ADVERTISEMENT

Jones update on roster construction

Saw the same on ESPN. That is a bad year from a former McD AA. If his name was Andrej Smith from Idaho Falls, ID we would all be saying "thanks, but no thanks". Instead he is Peja's kid and gets a free pass. No idea what kind of offense Stanford ran, but no offense can hide 52.8 FT%. By comparison, from the stripe Shaq shot 52.8% in '91-2, 63.8% in 90-91, and 55.6% in 89-90 while at LSU. That said, he's a body and we need bodies with some upside potential!

Career Stats​

See All
STATS
2023-24

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Yeah, not very impressive at all. He played 22 at Stanford and would play a lot less here.

Reactions: TX-Wildcat
He's overweight so he doesn't have a lot of stamina. And he isn't built for race track hoops. But he's fantastic as a point/center. Just as good as it gets. And he's a decent defender and rebounder.

So, when people talk about his "weaknesses" that's code for his weight.

I don't know what a weight loss program would do. Some people are just big. And if he didn't have that size would he be able to take the time he does to survey the floor the way he does?

Khalifa is good, he's got one of the best BPM for big men in the portal and his assist rate is astronomical.

Yeah, I don't understand why we are recruiting him. Lots of much better shooters in the portal, why?

He more than "has his weaknesses", he is bad in almost every part of the game.
- at 270lb, he's slow and can't guard away from the rim (0.3 Stl/gm)
- at the rim, he only got 0.6 Blk/gm
- he is a bad rebounder (5.7 per30min)
- he is a bad FT shooter (62%)
- he is mediocre shooting 3's (31.5%, but was better the prior 2 years)
- he's not even good at 2pt shots (<50%, making him 38% overall)
- but he does get assists (THAT AIN'T ENOUGH)
I could "know the system", but I would have no business being on the court

If he wants to come be 10th-13th man, sure no harm in that. But I don't want him being expected to be a contributor, or be the reason we don't add a 2nd C to the team.

Khalifa is BAD. Bad at every aspect of the game except assists. How is it possible to be such a bad rebounder at 6'11 & 270 (5.7 reb per30min), more assists than rebounds
If Khalifa comes here as a backup center….. I think that is great. I think we need 2-3 guys from BYU as back ups just to get the system up and running quicker.

Now, if Khalifa and others from BYU are starters……. well, gonna be a tough start.

All I know know is not to put much stock in reports….. lots of crap flying around in search of walls to land on and the portal entries don’t end until May 1…….. long ass way to go.

Reactions: IbnSaran
Based on the ovation he received at the press conference he is liked a whole lot more by the general public than he is by the people posting on Rafters. I don't listen to him, but find it comical how much he lives in people's heads on here.
Most UK fans don’t even know Rupp’s Rafters exists, and MJ is on a boat load of small town radio stations.

He's overweight so he doesn't have a lot of stamina. And he isn't built for race track hoops. But he's fantastic as a point/center. Just as good as it gets. And he's a decent defender and rebounder.

I don't know what a weight loss program would do. Some people are just big. And if he didn't have that size would he be able to take the time he does to survey the floor the way he does?
Pretty sure he had knee issues that limited conditioning. He delayed surgery till after the season to help BYU. At least that is what I read.

What would you all think about either of the two bigs from UT, Aidoo and Otawa? They could come along with Amari Williams. We need bigs.

Why Z would have been PERFECT for this offense.

Khalifa had 60 TS% during his last season at Charlotte. Sure, the defending is better in the B12, but that’s not enough to explain his dismal shooting last season. Perhaps he had an injury or some other issue hindering his ability.

Is coach MP contacting all these guys since we don’t have a staff yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT