ADVERTISEMENT

Jones on KSR today: confirms report that Arkansas is willing to double whatever UK offers recruits

Calipari is one of the best recruiters of all time. Probably top 5 at minimum, maybe top 2. He can convince a lot of people of a lot of things, just look at how he managed to get UK fans to ignore losing for a long time and not just that, convinced some that the players goals outweighed the need of the program to win, I used to be amazed when I'd log on and actually see UK fans roll with this pitch, lol

He can convince people of anything. It isn't until he burns his road after years that people wake up and that's where many are now within the fan base. So yea, he can convince these players to commit to a log jam, he did it here during the platoon years.

I will say though, Arkansas is not a major brand and I think many are going to be surprised at how much programs actually matter. Kentucky has a massive brand that sells on its own, and it matters because of the following and connection to the brand that players carry with them when they leave. You're never going to dismiss that aspect. Players still want to play for Kentucky over a program like Arkansas at the end of the day. They're having to create rumors about overpaying and outbidding BECAUSE of the impact of Kentucky's brand. Cal didn't worry about Arkansas when he was at UK, he's worried about UK when he's at Arkansas.
Well said UKBloke. That last sentence speaks volumes...

"Cal didn't worry about Arkansas when he was at UK, he's worried about UK when he's at Arkansas."

It's absolutely true and the proof is for all to see. How many times did you hear Cal talk about Memphis when he came to Kentucky? Almost zero. He took Memphis' entire recruiting class and added 2 or 3 more that Memphis couldn't get in a very short amount of time. And how often did he directly mention Memphis? Almost never. He may have mentioned about appreciating his time at Memphis but he never had to worry much at all, if at all, about recruiting against Memphis. But we've heard about UK from Cal OFTEN since he arrived in Arkansas. In fact, it feels like he's talked more about UK than Arkansas. Getting guys to go to Fayetteville is just not even in the same category. Program does matter, even to these young recruits. They know the UK name alone can make you famous, or infamous. Arkansas can't begin to compete with that, not even with Calipari coaching and recruiting.

Apparently need to get Jerry Jones and company to sign a blood oath on video for the skeptics to fully believe it (even though it’s been reported by numerous outlets and MJ was merely saying he could verify it from the angle of a UK perspective).

Carr & Williams would work, but I don’t know how to fit osobor into all this
Williams and Osobor would work great with 3 shooters. Both are beasts on the boards and great rim protectors. Also, both are good passers so it's going to be hard to double either one and both finish at a very high rate when they get the ball near the rim. It's really tough to guard either one on one in the post and nobody is backing down either one on the other end.

Would you like to go on twitter and look back a week on matt Norlander's twitter ? LOL if you think Jones or Cal would say that out loud because its a ncaa violation
Oh so they told Matt Norlander that their negotiating tactic is to double NIL offers that Kentucky gives out that they have no way of verifying? Billionaire businessmen Well that makes sense. Too bad they don’t have that same energy in football and brought in a class ranked just ahead of Vandy.

Apparently need to get Jerry Jones and company to sign a blood oath on video for the skeptics to fully believe it (even though it’s been reported by numerous outlets and MJ was merely saying he could verify it from the angle of a UK perspective).

I'll do one easier. Show where Jerry Jones has ever helped Arkansas athletics, or show where players are leaving their commitments to get double the payout, or simply explain why guys that have never cared about the entire Arkansas University are suddenly going to throw tons of money for basketball recruits.

This is about agents trying to dictate the market for this moving forward. It's fairly easy to understand from a PR and marketing perspective. What you seem to be suggesting is Jerry Jones and Walmart suddenly care about Arkansas basketball to the point where they're willing to throw money away for no reason because a 65 year old John Caliari who was ran out of Kentucky for losing is now on campus. It's ridiculous. It would be football first and foremost and they are not big competitors on the national football scene. Kentucky is a top NIL program because our boosters actually care about the basketball program. I don't care how many billionaire boosters you have, they have to care first. But UK is not desperate and we have have a premier brand that comes with the money we'll spend. We have no reason to throw unnecessary money at recruits. If they sdon't get it, we'll send them somewhere else, and many times over that will not be Arkansas they go to.

And that's not even getting into all of the reasons Calipari himself would not want to set this kind of precedent moving forward. The guy didn't leave UK because he was losing control to go to Arkansas and hand it away. I don't think people fully understand what something like that would mean for Arkansas recruiting negotiations moving forward. They would be forced to overpay for every single recruit, because they don't have the brand to attract them. Not happening.

He only took Dodson and Cousins. Wall and Bledsoe committed almost two months after Calipari was hired at UK. Orton and Hood were already committed too.
If memory serves, Wall and Bledsoe were going to Calipari even at Memphis- hadn't signed YET but were likely on the way. I could be wrong but I know this- they weren't coming to UK if Calipari had not become the UK coach. They definitely weren't coming for Gillispie. Orton and Hood were, yes.

It blows my mind the level of pettiness from Cal toward a program that didn’t do anything to him except overpay his worth for the last several years. Also seems like a foolish use of money by Arkansas donors, but it’s theirs to light on fire. Enjoy the mercenaries, I suppose. I’m sure they’ll play hard and for the greater good of the team…
It's only one donor. That would be his twin whole Jerry Jones.

I really don't get the ones defending Calipari like he's a saint or something. He bent and even broke the rules when the NCAA had some back in the day. He's flirted with pretty much whatever shenanigans were necessary to sign players while at UK. Do you really think he's above this? There's nothing illegal about what's being said here- paying double for recruits to get them from UK and it's being said by Jerry Jones, not Cal. Why defend Cal on this?

And hey, I know there is a lot of negativity among UK fans over Matt Jones. We all know he's just a fan boy who hit the lottery here. He's no expert or insider. In the last years of Calipari, he had no connections at all because he was pretty much banished for being "too negative" about Cal and program. It seems he's returning to having "some" connections with Pope as the coach, but that remains to be seen. But I do know this- the hate for this man is real. It kinda cracks me up. Who cares? I mean, seriously, if he's wrong, who cares? Others have posted this same story, Matt Jones is just the latest to say it. Has he done something to hurt UK or UK fans that I missed? Or is this really just the same kind of pettiness that Jones and Calipari are being accused of here?

So, shoot me now, I guess, but I don't mind Matt Jones. I don't think of him as some great reporter or an insider. I just think of him as a UK fan-boy who likes to talk about my favorite sports topic and gets paid to do so. I often listen to him just to hear about UK, right or wrong, the same way I would read your messages here or listen to your comments if we had a conversation about UK. I wouldn't call it "life-changing" but just some fun and a pass-time. And occasionally the blind squirrel finds a nut. But why the jealous anger? I must be missing something.
All I know about the guy is what I read on this board but the hate seems to have nothing to do with sports.

If memory serves, Wall and Bledsoe were going to Calipari even at Memphis- hadn't signed YET but were likely on the way. I could be wrong but I know this- they weren't coming to UK if Calipari had not become the UK coach. They definitely weren't coming for Gillispie. Orton and Hood were, yes.
I thought Bledsoe was leaning Kentucky before Cal was hired? Seems I remember the question being posed would he still come to kentucky if Cal brought Wall with him?

I am with the majority I guess here in that I believe Jerry Jones said this but I won't believe he'll
actually write the checks until he actually does it. And even if he does it isn't going to be for
13 players, maybe one or two. Pope and UK aren't going to starve.

It’s a great town, corporate headquarters for Tyson and Wal Mart, obviously the university, it’s a really pretty place with a lot of money, it’s what you would expect.
Thanks for the education on Fayetteville JAPierce. I don't really care, but I'm glad you think highly of it. You should if it's your hometown or the hometown of your favorite university. So, my reaction may seem salty to you but it's not about jealousy at all. It's really just a laugh. I'm simply trying to make a point that recruits and players don't think of Fayetteville when someone asks about the top men's basketball programs. They just don't. Now, you may be hoping Calipari puts Arkansas back on the map. You haven't been on the map in nearly 30 years. So, YOU may know about Fayetteville but if you expect a non-Arkansas-born recruit to know about Fayetteville, you're gonna have to start with a map. Then you can mention chicken nuggets and Sam Walton. Maybe that will work, but it's unlikely. Calipari is now your biggest sales pitch, and that is mainly because of Kentucky. But his pitch won't begin with "Come to Fayetteville!" Getting elite recruits to Fayetteville because it's a great town isn't gonna move the needle. If that's the first time you're hearing that, I don't know what to tell you. I grew up in a tiny, little town in West Tennessee, so I love small towns, but it's no mecca of college hoops. That's found in Lexington.

I am with the majority I guess here in that I believe Jerry Jones said this but I won't believe he'll
actually write the checks until he actually does it. And even if he does it isn't going to be for
13 players, maybe one or two. Pope and UK aren't going to starve.
Yeah, there is something to it, no doubt about it. For anyone who doubts it, just do a google search for "Jerry Jones offers double for UK recruits" and you'll get 2 full pages of articles. Matt Jones said this today, but those hits on articles come from 6 days ago and more recent, not Matt Jones. So, at the very least Matt Jones is just referring to things others have mentioned. He didn't just invent that idea out of thin air.

"Others" didn't mention it. 1 person said it. On Twitter, not even in an actual media edited article.

And every "article" you Google now just cites that 1 social media claim, with zero fact checking or confirmation of other sources.

Welcome to the #FakeNews journalism cycle of modern media. "This guy said this! I'm not reporting they are eight, I'm just repeating what they said!"

Those are all from the SAME source. They are different articles. From different outlets. All the same source.

All are quoting Trilly Donovan. That is also Matt's "source" aka the open internet.

So one source (Trilly) says it, and then 10 sources write about what Trilly says, and now you claim multiple sources????

Reactions: JHB4UK and UKBloke
Yeah, there is something to it, no doubt about it. For anyone who doubts it, just do a google search for "Jerry Jones offers double for UK recruits" and you'll get 2 full pages of articles. Matt Jones said this today, but those hits on articles come from 6 days ago and more recent, not Matt Jones. So, at the very least Matt Jones is just referring to things others have mentioned. He didn't just invent that idea out of thin air.
Yes, 2 pages of articles. All quoting the same source. So two pages of articles all from what one person "Trilly" said.

These are not all different sources, just one guy being quoted by a bunch of lazy or AI journalists.

Read through them and see their "source". It's always Trilly

Reactions: JHB4UK and UKBloke
Nobody here using common sense. They may over pay for a few guys but it will end quickly, nobody with a substantial amount of money is going to spend 10-20 million on a college basketball roster just so the one in Lexington doesn't have exactly the players they wanted. And even if it was somewhat true and it happens for a few guys it will quickly end once the results on the court aren't what they wanted.

You nailed it.

A bullshit report that anyone with a brain could see through in ten seconds.

First, even if Arkansas had a billion dollars in NIL they can only sign 13 players -- and that includes by the time all is worked through probably half a dozen Cal had made commitments to at Kentucky and a couple recruits. So, they don't even have room to block more than a couple potential recruits to Kentucky, even if they had unlimited resources.

Second, the two programs aren't even going in the same direction or after many of the same players. Why would Arkansas just sign anyone Kentucky was after -- to DOUBLE THE NIL -- just to keep that player out of Lexington? Very quickly, Arkansas would be out of scholarships.

Third, Why is there now all this mythical money in Arkansas? Why didn't they sign all the top recruits last year? Suddenly, after paying an enormous amount to add Calipari the program has all this surplus money that was never there before?

This is propaganda being put out by people in Arkansas that a nitwit like Matt Jones either believes or is willing to repeat to keep people going to his site.
You still don't want to admit that the guy you spent the last couple of years worshipping is a slimy turd.
Keep doubling down. I have no doubt that for what we feel are the most important pieces for our team, Arkansas is doing exactly what the reports said.

It blows my mind the level of pettiness from Cal toward a program that didn’t do anything to him except overpay his worth for the last several years. Also seems like a foolish use of money by Arkansas donors, but it’s theirs to light on fire. Enjoy the mercenaries, I suppose. I’m sure they’ll play hard and for the greater good of the team…
For my older brothers remember the cartoon Road Runner and Wile E Coyote was fixated on destroying the RR but he kept destroying himself. Ive said it before Karma will get SQUID CALAMARI eventually and he is literally Wile E Coyote here. He might have a good little run there but he exposed eventually and he will fail, book it

Reactions: UKBloke
I don't doubt some people at Ark are saying this and people are repeating it but it's not true as a fact. For one... we could just offer every player we had committed over $1million and now Ark has to pay around $10 just for recruits. Throw in a few Transfers and Ark would be looking at $15 million/year just to form a team. Now they aren't winning the SEC or Ncaa so are Ark fans fine with spending that much money to have former players drafted? LOL Because that wasn't enough for us.

Let’s offer all of Arky’s top targets 8 mil apiece and just slow play them if they try to accept. See how long that double up promise lasts.

Reactions: hmt5000
Salty? Ok. Nope, I've never been to Fayetteville. I don't know of anyone who isn't a fan of the University of Arkansas (or maybe being forced to go there to support a team playing AGAINST Arkansas) who HAS been to Fayetteville. Who goes to Fayetteville on purpose? Well, the only people who go to Fayetteville MUST go there on purpose, because you certainly wouldn't go there otherwise. I grew up in West Tennessee and went to school in Ft Worth, TX back in the late 90s and I drove back and forth through Arkansas for 2.5 years and I never even came close to going to Fayetteville on those trips. I went through Little Rock about a dozen times but never got within 150 miles of Fayetteville. The closest I ever came to being in Fayetteville was one time when I went to the Passion Play at Eureka Springs, AR, and even then I didn't know how close we were to Fayetteville, or anything else in Arkansas since it was in the middle of nowhere. Someone said we were about 45 miles from Fayetteville sometime later. I had no idea. I know it has a population under 100,000 people and is the home of the University of Arkansas. That's about it. Maybe you could educate me so I don't sound so salty. :D
If I was a mod I wouldn't let somebody call me salty, that's for sure!

:)

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat
That tells you how lame Fayetteville is that it would take that. Apparently Cal isn't gonna attract top players there without cold, hard cash.

Reactions: Imafan4evr_
Looks to me like that strategy is much likes Cal's coaching, sounds good but it don't work!!

Garrison visits Fayetteville, doesn’t visit Lexington… still picks UK. Maybe those heavy-hitting boosters need to pony up more like quadruple what we offer to swing a few that direction.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Bullspit rumor that failed even the slightest logical thought. Jerry J hasn't funded Arkansas NIL in the sport he played & has lived in for 40 yrs, football. Oh but he's gonna break his bank for basketball, for 65 yo washed up ex-Kentucky coach running from being fired?

Any fan who believed this wad really really dumb. Or believe the clickbait wrestling owner. He don't care about reporting truth or facts kids, he spews what drives anger and rage.

Know what you pour into your ears and eyes from KSR

• Love
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Its the HOGs only shot to compete. As soon as they got Cal they knew they had to start doubling up to have a chance. Part of the deal with the devil was that they also had to buy enough talent to overcome the coaching disadvantage.

Well said UKBloke. That last sentence speaks volumes...

"Cal didn't worry about Arkansas when he was at UK, he's worried about UK when he's at Arkansas."

It's absolutely true and the proof is for all to see. How many times did you hear Cal talk about Memphis when he came to Kentucky? Almost zero. He took Memphis' entire recruiting class and added 2 or 3 more that Memphis couldn't get in a very short amount of time. And how often did he directly mention Memphis? Almost never. He may have mentioned about appreciating his time at Memphis but he never had to worry much at all, if at all, about recruiting against Memphis. But we've heard about UK from Cal OFTEN since he arrived in Arkansas. In fact, it feels like he's talked more about UK than Arkansas. Getting guys to go to Fayetteville is just not even in the same category. Program does matter, even to these young recruits. They know the UK name alone can make you famous, or infamous. Arkansas can't begin to compete with that, not even with Calipari coaching and recruiting.
Calipari is worried because of made up rumors y’all believe? Y’all even accused him of putting out fake Garrison news to make it look like they won a head to head battle. It clearly wasn’t fake and he clearly didn’t put it out.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Bullspit rumor that failed even the slightest logical thought. Jerry J hasn't funded Arkansas NIL in the sport he played & has lived in for 40 yrs, football. Oh but he's gonna break his bank for basketball, for 65 yo washed up ex-Kentucky coach running from being fired?

Any fan who believed this wad really really dumb. Or believe the clickbait wrestling owner. He don't care about reporting truth or facts kids, he spews what drives anger and rage.

Know what you pour into your ears and eyes from KSR
He's in some "dick off" with Calipari and it's ****ing weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT