ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky at Ole Miss (DH)

We take out Thompson, now we load the bases with one out, two walks (with some missed strikes called balls). I hae this sinking feeling that we may add to Thompson's strikeouts with no decision record.
Fantastic! I was getting that fatalistic feeling I;ve had so many times this season. This could be a turning point for the season. On the road against the west leader!

Reactions: cats1068
Cats get a big road win and take the series. I have to say though, you have to get your foot on the bag for that double play ... that could have been a critical mistake, fortunately did not bite us today.

Ugh he didn't have a foot on the bag... unreal. Liner to Lewis and he goes back to first but Reed being a bad first baseman doesn't get back to the bag for the force out.

Whew, great play by Zeke that should have ended it. A first baseman at this level needs to make that play. Good job by Harper to throw strikes to get out of the jam.

Not gonna lie, with the start to this season, I wasn’t hopeful they’d win an SEC series all season. Good job of scrapping one out this weekend. The two 7-inning DH was just what the doctor ordered.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I know guys on here have given up on this team but this was a great SEC series dub vs #15 team no matter how ya slice it. The thing about ⚾️, there’s always tomorrow’s game to get back into and try and get a dub. Congrats to NM and the boys!!

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Whew, great play by Zeke that should have ended it. A first baseman at this level needs to make that play. Good job by Harper to throw strikes to get out of the jam.

Not gonna lie, with the start to this season, I wasn’t hopeful they’d win an SEC series all season. Good job of scrapping one out this weekend. The two 7-inning DH was just what the doctor ordered.
It would be different if this was one of the few plays that Reed has not made. Seems like there is at least one glaring error in each game. Many are not called errors but they are mistakes nonetheless.

Two gutty performances on Sunday. Can the team build on yesterday?

We are going to find our really quick tomorrow. Louisville comes to town. The Cardinals are going to be flying high and living large after they swept 3rd ranked NC State this past weekend, and did so in convincing fashion, putting up 14 runs in two of the three games.

We are going to find our really quick tomorrow. Louisville comes to town. The Cardinals are going to be flying high and living large after they swept 3rd ranked NC State this past weekend, and did so in convincing fashion, putting up 14 runs in two of the three games.
I hate it but UL has an outstanding baseball program. It’s so bitterly disappointing that UK isn’t, especially with the awesome stadium UK just opened.

One would think UK has to sweep UT next weekend to really think about making any noise. That would put us at 7-11.

I highly doubt that we sweep them. Would be amazing, but Tennessee is solid this year. They have a 3.95 ERA in SEC play and shut out Georgia in 2 of the 3 games this weekend. They don't hit all that well, but their pitching is very good, and UK may very well struggle to score runs.

ETA: I think our best bet is to just win series. The sweep, if we get one, would likely be South Carolina. If we get that sweep and can take 2 of 3 in every other series then we finish .500 and we may very well find ourselves in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: irishcat1965
I hate it but UL has an outstanding baseball program. It’s so bitterly disappointing that UK isn’t, especially with the awesome stadium UK just opened.

I still think UK should have thrown everything they had at Louisville's pitching coach Roger Williams. He came there with their head coach. I think he is the key to their success. We should have stolen him away from them. Hurt them at the same time that we help ourselves. We will see how Ming does, but I think Williams would have been the grand slam home run hire.

I still think UK should have thrown everything they had at Louisville's pitching coach Roger Williams. He came there with their head coach. I think he is the key to their success. We should have stolen him away from them. Hurt them at the same time that we help ourselves. We will see how Ming does, but I think Williams would have been the grand slam home run hire.
I have been harsh on Ming this year but I think he deserves it. Especially after the implosion last year.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I have been harsh on Ming this year but I think he deserves it. Especially after the implosion last year.

Personally, I don't like his recruiting philosophy a whole lot. I think he relies way too heavily on JUCO players instead of developing the younger guys. A good/great freshman you get to keep for 3 total years. A good/great JUCO you get for 1. I don't mind that for a player or two here and there, but UK is relying very heavily on them year in and year out.

One this year's team (fielders):

JUCOs: ARod, Shinn, Shelby, Johnson, Daniel, Reed, Curtis, Macciocchi, and Holen.
Freshmen recruits by Ming: Kessler, Schultz, Ellington, Adams, Harmon.
Freshmen recruits by Hendo: Collett, Hill, Lewis, Gei

Just kind of shows how heavily, especially in the field, we are relying on JUCO players instead of guys that we have brought in and developed. Heck, of those freshmen recruits by Ming that are playing, only one of them is a sophomore or higher.

Reactions: irishcat1965
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT