ADVERTISEMENT

Jones on KSR today: confirms report that Arkansas is willing to double whatever UK offers recruits

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer couldn't stand Jones breathing down their neck. Cal needs to worry about Jones micromanaging because it's coming!

Reactions: Fox2monk
Well they can only do it 13 times. Probably less than that because after Cal has five prized freshmen anyone after that knows he will play limited minutes.
If true it is a PR nightmare and I woukd think the powers that be in the NCAA office would be furious that Jones was showing the worst scenario for NIL .

Reactions: Girthang
I think Carr pairs nicely with both players. Just think you get 80 minutes to split at the 4 and 5. Williams only played 23 MPG last year at Drexel and Pope subs more than Cal. If you lock Williams in for under 30 MPG and probably closer to 25 or so, there are a lot of minutes still left for multiple other guys. Carr can space the floor on offense with either guy who will play closer to the basket. On D he provides length next to Osobor who is not the tallest guy in the world.

Was the report on Carr encouraging for him coming?
Just said Carr, brea, and osobor are the staffs focus right now, and that some visits for players got cancelled this week, or moved to next week

Did you answer the questions?

Did you notice that Matt had no clue about Cal leaving and no clue about Pope coming?

Besides Ryan saying walkons are dominating Ugo and making inappropriate comments at a Chinese restaurant what does KSR do exactly.
I am not a Jones apologist. I seldom listen anymore. Has nothing to do with him. I just get tired of every thread that he is mentioned in becoming about him and not the topic at hand.

-How often has Matt been right about stuff?

-Have you ever felt or seen evidence of Matt and KSR completely making stuff up?

-He has no UK connection to get him info so how would he have an Arkansas connection?

-He is a media member. How do you feel about media members at large? A lot of trust there?

-Is it in Matt's benefit to lie to get attention and rile up his listener base?

This has been reported by many sources besides Matt Jones. For example:

Are they ALL just making it up?

Last edited:
Every time I try and give Matt Jones a chance he does does something like this rendering my attempt futile.

I hate to break this to many of you, or maybe I'm glad to be able to have the honor, but Jones is totally outing himself here and I'm surprised at how many aren't able to see it. I've been one of Calipari's biggest critics for years now and even I cannot ignore the problems with this nonsense from Matt Jones.

Calipari will not allow a player to swindle him financially. He's never been a guy who would allow a player to fleece him like that and because Calipari is a control freak there's no way any of this is true. He would be relin

Cal isn't so tight with OTHER PEOPLE'S money as he might be with his own. If he was at that level of integrity and concerned about doing the right thing by people, he'd have put up some of his own money for...well... anything, but we'd definitely have some longer March marches, a newly upgraded practice facility, and A LOT more titles to show for all the top level classes he helped bring to UK.

We don't and he didn't. If it's not his money, he DGAF

No smart business person is willing to blindly double anything. Arkansas would never lose a recruit and they’ve lost several so far. Also Arkansas football wouldn’t be ass year after year with recruiting classes generally ranked lower than UK’s.

I’m gonna apply common sense here and ignore the tough talk.
Good point. Foe example:
If Jerry Jones really poured dollars into the program they, not Alabama and Georgia might be the talk of the town.

Cal isn't so tight with OTHER PEOPLE'S money as he might be with his own. If he was at that level of integrity and concerned about doing the right thing by people, he'd have put up some of his own money for...well... anything, but we'd definitely have some longer March marches, a newly upgraded practice facility, and A LOT more titles to show for all the top level classes he helped bring to UK.

We don't and he didn't. If it's not his money, he DGAF

I accidentally hit submit, go back if you have the time and read the entire post. Calipari would never allow players to fleece him like that. He would lose all control of the program and the player. If you have a minute read the rest of the edited post. It's fairly easy to see this is not how Calipari operates.

Yep, UK90, this is what I was thinking when I read it. We've been hearing this about "doubling whatever UK offers" for nearly a week now. Matt Jones wasn't the first to report it. He's just the most recent. Athlon and SI aren't fly-by-nights, either. I don't doubt that Jerry Jones has been making this pitch for Arkansas. Why? Because Jerry Jones loves the attention. Will he actually pay "double" for a recruit? Doubtful. But did he say it? I'm sure he did.

It blows my mind the level of pettiness from Cal toward a program that didn’t do anything to him except overpay his worth for the last several years. Also seems like a foolish use of money by Arkansas donors, but it’s theirs to light on fire. Enjoy the mercenaries, I suppose. I’m sure they’ll play hard and for the greater good of the team…
Has he been right on anything during this process? No flame but this just isn’t accurate information. Not saying we wouldn’t pay more for somebody we want but this is a BS rumor.

I accidentally hit submit, go back if you have the time and read the entire post. Calipari would never allow players to fleece him like that. He would lose all control of the program and the player. If you have a minute read the rest of the edited post. It's fairly easy to see this is not how Calipari operates.

Thank you. I'm good. Cal hasn't got much control of anything except his job, for now. I stand by my comments. I do agree that fleecers hate being fleeced more than anyone, but that's why he's using OPM.

Ask the recruits why they think Cal left since clearly Kentucky is a better school then tell them if they want to take double to go play for a washed up coach who sucks go get your bag, if you want to be pushed at the biggest stage in college basketball and still get well compensated come on down to Lexington.

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer couldn't stand Jones breathing down their neck. Cal needs to worry about Jones micromanaging because it's coming!

2 micro-managers battling it out- JJ & CCC ... should be good reality TV. Maybe have a MMA cage match for the final episode 2-3 years from now

• Haha
Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
Who cares what MethArky is doing? If they want to over-pay to be slightly relevant in the college basketball world for a few years, so be it. Cal has a small window and Arky wants some immediate ROI. What they are doing is not good for the future market, but it might work for a short period of time.

They are in the same spot we are in, needing to build a roster ASAP. If they are directly targeting us, that is partially because they consider us their biggest competition at the moment (which we kind of are in terms of current roster needs, expectations, and dollars available). We should honestly be flattered.

They might assemble a sexier and/or better squad for next season, but long-term we know the Razorbacks will always be a "mid" program. Pope is working to add to the Wildcat legacy (while also building his) and it will take some time to get there. We will always be a blue-blood and will be better off than Arky (and most schools) in the long run.

I thank Cal for his service, but am sure glad we have new leadership that is not a hired gun rental. Best of luck to Arky, as if they are better the SEC is better. However, let's not worry about what they do and focus on getting players that for a reasonable rate are willing to be part of a team and a legacy. Dollars will lead from here on out, but when the dollars end up being the same one day we at least have a name across our chest that means something.

I'm not surprised. Petty is a good way to describe it. But here's the problem for Calipari and Arkansas- they're in Fayetteville not Lexington. They have no tradition. They have 1 title. Quick! Name a men's basketball powerhouse! And how long before you get to Arkansas? Seriously, I would say "no offense" but I'm not really bothered by offending them right now. If you want to be the big dog, you've got a LONG way to go, and I hate to say it (no, I don't, really) but Calipari won't be able to get you there. Even IF he can win a 2nd title for Arkansas, the journey is long to get there. Why would Calipari offer to pay recruits DOUBLE what UK is paying for NIL? Because he MUST. He's in Fayetteville now. Even Memphis was bigger and better.

Psst... hey Cal, just don't let them come visit. Make them come sight unseen! Maybe you can lie your way into making Fayetteville sound good. 🤣
You ever been to Fayetteville? This is a silly post, and makes you sound salty.

Yep, UK90, this is what I was thinking when I read it. We've been hearing this about "doubling whatever UK offers" for nearly a week now. Matt Jones wasn't the first to report it. He's just the most recent. Athlon and SI aren't fly-by-nights, either. I don't doubt that Jerry Jones has been making this pitch for Arkansas. Why? Because Jerry Jones loves the attention. Will he actually pay "double" for a recruit? Doubtful. But did he say it? I'm sure he did.

Maybe I'm being a little tough on Jones because it has been reported but, I still think he's doing it to drive traffic. Jones knows Calipari well, this isn't close to his style. You guys have seen Cal in action for years too, if you think about it it's just not something calipari would do. It makes him look desperate and not in control, and allows too many the upper hand and gives power away. Cal isn't doing it to begin with, he will try and do this his way because that's how he is. hell, just look up why aren't they landing tons of the best transfers right now? Why haven't we seen the top 5 in the class open recruitment and roll to Arkasnas? Cal is still getting the same types of players that he did at UK. He's not changed a thing. Also, brand really matters to these players and Ark doesn't have the brand. I don't even think he'll be able to get the same classes he did at UK EVEN IF they paid a little more.

It doesn't take much logical thinking to see what this is.

The giveaway here is like I said, Akransas football would be killing it if any of this were true. Fayetteville likes both sports because it's really all they have, but it's 100% football first. The football side would never allow basketball to just throw cash around like that and not have their own guarantees. But, all we're hearing is rumors about basketball. That's because it's all it -is BS rumors to make Arkasnas look like major player. The idea that Calipari is going to sit around getting fleeced by players and the boosters are totally cool throwing money away because Calipari is there now is a bizarre thing to believe imo.

1. Cal is a petty POS narcissist and always has been.
2. We all knew the above, we just tolerated it when he was winning games.
3. Several shots were taken at Cal, without using his name, at Pope's presser. You know it, too.
4. If you thought Cal wasn't going to respond, you're more naive than a preschool class asking about politics.

Maybe I'm being a little tough on Jones because it has been reported but, I still think he's doing it to drive traffic. Jones knows Calipari well, this isn't close to his style. You guys have seen Cal in action for years too, if you think about it it's just not something calipari would do. It makes him look desperate and not in control, and allows too many the upper hand and gives power away. Cal isn't doing it to begin with, he will try and do this his way because that's how he is. hell, just look up why aren't they landing tons of the best transfers right now? Why haven't we seen the top 5 in the class open recruitment and roll to Arkasnas? Cal is still getting the same types of players that he did at UK. He's not changed a thing. Also, brand really matters to these players and Ark doesn't have the brand. I don't even think he'll be able to get the same classes he did at UK EVEN IF they paid a little more.

It doesn't take much logical thinking to see what this is.

The giveaway here is like I said, Akransas football would be killing it if any of this were true. Fayetteville likes both sports because it's really all they have, but it's 100% football first. The football side would never allow basketball to just throw cash around like that and not have their own guarantees. But, all we're hearing is rumors about basketball. That's because it's all it, is BS rumors to make Arkasnas look like a ,major player.
Why do you keep changing names? Seems pretty obvious that this newest UKBloke name (which you just created about 35 minutes ago) is not the first you’ve used in this thread.

I can’t take seriously the posts of anyone who plays those silly trolling games.

You guys know he doesn’t own the KSR website anymore?. Why would he care about website traffic lol. You guys are funny

I feel like this is also a shot at the admin for UK.

Like Cal saying listen part of the reason I bolted to Arkansas was they can play the game better than you in terms of NIL and we are going to show you it.

But yeah a coach's philosophy will only work when the results are there to support it. If Cal fails in his first few years of Arkansas, you can bet they won't be throwing around NIL money as much anymore.

Then again, one would also have to consider that he might succeed by doing this. Time will tell.

I really don't get the ones defending Calipari like he's a saint or something. He bent and even broke the rules when the NCAA had some back in the day. He's flirted with pretty much whatever shenanigans were necessary to sign players while at UK. Do you really think he's above this? There's nothing illegal about what's being said here- paying double for recruits to get them from UK and it's being said by Jerry Jones, not Cal. Why defend Cal on this?

And hey, I know there is a lot of negativity among UK fans over Matt Jones. We all know he's just a fan boy who hit the lottery here. He's no expert or insider. In the last years of Calipari, he had no connections at all because he was pretty much banished for being "too negative" about Cal and program. It seems he's returning to having "some" connections with Pope as the coach, but that remains to be seen. But I do know this- the hate for this man is real. It kinda cracks me up. Who cares? I mean, seriously, if he's wrong, who cares? Others have posted this same story, Matt Jones is just the latest to say it. Has he done something to hurt UK or UK fans that I missed? Or is this really just the same kind of pettiness that Jones and Calipari are being accused of here?

So, shoot me now, I guess, but I don't mind Matt Jones. I don't think of him as some great reporter or an insider. I just think of him as a UK fan-boy who likes to talk about my favorite sports topic and gets paid to do so. I often listen to him just to hear about UK, right or wrong, the same way I would read your messages here or listen to your comments if we had a conversation about UK. I wouldn't call it "life-changing" but just some fun and a pass-time. And occasionally the blind squirrel finds a nut. But why the jealous anger? I must be missing something.

Why do you keep changing names? Seems pretty obvious that this newest UKBloke name (which you just created about 35 minutes ago) is not the first you’ve used in this thread.

I can’t take seriously the post of anyone who plays those silly trolling games.

Who else am I in the thread? Seems you are making observations that do not exist. I have used one handle in this entire thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT