ADVERTISEMENT

Johni Broome?

Typical Cal recruiting blunder. He doesn’t want to take minutes from anyone already here so he doesn’t do anything. This kid could have played here and maybe Oscar could have been a PF. I don’t know but Cal should have tried for the kid. He was a proven good player.
Oscar doesn't have the speed or handles to play PF. As for the other thing you said, "He doesn't want to take minutes from anyone already here...", this board is filled with posts from people complaining that Cal always recruits over people and gives their minutes to the latest person to walk through the door.

As someone who is very familiar with Morehead State, I can say that Johni is a great kid who would've been a fan favorite here. The issue is that he's a traditional five and the only way he would've came here is if Oscar left because they wouldn't have worked together without one of them greatly expanding their outside shot. His game is suited for a more faceup, back you down in the paint style and he's a great defender so he would've done some great things here if it could've worked out since that's what Cal likes. Hate to see him at an SEC rival after rooting for him at MSU the past two years.

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
Cal isn't comfortable having multiple talented guys at one position because it makes him have to make hard decisions about playing time and he would rather have a team where it's obvious who the best players are. The less hard decisions he has to make the better it is for him. Cal totally screwed with Hopkins last year there is no way that kid shouldn't have been just thrown out there from the start of the year and let him play through his mistakes. Bryce would dominate Toppin or Brooks.
Wrong.
He chose starting at Auburn over being sidekick to returning NPOY.

Wrong.
He chose starting at Auburn over being sidekick to returning NPOY.
My post wasn't really intending to address the issue of why Broome isn't at Kentucky but nonetheless Cal would rather just coast with having Toppin playing the 4 instead of bringing in someone who could beat him out at that spot.

Reactions: Catfan2226
So what's it gonna be people? If we had Broome and Oscar then either they play together and clog the lane(god forbid on this board), or split the 40 minutes between them and maybe play five or six minutes on the floor together. So clog the lane, or limit the national player of the year to 25ish minutes per game? OK then, let's say Oscar plays 30-35 minutes per game, which means Broome gets 5-10, maybe 15.
I understand about clogging the lane, but other than Wheeler, we don't have anyone that consistently drives to the basket and/or gets to the foul line anyway. The thing people forget is that Broome is left-handed. With him and Oscar both on the lane (opposite sides), if that's how we played it, that would be a most formidable presence down low ... especially with good shooting from the wings. Defensively might have been more the issue, as Oscar would be asked to guard the PF, most probably. That's my take ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
My post wasn't really intending to address the issue of why Broome isn't at Kentucky but nonetheless Cal would rather just coast with having Toppin playing the 4 instead of bringing in someone who could beat him out at that spot.
But is Broome a PF or a 5 all the way?
Oscar and Broome would be great together.....at Syracuse.

He probably made the right choice by going to Auburn but he still could have really helped UK and he wouldn't have had to sit behind Oscar either.
He would playing for a coach who will not play a zone.
Toppin done a darn good job on Miller before he banged up his shoulder.
Think Broome can check Miller like that? On the perimeter?

He would playing for a coach who will not play a zone.
Toppin done a darn good job on Miller before he banged up his shoulder.
Think Broome can check Miller like that? On the perimeter?
We will see what Broome can do soon enough but I don't buy the theory that this player or that player can't play with Oscar.

As someone who is very familiar with Morehead State, I can say that Johni is a great kid who would've been a fan favorite here. The issue is that he's a traditional five and the only way he would've came here is if Oscar left because they wouldn't have worked together without one of them greatly expanding their outside shot. His game is suited for a more faceup, back you down in the paint style and he's a great defender so he would've done some great things here if it could've worked out since that's what Cal likes. Hate to see him at an SEC rival after rooting for him at MSU the past two years.
I worked with a guy whose wife taught Broome in middle school down in Florida. She had nothing but great things to say about him !! I really wish he was wearing the Blue & White.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatteoV25
UK apparently did not want him.
We don't know that do we.

I had assumed that he did not want to share the paint with Oscar, nor be a backup. And I can understand that.

I wanted him because of his shot blocking. And on offense was willing to make Oscar be a face the basket 15-18' jump shooter to add that.

Wrong.He wasn't offered.
Because Oscar came back.
Why do you think UK reached out in the first place?
Broome would be at UK if Oscar had went to the draft.
It was wide open at Auburn when Kessler and Smith declared.
He basically stepped into the same situation he was in at Morehead but at a power 5 school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT