ADVERTISEMENT

Just took a quick look at our 19 man class

gamalielkid

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2002
It looks like we are really starting to look like a top 20 program from the quality of players. I have said for several years UK would become a player in college football when we could recruit at least 10 players in every class rated 5.7 or higher. This year's class has 13 of those level players! That doesn't include the transfers in as well. The other positive point is usually 5.6 players we have recruited have done very well here as our coaches have consistently been able to find and develop less rated players. Now if UK can hold its on in this age of NIL we should continue to enjoy success in our football program. The bottomline- Coach Stoops and his leadership have proven to be the right guy for UK!

Go Big Blue!

Me too . A lot of our problems were NIL related. It is obvious there has been a change in the administration’s view/acceptance of NIL.

Agreed. I was really worried for a while. The NIL stuff could be boon/bust for a program like UK. "IF" we can continue to pull key players like Leary, Davis, OL, etc, it could have a snowball effect.

NIL magically cleared up when collectives starting hosting events at KSBar. I guarantee not a single person will be able to say what actual changes were made.

Reactions: Rockford
What is our rank if we just considered Star average?

Seems like we would be even higher if that was the only metric. 19 recruits is a lot lower number than some other teams with a lower star average but more kids signed.

Seems like we would be even higher if that was the only metric. 19 recruits is a lot lower number than some other teams with a lower star average but more kids signed.
25th it looks like which is close Vandy’s 70th when it comes to average star rating. You were right, we are turning into Vanderbilt.

I just noticed a cool function on the Rivals listing: touch the “Ave” at the top of the listing, and it automatically re-ranks the teams on class average. It doesn’t display the new numbers, so you still have to count those ahead of you.

Reactions: catben
Agreed. I was really worried for a while. The NIL stuff could be boon/bust for a program like UK. "IF" we can continue to pull key players like Leary, Davis, OL, etc, it could have a snowball effect.
From last spring until Thanksgiving, there were lots of doomsayers predicting NIL will relegate Kentucky to the bottom of our league because Barnhart is a bad athletics director. Then, voila! Kentucky's class signs, and what do you know? Another good class. How did that happen? It would be nice if some of these ungrateful Barnhart dunkers would have the apples to come on here and admit they were wrong. They won't, because that would spoil their fun.

This class should mostly get redshirted. The new defensive backs are great. Gadson and Gilbert are favs, but Wilcox and Godfrey could be the new stars.

From last spring until Thanksgiving, there were lots of doomsayers predicting NIL will relegate Kentucky to the bottom of our league because Barnhart is a bad athletics director. Then, voila! Kentucky's class signs, and what do you know? Another good class. How did that happen? It would be nice if some of these ungrateful Barnhart dunkers would have the apples to come on here and admit they were wrong. They won't, because that would spoil their fun.

This class should mostly get redshirted. The new defensive backs are great. Gadson and Gilbert are favs, but Wilcox and Godfrey could be the new stars.
Yup, they rode that BS NIL horse for the last 6 months. Made up claims that Barnhart hated NIL and didn’t support it with nothing to back it up. Now it’s “changes have been made”. Yeah, sure there were. They were promoting a false narrative that is bad for the program. Name another fanbase that negative recruits itself and falsely claims it’s school doesn’t support NIL.

2 best classes in school history since Rivals has been rating the two NIL years when we were behind and didn’t support it. Something isn’t adding up. Most 4 stars onnnexts years roster since rivals was a thing. Keep promoting your fraudulent narrative.

Reactions: delk4three
Yup, they rode that BS NIL horse for the last 6 months. Made up claims that Barnhart hated NIL and didn’t support it with nothing to back it up. Now it’s “changes have been made”. Yeah, sure there were. They were promoting a false narrative that is bad for the program. Name another fanbase that negative recruits itself and falsely claims it’s school doesn’t support NIL.

2 best classes in school history since Rivals has been rating the two NIL years when we were behind and didn’t support it. Something isn’t adding up. Most 4 stars onnnexts years roster since rivals was a thing. Keep promoting your fraudulent narrative.
There are so many uninformed sources out there. Unless they have subscribed to our 15 Club or actually read the rules themselves, I do not think the average fan even understands what NIL is yet or how it affects recruiting. That's alright, I guess, because things are changing so fast that it is not all that simple to understand.

If CMS redshirts these top players, they will be in the December Portal.

Those days are long gone. If a player is good enough to play as a freshman, you better find a way to get them on the field enough to keep them on your roster if possible.

Redshirting is a guaranteed way to lose them to another school.

Last edited:
I'd CMS redshirts these top players, they will be in the December Portal.

Those days are long gone. If a player is good enough to play as a freshman, you better find a way to get them on the field enough to keep them on your roster if possible.

Redshirting is a guaranteed way to lose them to another school.
Of course it isn't that way. Some players are expecting to redshirt. Some prefer to redshirt. But I will agree you can't redshirt a player anymore unless he is on board with the decision. It puts an additional burden on the evaluation. Our coaches discuss this with the players and family during recruiting.

Of course it isn't that way. Some players are expecting to redshirt. Some prefer to redshirt. But I will agree you can't redshirt a player anymore unless he is on board with the decision. It puts an additional burden on the evaluation. Our coaches discuss this with the players and family during recruiting.
Yes. Thanks. That's what I was referring to.

A player almost has to request a redshirt or you run the risk of them moving on. Especially the most talented players.

Yes. Thanks. That's what I was referring to.

A player almost has to request a redshirt or you run the risk of them moving on. Especially the most talented players.
Some players need a year of prep before SEC football. Some are healing from an injury or need surgery. Some like the idea of an extra free year of education. That idea was popular with my parents. Some just want a head start on class requirements for graduation so classwork does not become such a pain later. Few college football players make it to the NFL. But there are players like Valentine who are focused from the start on a pro career, and you cannot redshirt them unless they request it and their family agrees. Saban makes a living by signing that kind of player. It has not been Stoops' preference, but he has made the adjustment. This is where Marrow has a big influence.

There are so many uninformed sources out there. Unless they have subscribed to our 15 Club or actually read the rules themselves, I do not think the average fan even understands what NIL is yet or how it affects recruiting. That's alright, I guess, because things are changing so fast that it is not all that simple to understand.
Why is it called 15 Club?

While things on the NIL front are looking up, It's still a question as to how sustainable it is and if we will ever be able to pull together the resources to compete with the upper eschelon of the SEC in regards to NIL. We can win some battles, but we will never be able to outbid the likes of Bama, Auburn, Florida, A&M, Georgia, gulp...UT. and down the road Texas and Oklahoma. How do we win those battles?

but we will never be able to outbid the likes of Bama, Auburn, Florida, A&M, Georgia, gulp...UT. and down the road Texas and Oklahoma. How do we win those battles?
By not trying to fight a war we can't win.

By adopting an FSU strategy, an Ole Miss strategy, become destination for former high ranked high school recruits when they enter the portal. Continue developing a reputation that guys from other schools come here and become much higher regarded NFL draft prospects. Like Kelvin Joseph, like Wandale, like Levis.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
To win those battles we must drop JMI. They will hold us down forever. We need to go with Learfield. Have them build us an NIL Center…The Mecca of NIL… nicer than Alabama’s! JMI would never do that for us!! Dump the Gorilla!! Dump JMI!!!

While things on the NIL front are looking up, It's still a question as to how sustainable it is and if we will ever be able to pull together the resources to compete with the upper eschelon of the SEC in regards to NIL. We can win some battles, but we will never be able to outbid the likes of Bama, Auburn, Florida, A&M, Georgia, gulp...UT. and down the road Texas and Oklahoma. How do we win those battles?
Players do not necessarily think like you. Some do, but some do not. The University of Kentucky has a lot to offer, and there are many features that can appeal to a player and his parents.

Some players need a year of prep before SEC football. Some are healing from an injury or need surgery. Some like the idea of an extra free year of education. That idea was popular with my parents. Some just want a head start on class requirements for graduation so classwork does not become such a pain later. Few college football players make it to the NFL. But there are players like Valentine who are focused from the start on a pro career, and you cannot redshirt them unless they request it and their family agrees. Saban makes a living by signing that kind of player. It has not been Stoops' preference, but he has made the adjustment. This is where Marrow has a big influence.

All of those schools are not offering huge NIL deals. The only ones who are would be UT and A&M, UF tried and it blew up in their faces. AU is offering a little but not huge amounts. Bama and UGA are offering mostly nothing for recruits other development, what little NIL UGA has goes to current players, not future players.

I think the schools offering big money to recruits can be counted on 2 hands.

There’s only 4 or 5 programs in the elite class. We have to keep steadily building. 20 4 start recruits in 2 years is a great start. Our class has a higher average star rating than Michigan. We just have to keep building on this and never bring in another Rich Scangarello or not have a real special teams coach. Both are program killers. This should have been another 10 win season and we let it slip away.

The notion that we were behind everyone in NIL is complete BS. We are behind the elite class like 99% of the country is and most likely always will be.

There’s only 4 or 5 programs in the elite class.

The notion that we were behind everyone in NIL is complete BS.
Another website has been promoting the false narrative about NIL and Kentucky, promoting anger with the AD. Best I can figure, clicks are more important to them than accuracy. But it is poisoning the fan base.

All of those schools are not offering huge NIL deals. The only ones who are would be UT and A&M, UF tried and it blew up in their faces. AU is offering a little but not huge amounts. Bama and UGA are offering mostly nothing for recruits other development, what little NIL UGA has goes to current players, not future players.

I think the schools offering big money to recruits can be counted on 2 hands.
UT will probably always buy players now that it`s somewhat legal, after all, they did it when it wasn`t legal. My preference would be to allow athletes to earn their NIL money after they have proven themselves on the field. To me, that`s selling their brand.

Another website has been promoting the false narrative about NIL and Kentucky, promoting anger with the AD. Best I can figure, clicks are more important to them than accuracy. But it is poisoning the fan base.
He’s desperate to host events at his restaurant exclusively. When he doesn’t get his way suddenly we have issues with NIL. When collectives add a meetup to the bar, suddenly we don’t. His sheep have helped him extort the program.

UT will probably always buy players now that it`s somewhat legal, after all, they did it when it wasn`t legal. My preference would be to allow athletes to earn their NIL money after they have proven themselves on the field. To me, that`s selling their brand.
SEC teams just got a healthy $50M pay day. Chunk of that will be funneled to TN boosters who'll then shoot it back to NIL. Expect a round of commits for them soon.

I was scared to death. Still am, I want to see another top class next season but still, it’s good to see.

It is not "somewhat legal" for UT to pay money to players. That is still a violation. Read the NIL rule.

It is not "somewhat legal" for UT to pay money to players. That is still a violation. Read the NIL rule.
Exactly, the sheep think not blatantly violating the rules is “holding back NIL”. Using NIL as an inducement in recruiting or a school paying players is and always has been 100% illegal. There is nothing about it that is somewhat legal. That’s pay for play, not NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT