryan Hagenow (P)

Draft Eligible:
Pitre (2B)
Burkes (C)
McCoy (OF)
McCarthy (OF)
Waldschmidt (OF)
Herrera (UTL)
Higdon (OF)

Smith (P)
Hogan (P)
Moore (P)
Robinson (P)
Hise (P)
Byers (P)
Nove (P)
Frieda (P)

A lot of names here, but I just don't see a ton of them drawing a ton of interest from the major leagues at this point and time. I highlighted the two most likely to take the leap to the MLB, but I could also see Pitre taking a long look. Smith taking a long look and possibly Hogan. Burkes is an interesting one as at the end of last year I had him on my likely to leave list and do not have him there this year. Burkes is a RS Junior this season, so he can return next year but there are some advantages to trying to get drafted in your junior year and going rather than coming back for a senior year. One of those being that you have more leverage for some more money if you can threaten to return to school.

Departing/Transferring
Brown (1B)
Skowronski (UTL)
Howe (P)
Higdon (OF)

Depth Chart:

1B:
2B:
Pitre
SS: Gargett, Hindle, Franklin
3B: Herrea, Hairston, Bowen
C: Burkes, Fawley, Small
RF: McCoy, Schramm
CF: Cameron
LF: Pratt, Harris, Youngblood, Strong
DH:

First thing to note is that this isn't a depth chart in the sense that I think these people will start as much as it just is a glance at where I think guys might be competing for playing time. Obviously, things change a lot if certain players decide to leave/return and there are a lot of guys who could play multiple spots.

I want to note here that I am not sure if Gargett, Hindle and Cameron will classify as redshirts. I know the rule now is that you can play a certain number of games in a season and still redshirt, but I am not sure if they fall under that. I am going to still list them as redshirts because I think that they likely did, but I could be incorrect here.

A lot of yellow here indicating that we could be a really young team next year. The fact that there are a lot of yellow spots leads me to believe that UK will likely dive deep into the transfer portal to find some older guys to plug into some positions where they might not feel they are strong/deep. 1B looks like a place where we might have a need as does LF. Right now, I just don't have anyone in my head that fills that hole in left. Even Pratt and Harris kind of seem to fit the RF mold more than LF given their size as freshmen and UK has only sparingly used freshmen under Mingione, so I am inclined to believe that they'd have to be real special (or UK real desperate) for those guys to become everyday starters in 2025.

Key:
Freshman
Redshirt Freshman
Sophomore
Junior
Senior
Grad Student
JUCO/Transfer Portal

PITCHING

Friday Starter:
Smith
Saturday Starter: Moore (I am putting him here for now, but I think it's very unlikely he returns).
Sunday Starter: Ryan Verdugo (RHP)

Things are scary in the weekend department. No one has stepped up to prove they can be a 4th weekend starter this year, so we have no clue who might be able to step up from our pool below and fill one or more of these roles. Especially if both Smith and Moore head to the professional ranks. I imagine UK looks heavily to the portal to fill these spots as they have the past two years.

Verdugo comes to UK from CSU Bakersfield and right now he looks like a surefire starter. He dominated this past year with a 2.72 ERA with 93 strikeouts and 40 walks in 89.1 innings pitched. Had two shutouts. Opponents hit a paltry .208 against the righty who will be a senior next year.

Weekday Starter:

Anyone's guess here. Last year we went with a redshirt freshman with Lafferty. We could go that way again. I could see someone like Cleaver stepping into this role. I think he could redshirt again if he doesn't pitch anymore this season. Someone with more knowledge on redshirt rules, please correct me? So, that could be a way to get him more prepared for league play and a weekend role, if he has that in him.

Relief:
Jake Titus (RHP)
Colby Frieda (RHP)
James McCoy (RHP)
Drew Lafferty (RHP) - Lafferty could be a weekend guy, but the injury makes me hesistant.
Hayden Smith (LHP)
Robert Hogan (RHP)
Carson Applegate (RHP)
Raymond Saatman (RHP)
Cooper Robinson (RHP)
Zach Hise (RHP)
Evan Byers (LHP)
Jackson Nove (LHP)

Jacob Price (RHP)
Ben Cleaver (LHP)
Evan Hart (LHP)
Tommy Skelding (RHP)

Nile Adcock (RHP)
Scott Rouse (RHP)
Nic McCay (RHP)
Ethan Walker (LHP)

We lose a whole lot of reliable arms to graduation, but we get a chunk of them back. Hogan may return and he has the most innings out of the bullpen this year with 36. Nove isn't far off at 27.2. Byers has also been leaned on heavily. We also have a lot of lefty options, which we don't always have. However, we could also see some attrition here. Someone like Applegate (just a guess) who only threw 1 inning this year as a redshirt freshman or Hayden Smith who had just 3.1.

Rouse was a started at Radford, but the ERA doesn't jump out at you as being overly impressive at 5.94 with 69.2 innings pitched and 14 appearances. 78 strikeouts and 33 walks.

Adcock will be a junior next year (I believe) and is 6'2 180. Not the ideal makeup for a starter, but that is what he did in JUCO, starting 13 games and having a 2.92 ERA through 74.1 innings pitched with a real good 94 strikeouts. Walked just 25.

FRESHMEN

Tyler Bell (SS)
Leighton Harris (LHP)
Bradley Ferrell (RHP)
Nate Harris (OF)
Zak Spurrier (RHP)
Nolan Belcher (C)
Logan Grubb (LHP)
Tristan Hunter (RHP)
Aidan Larkin (SS)
Hayden Mains (RHP)
Khaleel Pratt (OF)
Jack Sams (SS)
Cameron Owens (SS)

Last edited:
Awesome write up! One to add is graduate transfer CF Trent Youngblood from Transylvania. Has put up unbelievable numbers there but will be a big transition to the SEC.
You think I should put him in the OF? Looks like played a lot of SS for Transy.

You’re correct looks like he’s played middle IF and CF at times.

I am going to put him in left for now. That is the hole I see for us right now, so it makes some sense for him to fall into there. Could also see Cameron playing left and him in center. Pitre's decision (as well as a handful of others) also plays a factor.

Reactions: delk4three
Pitre and Travis Smith are both ranked in the top 200 prospects according to MLB.com. I wouldn’t expect either of them to return but ya never know.

Pitre and Travis Smith are both ranked in the top 200 prospects according to MLB.com. I wouldn’t expect either of them to return but ya never know.

Could definitely see either or both of them riding into the minors after the season. However, Smith hasn't gotten to showcase his stuff for a full year and could shoot up draft boards if he can come back and be a weekend starter. Just wondering if the injury bug might keep him around another year.

Pitre might take a page from Waldy. One more year and get the body a bit better and add to the home run numbers and maybe he too can move up the draft boards. A move to SS also might not hurt him if he can go there and showcase his ability to play anywhere in the infield. Heck, even a strong June could shoot him up the board more and make him an easier case for going pro.

Will be a big surprise if Pitre or T. Smith return. Both are likely to go in the first 10 rounds. Moore is pretty unlikely also, maybe a chance Burkes could come back.

Great info, thank you. Yikes, we lose a LOT of our best players from this year.

Yep. This is an old team. So, will be interesting to see what Ming and the staff do. Do they roll with some young guys even though we might take some lumps or do they hit the portal hard and try to get older?

The freshmen that saw action this year looked pretty good to me. If cats can bring in some legit pitching we should be competitive again. Need couple transfers like Nicholson and Lopez also.

Reactions: parrott
I’m more curious to see what happens with Small than anybody. It’s been limited appearances, but that is an SEC hitter. Doesn’t seem like they trust him behind the dish as he was left off the tournament roster in favor of Fawley. Feels like he has to learn how to play a corner OF spot or get a first baseman’s mitt.

Reactions: Crazycat68
I’m more curious to see what happens with Small than anybody. It’s been limited appearances, but that is an SEC hitter. Doesn’t seem like they trust him behind the dish as he was left off the tournament roster in favor of Fawley. Feels like he has to learn how to play a corner OF spot or get a first baseman’s mitt.
Where can the Tournament roster be found?

Where can the Tournament roster be found?
I haven’t seen it released, but they were announced before game 1. It’s the 9 position players that have played, the 6 pitchers that have thrown, Moore, Smith, Hummel, Cleaver, Nove, Freida, Titus, Robinson, Schramm, Gargett, Fawley, Chruch and Crittenberger. I could have added an additional name, but I think that’s it.

I haven’t seen it released, but they were announced before game 1. It’s the 9 position players that have played, the 6 pitchers that have thrown, Moore, Smith, Hummel, Cleaver, Nove, Freida, Titus, Robinson, Schramm, Gargett, Fawley, Chruch and Crittenberger. I could have added an additional name, but I think that’s it.
Surprised Herrera isn’t on the roster

@Comebakatz3 Thanks for putting this together. It can be tough to follow transfers in, transfers out, draft decisions, etc.

I have a quick question about Ty Bryant. When he committed to UK as a HS senior he was clear that he intended to play both football and baseball. I haven’t seen or heard a word about him being involved with the baseball team this season.

Has anyone seen any quote or comment from any coaches, or Bryant, to suggest he may give baseball a try next season?

Thanks.

Christian Howe, Blake Bowen and Josh Skowrinski have all entered the portal.

Suprised they did so before the season ended, but thanks for the info. I'll try to update accordingly and get the pitching info on here

Suprised they did so before the season ended, but thanks for the info. I'll try to update accordingly and get the pitching info on here
I believe the players who were redshirted have already been released to play with their summer teams. I know Hudson Brown is already playing for the Lincoln Potters and I believe Skowronski and Landon Franklin are playing in Bethesda.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Know Howe pitched a little in 23. How big a loss are these 3?

I don't think Howe was going to factor into the plans much. If I remember correctly he held the Kentucky record for home runs in high school but for whatever reason he was always slated as a pitcher here and not a bat, but I imagine he was given a chance to prove he could hit at the college level and couldn't put it together.

Brown is a loss at least in the aspect that he could have been a guy that would compete for time at first at some point. Not sure how good he is or could be but that's a spot of need and at least having him compete and be a depth piece would have been valuable.

Skon is a tall kid that seems like he could handle the bat. PG league last summer and he hit well. Utility guy which is valuable but maybe never really projected a certain spot.

All in all, if you're not playing pretty early in college baseball then you likely need to develop elsewhere.

I wonder how often baseball rankings hit. I mean, seems like it would be the hardest to figure out, because there's a ton of intangible type factors that go into things. Seems like you have a lot of dude that come out of nowhere rankings wise to be a stud and guys at the top of the ranking that never see the field.

GT had a little freshman that was hitting 380 with like 25 dingers. He looked like an automatic out. Thought to myself that kid couldn't possibly have been super highly ranked, esp since GT is good but not necessarily a power.

Then came to my next thought....how can we get those types of kids to UK. I mean if you can get one dude every year who ends up being a good, contributing, freshman, you're gonna end up with a very difficult lineup to get out. That's not even counting whoever else you bring in.

Is there ANY chance we get Waldy back? We're losing a ton it seems and getting he and Burkes back would be huge. I can't imagine we have a bunch of stud backups just ready to take over. From my viewpoint it looks like we're gonna have to ace the portal again this year.

I wonder how often baseball rankings hit. I mean, seems like it would be the hardest to figure out, because there's a ton of intangible type factors that go into things. Seems like you have a lot of dude that come out of nowhere rankings wise to be a stud and guys at the top of the ranking that never see the field.

GT had a little freshman that was hitting 380 with like 25 dingers. He looked like an automatic out. Thought to myself that kid couldn't possibly have been super highly ranked, esp since GT is good but not necessarily a power.

Then came to my next thought....how can we get those types of kids to UK. I mean if you can get one dude every year who ends up being a good, contributing, freshman, you're gonna end up with a very difficult lineup to get out. That's not even counting whoever else you bring in.

Is there ANY chance we get Waldy back? We're losing a ton it seems and getting he and Burkes back would be huge. I can't imagine we have a bunch of stud backups just ready to take over. From my viewpoint it looks like we're gonna have to ace the portal again this year.

Not a snowball's chance in my opinion that we'd get Waldy back. I imagine him returning only hurts his stock if he ends up having a poorer year at the plate next year.

Baseball rankings have to be tough. Not only is it the sport where players seem to develop at extremely different rates, but you also have to factor in the draft. A team that might have a ton of talent and be 1 overall in early June could drop significantly come August. You also have the fact that players routinely get cut before the start of the season and sometimes even throughout the fall. So, the ones that are in the class may not even be a part of the roster come February. On top of that there are a ton of players and there is just no way the recruiting sites can see them all unless they come to showcases and even then, they have to have a good day at those showcases. You also have the fact that many of these kids in high school will play short or something like that rather than a position they might play in college. For instance, Waldy was a SS in HS and was considered the 84th best in the nation.

Hagenow was our highest ranked recruit (or 2nd highest) ever. Hagenow has been a solid player for us, but given his ranking you'd think he should be one of those guys that becomes a Friday ace that dominates in the way a Hagen Smith type has. Hagenow was ranked as the 26th best player in the 2020 draft class and was the 8th best righty overall. Smith was ranked 74th overall and 12th best righty. Not all the far off, but obviously, Smith has had a better trajectory. Also add in someone like a Drew Beam who was ranked 238th overall and the 85th best righty and you can see even more how difficult it is to really determine who might end up being big time and who might not quite reach their peak potential.

I have full faith In Mingione and Cousino putting another winner on the field in 25, but it seems like to really maintain where we are McCoy needs to take a huge step forward. He has all the tools to be a star in this league and be a big leaguer. He obviously hasn’t done that yet, but that talent is undeniably and the clock is ticking. People will probably laugh at that, and understandably so, but I’ve always been impressed with the LSU’s, Arkansas’s and even Oregon State’s of the world have players make jumps from one year to the next. We’ve seen it a bit this year with Waldy. Need McCoy to do something similar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT