ADVERTISEMENT

Juzang.

Neither made the league. Kyle was good here and I understand his decision, but Matthews would have been just as good here if he played past his Freshman year. Apparently he thought he was good enough to make the NBA, but after a year of hearing his name, it disappeared rather quickly.
Frankly, I don't care if these guys make it in the NBA or not because I don't watch it. I only care if they play good while they're here. Wiltjer and Matthews would've been good players here if they stuck around.

Battle your ass off against those guys everyday. Get better, and be an absolute beast as a junior. If JJ thinks he NBA ready by the start of 2021, he’s wrong. Guy will be in college 3-4 years. And what better place than UK, and what better coach to develop under than Cal?

JJ is making a mistake. That’s the cold hard truth.
Unlikely.

Frankly, I don't care if these guys make it in the NBA or not because I don't watch it. I only care if they play good while they're here. Wiltjer and Matthews would've been good players here if they stuck around.
I don't disagree and I think Juzang would have been also. My point was that leaving UK has not worked out well for our transfers for the most part. Juzang is a head-scratcher for me. Cal praised him all the dam time, he got decent playing time and played one of his best games to end the year. I almost wonder if all this sitting around and isolation caused him to overthink things. I think he was going to be a 3-4 year player and he was a reclass. He was in a pretty solid spot here and was starting to knock down 3s which is hard to replace. I never saw him leaving so this one really surprised me.

Reactions: seccats04
Battle your ass off against those guys everyday. Get better, and be an absolute beast as a junior. If JJ thinks he NBA ready by the start of 2021, he’s wrong. Guy will be in college 3-4 years. And what better place than UK, and what better coach to develop under than Cal?

JJ is making a mistake. That’s the cold hard truth.
Why is he making a mistake? I mean isn't it possible he simply isn't good enough to battle guys like Clarke, Boston, Quickley, etc, etc...? That he could get buried in that b/c? Say he goes to Gonzaga, starts/plays a lot, and showcases the shooting skills he has,for 25 mpg----opposed to spot minutes, here an there? Boston, Clarke, Quickley could overshadowed a lot of guards----That's a really, really good trio. So why not go somewhere, where playing time/exposure, could be more?
Cal does a great job with guards. He really does. But he also can bury you(on the bench). To say Juzang has made a mistake is silly. Dude can shoot. Gonzaga's system fits him well. He could go there, and really blossom. MOF, I think he does.

Too long...sorry. Started to delete but, I did spend time writing my drawn out views here. Maybe some substance here, possibly not any.

Sometimes, things are not a perfectly Utopian fit. People get homesick. Is there anyone reading or writing here who hasn't gotten homesick? Ha, then you haven't left from anywhere yet. Frankly, I'm not only a little bit perturbed with Johnny, I'm perturbed at the whole bunch who have seemingly grown up with a cavalier attitude towards making any kind of commitment to anything. Those words ring hollow in many cases--it would appear that many kids these days have a difficult time functioning when things get a little tough, get away from mommy and daddy, and get easily overtaken by the "real world" for which they do not seem well prepared. It's a bit exasperating how they retreat in many cases and how they respond overall. Running/Quitting is now an acceptable means of solving your problems, even if the competition for minutes gets tough. Boy, do I have news for you.

That said, I am not judging him, but am disappointed that he is leaving his teammates. That really shouldn't happen. His family knew well what it meant for him to go to school 2000 miles from home. What did they expect?

I also have traveled extensively and enough out west and beyond--to Alaska and Hawaii--to know that generally speaking, people from there are just different from those of us who are from the east or who have spent most of their life in the eastern US. For Johnny, Kyle Wilcher, and Marcus Lee, some of that longing for the west has come into play.

Whatever the reason, I wish in the end kids would feel more loyalty to the school and certainly to their teammates. You don't join the Air Force and weeks later decide it's not your "cup of tea." Part of that good grounding experience (that I think firmly that it is) by signing up is that you generally cannot back out, unless under the most unusual of circumstances. It makes you commit and do your best. Johnny should be here next year.

Reactions: villefan76
Too long...sorry. Started to delete but, I did spend time writing my drawn out views here. Maybe some substance here, possibly not any.

Sometimes, things are not a perfectly Utopian fit. People get homesick. Is there anyone reading or writing here who hasn't gotten homesick? Ha, then you haven't left from anywhere yet. Frankly, I'm not only a little bit perturbed with Johnny, I'm perturbed at the whole bunch who have seemingly grown up with a cavalier attitude towards making any kind of commitment to anything. Those words ring hollow in many cases--it would appear that many kids these days have a difficult time functioning when things get a little tough, get away from mommy and daddy, and get easily overtaken by the "real world" for which they do not seem well prepared. It's a bit exasperating how they retreat in many cases and how they respond overall. Running/Quitting is now an acceptable means of solving your problems, even if the competition for minutes gets tough. Boy, do I have news for you.

That said, I am not judging him, but am disappointed that he is leaving his teammates. That really shouldn't happen. His family knew well what it meant for him to go to school 2000 miles from home. What did they expect?

I also have traveled extensively and enough out west and beyond--to Alaska and Hawaii--to know that generally speaking, people from there are just different from those of us who are from the east or who have spent most of their life in the eastern US. For Johnny, Kyle Wilcher, and Marcus Lee, some of that longing for the west has come into play.

Whatever the reason, I wish in the end kids would feel more loyalty to the school and certainly to their teammates. You don't join the Air Force and weeks later decide it's not your "cup of tea." Part of that good grounding experience (that I think firmly that it is) by signing up is that you generally cannot back out, unless under the most unusual of circumstances. It makes you commit and do your best. Johnny should be here next year.
Good post. Especially towards the end, kinda like a Ryan Harrow situation. And as you said, what do the parents or Johnny think will happen if he ever gets an NBA contract? He’ll be on the road a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT