ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Scheyer top recruiter per 24/7

Jun 29, 2018
Are you defecating me? Scheyer? Urban kids in 2020 are buying Jon Scheyer's pitch? Probably more like Scheyer is buying them, amirite?

The only thing relate-able about Jon Scheyer is $$$. He was/is the stereotypical Duke player and coach.

24/7 feeding the myth.

Looks like he could be Elizabeth Warren's nephew... so relate-able...

Last edited:
giphy.gif

do you think kids really wanna play for Coach K??????? You guys have seen that guy, right??? Or any of that staff....

obvious is so obvious

Reactions: struggler
He and the rest of Dook's staff has:the personality of a a man hole cover. Pork Belly Capel was K's bagman and Nike has has been pushing kids there .

If you look at Duke's class it's actually as you'd expect a Duke Class. Type of guys who usually go there. So why it's being ? as not on the up/up is weird.

Coach K didn't care for having to deal with the type of player Capel was bringing him. Make assumptions on that as you care to, but the guy is about as comfortable around certain people as a white guy at a Kardashian speed dating event.

His results say that's the case. It's not like they can make qualifiers or exceptions for cheating.

He's got a really good product to sell, whether our fans want to admit it or not.

Reactions: Duke Blu
Jon works very hard, and absolutely establishes good relationships with players. Parents love Jon as well, which, as parents, i'm sure ya'll understand that parents play a big role in it too. There are a lot of you that continue to say you can't understand why a kid FROM ANY BACKGROUND would want to go to Duke. Jalen Rose wanted to go to Duke. He was upset about not being recruited to Duke. It's a successful University and program. Why would you NOT want to go to Duke if given the chance? Also, not every kid, regardless of their background, is the same. Just an extreme example, but If a coach is a nerd or a square, maybe some kids and parents WANT that.

Are you sincerely asking this question of this crowd?

I would like to think that a UK fan can hate Duke, root against Duke or whatever else comes with that disdain, but HONESTLY understand WHY a recruit would entertain going there. To be fair, some UK fans on this forum have been honest so it's not fair to paint everybody with that brush.

Lots of ad hominem in this thread.

Meanwhile, up until Boston/Clarke recently, UK had lost to Duke in five straight recruitments for top 10 kids and eight out of nine head-to-head battles to them in relation to top 10 recruits. At one point last year, the UK staff missed on eight or nine targets to other schools while landing one guy during that same stretch (Brooks). That's the type of thing that puts the Duke recruiting guys ahead in terms of these trivial ranking systems.

We can say Duke has cheated, and we'd likely be correct. But Scheyer helped get actual studs to Durham. That's why he's likely ahead of guys like Barbee, Payne, and Justus.

If we want to make sure one of our guys is there, close out this class with a splash and make history. It's how rankings work.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaudyshaud
I would like to think that a UK fan can hate Duke, root against Duke or whatever else comes with that disdain, but HONESTLY understand WHY a recruit would entertain going there. To be fair, some UK fans on this forum have been honest so it's not fair to paint everybody with that brush.

You're changing your wording. Sure, I can see why a recruit "would entertain" going there, but in your prior post you made it sound like it was irrational to think there was any reason anyone would not want to go to Duke.

Well, that's nonsense. I can think of reasons, starting with the fact that you peckerheads are friggin annoying.

You guys do cheat, but there's more to your pitch than Nike (although I think Nike makes up a sizable portion of the pie graph).

There's Duke's campus; Coach K and his connections to multiple Team USA squads (including the '92 team); academics (for parents who eat that stuff up); K's somewhat successful history with positionless wing forwards; K's 5 national titles; media favoritism; Duke brand, etc.

I hate Duke, but you guys have a great overall pitch. You also are very likely to fade substantially when K steps down. I'd be concerned if I were a Duke fan. The drop off could be significant.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You're changing your wording. Sure, I can see why a recruit "would entertain" going there, but in your prior post you made it sound like it was irrational to think there was any reason anyone would not want to go to Duke.

Well, that's nonsense. I can think of reasons, starting with the fact that you peckerheads are really friggin annoying.

ok that's fair. It wasn't a deliberate effort on my part to change the wording, i can see now that could illicit a different response. I just think that any kids that choose to go to Duke or UK, that's a significant accomplishment.

You guys do cheat, but there's more to your pitch than Nike (although I think Nike makes up a sizable portion of the pie graph).

There's Duke's campus; Coach K and his connections to multiple Team USA squads (including the '92 team); academics (for parents who eat that stuff up); K's somewhat successful history with positionless wing forwards; K's 5 national titles; media favoritism; Duke brand, etc.

I hate Duke, but you guys have a great overall pitch. You also are very likely to fade substantially when K steps down. I'd be concerned if I were a Duke fan. The drop off could be significant.

Oh trust me, i'm not looking forward to K retiring at all. We will be lucky if we can't maintain any semblance of a successful program. My hope obviously, is that Duke has grown as Brand that reaches far beyond just the K name, that maybe there are a lot of things behind the scenes that will support a successful transition. We will see, i'm still a bit optimistic.

ok that's fair. It wasn't a deliberate effort on my part to change the wording, i can see now that could illicit a different response. I just think that any kids that choose to go to Duke or UK, that's a significant accomplishment.

What's fascinating to me is that K knew he couldn't pitch Duke/Duke's history/or his four titles (by 2010) and still be successful in landing elite recruits. He needed help from Nike and Team USA.

It's worked out for him to a point, but it's also exposed some of his noticeable weaknesses as a coach in his seventies. His last three teams were abysmal failures. All three teams were loaded. All three teams lost to inferior talent and K's postgame pressers in each case featured a narrative that blamed the losses on youth and inexperience.

The big difference there is that when Cal's teams have generally lost in upset fashion, Cal blames himself. K is still very much an old school thinker pretending to be a new school philosopher.

It's why I think this coming season - a season where he'll lack the super team aspect he's been accustomed to the last three years - could be especially rough on him.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
What's fascinating to me is that K knew he couldn't pitch Duke/Duke's history/or his four titles (by 2010) and still be successful in landing elite recruits. He needed help from Nike and Team USA.

It's worked out for him to a point, but it's also exposed some of his noticeable weaknesses as a coach in his seventies. His last three teams were abysmal failures. All three teams were loaded. All three teams lost to inferior talent and K's postgame pressers in each case featured a narrative that blamed the losses on youth and inexperience.

The big difference there is that when Cal's teams have generally lost in upset fashion, Cal blames himself. K is still very much an old school thinker pretending to be a new school philosopher.

It's why I think this coming season - a season where he'll lack the super team aspect he's been accustomed to the last three years - could be especially rough on him.

It's hard to deny Nike's influence, help or however you want to word it. The Team USA thing, of course that also had to help.

I personally think it was Nike using Duke as opposed to Duke using Nike. I don't believe for one minute that Duke or K ASKED Nike to help. I think perhaps Nike offered and of course help was accepted. I think Nike is ALWAYS doing what it believes is the best marketing strategy for the company, even the Kaepernick thing was strategic. K is one of, if not the most visible basketball coach in the world, and of course the Team USA thing has a lot to do with that beyond just Duke's success. There is a building in K's honor on the Nike campus. The Nike commercials featuring K and the Duke jersey being seen on those commercials, yes it benefits Duke but i think it benefits Nike more. K's legacy has long been already solidified. Nike is doing everything it can to get visuals attached to that legacy. I don't blame them, it's smart business. Nike has always been smart obviously. Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, Lebron James, it's no coincidence, that Nike will always try to secure what it views as the most polarizing, or dominant athlete or program.

Oh trust me, i'm not looking forward to K retiring at all. We will be lucky if we can't maintain any semblance of a successful program. My hope obviously, is that Duke has grown as Brand that reaches far beyond just the K name, that maybe there are a lot of things behind the scenes that will support a successful transition. We will see, i'm still a bit optimistic.

You guys would have to land someone like Brad Stevens to keep it going at a similar rate. Hire anyone from the "Duke family", and it's a plunge off the cliff by year two or three.

Those guys don't have K's affiliation with Team USA or the long storied history. They will also get a short leash because of the knowledge that another guy might be able to do better. For example, if Duke hires Wojo and he struggles in year two or three, you'll find Duke fans clamoring for Collins, Amaker, or someone else because all of those guys carry a certain level of mystique that actually acts as a negative because any one of them could be seen as "potentially" better than the guy at the helm.

You also won't have Nike giving a crap about any of them. Yes, Nike will still want the Duke brand, but the brand is Coach K. This is something your fans have yet to learn. In all of their massive level hubris, they've assumed they are like Kentucky or UNC in relation to winning outside the efforts of one individual coach. But Coach K is Duke in much the same way Calhoun was UConn and Florida was Donovan. Your tradition is infinitely better than those schools, but that's the point - almost the entire tradition - outside of a sprinkling of Final Fours here and there before the 1980s - was and is entirely based on one man. In such a case, old loyalties, interests and connections that Coach K created at Duke will likely dry up quickly. People might extend support to the new coach while K is alive, out of respect for K's legacy, but once he's dead, those old loyalties will evaporate. The next coach will have to re-brand the program because elite kids won't care about what happened in 1992 or that Wojo once played for the coach who coached Durant and LeBron on the Olympic team.

Kentucky and UNC both learned what life can be like with the wrong hire. Their programs were big enough to sustain a bad hire or two here and there. But Duke's success has bred a sizable collection of former assistants who will want the job. None of those guys are true difference makers and I feel as though all of them would crumble from the weight of trying to hold up in Atlas fashion the expectation that one man has created.

Good luck with that, Duke Nation.

You guys would have to land someone like Brad Stevens to keep it going at a similar rate. Hire anyone from the "Duke family", and it's a plunge off the cliff by year two or three.

Those guys don't have K's affiliation with Team USA or the long storied history. They will also get a short leash because of the knowledge that another guy might be able to do better. For example, if Duke hires Wojo and he struggles in year two or three, you'll find Duke fans clamoring for Collins, Amaker, or someone else because all of those guys carry a certain level of mystique that actually acts as a negative because any one of them could be seen as "potentially" better than the guy at the helm.

You also won't have Nike giving a crap about any of them. Yes, Nike will still want the Duke brand, but the brand is Coach K. This is something your fans have yet to learn. In all of their massive level hubris, they've assumed they are like Kentucky or UNC in relation to winning outside the efforts of one individual coach. But Coach K is Duke in much the same way Calhoun was UConn and Florida was Donovan. Your tradition is infinitely better than those schools, but that's the point - almost the entire tradition - outside of a sprinkling of Final Fours here and there before the 1980s - was and is entirely based on one man. In such a case, old loyalties, interests and connections that Coach K created at Duke will likely dry up quickly. People might extend support to the new coach while K is alive, out of respect for K's legacy, but once he's dead, those old loyalties will evaporate. The next coach will have to re-brand the program because elite kids won't care about what happened in 1992 or that Wojo once played for the coach who coached Durant and LeBron on the Olympic team.

Kentucky and UNC both learned what life can be like with the wrong hire. Their programs were big enough to sustain a bad hire or two here and there. But Duke's success has bred a sizable collection of former assistants who will want the job. None of those guys are true difference makers and I feel as though all of them would crumble from the weight of trying to hold up in Atlas fashion the expectation that one man has created.

Good luck with that, Duke Nation.

I can't disagree with any of that. This is one argument we have on the Duke board often. Brad Stevens is my number #1. To me he is the perfect fit. If you could create a coach in a lab to replace K, it would be him. He LOOKS like a Duke guy if that makes any sense but carries the resume, respect and success to match. As it stands right now, the only Duke K i'm somewhat optimistic about doing well would be Bobby Hurley, because his own Dad is a legend and HOF himself and Bobby is tough. I guess after reading my other post about Nike, it's clear we agree on that too. It's definitely K they want to be associated with. It makes sense.

Jon works very hard, and absolutely establishes good relationships with players. Parents love Jon as well, which, as parents, i'm sure ya'll understand that parents play a big role in it too. There are a lot of you that continue to say you can't understand why a kid FROM ANY BACKGROUND would want to go to Duke. Jalen Rose wanted to go to Duke. He was upset about not being recruited to Duke. It's a successful University and program. Why would you NOT want to go to Duke if given the chance? Also, not every kid, regardless of their background, is the same. Just an extreme example, but If a coach is a nerd or a square, maybe some kids and parents WANT that.
Must be that quality education that lured Bagley, Zion, Reddish, and Barrett to come to Duke. That has to be it. It can't be anything like $$$ or houses or parents jobs or any of that other stuff. Definitely the education. Oh, and the beautiful coeds. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT