ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky “right there” with Duren

Honest question. When was the last time Calipari overcame a school hiring a recruit’s former coach or family member? Was it Marquis Teague?

What did Michael Corleone say to Frankie Pentangely? Learn to think like others around you think. If you were Duren, what would you do? I would reclassify because, why not? If you are the best player in the 2021 class, why stay in 2022? I would probably go to Miami because I would be their featured player, because Miami is a fun city, and because I would be entering ACC competition just when Duke, Virginia, and UNC are down. If I chose UK, I would have to be willing to share the ball and the headlines. If he is willing to do that, then he could win a championship in Lexington.

These players just kill me. Miami? Really? How much do you have to just love getting a beat down on a nightly basis to go to Miami?

I know, after last season, we don’t have much room to talk, but we are at least in the conversation about the best teams in the country every year with just two exceptions under Cal. Miami has pretty much never been in that conversation and Duren is not going to change that.

I know his ego is probably big enough to think he can lead Miami to prominence, but come on! They are an ACC cellar dweller most of the time.

That would be a really dumb move. No one is going to pay any attention to him down there. He will be on national television a couple of times (Duke games and UNC games maybe) and no one in that city will care who he is because Canes football rules on campus and the rest of the city only cares about the Dolphins, Heat, and Marlins.

It would be a pretty dumb move, IMHO. Not good for branding heading into the NBA.

I was right there in 1968 when I ordered a new Z28 the way I wanted color and every thing.. Only problem I was drafted and was in Vietnam in 69-70.. Never got my Camaro so in 1974 I ordered a new 74 Corvette the same was with every ting I wanted.. Only to get hospitalized so long I ended up not being able to afford it.. "Just missed it by that much". lol

GBB

These players just kill me. Miami? Really? How much do you have to just love getting a beat down on a nightly basis to go to Miami?

I know, after last season, we don’t have much room to talk, but we are at least in the conversation about the best teams in the country every year with just two exceptions under Cal. Miami has pretty much never been in that conversation and Duren is not going to change that.

I know his ego is probably big enough to think he can lead Miami to prominence, but come on! They are an ACC cellar dweller most of the time.

That would be a really dumb move. No one is going to pay any attention to him down there. He will be on national television a couple of times (Duke games and UNC games maybe) and no one in that city will care who he is because Canes football rules on campus and the rest of the city only cares about the Dolphins, Heat, and Marlins.

It would be a pretty dumb move, IMHO. Not good for branding heading into the NBA.
Who is going to beat Miami with Duren? Maybe Florida State. Maybe. All the traditional ACC powers are rebuilding and down now. Miami has a solid basketball program. They cheat, but so do Duke, UNC, Louisville, Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn.

1. With the new NIL....in what world does Miami outbid UK for a kid? Miami fans will not even know who this kid is....the NIL package to UK should easily dwarf anything Miami could offer.
2. So is the hiring for 1 year of a kids "hanger ons" really worth anything now with NIL. Just give the kids family all the money/endorsements and who cares if you're family buddy gets anything.

This stuff is goofy.....Just roll into Duren's camp with a huge $$$ with a car dealer or whatever and get it over with.

With most of these kids now days, winning is secondary to being "THE MAN" at the school they choose. In their mind they are convinced that their name is bigger than the school and coach they will play for, even when they get to the NBA.

So why would Jalen come to UK and share time with other players he feels superior to, when he can go to Miami and rule the roost? He will get a HUGE shoe company contract and probably other national apparel companies wanting his endorsement, so NIL won't effect him as much as someone else.

However, if he comes to UK and WINS a National Title, he will EXPLODE in popularity going into the NBA Draft. Does he want the pressure of that risk/reward this season?

Y’all are believing Bullshit you read on the Internet again. Everything you have read on this recruit and any other for that matter is tripe. Why? It came from the Internet. Did the information come from a direct quote from the recruit? No? It came from the Internet. Don’t be a gullible fool.

Reactions: gharding07
Done Deal, but not for us. Another swing and miss by Cal. Could have had Kofi but puts all his eggs in the Duren basket. SMH. I will eat my words if he does commit to us but I think I will go hungry. Then Cal will say “I like my team”

Why bring in someone who doesn’t fit into your offensive scheme? The guy can’t shoot outside of 10 feet. Can’t effectively play or guard the pick and roll and clogs the lane . There was a reason the NBA passed on him.

Fit is a valid point. I can understand that. I just think IF Kofi was that sure of a thing you can tweak a few things and get it to work.

I was right there in 1968 when I ordered a new Z28 the way I wanted color and every thing.. Only problem I was drafted and was in Vietnam in 69-70.. Never got my Camaro so in 1974 I ordered a new 74 Corvette the same was with every ting I wanted.. Only to get hospitalized so long I ended up not being able to afford it.. "Just missed it by that much". lol

GBB

My dad has some similar stories.

His older brothers got some sports cars and went to college and played baseball, some drafted, , he wanted to do the same thing only in basketball, but he never got the chance as he was drafted into Vietnam.

Fast forward 50 years, and he finally retired from the post office (when postman were mainly older vets and had pride in their career), and the first thing he did was buy a 1994 corvette original with 12,000 miles.

In the first week his back went out while he was getting out of it lol.

So his brothers got their wish, and I got his car.

Everyday I tell him life’s a bitch ain’t it?

Guys like duren can’t really make a dumb move. He’s pegged as a top 5 draft pick wherever he goes.

Reactions: westerncat
Cal should have a revolving head coach position to hire whoever the top 3 kid's relative/AU coach is each year. Would have gotten us Duren, Cade, Michael Porter Jr., and others.

Reactions: Fox2monk
These kids are not looking at titles. Just isn't their motive.
Duren sees UK no different than Miami. It just a means to an end. Not saying that to disparage him. That's just the reality of it.
They don't care about UK'S long history or tradition. It's all about getting to the league for them.

Don't get your hopes up.

Cal should've hired his AAU coach like Miami did.

He's gonna have to start playing their shady game if he's gonna get the top guys.
We have a limited offer of asst. Positions. So your telling me for one recruit we should have passed on Antiqua or Chin? One a guy who was part of this same UK staff when we were landing one or 2 top 5 guys every season and the other considered one of the top recruiters in the country with contacts in the basketball hotbed of Chicago? Sorry I would take long term success over instant gratification anytime especially considering we are still right there with Duren a player that 90 percent of this board would have written off as G-league or Australian pro 6 weeks ago.

anyone know when this guy is announcing?
Won't be until after peach jam next weekend. Plus he still hasn't officially announced he is reclassing yet ( though most think he will) so I'm guessing 2 weeks or so. Won't be much longer that as the fall semester will start in Aug so at worst probably 3 weeks

Reactions: Fox2monk
These kids are not looking at titles. Just isn't their motive.
Duren sees UK no different than Miami. It just a means to an end. Not saying that to disparage him. That's just the reality of it.
They don't care about UK'S long history or tradition. It's all about getting to the league for them.

I think it’s been that way for a long time for a large amount of players. Even the ones that do commit to UK.

same for all schools tho.

Reactions: Cawood86

GBB
At least you got your truck right? Is that your truck in the profile pic?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
1. With the new NIL....in what world does Miami outbid UK for a kid? Miami fans will not even know who this kid is....the NIL package to UK should easily dwarf anything Miami could offer.
2. So is the hiring for 1 year of a kids "hanger ons" really worth anything now with NIL. Just give the kids family all the money/endorsements and who cares if you're family buddy gets anything.

This stuff is goofy.....Just roll into Duren's camp with a huge $$$ with a car dealer or whatever and get it over with.
Bingo

Reactions: STL_Cat

GBB
Is that your truck in the Avatar?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT