ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky 4-star S commit Keontra Smith: Miami offer is ‘game-changer’

No such thing as commitment in football until you sign. A verbal this early meant absolutely nothing and this pretty well locks that statement in

Reactions: brianpoe
He still has former teammates that will be Cats, don't give up on our chances so quick.
Agree. It's too early to worry about this. Recruiting south Florida and taking commitments from high school players who live more than a full day drive away will always involve some attrition. Players like Jordan Wright and Davoan Hawkins are worth fighting for. You can't sign them if you don't recruit them. But every P5 school has decommits. I don't really get all the hand wringing about teenagers changing their minds.

If I were the coaches I would tell him to decommit

He is obviously a guy the staff wants pretty bad or they wouldn't have taken his committment 18 months from signing day. One thing you have to remember about this update, it's from a Miami site and of course it's going to be pro Miami. I don't know anything about the Miami writer, but some of these guys who writer for sites are such homers that you can't put much stock into what they write. AU has terrible homers, almost every kid who visits AU has them at the top and their fans are shocked when he signs somewhere else. Happened this year with a kid who signed with us, they were led to believe AU had a huge lead, and when he announced for us, it was either Kirby lied to him or Kirby paid him, couldn't have been Pittman,our OL coach, and his 20+ former OL playing in the NFL.

When will we stop responding this way? Some of the comments in this thread have been posted hundreds of times throughout the years. It’s just one kid who committed way too early. And, it’s still February. Enjoy the Olympics. UK baseball. The end of basketball. Relax.

No...we must freak out because as adults in this day and age, we don't have to control our emotions anymore over issues that aren't really that important.

Now, Keontra Smith is a talented player and has received an offer from a school he would love to attend. But, UK has built a great pipeline to Chaminade-Madonna and he has the trust of Stoops' staff. Let's just see how this plays out. He stays with UK, then great. He goes somewhere else, then so be it and the staff will recruit other players.

Keontra Smith is a talented player and has received an offer from a school he would love to attend. But, UK has built a great pipeline to Chaminade-Madonna.
As you are suggesting, the pipeline is the important story. This is progress, and It will continue to pay dividends. UK won't sign every player from Chaminade-Madonna. But the fact that a lot of good Chaminade-Madonna football players are now considering UK is the overarching story.

These waaaay early commits gives the kids bragging rights to their peers and strokes their egos. I guess I can't blame them in a way, especially the ones who will use the sport as a path to a better future,

Reactions: Bryguy
As you are suggesting, the pipeline is the important story. This is progress, and It will continue to pay dividends. UK won't sign every player from Chaminade-Madonna. But the fact that a lot of good Chaminade-Madonna football players are now considering UK is the overarching story.
Agree. Boys this will come down to what it always comes down to and that is the momentum and feel of the program in November. Two years ago Miami was still a "used to was" program that we had no problem recruiting against. They showed some success on the field (although some cold water was poured on it late) and now they are the hot thing again just like that. Same would happen to us if we were to pull off a 9-3 or even an 8-4 type season with some good wins. We are already a hipper program to recruits by perception than our record probably deserves, because of our facilities, uniforms, and the coaches approach to recruiting etc.

So lets just win a few extra games this year and maybe the Miami's of the world will start hand wringing over us taking some of their boys instead of the other way around.

Quite a turnaround in this thread, and all for the better.

We may not get him, but to even be a viable contender (and we probably still are) is great progress.

I try not to get too excited about these very early commitments if they are not from Kentucky.

I’m

jk. I read his bio. He grew up wanting to play for the hometown team. Hard to compete w that even for the Bama of the world

Right, read the same thing and agree, and to me that is one of the prime and good reasons for committing to a school, we have several that have done that, just got a WO QB like that.

I interpreted your post as saying you would blame Stoops if we didn't get him, this post indicates the opposite to me.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Right, read the same thing and agree, and to me that is one of the prime and good reasons for committing to a school, we have several that have done that, just got a WO QB like that.

I interpreted your post as saying you would blame Stoops if we didn't get him, this post indicates the opposite to me.
I’m as big a UK homer there is, but the kid needs to be where he’s happy

I’m as big a UK homer there is, but the kid needs to be where he’s happy
Whatever. He needs to learn now that his definition of happiness will change as he gets older. And he will find happiness through honoring his word, and being part of the BBN. Nothing else matters.

Im mostly being faceitious. Sort of...

Mark Richt ain’t doing anything. They can be the U light or whatever.

I don't even get excited about a recruit until they sign. I wish it wasn't that way but everyone has read this book before.

He's going to de-commit

Nothing wrong with discussing recruiting and player potential, but fans who become emotionally connected or act like they are emotionally connected to a commitment, especially one that commits before his junior year, are being silly.

This is why I don't pay attention to recruiting till close to NSD. I don't have the time or desire to care about these kids flipping back and forth between schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT