ADVERTISEMENT

Just outta curiosity

I don't really hate it. There a lot worse things people could say on a message board. I try to stay somewhere in the middle betwee that camp and the chronically negative camp.

The Debbie downer and you must be a Louisville fan or want Tubby/BCG back if you have concerns about next season aren't any better.

I root for UK, and I'll do it until I'm dead. But theres a small segment on this board that takes the Calipari "pumping" to a whole new level. It's almost sick. You even have certain posters who downgrade this program before they will downgrade anything Cal does. This is the same crowd that if you say cal is anything other than an A+ floor coach you are a hater basher troll etc...

I love Cal and I love UK but I have no problem forming my own opinions or trying to look at everything objectively.

The sunshine "pumpers" are SOME of the worst this board has to offer.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
IMO you got extremes.

We got the other group who despite the amazing amount of success we have had over the past 6 years, hate Cal and what he's doing.

I just think it's kinda messed up to label someone a sunshine pumper just because they are optimistic about the future of the program.

Some people are negative and some tend to be positive.

To me life is too short to be negative all the time.

Having said that, you can be realistic and not be negative.

As our team stands, a title seems unlikely, but that doesn't mean we can't hope for a title and enjoy the season.

Reactions: Jkwo
I root for UK, and I'll do it until I'm dead. But theres a small segment on this board that takes the Calipari "pumping" to a whole new level. It's almost sick. You even have certain posters who downgrade this program before they will downgrade anything Cal does. This is the same crowd that if you say cal is anything other than an A+ floor coach you are a hater basher troll etc...

I love Cal and I love UK but I have no problem forming my own opinions or trying to look at everything objectively.

The sunshine "pumpers" are SOME of the worst this board has to offer.
I agree with this. It's one thing to "root" for your team as we all do, but to think the players and the coach is perfect is being plain unobjective. Those type posters, I give no credence to.

Sunshine pumpers are like groupies, they follow the team and the coach because it's cool.

They aren't hard to find. One of the worst has already posted in this thread.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
I H A T E the term "sunshine pumpers" because I associate it with the horrible, negative football board on this site. Ever go over there? Bitch, bitch, bitch in between constant calls to " far Mitch". It is a sewer of negativity mixed, oddly, with a sense of entitlement that Kentucky football deserves accolades and perks it has never earned. NEVER.

Some of the most negative posters on Rafters come from the football board. Hold your nose and go check it out. Awful.

Some people are negative and some tend to be positive.

To me life is too short to be negative all the time.

Having said that, you can be realistic and not be negative.

As our team stands, a title seems unlikely, but that doesn't mean we can't hope for a title and enjoy the season.

A title seems unlikely most seasons for every team. Often, the team with the best odds to win the title is only 20% or so likely to win it.

At this point, there is no team next year for whom you can say a title is likely. Not even close. So I guess I'll just continue to be happy that our chances appear to be as good as those of anyone else.

I H A T E the term "sunshine pumpers" because I associate it with the horrible, negative football board on this site. Ever go over there? Bitch, bitch, bitch in between constant calls to " far Mitch". It is a sewer of negativity mixed, oddly, with a sense of entitlement that Kentucky football deserves accolades and perks it has never earned. NEVER.

Some of the most negative posters on Rafters come from the football board. Hold your nose and go check it out. Awful.

This don't make sense.. Do you want them to be Alabama football fans and Kentucky basketball fans? So they can feel like a "real winner" all the time? I post on the football board, and I'm positive too. Has no impact whatsoever on what kind of person I am because I hang out on the Wildcat Lair. If somebody is a negative nancy, that's on them, but to place blame on a forum is just stupid.
Now that I mention it, you like Alabama football, winner?

"Sunshine pumpers" is catching on recently, but I've always hated "you've got the blue goggles on" anytime you defend a player or coach or the program.

Just sounds ridiculous and really childish for grown adults to post. It's almost like how dare I as a UK fan defend my team against our haters and the sports media? You can be "realistic" and still defend your team.

Chill Rhavicc, not about YOU. IMO the board is generally very negative, always trashing the players, coaches,CM Newton (hahaha), Mitch,etc.

Not ALL of the posters but many. How's that? ;)

Actually the most overused word on this board is troll.Everyone is assumed to be a troll if they dare question our team in any way.

sunshinepump.gif

Chill Rhavicc, not about YOU. IMO the board is generally very negative, always trashing the players, coaches,CM Newton (hahaha), Mitch,etc.

Not ALL of the posters but many. How's that? ;)

It's about as negative, but probably more reasonable than this board.

Actually the most overused word on this board is troll.Everyone is assumed to be a troll if they dare question our team in any way.

I've seen more cases of people being called a troll after they continuously down the team, or make an account for the sole purpose of being a downer on our team.

We do have Trolls, we also have negative nancies and sunshine pumpers. Don't like the names? Come up with new ones.

Trolls are rival fans here for the sole purpose of pissing everyone off.

Negative Nancies are not happy about anything, jump on all the negatives but for some reason are still fans.

There are definitely sunshine pumpers, never allow any critique of Cal, and think we should be ranked #1 no matter our roster and that every player is an AA and that we will get every recruit and if you disagree you are stupid.

I think the trolls and neg nancies become so bad, the sunshine pumpers come out and defend vigorously and those that are really fans but may have legitimate critique, or question Cal, or the makeup of the roster are caught in the middle.

Everybody gets pissed at each other until a rival fan shows up and we unite and destroy his entire internet being. And then we resume b!tching at each other.

We do have Trolls, we also have negative nancies and sunshine pumpers. Don't like the names? Come up with new ones.

Trolls are rival fans here for the sole purpose of pissing everyone off.

Negative Nancies are not happy about anything, jump on all the negatives but for some reason are still fans.

There are definitely sunshine pumpers, never allow any critique of Cal, and think we should be ranked #1 no matter our roster and that every player is an AA and that we will get every recruit and if you disagree you are stupid.

I think the trolls and neg nancies become so bad, the sunshine pumpers come out and defend vigorously and those that are really fans but may have legitimate critique, or question Cal, or the makeup of the roster are caught in the middle.

Everybody gets pissed at each other until a rival fan shows up and we unite and destroy his entire internet being. And then we resume b!tching at each other.

Pretty accurate. And really it's the nature of message boards. Those who think UK fans, whether they are one or not, are any worse are mistaken. Boards bring out people who, behind the anonymity of a computer screen, feel emboldened to bully others or pick fights, whether it is for "fun" or that's just their nature. It also brings true fans who are passionate, but have vastly different outlooks on life and sports, which naturally results in squabbling. It's why many threads get hijacked by arguments unrelated to the topic at hand.

Reactions: brianpoe
Some people confuse being negative and critical of every set-back and short term development with being an objective 'truth teller.' They take great pride in seeing themselves as hard-eyed and independent and no sell-out to a particular coach or team.

To them, anyone who shrugs off a tough loss - even if admitting it hurts and that it was brought on by some poor plays or questionable coaching decisions -- or who prefers to be positive about the recruits Kentucky does have rather than the ones who choose to go elsewhere is a 'Sunshine Pumper.'

There is another way to look at things that they never consider -- that sports in general and rooting for Kentucky in particular should be mostly a positive thing that adds to your well-rounded life, otherwise its a stupid thing to spend time with.

They also resist perspective -- yes, losing to Wisconsin hurt and missing on a string of recruits is disappointing. But Kentucky is in the midst of a golden era thanks to the changes brought about by John Calipari. It won't last -- a third of the Final Fours Kentucky has reached in my fifty plus years of fandom have been in the past five years. But while it is going on its best to be grateful and enjoy the ride.

I got tired of the Calipari worshipping a long time ago. And if there is one thing thats more annoying than that its the constant delusions that other programs suck. Some of my favorites are in reference to Duke and UL. For Duke its; "good luck getting past the Mercer's and LeHigh's of the world" meanwhile they have won 2 national titles since Cal has been here. I mean some posters really don't realize how stupid that looks to cite early exits on a program that has won 2 titles in the last 6 years.

Then you have the constant "UL is going to suck. Pitino won't last 15 seconds in the ACC. They can't touch UK etc etc" and all UL and Pitino do is just keep winning (national title in 2013 while we were first round loss in the NIT), not to mention a few plays away from being in the final four just this past season. We went 38-1 and made it one game further in the tourney than UL. I hate UL too but its amazing how so many posters on here live in a world of delusion where they think UL is irrelevant.

When it comes to Cal, I think many are afraid to admit what they think because they don't want it to be true. I break Cal down into likes and dislikes.

2) Innovative and a forward-thinker (ESPN all access, NBA "UK-only" Combine, etc
3) Philanthropist

Dislike
1) Gets really tight in big games when he is the favorite
2) Stubborn as hell (refuses to watch film, call time-outs, go zone, play "certain kids", etc
3) Constantly flirting with the NBA and never really putting it to bed

I have been on record saying that I think Cal will always have us close, but I don't think he wins another title at UK. I actually agree with a lot of what Derek Anderson said in regard to his ability to coach. I don't think Ill ever get over 3 straight shot clock violations against Wisconsin. Ill never understand that and yes I blame Cal. I don't think Ill ever get over the fact that UL beat Uconn by 30 in 2014, we beat UL, and we lost to Uconn in the final.

Cal has won one title here in six years, and it took arguably the greatest college basketball player in the modern era to do it, along with the number two pick in the draft, along with Terrance Jones who is quickly turning into one of the better players in all of the NBA. He's had more talent than anyone over the years and only one title. The final fours we have enjoyed have been great. Wouldn't trade them for anything. But Cal has been caught with this one and done thing and will need a new strategy. As always, just my opinion. Sorry for those of you who read this and think "damn, he's probably right". You will be the same ones that bash me.

I never use said term . I think this team although challenged in spots will OK . Some of our fans unfortunately will be hung up on the name on the back of the jersey opposed to the front

Sunshine pumpers are like groupies, they follow the team and the coach because it's cool.

^^Clueless

Sunshine pumpers comes from the sarcastic phrase "pumping sunshine up my ass". Basically meaning someone that sees & praises the bright side of an issue. It's just the other side of the coin to gloom and doom people that always see the worst scenario playing out.

Having a positive mental attitude has nothing to do with being a groupie or trying to be cool. In fact the "cool thing" around here seems to be whining.

Cut-nets - you are destined to be unhappy.

If you'll never get over 2014, what's the point of continuing to watch?

If we win another title, you'll just be disappointed that your prediction was wrong. You'll be sore that you can no longer trumpet K having more titles than Cal since he's been here.

Let it go, buddy.

I tend to express myself on the positive/optimistic side with our current state of basketball in the bluegrass....probably because I remember the alternative so well. With that being said, there's nothing wrong with concern and just criticism, just have to keep in check and base it in reality.

?...all UL and Pitino do is just keep winning (national title in 2013 while we were first round loss in the NIT), not to mention a few plays away from being in the final four just this past season...
I don't think Ill ever get over 3 straight shot clock violations against Wisconsin.

First, and honestly I don't mean this as an insult or an attack, because I don't care either way - but my guess is you're either fairly young or pretty unhappy. Because plenty just isn't good enough.

Let me ask you, what did you think of Joe B Hall's career at UK?

And for the record, it wasn't 3 straight violations - I keep seeing that phrasing used here.....

The biggest issue is attackers who are obviously clueless. (Cut-nets, would be one in this discussion).

There are sunshine pumpers, but it's hard to be one currently at UK. Record speaks for themselves. Chicken little is kind of annoying at this moment, but i guess when you don't have control of things. People do get a little nerve racking at times.

The critics are the worst. They someone materialized this notion that they know everything about college basketball as if they been in thick of things and actually ran college basketball. Yet they lack any capability and someone attacking the very coach that won us national title and is in hall of fame. That to me is clear definition of INSANITY.

It's one thing to criticize Tubby's last few years and Billy's nightmarish two year run. Don't see any logics behind criticizing last 6 years.

To me a sunshine pumper is a person who is always claiming something is much better than it actually is.
For example you had a lot on here who was hanging on our last two previous coaches sack and proclaiming just how wonderful of a job each one was doing and acted as though you couldn't do a better job or expect more.
You have those on here who can't look at the team and see the glaring holes or weaknesses that they have.

All you need to know about CUT-NETS is that he/she believes Cal doesn't watch tape. Never will believe he/she is really a UK fan.

The biggest issue is attackers who are obviously clueless. (Cut-nets, would be one in this discussion).

There are sunshine pumpers, but it's hard to be one currently at UK. Record speaks for themselves. Chicken little is kind of annoying at this moment, but i guess when you don't have control of things. People do get a little nerve racking at times.

The critics are the worst. They someone materialized this notion that they know everything about college basketball as if they been in thick of things and actually ran college basketball. Yet they lack any capability and someone attacking the very coach that won us national title and is in hall of fame. That to me is clear definition of INSANITY.

It's one thing to criticize Tubby's last few years and Billy's nightmarish two year run. Don't see any logics behind criticizing last 6 years.

My god you are butchering the king's english. I feel like I'm reading Mark Twain when I read your posts. Why do you struggle so much with when to use plural and singular nouns?

My god you are butchering the king's english. I feel like I'm reading Mark Twain when I read your posts. Why do you struggle so much with when to use plural and singular nouns?

I'd still rather read a post littered with errors than anything you post.

Last edited:
I'd still rather a post littered with errors than anything you post.

Its not so much that its littered with errors as it is he's typing his posts in dialect. Maybe when he speaks he doesn't know the proper use of plural and singular nouns and he's simply posting what he thinks is correct grammar.

Before you can be labeled a Sunshine Pumper, you must first drink from the Blue Kool-Aid fountain!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT