ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Jones and Creepy Crean

Cardsstink

All-SEC
Mar 20, 2017
Have these guys had any sniffs? Are they going to end up assistant coach's somewhere?

Havent heard a peep...

I ventured over to the IU board a week or two ago & and there was a thread about him possibly going to Temple. I didnt read it tho...

Heard nothing so far. TV gig is my guess at this point in time of the season for Crean after most of the firing/hiring took place. Who knows if anything late opens up. Johnny Jones will have to take a small school HC job or the assistant coaching route.

Last edited:
Reactions: d2atTech
If those crazy rumors of "Rick Stansbury to LSU" had actually happened, I think WKU would've given Crean a call. I don't think Jones will land a job for some time. He got exposed as a bad coach two years ago and it's gonna take a lot of work for that stigma to come off.

Reactions: d2atTech
Ryan Suchecki‏@Such_Yourself Mar 29
BREAKING NEWS: Tom Crean signs 3 year deal with Virginia BWW (per sources) @BarstoolBigCat @PFTCommenter @PardonMyTake

C8IIEUWUMAA9Jhl.jpg

You call him crazy but I call him creepy. He will always be CC to me. (Creepy Crean)

I believe if Crean takes another coaching job before his buyout runs out, he has to give back the buyout. Not much motivation to look for a coaching job, if that is correct.

I have to believe Crean's pride won't let him bottom out at a school that isn't P5 yet.

If he's the color man doing the Creighton/Wyoming game on Fox Sports a year from now, then he may decide that coaching in the CAA isn't so bad

Can you believe that Shaquille O'Neal mentioned Johnny Jones as a coach he would like his son to play for? I thought he was smarter than that.

Reactions: Global Havok
My prediction for Crean's future....

Kevin Ollie has another terrible season next year, gets fired at seasons end, and Crean becomes the new head coach for UConn after sitting out this year working as an ESPN analyst.

Can you believe that Shaquille O'Neal mentioned Johnny Jones as a coach he would like his son to play for? I thought he was smarter than that.
He wouldn't say that now. He only said that because he was the coach at LSU.

Reactions: Mike-D

Kevin Ollie has another terrible season next year, gets fired at seasons end, and Crean becomes the new head coach for UConn after sitting out this year working as an ESPN analyst.
I could see that.

Well, it would be hard to believe that any good program would pick up either guy, but I expect both will get a gig somewhere. Crean isn't completely inept, he's just really weird. He'll never get a job close to the level of IU again. Johnny Jones has shown he can recruit, which would be a significant boost for some programs, especially in a lesser conference. Put Jones in a place like Memphis, for example, and he might be able to do well. But his actual ability to coach guys up and get them to play disciplined basketball is where the problem lies. Man, if he couldn't make the Dance with the team he had at LSU last season, he never will. That's the scary part for anyone seriously considering him. He clearly didn't have control of that team. The patients were running the asylum.

I can see crean ending up at a school like a kstate or tcu. A decent program but by no means a powerhouse. Johnny jones will end up somewhere like Johnny Dawkins did who also failed enough to land a gig at cfu. The only way jones goes to a bigger school would be as an assistant similar to cal bringing barbee here after getting canned because he not a great head coach.

Reactions: morgousky

Really, that's a pretty good job. You think a program with their recent history will give Crean a chance after mostly failing at IU? At the end the recruits thought he was so weird that he could only land under the radar guys because he's had success of getting guys like that to the NBA.

Pretty surprised Crean hasn't ended up anywhere.

But, didn't he get like $10 milllion from IU when he was let go? He can certainly afford to sit out a year and take a better job next offseason.

Pretty surprised Crean hasn't ended up anywhere.

But, didn't he get like $10 milllion from IU when he was let go? He can certainly afford to sit out a year and take a better job next offseason.
He gets 4 million of he doesn't get another job.

You ain't kidding man. I believe it was right as he peaked at IU though which were the Zeller years. Cody ended up getting him 5 more years that he shouldn't have gotten.
I said before IU made a good hire in Miller. As much as I hate to say it, IU will improve dramatically under him. However, next year will be a struggle even with his solid bench coaching.

I said before IU made a good hire in Miller. As much as I hate to say it, IU will improve dramatically under him. However, next year will be a struggle even with his solid bench coaching.
Yeah, I think they'll be better than people think but with that said it's not like they'll be great and after every loss the media that supported Crean will say all kinds of stupid stuff but in reality just having next year's team playing to their potential and just making the tournament would have to be considered achieving the goal for the year. If Crean were still there they go 500 at best for the season and that's only because he loads the pre-conference schedule with cupcakes besides the 3 or 4 really good teams that they play

It must be nice to fail at your job and get fired, but still get paid for a few years to not work. That is the American dream right there.

Reactions: awf and MegaBlue05
Crean isn't a terrible coach- not like Jones. But he isn't a good one either.

I have to admit, I thought he did out coach Cal once or twice but I don't believe it was his normal routine. I think he wanted it more because Cal and Kentucky were a huge deal to him and something that, honestly, probably, kept him at Indiana 4 years too long.

I wouldn't mind seeing Crean at an SEC school. With Avery, Howland, Pearl, CAL, Barnes, White, Drew, Martin etc the SEC is about to be a top 3 conference. Throw Crean at Ole Miss it would improve the league. Be fun smashing the sht outa his face yearly too

They could really sell it.

******CHAMPIONSHIP NIGHT AT THE TAD!! OLE MISS AND CTC Vs. KENTUCKY

Reactions: irishcat1965
You ain't kidding man. I believe it was right as he peaked at IU though which were the Zeller years. Cody ended up getting him 5 more years that he shouldn't have gotten.

D Wade got him 10-12 years more than he should have gotten at a Power 5 school. The guy really isn't that good of a coach he just accumulates enough talent every 5-6 years that he can win a few games against lower level schools and save his job. I saw on Twitter the other day that Tubby won more NCAA tournament games in his first 3 years at UK than Crean has won his entire career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT