ADVERTISEMENT

Just outta curiosity

I got tired of the Calipari worshipping a long time ago. And if there is one thing thats more annoying than that its the constant delusions that other programs suck. Some of my favorites are in reference to Duke and UL. For Duke its; "good luck getting past the Mercer's and LeHigh's of the world" meanwhile they have won 2 national titles since Cal has been here. I mean some posters really don't realize how stupid that looks to cite early exits on a program that has won 2 titles in the last 6 years.

Then you have the constant "UL is going to suck. Pitino won't last 15 seconds in the ACC. They can't touch UK etc etc" and all UL and Pitino do is just keep winning (national title in 2013 while we were first round loss in the NIT), not to mention a few plays away from being in the final four just this past season. We went 38-1 and made it one game further in the tourney than UL. I hate UL too but its amazing how so many posters on here live in a world of delusion where they think UL is irrelevant.

When it comes to Cal, I think many are afraid to admit what they think because they don't want it to be true. I break Cal down into likes and dislikes.

2) Innovative and a forward-thinker (ESPN all access, NBA "UK-only" Combine, etc
3) Philanthropist

Dislike
1) Gets really tight in big games when he is the favorite
2) Stubborn as hell (refuses to watch film, call time-outs, go zone, play "certain kids", etc
3) Constantly flirting with the NBA and never really putting it to bed

I have been on record saying that I think Cal will always have us close, but I don't think he wins another title at UK. I actually agree with a lot of what Derek Anderson said in regard to his ability to coach. I don't think Ill ever get over 3 straight shot clock violations against Wisconsin. Ill never understand that and yes I blame Cal. I don't think Ill ever get over the fact that UL beat Uconn by 30 in 2014, we beat UL, and we lost to Uconn in the final.

Cal has won one title here in six years, and it took arguably the greatest college basketball player in the modern era to do it, along with the number two pick in the draft, along with Terrance Jones who is quickly turning into one of the better players in all of the NBA. He's had more talent than anyone over the years and only one title. The final fours we have enjoyed have been great. Wouldn't trade them for anything. But Cal has been caught with this one and done thing and will need a new strategy. As always, just my opinion. Sorry for those of you who read this and think "damn, he's probably right". You will be the same ones that bash me.
This is a perfect example of the opposite.

You're making all these excuses for K and for Pitino, and looking for reasons to say that Cal is overrated.

Those are the three best resumes in CBB since Cal has been here - and you're slurping two and dogging one. K has had a sick amount of talent, so have Self and Miller and Roy and Barnes and Matta and Drew and Pastner and Donovan. No, none has had exactly as much talent as Cal in the last 6 years, but none of those listed except K (the GOAT) has been nearly as successful as Cal in that time, either.

Again, you're gonna be hard pressed to find a poster who doesn't think Cal can be criticized. That's the ultimate strawman. It's just we ask that you try to be the slightest bit objective and not hold him to a higher standard than other elite coaches. Because by any objective standard, he's doing an A+ job, and we'd like to discuss and critique it (both positives and negatives - both taken in perspective of the big picture of the history of this program) without the eeyores pouring in with thread after thread of doom and gloom in the midst one of the best runs in CBB history.

Is that really so much to ask?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aike
I think one of the bigger problems, esp this past season is you couldn't live in the moment on this board positive or negatively. When this team would hit a stretch and play poorly, if you pointed it out, you were hand wringing or couldn't look at the bigger picture. Or my favorite's were the fact the team was undefeated. "20-0!" "22-0!" would be screamed at you. I think we all knew this team was good and would compete for the Final Four but they had games where they didn't look good & it was frowned upon if that was brought up.On the other side of the coin, if UK smacked a team by 30, it was littered with "The opponent was terrible!" and "well that's what we should do."

The Cal thing on here is crazy. It's very black & white. You either think he's the greatest coach on the planet or he's some bum who "just rolls the balls out." People can't see when he makes mistakes or when things happen that are out of his control. I've defended Cal on here and I've criticized Cal on here. I'm not sure where people think I stand on Cal but I think he's a great coach, great recruiter, and an average X and O guy. And when he makes what I perceive as a mistake I'm probably going to point it out same as if he does something terrific I'll point it out too. The guy may not be perfect but he's perfect for this job. Doesn't mean he's above criticism either.

no, I do not hate it. What I hate is homers who can't see something realistically for what it is, either good or bad.

The word has become more and more part of the norm around here and yet these past 6 years I don't think there's has been a whole lot of bad here lol

I'd rather read a thousand posts by 'sunshine pumpers' than a handful of ZaytovenCat/ZZBlueCat(sp)? posts. Guys like that are nonexistent around here until issues arise that they deem appropriate to completely blast Calipari and what he's doing here at UK (unprecedented winning).

I'm all for fair representations of opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT