ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky and Duke

Last thing we need is to get the doors beat off of us by Duke again with a wet behind the ears coach. Need to win this one.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
It's gonna be weird to see us being on the right side of the bench because we always played them on the left side.

My season tickets will be worth it this year

I had a similar reaction. With a daughter going off to college I was wondering whether or not it was worth sucking it up and renewing my season tickets this year. If Duke is coming in, renewal is a no brainer.

I'm worried that this will be one of those typical losses that we will take in November, but would win if the game was played in March. Duke has the experience to win now, but Kentucky has the talent, and imo, the better overall team to win when both teams are up to speed.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
Duke has only played at Rupp Arena one time (1980).

Kentucky hasn't played at Cameron since 1958.

The last 9 meetings in the series have been at neutral sites.

Wagner > Roach (I just haven't seen enough progress by Roach to think that Wagner won't surpass him pretty quickly.)
Reeves = Proctor (Proctor is likely better in the long run, but I think it's a push as of now)
Edwards > whoever is playing the 3 for Duke.
Tre Mitchell > Mark Mitchell (slight edge to a more proven forward, but this is hard to peg)
Ugo < Flip

Duke has more experience though and their starters are much more stable and a "sure thing", and I hate to say it, but a coach who is better fit to get the win. It's not so much that I think Scheyer is a good in-game coach.. I'm just very skeptical of Cal doing the right things. I could see us losing this game if it's early, even though I like our chances much better come March.

TBH, I don't really love Duke's roster outside of Flip and maybe Proctor? Good returnees.. sure. But we've said for years that good players who come back for another year, are really just "good" players with another year of experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: gharding07
Wagner > Roach (I just haven't seen enough progress by Roach to think that Wagner won't surpass him pretty quickly.)
Reeves = Proctor (Proctor is likely better in the long run, but I think it's a push as of now)
Edwards > whoever is playing the 3 for Duke.
Tre Mitchell > Mark Mitchell (slight edge to a more proven forward, but this is hard to peg)
Ugo < Flip

Duke has more experience though and their starters are much more stable and a "sure thing", and I hate to say it, but a coach who is better fit to get the win. It's not so much that I think Scheyer is a good in-game coach.. I'm just very skeptical of Cal doing the right things. I could see us losing this game if it's early, even though I like our chances much better come March.

TBH, I don't really love Duke's roster outside of Flip and maybe Proctor? Good returnees.. sure. But we've said for years that good players who come back for another year, are really just "good" players with another year of experience.
A couple things.
1. You do realize that the incoming freshman class is a historically weak class overall. I am not saying Wagner, Edwards, etc. are chumps, but they are very far away from being AD, Wall, Cousins, etc. Wagner is definitely the better prospect long term over Roach, but Roach is a SENIOR, averaged 14 ppg last year, and started in a final four.
2. Proctor is LIKELY better in the long run?? Proctor is a lottery pick next year, some mocks have him going top 5 (due to the historically weak freshman class). Proctor was 17 years old at the start of last season. From Feb- end of the season (when he was age 18), he averaged 16 ppg with 6 assists. Proctor is a possible All-American this year.
3. Duke will most likely start McCain here, Edwards should be better.
4. I'd say Tre Mitchell and Mark Mitchell is a wash. Mark is most likely the best defender on either team, Tre a better rebounder. Both are possible glue-guys who will be much more important than the box score says.
5. Flip is the best player on either team, a possible POY, and it's not particularly close.

Duke's bench is much deeper. However, I expect UK to still add another guy or so, you have to right?
It's at RUPP so anything can happen. If this were a neutral site November game, whats the line? Duke -7.5? Kentucky should be scary come March but you can't have much confidence in Cal on the sidelines in March, right?

A couple things.
1. You do realize that the incoming freshman class is a historically weak class overall. I am not saying Wagner, Edwards, etc. are chumps, but they are very far away from being AD, Wall, Cousins, etc. Wagner is definitely the better prospect long term over Roach, but Roach is a SENIOR, averaged 14 ppg last year, and started in a final four.
2. Proctor is LIKELY better in the long run?? Proctor is a lottery pick next year, some mocks have him going top 5 (due to the historically weak freshman class). Proctor was 17 years old at the start of last season. From Feb- end of the season (when he was age 18), he averaged 16 ppg with 6 assists. Proctor is a possible All-American this year.
4. I'd say Tre Mitchell and Mark Mitchell is a wash. Mark is most likely the best defender on either team, Tre a better rebounder. Both are possible glue-guys who will be much more important than the box score says.
5. Flip is the best player on either team, a possible POY, and it's not particularly close.

Duke's bench is much deeper. However, I expect UK to still add another guy or so, you have to right?
It's at RUPP so anything can happen. If this were a neutral site November game, whats the line? Duke -7.5? Kentucky should be scary come March but you can't have much confidence in Cal on the sidelines in March, right?

To dismiss Wagner vs Roach, you say the class is 'weak', then, in the next sentence, mention Proctor being projected as a lottery pick, which Wagner is projected to be as well (along with Edwards and Bradshaw). Likewise, Roach is a SENIOR and averaged 14 PPG....Reeves is also a senior and averaged 14 PPG.

Wagner - Proctor ~ push
Roach - Reeves ~ push
Edwards - McCain - Edge UK
Mitchell - Mitchell - push
Filipowski - Bradshaw - Edge Duke

Bench
Duke - Young, Stewart, Foster, Power, Blakes, Schutt, Reeves
UK - Dillingham, Sheppard, Onyenso, Thiero, Burks, Hart

I'm not seeing a lot of separation here, other than Duke having 1 more legit big man. I don't think UK is getting enough credit for having Reeves back and getting Mitchell to transfer in.

To dismiss Wagner vs Roach, you say the class is 'weak', then, in the next sentence, mention Proctor being projected as a lottery pick, which Wagner is projected to be as well (along with Edwards and Bradshaw). Likewise, Roach is a SENIOR and averaged 14 PPG....Reeves is also a senior and averaged 14 PPG.

Wagner - Proctor ~ push
Roach - Reeves ~ push
Edwards - McCain - Edge UK
Mitchell - Mitchell - push
Filipowski - Bradshaw - Edge Duke

Bench
Duke - Young, Stewart, Foster, Power, Blakes, Schutt, Reeves
UK - Dillingham, Sheppard, Onyenso, Thiero, Burks, Hart

I'm not seeing a lot of separation here, other than Duke having 1 more legit big man. I don't think UK is getting enough credit for having Reeves back and getting Mitchell to transfer in.
Proctor is a sophomore who started PG every game last year for Duke. I usually don't value experience much, but a 5-star returning is massive, and Duke has 4 non-freshman 5-stars, UK has 0.

The original comparison's were off anyway. Proctor is Duke's PG, his comp would be Wagner right? Roach and Reeves would match up. I would take Proctor over Wagner due to a whole year of starting experience, plus they are very similar NBA prospects as it is, and both will go in the lottery.
Roach versus Reeves. Come on, Roach is the better basketball player, and has played in many big games. I will say though, Reeves fits better with your roster, he's a better 3 point shooter and you need that. Whereas Roach is much better with the ball and attacking the rim. Oddly, each guy fits the roster they are on perfectly.

All of this is for not though, as Duke will be playing Arkansas. And UK will be playing Miami. Arkansas and Miami: both the new NIL kings right? I believe they spend the most per each conference in basketball at least for NIL.

Proctor is a sophomore who started PG every game last year for Duke. I usually don't value experience much, but a 5-star returning is massive, and Duke has 4 non-freshman 5-stars, UK has 0.

The original comparison's were off anyway. Proctor is Duke's PG, his comp would be Wagner right? Roach and Reeves would match up. I would take Proctor over Wagner due to a whole year of starting experience, plus they are very similar NBA prospects as it is, and both will go in the lottery.
Roach versus Reeves. Come on, Roach is the better basketball player, and has played in many big games. I will say though, Reeves fits better with your roster, he's a better 3 point shooter and you need that. Whereas Roach is much better with the ball and attacking the rim. Oddly, each guy fits the roster they are on perfectly.

All of this is for not though, as Duke will be playing Arkansas. And UK will be playing Miami. Arkansas and Miami: both the new NIL kings right? I believe they spend the most per each conference in basketball at least for NIL.

It is for naught, but I would not say Proctor is ahead of Wagner, nor Roach over Reeves. Proctor was ranked #17 in the supposedly weak 2023 class, compared to Wagner being #1 at the time. Onyenso was #22 in the same class btw. Dillingham is going to be a major player for our backcourt as well. I've never really like Roach either so maybe I am biased.

It is for naught, but I would not say Proctor is ahead of Wagner, nor Roach over Reeves. Proctor was ranked #17 in the supposedly weak 2023 class, compared to Wagner being #1 at the time. Onyenso was #22 in the same class btw. Dillingham is going to be a major player for our backcourt as well. I've never really like Roach either so maybe I am biased.
If we both consider Proctor/Wagner to be lottery picks, than I'm of the opinion that generally the non-freshman lottery pick is much more impactful as a COLLEGE basketball player than the freshman. Obviously there are outliers: AD, Zion etc. But unless it's a bonified superstar (which maybe Wagner will be, but I don't see it) than a soph, jr, or sr who goes in the lottery impacts winning more than a freshman. The draft is about projections, not who is better in 2023-2024.

Between these 2 teams, Flip might be the 5th player drafted? But he will be the best college player next year. Roach can be frustrating at times for Duke fans, but we saw in the tournament last year how much experience matters. Roach will be a senior (a 5-star senior) who has played in more big games than probably everyone on both teams combined.

For the record. I think UK beats Miami as Miami lost 4 starters I believe. And I think Duke goes into Arkansas and wins, experience is huge for early road games.

We really need to make individual improvement and team chemistry needs to get better. It baffles me that we had one of the best rebounders in Oscar for 2 years, and somehow failed to make a decent run.

I can only hope we beat Duke by 10 points or more.

edit: Wait, we play Miami?

Last edited:
A couple things.

Playing at Rupp doesn't quite carry the intimidating atmosphere it used to. UK lost to SC at home IIRC.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The fact that people were still arguing the UK/Duke matchup after it was announced we were playing Miami amuses me. 😂😂😂

Also, you can bet the farm that we will travel to Cameron next season.
You think they will pair them next season even though they play in thr Champions Classic?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT