ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas Dirty, Duke Dirty...

Drop the hammer on the one's that cheat. That includes North Carolina over their fake classes. The NCAA needs to show if you cheat and you are caught, then they will hit you hard.

Now the chances of them doing anything serious to Kansas is unlikely and the chances of them doing anything at all to Duke or UNC is even more unlikely.

Nothing. Duke has done nothing wrong. Zion Williamson just decided to go to Durham after asking for money from Kansas. The Williamson family worked hard for their million dollar home in town. Duke has done nothing.

Duke doesn’t need to pay kids to attend. It’s a privilege and honor to attend Duke. Duke is a major brand, and the Duke image along with unrivaled marketing on its own are invaluable to these kids.

What did Duke do wrong?

Corey Maggette admitted to taking cash from a Myron Piggie. Did Duke get punished?

Chris Duhon's mom moved from a trailer in Louisiana to Durham where got a sweet job from a Duke alum, where she was overpaid and under qualified. Common knowledge. Did Duke get punished?

Lance Thomas and his jewelry loan. No investigation.

Marvin Bagley mysterious reclass and housing in Durham. No investigation.

You[/QUOTE]
Duke doesn’t need to pay kids to attend. It’s a privilege and honor to attend Duke. Duke is a major brand, and the Duke image along with unrivaled marketing on its own are invaluable to these kids.

So why’d you hire a cheater to recruit that got run out of Oklahoma?? Duke brotherhood, cheating welcome. 8 > 5. Privilege that.

Last edited:
I agree Duke shouldn't have to pay players to go to school there but they do it anyway. I guess it is just out of the goodness of their heart that they want their under privileged kids to have a little spending money.

Still didn’t bother to address that million dollar home Zions family now occupy. Go ahead humor us.
Duke has long been known as an institution whose goal it is to help those in need. Every recruit needs a million dollar home some time. The time for Zion arrived. He is blessed.

The NCAA will applaud this as "helping those in need by sharing the wealth" It is the American way.

Just stop it. Duke doesn’t hold scholar athletes to the same academic standards as their regular students.
You know that as well as anyone.

Major brand? Perhaps on the same level as a dozen other programs, but stop with it’s a privilege and an honor to attend when it comes to Shasheski recruiting the likes of Williamson, etc. They’re not there based on their academic accomplishments.

I'm sure you're right. Zion basically had an offer to attend Kansas (also a major brand- no slouch in their own right), in which he'd get a house for his family, a great paying job (with no work) for his parents, and cash in the pocket, but decided to choose Duke anyway. Kids are crazy these days. Nothing to see here. Move along.
giphy.gif

I have tried to give Duke the benefit of the doubt as Coach K is a great coach. I remember the Lance Thomas incident bothered me because both Thomas and the jeweler wouldn't speak to the NCAA so the issue folded. Thomas received a 70K line of credit for 100K in jewelry which would have made him ineligible and the 2010 Championship would be forfeited.

The really damning issue for me was Marvin Bagley. Not only did Nike admit to taking care of his family (I believe hundreds of thousands of dollars worth) which should have made him ineligible, but Bagley struggled to stay eligible his junior year in HS (he had changed schools frequently) and yet was able to complete his entire senior year in 3 months and cleared to play by the NCAA. That is an advantage only Coach K and Duke could receive. There is not one other program at which Bagley would have been eligible. Heck, the NCAA would have punished Coach Cal just for trying to make him eligible.

Drop the hammer on the one's that cheat. That includes North Carolina over their fake classes. The NCAA needs to show if you cheat and you are caught, then they will hit you hard.

Now the chances of them doing anything serious to Kansas is unlikely and the chances of them doing anything at all to Duke or UNC is even more unlikely.

This is part of the problem. You are not going to stop it, or even slow it down, if the ones that are doing it are exempted from punishment. KU and Duke are going to be emboldened to not only continue it, but probably increase it, knowing they are not going to have any repercussions. As long as the NCAA wants to nail TCU, Middle Tenn, or Fla Gulf Coast, and lets Puke and KU walk, there will never be any change.

Meanwhile, Memphis gets an entire season vacated because D. Rose wouldn’t cooperate with the NCAA regarding an SAT score. What happens if you don’t cooperate over thousands of dollars worth of jewelry? Awe, nothin’. Duke vs Memphis. NCAA’s hypocrisy at its finest.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I envision a dismantling of the NCAA and a new conference policed association with an overall board comprised of one member of each power conference. No “middle man.”

Getting back to the original question... Nothing. Nothing can be done to keep NCAA basketball clean. Gotta change the rules so that the status quo isn't dirty. Gotta change the rules so that an impoverished 18 yr old with NBA skills can get his family into the suburbs. So that he can profit from his likeness. So that he can get a shoe deal.
The changes in the G-league will go a long way, and I expect it to become incredibly popular among elite players, especially as salaries grow.

Change the rules and allow players to take loans and also gain $ off their image, including local sponsorship.

Allow the free market to dictate the terms. Amateurism is a loose term anyway, considering these kids get a full scholarship in return for their services. Just make the system more equitable.

[pfftt][pfftt][pfftt][pfftt][pfftt]

un·ri·valed
/ˌənˈrīvəld/
adjective
  1. better than everyone or everything of the same type.
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT