ADVERTISEMENT

John Welch to Fresno St

The bigger question. Why isn't he following Cal to Arkansas?

That's 1 transfer, 1 recruit staying, 1 opening his recruitment, and 1 coach going elsewhere. No one has followed Cal yet.

That's very telling to me.
Has Cal even been announced to Arkansas yet?

Has Cal even been announced to Arkansas yet?

Doesn't matter really.. no one under him seems inclined to wait to see what he does. This move by Welch, to go to freaking Fresno St, kind of tells you what you need to know about Cal going from Kentucky to a place like Arkansas.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Walberg taught Cal the dribble drive. Not a shocker. Welch is probably friendly or friends with Walberg.

Kyle Tucker reported that Welch had already told Cal he wouldn’t be back next year before the Arkansas stuff even happened.

Reactions: G-PIP
Literally. And Walberg taught Cal the DD.
Which Calipari did not actually run BECAUSE he did not have the 3 pt shooters, BECAUSE he became addicted to recruiting and relying on too many OAD freshmen (who couldn't shoot from the perimeter well enough to run it). Nate Oats actually runs the DD the way Walberg envisioned it (based on what I've read).

I do, however, give Calipari credit for altering the DD to fit his personnel. Although I might be wrong about this, I think the frequent lob to a Big on drives was Calipari, because I don't think that was a big part of Walberg's design (which I think was more about the Center being able to also shoot 3s).

That's 1 transfer, 1 recruit staying, 1 opening his recruitment, and 1 coach going elsewhere. No one has followed Cal yet.

Yeah, it is. But what does it tell you? I'd like to hear that. Maybe it says Cal wasn't such a good boss. Maybe he butted heads with everyone behind the scenes. Maybe some of the coaches this season weren't here by Cal's choice but by demands from the AD.

Yeah, it is. But what does it tell you? I'd like to hear that. Maybe it says Cal wasn't such a good boss. Maybe he butted heads with everyone behind the scenes. Maybe some of the coaches this season weren't here by Cal's choice but by demands from the AD.

I think it says what you mentioned, that this year, the staff wasn't exactly happy with how things went. It was probably tenuous. The team largely under performed for the entire year. It had to weigh on everyone, especially the ones who were here the last few years of disappointment. And the biggest thing, I think they all saw the same odd decisions he made and coaching snafus.

So with all that, I just don't think a lot of these coaches and players are too keen on following him to a lesser program.. a move that's basically him taking off in the middle of the night.

I said if the other day, kind of reminds me of when Michael Scott tried to steal the Dunder Mifflin employees to start his own company, and no one except Pam went with him.

I'm sure Cal is going to take some players and staff.. but it's not going to be as many as he thinks. I don't think this is the Memphis situation that he believes it is.

Yes it is, other than our next coach this is most interesting side story going

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Vance Walberg and John Welch have known each other for like 30 years. Some of you are so clueless.
Sorry some of us have better things to do with our time than study the random lore of Vance Walberg and John Welch. Only ever heard of Welch because he was here. Walberg I probably heard of when Cal talked about who taught him the DD but I forgot because he obviously forgot he everything he was taught.

Still, what a random thing to try to shame people for ya silly goose.

• Haha
Reactions: crawfords corner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT