ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Sumrall Watch

They just smacked USF in the mouth 45-10. Larger margin of victory than Bama beat USF and same margin of victory that Miami beat USF.

Reactions: The-Hack
We already have two great DCs on staff who can hang with the big boys, well 3 if you count CMS who was once a very good rising DC worthy of a P5 gig.

Don't think this job is going to open, if it did Brad White is probably leader in the clubhouse, he'd promote Collins if Stoops didn't take one or both of them to wherever.

Summerall's star rising most likely isn't going to match up with this gig opening. He's going to have plenty of suitors over the next few years.

Both Summerall and White will be getting some inquires, maybe feven from SEC programs. Hell, wouldn't be an offseason if Stoops didn't get a look or two as well.

Will be very interesting to see how things shake out this off season. The carousel is often some of the best entertainment in sports. Very fun to watch who goes where and how that affects programs, conferences, the landscape in general.

The carousel is often some of the best entertainment in sports. Very fun to watch who goes where and how that affects programs, conferences, the landscape in general.

The main cog that will turn the wheel affecting UK is Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. He was an assistant coach when Mark Stoops played there. I think Stoops would like to have that job, and that they would want him.

Ferentz is now 69 years old. I would not be surprised if he hits 70 and calls it quits.

The main cog that will turn the wheel affecting UK is Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. He was an assistant coach when Mark Stoops played there. I think Stoops would like to have that job, and that they would want him.

Ferentz is now 69 years old. I would not be surprised if he hits 70 and calls it quits.
I don't buy the "Stoops to Iowa" thing just because he attended school there. I'd venture Stoops hasn't been to campus, maybe even in-state, in like 35 years. Just don't see it. Plus, if you saw Stoops on-field post-game interview after the Ole Miss game...the guy is where he wants to be doing what he wants to do. Contract runs thru 2030, not saying he stays full term but he leaves on his own terms.

Reactions: m080470
As long as Barnhart is AD Brad White will be the next coach. I dont agree with but I am not making the decision. I think Mitch and Stoops will retire at the same time.

I don't buy the "Stoops to Iowa" thing just because he attended school there. I'd venture Stoops hasn't been to campus, maybe even in-state, in like 35 years. Just don't see it. Plus, if you saw Stoops on-field post-game interview after the Ole Miss game...the guy is where he wants to be doing what he wants to do. Contract runs thru 2030, not saying he stays full term but he leaves on his own terms.
I agree that I think that ship has sailed. It's not so much about his lack of connection to Iowa, but more about I just feel like he will end his career here, whether that's next year or at the end of his contract. Many have talked about how Bob got out of coaching early and with his involvement in businesses in the area, I can definitely see him getting out of coaching.

After 5 weeks, Tulane is 3-2, their only losses being to two top 20 teams, Oklahoma and K-State.
First, I would have no complaints if Sumrall was our next coach. I do think he gets a P4 job before Stoops leaves, so I think that throws a wrench in the spokes. (I’m in no hurry to see Stoops leave, and I believe we’re all just spitballing the what if’s if Stoops retires early or takes another job.)

However, a major lesson from Stoops’ tenure is the importance of recruiting north of the SEC footprint. This is imperative for us to continue our upward climb. Consequently, I would highly recommend deep conversations with Luke Fickel. No one knows how these timelines will play out. The Fickel/Wisc partnership is not off to a great start. I think he’s a good coach with great ties to the areas where we need to continue mining for football gems.

Here’s bottom line for me. I think there are several good coaches. However, combining good coaches with resources and connections in strategic areas is the winning combination. Sumrall is a heck of a coach and I would support him 100%. He’ll recruit well in the south, but he must bring a Marrow type with him. (I’m guessing Marrow leaves whenever Stoops leaves.)

Reactions: The-Hack and cat888
First, I would have no complaints if Sumrall was our next coach. I do think he gets a P4 job before Stoops leaves, so I think that throws a wrench in the spokes. (I’m in no hurry to see Stoops leave, and I believe we’re all just spitballing the what if’s if Stoops retires early or takes another job.)

However, a major lesson from Stoops’ tenure is the importance of recruiting north of the SEC footprint. This is imperative for us to continue our upward climb. Consequently, I would highly recommend deep conversations with Luke Fickel. No one knows how these timelines will play out. The Fickel/Wisc partnership is not off to a great start. I think he’s a good coach with great ties to the areas where we need to continue mining for football gems.

Here’s bottom line for me. I think there are several good coaches. However, combining good coaches with resources and connections in strategic areas is the winning combination. Sumrall is a heck of a coach and I would support him 100%. He’ll recruit well in the south, but he must bring a Marrow type with him. (I’m guessing Marrow leaves whenever Stoops leaves.)
Agree not having anyone on board that could recruit Ohio never made since, Curry's first radio show he said he was going to recruit from KY, North but his Coaches all had ties to the South I sorta felt sick when he said it. Brooks had three former head Coaches and they never recruited anywhere his best teams featured Morris and Joker recruits, Brooks never had anyone who would or could bring in players from Ohio. Curci brought players from Flordia but that dried up and no one to recruit OHIO.

Reactions: bballcat4
I don't buy the "Stoops to Iowa" thing just because he attended school there. I'd venture Stoops hasn't been to campus, maybe even in-state, in like 35 years.

A bad “venture.”

Three Stoops brothers attended and played for Iowa. All three brothers wore No. 14. When their father died of an untimely heart attack coaching a high school game, Stoops was playing for Iowa. Stoops’ father was buried with an Iowa jersey, No. 14, tucked beneath his arm.

The entire Stoops family is and will always be close to the Iowa program.

Who told me these things?

Mark Stoops, Vince Marrow, Bradley Dale Peveto and Jon Sumrall. Bradley Dale’s father also succumbed to a heart attack whilst coaching in Texas, a tragic incident he and the Stoops family share.

Do not underestimate the pull of Iowa on Mark and his whole family.

Last edited:
A bad “venture.”

Three Stoops brothers attended and played for Iowa. All three brothers wore No. 14. When their father died of an untimely heart attack coaching a high school game, Stoops was playing for Iowa. Stoops’ father has buried with an Iowa jersey, No. 14, tucked beneath his arm.

The entire Stoops family is and will always be close to the Iowa program.

Who told me these things?

Mark Stoops, Vince Marrow, Bradley Dale Pevato and Jon Sumrall.

Do not underestimate the pull of Iowa on Mark and his whole family.
Stoops could return to Iowa and be the conquering hero as he finished out his career. I think he could take Iowa to the next level and they're on solid footing now. I don't want to lose him, but I could see it happening for several reasons. Not to get in the weeds, but coaches don't like playing for new ADs and I think Stoops leaves before Mitch retires. In this scenario, I see MB giving the job to someone who almost serves as a transitional coach between ADs.

Again, I think Sumrall is a very, very good coach. I will support him 110% if he's UK's next coach. I do, however, think UK needs to give serious thought to bringing in a coach with excellent Ohio/Michigan connections. I think it's easier to bring in excellent assistant coaches with good connections in the south and combine them with a HC & recruiting coordinator with northern roots. (Sumrall was a lethal recruiting combination with Vince!)

(Sumrall was a lethal recruiting combination with Vince!)

As you know, Sumrall grew up in N. Bama, played his college ball at Kentucky, and has coached at Troy and Tulane. I suspect (if given a chance, here) he will have one or more strong mid-western recruiters on staff. He will always have some cred/pull for quality coaches from the mid-west, being the Southern-Most member of the Frye-Stoops coaching tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: bballcat4
I have very high regard for Coach White as a DC and would love it if he stayed here for a career, but I don't see any evidence he would make a great or even good head coach. IMO the best head coaches have great interpersonal skills. For instance listen to interviews of Sumrall, he could charm a snake IMO. Head coach needs to motivate, recruit, inspire, fund raise and manage an entire operation. You've all watch Coach White's interviews. Nuff said.

You've all watch Coach White's interviews. Nuff said.

Coach White is very personable, and extremely good at speaking and such. A true professor of the game, without being too dry. He is sort of a younger, taller version of Eddie Gran . . . in about two seconds you know these guys know more
about football than most any, and would be practicing medicine or rocket science had football not caught their fancy.

But Jon Sumrall has that freaky combination of ALL OF IT. If you thought Bradley Dale Peveto could give a talk to make you run through a wall, wait till you see Sumrall in action.

It’s all speculation, and reading tea leaves.

Maybe Sumrall is at Bama, LSU or Georgia by the time Stoops retires.

But if he gets a shot, here, take an opportunity to meet him. And there will be a lot of those opportunities . . . he’s the kind of Coach who will crowd surf the fan base. But don’t take your checkbook: he’ll have you donating to the school or NIL before you leave his presence.

Last edited:

I don't think it's a given that Marrow leaves should Stoops go. I think Sumrall could convince him to stay, the reason is twofold: Marrow is a little older than these other coaches, what late 50s? He might prefer to settle in. Plus, didn't he just marry a local girl? Might be apt not to move her about. Just feel odds are high Sumrall could convince VM to hang around.

I don't think it's a given that Marrow leaves should Stoops go. I think Sumrall could convince him to stay, the reason is twofold: Marrow is a little older than these other coaches, what late 50s? He might prefer to settle in. Plus, didn't he just marry a local girl? Might be apt not to move her about. Just feel odds are high Sumrall could convince VM to hang around.
I think we're a couple years away from anything happening unless the Iowa job opens up. I agree that it appears that Brad White and Vince both love Lexington. I think White has had some big time DC offers that he's rejected. I'm guessing both of these guys have good relationship with Sumrall. Regardless of what Vince does, he's not going to be in college football much longer. We need him to groom the next great recruiter. However, I'm not sure that position can be groomed. He can help a young guy make connections, but Stoops & Vince have built a culture of trust, great culture, and building relationships. I'm not sure that can be taught!

I like your optimism but it would be depend largely on what circumstances Stoops left on and where he went IMO.

Reactions: The-Hack
Marrow is a little older than these other coaches, what late 50s?
Born August of '68, per Wikipedia. Stoops born 13 months prior, but I think they were in the same class. I know they grew up friends.

Marrow is essentially another Stoops brother, and the only one wearing Super Bowl rings!

I don’t think ideas are the problem. Mitch and co are so behind in NIL and don’t have a plan to catch up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT