ADVERTISEMENT

Just a couple of thoughts on tonight's SEC road win

UKErik

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Not really sure I'm in much shape to put together many thoughts right now (hahaha)! My Woodford supply needs to be replenished. I'll try though;

*Stephen Johnson's long scramble led to my best vertical jump in about 25 years! That play essentially sealed the deal for the big blue!

*Benny Snell is just a tough dude! Not a flashy night. Lots of carries. I doubt he averaged anywhere close to 4.0 per carry. Whatever. UK had to of had the football for over 35 minutes. Give Snell a lot of credit for that.

*The defense. They were pretty damned outstanding after the first play of the game (seriously, could the first 6-7 minutes have been much worse?????). I still think UK is giving up too much in the short passing game, but through three games, the defense is keeping opponents off the scoreboard. They must be doing something right!

*In a week I thought special teams would go the opponents way, in steps Austin MacGinnis. Dude is one of the best in college football. Kickers played a HUGE role tonight!

*It's nice to see UK win on the road and not really play anything close to their "A" game. IMO anyway.

*Cats are now 4-1 in their last five true road games and 10-3 in their last 13 regular season games. Hopefully, some respect starts coming their way. People say you have to win to earn respect. Well, UK is winning.

GBB!!!

Good thoughts....

Agree on all of the positives, but a few more:

-Derek Baity. Enough said
-LB Play. Plugging holes, repeatedly stopping them on 3rd or 4th and short.
-UK crowd. Showed up in pretty good numbers.

A few "opportunities for improvement"

-Dline. Really didn't get much pressure on Qb tonight.
-2nd half playcalling. I thought we got a little bit vanilla a little too soon, but I'm not bitching tonight after the wonderful first half from Gran.

Great great win.

Good thoughts....

Agree on all of the positives, but a few more:

-Derek Baity. Enough said
-LB Play. Plugging holes, repeatedly stopping them on 3rd or 4th and short.
-UK crowd. Showed up in pretty good numbers.

A few "opportunities for improvement"

-Dline. Really didn't get much pressure on Qb tonight.
-2nd half playcalling. I thought we got a little bit vanilla a little too soon, but I'm not bitching tonight after the wonderful first half from Gran.

Great great win.

The great LB play is because of closing speed. I've never seen UK have this kind of team speed on Defense especially at the LB spots.

Cats are now 4-1 in their last five true road games and 10-3 in their last 13 regular season games. Hopefully, some respect starts coming their way. People say you have to win to earn respect. Well, UK is winning.
In a lot of ways, CFB pundits are all about name recognition. As long as these kids wear "KENTUCKY" across their chests, they won't get respect from the ESPN/SECN folks.

Of course, beating UF next week will go a long way. Then again, I'm sure your CFB pundit will write it off as UF being down this year.....

Excellent, Erik, and I could go along with you on replenishing that Woodfords, or any other quality bourbon, for that matter. What a night, what a game!!

We needed this one. Great effort. Our schedule looks a lot tougher now than before season. The MS schools and Vandy look like much tougher than expected games. Got to get the wins where we can. 7 or 8 wins will be a really solid season IMO.

Great game and I may stay up and see if it is replayed from BWO. So good to see UK have a 4 game in a row streak. I would love to see it happen that way to UF, UT and UL even all of the SEC, wow.

GBB

Reactions: UKErik
Great game and I may stay up and see if it is replayed from BWO. So good to see UK have a 4 game in a row streak. I would love to see it happen that way to UF, UT and UL even all of the SEC, wow.

GBB

The run defense has been unreal so far. UK will be top ten nationally after this week.

GBB!!!

Amazing, the one thing I was most worried about this year.

Since you seem to have been celebrating the win cafeful on the walk to your bed, the cops are everywhere. This one was well worth celebrating. Just imagine if we could beat Florida next week------and I'm thinking that we can, hope our injured are all ready to go, and we really need Jones back. Someone said mostly cramps but I didn't like the way they were carrying Levi off to the dressing room. We will need everyone next week, I wish Deebo hadn't got injured, I was hoping he could give us some help with our SEC east competition.

Very scary start to the game.

Of the 4 consecutive wins over SC, this was the most dominating yet. We played 60 minutes of the game. Never had a real let down after the first couple minutes. We were clearly the better team, better coached, and better prepared.
WAIT!!! Did you say better coached?
Get ready for an onslaught of negative Nancy's to tear you down and disagree with you. I can't believe the FARRRRRR STOOPS narrative hasn't begun yet because......
There doesn't need to be a because!!
Too many MORONS on here!!

Reactions: LNAllison
WAIT!!! Did you say better coached?
Get ready for an onslaught of negative Nancy's to tear you down and disagree with you. I can't believe the FARRRRRR STOOPS narrative hasn't begun yet because......
There doesn't need to be a because!!
Too many MORONS on here!!
I don't know if you listened to the post game call in show. But someone called on there and saying we were lucky, unprepared played to lose, have to have a killer instinct and go for it down at goal line. Need to throw it more blah blah

Matt jones was going really upset and the fan (who said he was at the game) was getting even more upset cause jones didn't agree with him. Then went on to say that last night proved we have even more holes than anyone is letting on to believe and our running backs are no good. No coaching about cost us the game.

Finally jones hung up on him and asked if he needed a psychologist number.

Maybe the call was planted, but it didn't sound like one of those.

Reactions: frost-1
Last night was the first game I've seen this year. I've lived 3 places since getting flooded out by Harvey, so haven't really had the time or access. I didn't know what to expect but wasn't optimistic. The national media has been playing up SC, and by what I've read, our first two games were less than stellar. I was really impressed with the composure of the team. Hostile environment and got punched in the mouth right out of the gate, but responded well. The thing that stands out to me the most is that a U.K. has SEC type depth. In years past, the types of injuries, graduation, transfers, etc. that we've had would have been impossible to recover from. Johnson is extremely cool under pressure and is a natural leader. Kicking game looks solid.

Reactions: fabcat
I don't know if you listened to the post game call in show. But someone called on there and saying we were lucky, unprepared played to lose, have to have a killer instinct and go for it down at goal line. Need to throw it more blah blah

Matt jones was going really upset and the fan (who said he was at the game) was getting even more upset cause jones didn't agree with him. Then went on to say that last night proved we have even more holes than anyone is letting on to believe and our running backs are no good. No coaching about cost us the game.

Finally jones hung up on him and asked if he needed a psychologist number.

Maybe the call was planted, but it didn't sound like one of those.
Probably just a despondent U of L fan.

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
2nd half playcalling. I thought we got a little bit vanilla a little too soon, but I'm not bitching tonight after the wonderful first half from Gran.

Totally agree. I feel like once we got control, the staff didnt feel threatened and wanted to be vanilla to keep from showing florida anything.

They never really threatened us. Big play was total lapse by West, biting on run fake. Second TD was perfectly thrown desparation throw that shouldve been easily defended had our dbs not fallen asleep.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
When you look at the tackle distribution, you see a lot of players making tackles and no one standing out as in year's past racking up double digit tackles. The team defense was really good, swarming to the ball, and keeping most of the extra yards in check. Boogie comes in for one of the biggest plays of the night and delivers. The team was resilient and played 60 minutes and completely diffused a tough environment. We beat a passing team without too many blitzes. Eli was solid in relief of Jordan. Special teams played well. Paschal played more because the Cocks were placed into more passing downs. He is hard for OLines to handle at a young age. He demands attention.

Offensively, we were sharp in our shorting passing game after the first two botched series. We did to them what our defensive forced them to do. Take the short and intermediate. We also did well, especially on our sustained drives, converting third downs. Johnson, Ross, Richardson and Walker, our experience, played well. We shared the ball to a lot of receivers, albeit for short routes. But, those were passes SJ struggled with last year. We saw all three TEs make important drive sustaining plays.

While I loved what King brought again in short relief (pun intended), I think we need someone to step up with more snaps at RB. The staff clearly does not yet trust Koback or Rose. And, I hope Bowden can get touches at WR. He made something out of nothing a couple of times.

Speaking of the offensive staff, they definitely are winning with only the parts of the playbook they need. That shows confidence. Winning is the key. Fans can get frustrated by the conservative nature of it, but getting the W and trusting your defense is a wild experience as a UK fan.

I have no delusions about USCjr's offense. It is not stellar. But, I don't think we have opened it all up yet on offense and I think we are bringing certain players on both sides of the ball along slowly. Good future stars. I like it.

Terrific defensive effort (boy it feels good to say that). Loved that we threw out of the Wildcat when they didn't cover Johnson ....even though he muffed the pass it will give opposing DC's something to think about. Concerned about the OL seemed to be getting banged up all night...hope nothing serious. Could nitpick the conservative play calling in the 2nd half, but Gran knew what he was doing and we got the W. With our style of play, it's nice to have a money kicker like Austin MaGinness.

I'm not buying all the conservative talk. Teams have an identity. Ours since the beginning of our 10-3 regular season run is being physical upfront running the football playing solid defense and special teams. It's been a recipe for success in football for years. It's not the sexy way to play, doesn't give highlight plays, but it wins football games. I didn't look at tonight's game as being conservitive and playing not to lose. I saw a team that imposed its will on another team. We can throw the ball when we need to and want to. Teams that have that type of balance are hard to defend for 60 mins. It also allows you to have long sustained drives and keeps the ball away from the other teams offense and your defense fresh.

Nothing more debilitating to an opposing team than having the ball ran on you and having 12, 11, 10, and 9 play drives with scores at the end. When it's not a TD we are pretty much guaranteed 3 because McGinnis is pretty much automatic. It's how you win in this league. We have longed for this type team for decades. We have it now so let's enjoy the ride. Can we play better? Absolutely, and that is what's so encouraging we will get better and gain more and more confidence.

Just imagine if we could beat Florida next week------and I'm thinking that we can, hope our injured are all ready to go, and we really need Jones back. Someone said mostly cramps but I didn't like the way they were carrying Eli off to the dressing room.

I guess you have never had cramps in both calves at the same time. Trust me, you can't walk on it. I'm not talking about having a Charlie horse in each one but where the whole calf muscle locks. I had it happen a couple of times playing soccer. You get them rubbed out on the field then walking back to the sideline, they both lock up again and then you have to be carried off the field.

You still not giving the defense credit, UK wants to give the short passes as long as they don't give up the big play. What they are doing is bringing pressure with 4.. with db's flying all over the place. This is a top 3 defense in the SEC, and it's gonna need to keep it up. If not for them we are 0-3.

Someone said mostly cramps but I didn't like the way they were carrying Levi off to the dressing room. We will need everyone next week, I wish Deebo hadn't got injured, I was hoping he could give us some help with our SEC east competition.
Eli. And he was back playing late in the game.

I also wish Deebo hadn't been injured. But less so than for Mosier & Baker.

Fabcat's post says it all," can we play better? Absolutely". That's where this program has longed to be for some time, winning games while not playing your best football. These kids are full of confidence now and they're competing that way. Love it.

Reactions: Wvvrn
Deebo was the key to their victories. Not sure how SC finds a winning identity without him. We have road victories over two 2-1 teams, I prefer for SC to win games now that we have taken care of business. Also, the kid is a real talent. As a college football fan, I love seeing top athletes perform. I hope his healing is quick and complete. He is clearly a tough kid who did not want to leave the game, even with a broken bone.

You still not giving the defense credit, UK wants to give the short passes as long as they don't give up the big play. What they are doing is bringing pressure with 4.. with db's flying all over the place. This is a top 3 defense in the SEC, and it's gonna need to keep it up. If not for them we are 0-3.
It's such an advantage to be able to get pressure with just the front four. Makes it so much harder on the QB when he has to account for an extra defender dropping back in coverage. House did a good job of disguising coverages by moving the DBs around pre snap. We still played with some cushion most of the game but made it harder to read. We didn't do that very much vs USM and EKU. Even though they did have some success moving the ball between the 20s they only had the one big play. That's exactly what the coaches are looking for, stingy red zone D and fundamental tackling. Make the opponent earn every single yard.

The big guys up front have improved a great deal on run D as well which gives us even more flexibility. We are legitimately one of the best teams in the country stuffing the run. Amazing considering what we looked like at times last year. I thought it was an overall masterful game plan by Stoops and House. One of the best D performances I've ever seen by UK.

I guess you have never had cramps in both calves at the same time. Trust me, you can't walk on it. I'm not talking about having a Charlie horse in each one but where the whole calf muscle locks. I had it happen a couple of times playing soccer. You get them rubbed out on the field then walking back to the sideline, they both lock up again and then you have to be carried off the field.

Nope, haven't had a lot of cramps, and one at a time was always enough for me.

Reactions: cat888
Eli. And he was back playing late in the game.

I also wish Deebo hadn't been injured. But less so than for Mosier & Baker.

Thanks thought he might have returned but wasn't sure. never saw a cramp you had to be carried off from but guess it happens..

Thanks thought he might have returned but wasn't sure. never saw a cramp you had to be carried off from but guess it happens..
Trainers were stretching BOTH calves on the sideline before they carried him off.

I thought Gran called his best game since the Louisville game a year ago. Did a good job of keeping the defense guessing. You could tell the offense was ready to go (besides the center and the confusing snap problems).

The defense looks like they've gotten a lot better at situational football. Austin MacGinnis continues to be an underrated weapon.

Going to find out a whole lot more about the team this week. Florida is on a different level than South Carolina when it comes to talent, speed and athleticism, IMO. Going to have to play a great game to end that streak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT