ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Edwards' ceiling.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
What are your thoughts on how high his potential goes?

It's not every day that we land a small forward with his abilities. Cal has been miserable at attracting the elite of the elite wing forwards, but Edwards appears to be that guy.

I think his ceiling might be along the lines of a Brandon Ingram type. I'm not sure we've had a scorer capable of doing what Edwards can do at the small forward spot since Ron Mercer.

Very high ceiling. To me his is more skilled than Ingram was in college but not as long and lengthy. (though I could be wrong about that) He seems to move very fluidly almost like a 2 gaurd to the point I still think he would be effective if he was only 6'3. He can stop and pop at a moments notice and is just incredibly smooth while doing it. I think he is a top 5 pick.

By the way, @Aike , thanks for planting that seed of nostalgia. Brought me back to how fun the Big East was back then. Lopez, Iverson, Ray Allen, Kittles, John Wallace, Lawrence Moten. Those were some fun players to watch. I'm mentioned it many times how much I wanted Ray Allen in Lexington, but getting a guy like Kittles out of Louisiana would have also been otherworldly.

He could be Michael Jordan who knows. Cals due to have an MJ type guy. Maybe not his level but a top 25 all time nba guy.

I’ve seen this kid multiple times against elite competition. His ceiling will never be witnessed at Uk. Edwards is a special talent.

We will get but a taste, but I see a guy who is so smooth and controlled in scoring. He will remind some of Mercer while others will see some Tayshaun in him.

Regardless, he is the kind of talent we used to get in droves. One of the more versatile scorers Cal has gotten in some time.

Enjoy him!

Probably bc he’s a lefty, but, I see a lot of Calbert Cheaney in Edwards. They’re both 6-7 3s, who can play small ball 4. Edwards seems to be a little better of an athlete, but, their games are similar, IMO. Both are just smooth players, who have that sweet lefty stroke & can score at all 3 levels. Both have a pretty explosive first step taking the ball to the basket & finish very well at the rim. Both will give you 7-8 rebounds/game. Both handle the ball fairly well for a forward & are willing & solid passers.

I haven’t really seen enough of Edwards to judge him defensively & in other phases, like court awareness & leadership qualities. But, based on what I’ve seen he seems to be a pretty complete player, offensively, for a HS SR.

We’ll only see him for 1 year, so, obviously, I’m not expecting a NPOY, or, an all-time leading scorer, like Cheaney. But, when watching Edwards, Cheaney was the first player comparison to pop into my head. Cheaney had a long 13 year NBA career & I expect Edwards to stick around for a while in the league, as well. But, IMO, he has a higher ceiling as a FR & could be an all-star type player, eventually.

MKG with a jumper, now that’s a hell of a player!
Not a hat kind of motor/player.
Edwards is more smooth. Not really a good UK player comp. The closest might be a taller DA, or Rhodes.
Actually I think Hannibal above got it right comparing him to Cheaney.

I’ve seen this kid multiple times against elite competition. His ceiling will never be witnessed at Uk. Edwards is a special talent.

We will get but a taste, but I see a guy who is so smooth and controlled in scoring. He will remind some of Mercer while others will see some Tayshaun in him.

Regardless, he is the kind of talent we used to get in droves. One of the more versatile scorers Cal has gotten in some time.

Enjoy him!
I am beginning to get excited for the season....getting all tingley inside!!!!! GO CATS!!!💙

Probably bc he’s a lefty, but, I see a lot of Calbert Cheaney in Edwards. They’re both 6-7 3s, who can play small ball 4. Edwards seems to be a little better of an athlete, but, their games are similar, IMO. Both are just smooth players, who have that sweet lefty stroke & can score at all 3 levels. Both have a pretty explosive first step taking the ball to the basket & finish very well at the rim. Both will give you 7-8 rebounds/game. Both handle the ball fairly well for a forward & are willing & solid passers.

I haven’t really seen enough of Edwards to judge him defensively & in other phases, like court awareness & leadership qualities. But, based on what I’ve seen he seems to be a pretty complete player, offensively, for a HS SR.

We’ll only see him for 1 year, so, obviously, I’m not expecting a NPOY, or, an all-time leading scorer, like Cheaney. But, when watching Edwards, Cheaney was the first player comparison to pop into my head. Cheaney had a long 13 year NBA career & I expect Edwards to stick around for a while in the league, as well. But, IMO, he has a higher ceiling as a FR & could be an all-star type player, eventually.
This is a near perfect comparison, and one I made recently when discussing him with family. The guy I was talking to was too young to remember Calbert, so I changed the comparison to Prince.

These younguns don’t recall those guys 🤣

Calbert Cheaney was like a mini, budget Mashburn. Man I would **love** to have one of him.

I can see that. Good comparison. In time, I could see Edwards putting on some muscle and playing a bit like Steve Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHannibalSmith
How often do projected #1 picks underperform? I feel like he's going to be very good.
If he goes #1 in the draft, it probably means we went to at least the Elite 8 and won over 30 games. Cal's never won less than 32 games with a top 5 pick on his roster (not counting Kanter, who didn't get to play obviously). Sample size is 7 years: 1996, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017.

How often do projected #1 picks underperform? I feel like he's going to be very good.
Well at least some thought Skal and BJ would be the top pick. I don't think that will happen to Edwards but it certainly has happened. Bates was thought to be the next great player, he went second round this year.

I can’t wait to watch Edwards and Wagner play. I think those two are going to be excellent this season. I really believe the talent is there for this team to break the slump we’ve been in. I miss the good seasons where the teams were fun to watch and the majority of us on here actually talked about basketball instead of arguing all the time.

• Love
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not a hat kind of motor/player.
Edwards is more smooth. Not really a good UK player comp. The closest might be a taller DA, or Rhodes.
Actually I think Hannibal above got it right comparing him to Cheaney.
James Young with better fundamentals and a more determined mindset.

Thanks for the comparisons, guys. If he plays anywhere close to Cheaney, Middleton, or Steve Smith while he's here, we could be in for a fun season.

Reactions: IrishMike409
This is a near perfect comparison, and one I made recently when discussing him with family. The guy I was talking to was too young to remember Calbert, so I changed the comparison to Prince.

These younguns don’t recall those guys 🤣
Heck, you have to be north of 40 to recall Cheany! I'm upper 30s and he's before my memory of college ball. I can only remember back to about 95 (aside from knowing who Mashburn and Ford were).

Reactions: jrpross

That’s a great comparison

I’ll be honest, I think he’s a little overrated. I think he can definitely be a top 12 pick, but I’d be really surprised if he goes overall #1. JMHO based on watching a few games. Should be a good one though.

What are your thoughts on how high his potential goes?

It's not every day that we land a small forward with his abilities. Cal has been miserable at attracting the elite of the elite wing forwards, but Edwards appears to be that guy.

I think his ceiling might be along the lines of a Brandon Ingram type. I'm not sure we've had a scorer capable of doing what Edwards can do at the small forward spot since Ron Mercer.

Edwards' ceiling depends on his jump shot. Having watched him several times, the rest of his game is already top level. He has it all. If he can consistently drain jump shots, he will be a star at every level. But if he can't, then he is a longer version of Chris Livingston.

The one thing I love is Edwards will be 20 this year and will not be a wet behind the year 18 old. He will be able to handle everything thrown at him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT