ADVERTISEMENT

Juzang transferring

A bit. You would have a guy that carried a team to a FF behind Clarke. The allies bombed Germany a bit.

Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back, it's obvious that was the wrong decision. But when faced with a "play the top5 recruit or play a 4-star because he might be ready".. you almost always take the first option.

An example I was thinking, and it's not perfect, but..

Do you take Hardy and play him, and cast Askew off to the side? You do.. and it works, probably 90% of the time or more, because Hardy is the better player. But it's not 100%. Maybe Hardy, like BJ, is a bust.. and maybe Askew, like Juzang, finds his groove in his 2nd year. (edit: Im sure Askew is going to be a sticking point for you, so pick a different example.. Toppin and Chet, IDC)

Even still.. Juzang left for MORE than just BJ/Clarke.. we still had Allen coming off his RS season, still had IQ and Hagans (at this point). Juzang left well before our team for 2021 rounded into shape. Oh well.

I don’t think Juzang goes first round. It’s possible but not likely. Solid player. Good shooter. Lacking speed and quickness to compete in the NBA. College basketball skills don’t generally translate to the NBA without athleticism. It happens but not often. That said, he may be able to train and get the speed and quickness up.
Kyle Korver says hello.

• Haha
Reactions: MakinMusic
Juzang will be a first rounder this year but I don’t follow the crappy NBA anymore. Juzang has played his way into the best tournament player role so far.

I just want our team to be a contender every year, and what‘s happened this last year puts that in question.

Our optimism for next year will never return to what we’ve experienced already. Depending on highly ranked recruits and a thin bench could spell mediocrity as easy as expecting to play in the final weekend.

Juzang will be a first rounder this year but I don’t follow the crappy NBA anymore. Juzang has played his way into the best tournament player role so far.

I just want our team to be a contender every year, and what‘s happened this last year puts that in question.

Our optimism for next year will never return to what we’ve experienced already. Depending on highly ranked recruits and a thin bench could spell mediocrity as easy as expecting to play in the final weekend.

He may be a 1st rounder but I don’t see it. There are some things that might help in that regard that I won’t discuss here. Who knows.

He may be a 1st rounder but I don’t see it. There are some things that might help in that regard that I won’t discuss here. Who knows.
Was Booker a first round lock? Seems to me he was a maybe also prior to the official workouts.

Was Booker a first round lock? Seems to me he was a maybe also prior to the official workouts.

I don’t recall. I think he went 13th. He’s stronger athletically in my opinion than Juzang. Booker has certainly shown he was worthy of that draft spot. Maybe Juzang does the same thing.

Juzang has to leave UCLA after 1 year if he wants to be drafted in the 1st round. Is he leaving?

I think he MAY be good enough for the 1st round.. but a late 2nd pick wouldn't surprise me.

Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back, it's obvious that was the wrong decision. But when faced with a "play the top5 recruit or play a 4-star because he might be ready".. you almost always take the first option.

An example I was thinking, and it's not perfect, but..

Do you take Hardy and play him, and cast Askew off to the side? You do.. and it works, probably 90% of the time or more, because Hardy is the better player. But it's not 100%. Maybe Hardy, like BJ, is a bust.. and maybe Askew, like Juzang, finds his groove in his 2nd year. (edit: Im sure Askew is going to be a sticking point for you, so pick a different example.. Toppin and Chet, IDC)

Even still.. Juzang left for MORE than just BJ/Clarke.. we still had Allen coming off his RS season, still had IQ and Hagans (at this point). Juzang left well before our team for 2021 rounded into shape. Oh well.
You watch both in practice and you play them both in the early season against the cupcakes. Which ever is playing better over time will keep getting more minutes. As a coach you can let the film and statistics do the talking for you to the players. Keep giving your backup some minutes because your primary may blow out a knee or lose his mind. Just because you are a 5* doesn't mean I have to protect your heart. Hard conversation but that is what a coach is paid to do.

You watch both in practice and you play them both in the early season against the cupcakes. Which ever is playing better over time will keep getting more minutes. As a coach you can let the film and statistics do the talking for you to the players. Keep giving your backup some minutes because your primary may blow out a knee or lose his mind. Just because you are a 5* doesn't mean I have to protect your heart. Hard conversation but that is what a coach is paid to do.

I mean, BJ Boston was (surprisingly) our best player through the first 5 games. Only Sarr and Clarke had better performances spirnkled in there.

At the time, it's hard to take BJ out. Even IF you take in the games he started to struggle in, his talent was there. Cal, like his other top recruits, was going to play his most talented guys, in hopes they could get going.

I think we undersell BJ a bit. Someone said it best during the year: "We realize he's our leading scorer, right?".

I mean, BJ Boston was (surprisingly) our best player through the first 5 games. Only Sarr and Clarke had better performances spirnkled in there.

At the time, it's hard to take BJ out. Even IF you take in the games he started to struggle in, his talent was there. Cal, like his other top recruits, was going to play his most talented guys, in hopes they could get going.

I think we undersell BJ a bit. Someone said it best during the year: "We realize he's our leading scorer, right?".
Being the leading scorer on a 9-16 team is like being the smartest kid in special ed.

Being the leading scorer on a 9-16 team is like being the smartest kid in special ed.

What does the record have to do with anything?

Some think BJ was supposed to be subbed out for Juzang or Allen as they were better.. but BJ was our best player to start the season.. You can't take him out to play Juzang or Allen regardless of that we were 1-3 or 1-5.

No underselling ... he was bad. Leading scorer or not. His efficiency and shooting percentages were bad. He was definitely our leading shot taker, I’ll give him that

No underselling ... he was bad. Leading scorer or not. His efficiency and shooting percentages were bad. He was definitely our leading shot taker, I’ll give him that

Efficiency or not, you can't take him out. He was our most effective player, even if the team as a whole was ineffective. Shot misses be damned, you'd be hard pressed to find a coach who benches BJ in December.

If you're still stinking the house up after so many games to me there is a time where you have to change things up. After so many losses your game plan and/or your rotation has to change. Not a lot of change after the 7-9th loss I saw this year. You're losing already so why not try other things. Throw spaghetti against the wall and see what happens because you are already headed down and out. Play zone for an entire half. Teach a junk defense or two. Maybe you will find something that works. Tell the fans after the game what you are trying.

Not really picking on one player.

@the nail at the foul line

God damn, I'm impressed with this. With the exception of the part where I undervalued Juzang a bit, the rest was spot on. I don't think it's a given he leaves after this year (making him a 3 year player), but he MAY be playing himself into what could be a 1st rounder this year.

Shewww.. all I missed was what EVERYONE missed here, that Juzang was more talented than we realize. And we probably shouldn't have played BJ for as long as we did, but I still see the reasons for doing it.
The fact you're trying to sell ppl that A) Juzang would have gotten less minutes on this years team and B ) less than 10 minutes on average for the year on a team devoid of any shooting is well special to say the least. Incredibly wrong but special.

The fact you're trying to sell ppl that A) Juzang would have gotten less minutes on this years team and B ) less than 10 minutes on average for the year on a team devoid of any shooting is well special to say the least. Incredibly wrong but special.

At the time he made his decision.. that's a huge difference. Once again, he was going up against IQ who was still here, Allen, and two top10 2/3's who we thought would be amazing. Had IQ returned and Clarke not been injured, I don't think Cal was giving him more than 10. He certainly wasn't getting like 18 or 20.

I don't get it.. you bitch endlessly how Cal doesn't play his 4*s and favors his 5*s.. then you turn around and say Juzang was getting more than 10 minutes? On what grounds? lol.

SHOULD Juzang gotten more minutes at the time? That's hindsight. WOULD Juzang have helped the team with more minutes? I think we all can see that as a "yes".

At the time he made his decision.. that's a huge difference. Once again, he was going up against IQ who was still here, Allen, and two top10 2/3's who we thought would be amazing. Had IQ returned and Clarke not been injured, I don't think Cal was giving him more than 10. He certainly wasn't getting like 18 or 20.

I don't get it.. you bitch endlessly how Cal doesn't play his 4*s and favors his 5*s.. then you turn around and say Juzang was getting more than 10 minutes? On what grounds? lol.
1) IQ was never coming back he went in the first round. UK has a mass exodus every good year we have. Nice try to spin that.
2) On what grounds do I think Juzang would get more than 10 minutes a game this year? Well for starters he averaged 12.3 MPG as a freshmen on a far superior UK team. So your amazing and as you say "Factual" take was that Juzangs minutes would GO DOWN from his freshman year? Juzang is likely our starting SG this year and averages around 25 mpg maybe more.
3) How does allen even enter into this. argument he didn't even play until SEC play which is so counter to your minutes argument I'm unsure why you'd even bring it up. Allen was not projected as a come in and start right away guy at all, he was coming off a devastating knee injury. The only reason he played this year is because we were soooo bad at perimeter shooting, something JJ excels at and would've extremely pumped his minutes.
4) Clarke being injured really has nothing to do with this bc in the games he played he was proven to be a non factor and would've no way inhibited JJ from playing the SG spot.
5) Im in favor of playing the players that earn minutes regardless of rank. Theres no 4 star 5 star debate with me. Best players should play, period end of story.

That enough for you to take your ball and go home clark?

Last edited:
1) IQ was never coming back he went in the first round. UK has a mass exodus every good year we have. Nice try to spin that.
2) On what grounds do I think Juzang would get more than 10 minutes a game this year? Well for starters he averaged 12.3 MPG as a freshmen on a far superior UK team. So your amazing and as you say "Factual" take was that Juzangs minutes would GO DOWN from his freshman year? Juzang is likely our starting SG this year and averages around 25 mpg maybe more.
3) How does allen even enter into this. argument he didn't even play until SEC play which is so counter to your minutes argument I'm unsure why you'd even bring it up. Allen was not projected as a come in and start right away guy at all, he was coming off a devastating knee injury. The only reason he played this year is because we were soooo bad at perimeter shooting, something JJ excels at and would've extremely pumped his minutes.
4) Clarke being injured really has nothing to do with this bc in the games he played he was proven to be a non factor and would've no way inhibited JJ from playing the SG spot.

That enough for you to take your ball and go home clark?

1. My prediction was clearly predicated on the fact that IQ was still with the team and Clarke not being injured for 80% of the season. You can't spin something that didn't happen.
2. The far superior team is short-sighted. As it turns out, INCLUDING IQ.. we still had a lot of talent in the 2-3 spots, with Allen, Clarke and Bj.. not to mention Brooks. Despite the team being better the year before doesn't change the fact that Juzang actually had MORE players to compete with.
3. The fact that Allen got so little time is kind of my basis for the "Juzang will get 10 min" argument. He only got playing time when we absolutely had no other choice. Again, something that we didn't know back in April of 2020.
4. It absolutely DOES matter, because if he wasn't injured, Cal was going to play his 5* one and done player all he could. As we all very well know, and as someone like you would remind this forum daily.

I just don't think, at the time, Juzang was going to get any more minutes. Now, with the way the roster shook out this year, I guess he would have had more opportunities. And should he have had more opportunities knowing how good he was, if we could change things? Absolutely.

"Take my ball and go home".. yuck. that doesn't even really fit. 2/10.

If you want me to say I was wrong on my assessment of how good Juzang was, and how it turns out JJ likely is the better option than BJ or Clarke. Sure. He blew away my expectations of him.

But I really don't believe he gets the chance to play meaningful minutes this year, as we know how Cal feels about his 4-stars compared to his 5-stars. We've seen this play out time and time again. Not a 5-star, your leash is shorter.

Answer me this: IF Juzang was slated for some big minute increase, why did he leave? Right, because it wasn't being homesick, as I'm told. According to this board, Juzang left because Cal wasn't playing him. It was because the way he envisioned Cal utilizing him and the fact that he saw, for right or wrong, two guys coming in who were going to pass him on the depth chart, along with a healthy Allen, Brooks and a possible return in IQ

If YOU think Juzang was going to get WAY more than 10 minutes.. how come Juzang himself didn't know this, and felt it was best to go some place where he would play?

1. My prediction was clearly predicated on the fact that IQ was still with the team and Clarke not being injured for 80% of the season. You can't spin something that didn't happen.
2. The far superior team is short-sighted. As it turns out, INCLUDING IQ.. we still had a lot of talent in the 2-3 spots, with Allen, Clarke and Bj.. not to mention Brooks. Despite the team being better the year before doesn't change the fact that Juzang actually had MORE players to compete with.
3. The fact that Allen got so little time is kind of my basis for the "Juzang will get 10 min" argument. He only got playing time when we absolutely had no other choice. Again, something that we didn't know back in April of 2020.
4. It absolutely DOES matter, because if he wasn't injured, Cal was going to play his 5* one and done player all he could. As we all very well know, and as someone like you would remind this forum daily.

I just don't think, at the time, Juzang was going to get any more minutes. Now, with the way the roster shook out this year, I guess he would have had more opportunities. And should he have had more opportunities knowing how good he was, if we could change things? Absolutely.

"Take my ball and go home".. yuck. that doesn't even really fit. 2/10.
Lol man how hard are you trying to spin this. " IQ was still with the team" I'm pretty sure by that logic so were Hagans, Maxey, Richards, EJ... So nobody was getting any minutes!!! Its a delusional take at best.

Juzang would've played the 2 spot not the 3. Brooks Clarke and BJ are no where near a 2G. Another clearly ridiculous spin.

Juzang is a much better player than allen and was one of UK best scores down the stretch when he got the opportunity last year. Also nobody was pencilling in Allen for any minutes bc the whole team was coming back right? Also at the time of your post you couldn't have possibly known allen would get "so little time" so stop trying to move the goal post of when you posted this to suit your narrative. You're just using false dichotomy fallacies all over the place tbh.

Clarke would've never played the 2 here under Cal maybe Point Forward or the 3 but never the 2 spot.

I not going to argue with you any further bc you're incapable of admitting you were just wrong and will double and triple down with argument fallacies that will suit you point by point which is kind of sad to read to be honest. Have a good one.

I not going to argue with you any further bc you're incapable of admitting you were just wrong and will double and triple down with argument fallacies that will suit you point by point which is kind of sad to read to be honest. Have a good one.

Unfortunately you can't be wrong on something that didn't happen. We'll never know if Juzang was going to get the minutes you think Cal keeps for his 5-stars. Have a good one, too.

Unfortunately you can't be wrong on something that didn't happen. We'll never know if Juzang was going to get the minutes you think Cal keeps for his 5-stars. Have a good one, too.
Just completely side stepped your false assumption strategy there where IQ was back on that date but no one else was. I'd avoid that part too tbh.

Just completely side stepped your false assumption strategy there where IQ was back on that date but no one else was. I'd avoid that part too tbh.

Sorry, you already did your "I'm getting the last word and now we're done" bit.

But to humor you (despite leaving my questions unanswered).. Maxey was for sure gone, EJ and Hagans wanted out. I don't think IQ was an automatic departure like you assume. That decision came two weeks later. I figured there was a chance we had him back, but I assumed all others were gone.

I'm busy reading in another thread how pretty much EVERYONE.. especially the anti-Cal types.. say there was no way in hell Juzang was getting meaningful minutes, let alone be anywhere near a starter.

It's as if I said the exact same thing, last year! lolol.

“JOHNYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! OUT!!!!! YOU!!!! OOOUUUUUTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! You gave up one backdoor layup so you’re ass isn’t playing the rest of the game. KEION GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”

-Cal

“okay I’m out, I’ll go take UCLA to the final four.”

-Johnny

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT