ADVERTISEMENT

Jones update on roster construction

Khalifa sucks. Please no.

We need to not be bashing anyone at this point. If Coach Pope wants him here, he's a take. Doesn't matter what we think. Even if most UK fans don't know about RR, I guarantee opposing coaches do and will use posts like this against us in recruiting.

We have to stop looking for immediate gratification if we're truly behind the roster building we called for under Cal but never got. Can't have it both ways.

Question. Why are we keeping some of our targets names quiet????? Someone explain that to me, thx
No idea? I mean the program should have more $ than ever to spend on players and they have a wide open roster....maybe for optics if turned down?

I think Coach Pope is going to find one thing out in selling UK--the "front of the jersey" comment means a lot more if you can pay them more than the other schools. We're in a different era and that comment appealed to the old school fans. What you need to have is a program where the players accept coaching and play to win-but these guys are mercenaries and it's still 1 and done-just differently packaged. So older players who demand a lot and want $/guarantees for playing time, etc.are not as bad to some fans because they are older? It's the same thing.

The Coach needs to make sure someone is coachable and cares about winning. That's it. From there, you have to appease to their branding/demands because you won't get a competitive roster if you think it's all about the school these days. Buy in from guys comes after you get them these days.

We need to not be bashing anyone at this point. If Coach Pope wants him here, he's a take. Doesn't matter what we think. Even if most UK fans don't know about RR, I guarantee opposing coaches do and will use posts like this against us in recruiting.

We have to stop looking for immediate gratification if we're truly behind the roster building we called for under Cal but never got. Can't have it both ways.
He's not a take. He's an overweight center who has no effort of hustle on the defensive side of the ball. Nobody said ''instant gratification''. The dude just simply isn't UK level.

Reactions: JonathanW
He's not a take. He's an overweight center who has no effort of hustle on the defensive side of the ball. Nobody said ''instant gratification''. The dude just simply isn't UK level.
If you can get him in shape and find a scheme around him then he isn’t terrible but there are for sure better options

All of that can be changed, if he's willing. I trust the coach knows better than we do about him. If he's a take for Coach Pope, it doesn't matter what you think about it.

Reactions: bluesundown
With regard to "Why are we keeping our targets names quiet?"

Hmm .... Why let anyone know?

1) So they can be shown message boards with shtty, blind takes and uninformed opinions about them?
2) So that other programs can try to keep us from getting who we want through other negative tactics?
3) So that their NIL value can be driven higher by mentioning UK in the mix for their services?
4) So that people posing as UK fans can harass them on insta and X?

Let me think about it for a minute and get back to you

No idea? I mean the program should have more $ than ever to spend on players and they have a wide open roster....maybe for optics if turned down?

I think Coach Pope is going to find one thing out in selling UK--the "front of the jersey" comment means a lot more if you can pay them more than the other schools. We're in a different era and that comment appealed to the old school fans. What you need to have is a program where the players accept coaching and play to win-but these guys are mercenaries and it's still 1 and done-just differently packaged. So older players who demand a lot and want $/guarantees for playing time, etc.are not as bad to some fans because they are older? It's the same thing.

The Coach needs to make sure someone is coachable and cares about winning. That's it. From there, you have to appease to their branding/demands because you won't get a competitive roster if you think it's all about the school these days. Buy in from guys comes after you get them these days.

Do you think the lack of NIL last few seasons hurt UK? Could it have cost us a knecht? Or a similar player that may have made UK more of a legit contender?

I respect your opinion so just curious.

100% agree with your post though. It's just window dressing for the fans mostly. They are all mercenaries and who can blame them? I'd get it if I could too.

Do you think the lack of NIL last few seasons hurt UK? Could it have cost us a knecht? Or a similar player that may have made UK more of a legit contender?

100% agree with your post though. It's just window dressing for the fans mostly. They are all mercenaries and who can blame them? I'd get it if I could too.
I think as much as we didn't care for Cal one thing he allowed UK to operate with was an NIL "discount". Players would come here knowing his track record of getting them to the next level so they'd be willing to take less to come play for him. That's not going to be the case for any coach other than if you landed one of the guys we all knew wouldn't come here.

Justin Edwards cost UK Knecht. So coaching decisions on roster hurt there more than NIL.

I believe Coach Pope's belief in the "Front of the Jersey" but these guys go anywhere for the most $/playing time and guarantees and it's just how it is. If you want to build the "Front of Jersey" culture you'll have a better chance in the future recruiting HS guys as core which he's up against this Spring. But the Portal? I mean that will make up majority of the '25 roster and they are mercenaries all the way.

No reason to respect my opinion, but I think Cal wanting to direct NIL where he wanted it and not where the donors wanted it is what kept us from having plenty of NIL money, just like being a dbag kept us from having upgrades to the Craft Center.

There IS a balance that MUST be struck going forward between NIL perceptions and the "front of the jersey" talk. We can say the latter all we want, but the culture of wanting to play for the people of the state and this program came naturally to people like Wall, Patterson, Towns, and the like once they arrived. You need the glue and passion guys, but you also need them to play well. You need the mercs and thus NIL, but you also need them to respect/desire what being here requires and brings with it.

I think Coach Pope expressed that well at the press conference, but it's another thing to implement and execute 24/7.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
The other thing no one has mentioned that I've seen is that 5 star players, in basketball as in football, want to play WITH and AGAINST other 5 star players in practice/on campus. The best and most complete players want to compete against the best as often as they can. They want to take the other opponents best shot and win anyway.

Very few want to do that alone, and very few want to play with someone that does.

No reason to respect my opinion, but I think Cal wanting to direct NIL where he wanted it and not where the donors wanted it is what kept us from having plenty of NIL money, just like being a dbag kept us from having upgrades to the Craft Center.

There IS a balance that MUST be struck going forward between NIL perceptions and the "front of the jersey" talk. We can say the latter all we want, but the culture of wanting to play for the people of the state and this program came naturally to people like Wall, Patterson, Towns, and the like once they arrived. You need the glue and passion guys, but you also need them to play well. You need the mercs and thus NIL, but you also need them to respect/desire what being here requires and brings with it.

I think Coach Pope expressed that well at the press conference, but it's another thing to implement and execute 24/7.
It's not an "either or" situation as some are saying. Guys in the nfl and nba become "franchise" figureheads. Yea Brady left NE but he was the face of that franchise for a decade. He took a little less money because he knew he'd make it up in endorsements by winning. Or Polamalu at Pittsburgh. That dude was loved by the city but he got paid a ton. Some guys will go to your arch enemy for an extra dollar but some guys want to win and just want to get a fair amount of money in the current market.

Pope seemed surprised at the audience reaction when Matt introduced himself sitting next to Drew. I'm not sure he's aware of how much of the BBN Jones and KSR reaches, but most likely picked up on it with that crowd response Sunday.

I'm also not sure Matt is going to immediately have an insider, but he needs to gain the trust of someone and nurture that trust so as to not alienate himself again.
With his arrogance, how could he alienate himself

It's not an "either or" situation as some are saying. Guys in the nfl and nba become "franchise" figureheads. Yea Brady left NE but he was the face of that franchise for a decade. He took a little less money because he knew he'd make it up in endorsements by winning. Or Polamalu at Pittsburgh. That dude was loved by the city but he got paid a ton. Some guys will go to your arch enemy for an extra dollar but some guys want to win and just want to get a fair amount of money in the current market.

? I'm not following what you're addressing in my post. I'm not talking about pro leagues but about high school and college athletes, and I clearly said there has to be a balance. Sorry. Maybe I'm too tired after a long day

Matt Jones is a liberal snowflake
What does that have to do with basketball? Do you think that only you can be right and everyone should believe that Dems drinks babies blood, has a pedophile ring in the basement of a 1 story pizza shop? Is it ok if I have progressive leanings of I don't have a radio show or do you forbid it? Try to explain the basketball side, instead of attacking his personal beliefs, unless you don't believe in free choice

Pope is a smart dude and I bet if he posted on the Rafters he’d be saying the same thing about the balance between invoking tradition and making sure checks clear.

The front of the jersey stuff is mostly for the fans and I’m ecstatic about that aspect. I also think that’s Pope’s biggest motivator and that’s genuine and not a sound bite. So many got tired of that aspect of Cal, maybe his worst aspect or at least the one that did him in finally. His lack of connection with the fans.

I disagree with any notion that there are no top end players who also would like to hear that pitch and who also take pride in winning for the tradition of Kentucky. For being part of something bigger than themselves. Those kids/young men do exist.

That’s the top level recruit target for Pope IMO. I think they’re rare but I think they exist. We get lucky every once in a while with a Darius Miller or a Reed Sheppard. We need to be proactive and actively look for that player and I think Pope will and he will be successful.

The biggest takeaway from the press conference to me was how much Pope kept referring to his 96 teammates and their bond. He also talked about how building a roster is like making a stew.

Pope can sell the UK tradition and I think he has the rare insight of being part of a team that achieved the ultimate of excellence in the program’s storied history. He can sell that too.

He knows what it looks like and I am rooting like hell for him to make it happen.

Pope is a smart dude and I bet if he posted on the Rafters he’d be saying the same thing about the balance between invoking tradition and making sure checks clear.

The front of the jersey stuff is mostly for the fans and I’m ecstatic about that aspect. I also think that’s Pope’s biggest motivator and that’s genuine and not a sound bite. So many got tired of that aspect of Cal, maybe his worst aspect or at least the one that did him in finally. His lack of connection with the fans.

I disagree with any notion that there are no top end players who also would like to hear that pitch and who also take pride in winning for the tradition of Kentucky. For being part of something bigger than themselves. Those kids/young men do exist.

That’s the top level recruit target for Pope IMO. I think they’re rare but I think they exist. We get lucky every once in a while with a Darius Miller or a Reed Sheppard. We need to be proactive and actively look for that player and I think Pope will and he will be successful.

The biggest takeaway from the press conference to me was how much Pope kept referring to his 96 teammates and their bond. He also talked about how building a roster is like making a stew.

Pope can sell the UK tradition and I think he has the rare insight of being part of a team that achieved the ultimate of excellence in the program’s storied history. He can sell that too.

He knows what it looks like and I am rooting like hell for him to make it happen.
I think another big thing he talked about was the guys holding each other accountable. Get work on, make sure your brothers are getting work in

Reactions: travisbickle
Most UK fans don’t even know Rupp’s Rafters exists, and MJ is on a boat load of small town radio stations.
True but they all listen or watch the games. Wilbon said UK has the most obnoxious fans. Be proud of that and wear it proudly.

With regard to "Why are we keeping our targets names quiet?"

Hmm .... Why let anyone know?

1) So they can be shown message boards with shtty, blind takes and uninformed opinions about them?
2) So that other programs can try to keep us from getting who we want through other negative tactics?
3) So that their NIL value can be driven higher by mentioning UK in the mix for their services?
4) So that people posing as UK fans can harass them on insta and X?

Let me think about it for a minute and get back to you
All very good points, and if those aren't the reasons, they should be!

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT