ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest issue with Keon was his play on the court, He had a desire to be the MAN here and ex ept for a few rare occasions could never produce. His off court comments were similar to those of many young people today. Commenting on people in a time he didn't live through and based on what he was told by others seems to be the order of the day now..IMO some fans would have cut him.Much more slack if he had just played better. It was perhaps better for everyone involved for him to start anew elsewhere. I wish him well.
Correct, his attempts to score early in the clock with mostly long 2s was just non winning basketball for the most part. A lot of frustration was Cal allowing that. He really needed a more consistent motor and some strength. That all said, obviously better than we have had this year for sure at that position.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He’s the leading scorer (because he takes a ton of shots) on a team that is 12-8 in a weak conference. He’s shooting 42% from the field and 23% from three. He’s the definition of mediocre and will never sniff the league.

Last edited:
It is unreasonable for fans to expect these kids to just shut up and play ball especially when the issues of the day are things that could impact them and or their families. Players are human beings before they are anything else. If the desire is for acquiring players without emotions, the school should consider signing robots to scholarships. They can be programmed to respond however you desire them to.
All of that social justice by 18 year old kids, stepping into a state they don't live in and accusing the University and its Basketball program that helped integrate the sport in the south, of being racist. Pretty ignorant of the athletes in general to think the majority of Kentuckians would share the same sentiments.

I stepped away from all sports in 2020 because of COVID. I knew it would mess up the seasons and did not want to be emotionally invested as games became harder to pull off. So I missed all the social justice comments of a bunch of coddled teen age athletes who have had everything handed to them for 4 or 5 years before they arrive here.

It is unreasonable for fans to expect these kids to just shut up and play ball especially when the issues of the day are things that could impact them and or their families. Players are human beings before they are anything else. If the desire is for acquiring players without emotions, the school should consider signing robots to scholarships. They can be programmed to respond however you desire them to.
Damn. Quite the reach here...

Reactions: rupp876 and ORCAT
Brooks is the kind of player that can carry a Washington team past the sweet 16 if they get a bid.

I was one of 5 posters that really wanted him to stay.
I wanted him here. I’m one of the few that don’t care about about the kneeling, politics, etc…
(And I lean conservative)

Thought he was fine as a 3rd or 4th option on offense.

I wanted him here. I’m one of the few that don’t care about about the kneeling, politics, etc…
(And I lean conservative)

Thought he was fine as a 3rd or 4th option on offense.
He definitely would add some much needed punch to the lineup, we definitely played well with him last year but I hope Toppin is finally starting to become the player we expected him to be lately.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
You're right that he was scorched here regularly. But I'm saying that the underlying motive for criticizing his on court performance for many was the off-court stuff.

And he was very inconsistent last season, without question. He's playing better now than he ever did at UK. And good for him, that's my thought. I wish him well unless and until they play UK. Then I hope he missed every shot and loses by 40. 😀
He’s actually not lol. Just because he’s scoring 6 more points and averaging 3 more boards doesn’t mean he’s doing better. He’s in a bigger role, playing more minutes, and shooting a TERRIBLE 42% from the floor as a forward. That’s abysmal and not what you want on a winning team. Off the court stuff aside, he’s just not a winning player.

Dumbass dug is own hole. You dont come to a school and tell them that the founding father of that schools sport is racist, then admits he hasn't done his homework on it.

Of course this issue is not as cut and dry as you suggest. I think what is missed, especially among the people who’d rather deify Rupp than real talk, is that the fact there is such a perception is a problem. And perceptions exist for reason. And don’t @ me with comments about Rupp recruiting black players earlier in his career. UK was slow to integrate. Stop making excuses.

Furthermore, the comments were made at the peak of racial tensions in the United States. Like it or not, black people have had a tough go in this country. Tensions were so high (and still are for some) that a rational conversation was impossible , but that was an opportunity for learning on all sides, not WW3

Reactions: UK-BILL
I hope he does well. I’m pulling for him. But he’s averaging 17 a game on 14 shots. Which isn’t great. He’s shooting 42% from the field and 23% from 3 on 3.5 attempts per game. Again that’s actually horrendous that he’s shooting that poorly from 3 and still taking so many of them.

His saving grace is that he’s a good free throw shooter.

That's horrid, and we would be mad over the amount of dumb shots he was taking. There isn't a scenario where that kid should be shooting the ball 17 times a game at Kentucky. Best that he moved on for both parties.

He’s actually not lol. Just because he’s scoring 6 more points and averaging 3 more boards doesn’t mean he’s doing better. He’s in a bigger role, playing more minutes, and shooting a TERRIBLE 42% from the floor as a forward. That’s abysmal and not what you want on a winning team. Off the court stuff aside, he’s just not a winning player.
You're right he's not a very efficient offensive player. I didn't look very deeply into the numbers before saying he's playing better than he ever did at UK. He's getting more minutes and more leash because they don't have anyone else who can do any better. If he were here, I'm sure he'd still be getting the same kind of criticisms he did the last 3 seasons.

You might be right, but his performance certainly isn't worse than anybody currently at UK whose name isn't Oscar. Currently we aren't getting anything out of Livingston.
Chucking up shots on a team going nowhere is a loser’s path.

My issue with Cal is less about his style of play and more about his coaching. He rarely ever coach players into better players with the exception being Oscar.
He beat one of the best teams of my lifetime ( probably the best) with a Umass team that had one pro and went 6 deep.

Reactions: kyeric and rupp876
I thought Brooks couldn't play defense. But Toppin has shown me how to really not play defense.

He beat one of the best teams of my lifetime ( probably the best) with a Umass team that had one pro and went 6 deep.
Many of the posters on this site weren't born when that happened. Lol. I used to run a 4.5 forty years ago. That has nothing to do with how fast I can run today which is considerably slower. Cal has likely forgotten many of the things that he once knew when he was at Umass. It is for certain that he isn't nearly as determined now as he was back then. He is no longer trying to make a name for himself; he is living on the one he made while giving far less effort.

Last edited:
Damn. Quite the reach here...
From your perspective, I am sure that it is viewed as a reach which isn't unusual for someone who isn't impacted by the cause of his response. You just want to see them run up and down the court for your delight. You only see them as a means to your end which is winning. As a person outside of sports, they don't matter. NEXT MAN UP!

Of course this issue is not as cut and dry as you suggest. I think what is missed, especially among the people who’d rather deify Rupp than real talk, is that the fact there is such a perception is a problem. And perceptions exist for reason. And don’t @ me with comments about Rupp recruiting black players earlier in his career. UK was slow to integrate. Stop making excuses.

Furthermore, the comments were made at the peak of racial tensions in the United States. Like it or not, black people have had a tough go in this country. Tensions were so high (and still are for some) that a rational conversation was impossible , but that was an opportunity for learning on all sides, not WW3
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Go cheer for someone else.

The fact is, he said this without evidence or doing homework....he even admits this. Show me where Rupp was racist. Is Duke racist for playing a vast majority of white guys the last 30 years?

"Black people have had a tough go in this country" ...are any alive today that endured slavery? No, they were told about it through generation. Not 1 person alive today has suffered from slavery.

I'm Jewish, you hear me crying about how we were treated and killed, and it was actually quite recent. We worked our way out and i hold no ill will against current Germany. Read that again.

Todays times are different and black people have quite an advantage. We even have a black VP that was chosen ONLY because she was black. If you dont remember, Biden said during the primaries "my VP will be a woman and she will be a black woman" ...not only is that racist but its sexist. Being a minority is this country, right now, is very beneficial.

The fact is, he said this without evidence or doing homework....he even admits this. Show me where Rupp was racist. Is Duke racist for playing a vast majority of white guys the last 30 years?

"Black people have had a tough go in this country" ...are any alive today that endured slavery? No, they were told about it through generation. Not 1 person alive today has suffered from slavery.

I'm Jewish, you hear me crying about how we were treated and killed, and it was actually quite recent. We worked our way out and i hold no ill will against current Germany. Read that again.

Todays times are different and black people have quite an advantage. We even have a black VP that was chosen ONLY because she was black. If you dont remember, Biden said during the primaries "my VP will be a woman and she will be a black woman" ...not only is that racist but its sexist. Being a minority is this country, right now, is very beneficial.

Yea Im a millennial and when my parents went to UK there were no black people on the team. That wasn’t that long ago. Moreover, your opinion of what different black people should think has no real relevance. It basically just ignores any perception or reality and shows no effort to actually understand what his point of view was or is.

Keion's issues with many had more to do with his off-court actions and words than his on-court performance.

Whats strikes me about this statement is it's the complete opposite of our coach.

Cals issues have more to do with his on-court performance than with his off-court actions.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Yes…Keion is a volume shooter…same player as last year. Just taking like 15 shots a game…

I am as upset with UK as anyone else, but saying they are going nowhere might be a correct statement.
Was a reference to Brook’s numbers on his current team. I may not have made the context clear.

Yea Im a millennial and when my parents went to UK there were no black people on the team. That wasn’t that long ago. Moreover, your opinion of what different black people should think has no real relevance. It basically just ignores any perception or reality and shows no effort to actually understand what his point of view was or is.
There were no Jewish people on the team, either, and there still isn't.....you see me crying about the name on the floor?

Slavery was terrible, but to constantly bring it up and use it as a crutch or an excuse is weak. Every religion, sex, race, and culture has had it bad at some point. Slavery ended, the holocaust is over, and Native Americans aren't being skinned anymore. We're the most sensitive puss-i-fied country in the world now.....and continiutelly crying about the past is a joke. Nobody was alive for any of it.

There were no Jewish people on the team, either, and there still isn't.....you see me crying about the name on the floor?

Slavery was terrible, but to constantly bring it up and use it as a crutch or an excuse is weak. Every religion, sex, race, and culture has had it bad at some point. Slavery ended, the holocaust is over, and Native Americans aren't being skinned anymore. We're the most sensitive puss-i-fied country in the world now.....and continiutelly crying about the past is a joke. Nobody was alive for any of it.
I like Jewish people, I think it’s a really interesting culture, Also, bagels and lox are the most underrated breakfast in America, Maybe you have ancestors treated poorly during the holocaust. Maybe you didn‘t. But your family history doesnt change the reality other people have lived in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT