ADVERTISEMENT

John Wall lists his all time UK starting 5

You can tell he is a younger guy by his list

PG- Himself
SG- Mashburn
SF- Prince
PF- AD
C- Boogie

It's a good list and all, but it's not the correct all time answer.

Probably not the all time list but it’s not anywhere near past a second tier, and they might even beat the first tier a few out of 7.

Mine centers around

Wall
Delk
Mashburn
AD
Horse

Last edited:
PG Ralph Beard
SG Louie Dampier
Wing Jamal Mashburn
PF Dan Issel
Center Bill Spivey
Not on the subject, but when I first seen your posts years ago I thought you were a UNC fan, thought that the h331 was your "cool" way of putting heel in your name lol. I know you're true blue though, just what your username made me think at first.

When I think of our all-time list, I can't help but think of the all-time "they were inches away from playing here" list:

PG - Trae Young
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF - Larry Bird
C - Ralph Sampson
4 of them are literally legends. What could've been

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Probably not the all time list but it’s not anywhere near past a second tier, and they might even beat the first tier a few out of 7.

Mine centers around

Wall
Delk
Mashburn
AD
Isell
Most of the comments where I saw the video of him making the list said how criminal it is that people forget about Delk.

Reactions: Killswitch24
Not on the subject, but when I first seen your posts years ago I thought you were a UNC fan, thought that the h331 was your "cool" way of putting heel in your name lol. I know you're true blue though, just what your username made me think at first.
Grew up in Hazard; started following the Cats when family friend Johnny Cox was on the 1958 Title team. Have 81 UK pictures hanging in my Wildcat Den.

HATE UNC.......

When I think of our all-time list, I can't help but think of the all-time "they were inches away from playing here" list:

PG - Trae Young
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF - Larry Bird
C - Ralph Sampson
Plus 5 thousand other guys that almost went somewhere else. Means nothing really

Grew up in Hazard; started following the Cats when family friend Johnny Cox was on the 1958 Title team. Have 81 UK pictures hanging in my Wildcat Den.

HATE UNC.......

Yea I’m with him. I’m always like why is this UNC fan liking my post! Always seemed weird.

To which you’ve now sent emails out to the mods asking for your alternate DSmith28 to be used, probably your real name, until you took a closer look at that one too!

You’ll probably decide on ITSKENTUCKYDAMNIT by the end of this.

• Haha
Reactions: Princecal
Yea I’m with him. I’m always like why is this UNC fan liking my post! Always seemed weird.

To which you’ve now sent emails out to the mods asking for your alternate DSmith28 to be used, probably your real name, until you took a closer look at that one too!

You’ll probably decide on ITSKENTUCKYDAMNIT by the end of this.
As an old timer, I picked something easy; it is my initials followed by my birthday.

Speaking of UNC, one of my most bitter memories was our meltdown versus them in Birmingham in the Elite 8 (March, 1995). My son and I were smack in the middle of that hated fanbase's seating section. Still tough to get over.

Feel like I change my lineup whenever it comes up. Today I’ll go with

Macy
DA
Mash
AD
Issel

As an old timer, I picked something easy; it is my initials followed by my birthday.

Speaking of UNC, one of my most bitter memories was our meltdown versus them in Birmingham in the Elite 8 (March, 1995). My son and I were smack in the middle of that hated fanbase's seating section. Still tough to get over.
Yes I’m getting old myself. 30’s have been brutal.

Always a tough one sitting in the middle of the opposing student section. Couldn’t imagine sitting with UNCheat fans on that one. Just wait until they join the SEC which is gonna happen. All we’re gonna hear is Kentucky dominating the league how we used to is over. They’ll make “the new sec king” shirts and no telling what else.

You can tell he is a younger guy by his list

PG- Himself
SG- Mashburn
SF- Prince
PF- AD
C- Boogie

It's a good list and all, but it's not the correct all time answer.
Lists like this are highly subjective but I personally love the list. Replace Boogie with Big Dan and there’s some arguments to be had.

I like Wall, but no way in hell does him and Boogie both belong on the all time list while losing to West Virginia. Dan Issel belongs.

I think Wall might be the best or most talented PG all time UK, but no damn way Boogie is.

I give some slight leeway on the West V thing because they had the worst sideline clown for a coach in UK history. Hard to beat real coached teams in the go make a play offense.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
I think he probably got 2 right for sure in Mashburn and AD, maybe 3 if he's right about himself. Big Dan is obviously one of the five and I'm not sure who is next. If it's not positional then Spivey is probably the other; if it's by position then guys like Dampier and Givens and Delk could be in the mix. Now that I think of it I'd put Delk above Wall since Wall only stayed one year and that one year wasn't significantly better than Delk's junior and senior years.

I love Mash but having him guarding a 2 is pushing it.

I'd send Cuz to the bench, move Mash to the 4 and start Delk at the 2.

I don't blame him for not listing Issel, it would just be going by his stats and with the flow because Big Dan was retired before he was born.

Mash brought the ball up a good bit even against presses and he had what it took to defend guards well. If you can get away with having Mash at the two playing perimeter offense, defending guards out on the floor, and driving a bit which he was great at, then he would absolutely abuse any SG you put him against at the basket both offensively and defensively. Hard to imagine a situation where the opposing team doesn’t lose more than you lose from the fact that Mash is not a natural SG. Some of this is obviously just names it’s hard to leave off the list, but I still like the way John is thinking here.

Reactions: BlueWhite21

PG - Trae Young
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF - Larry Bird
C - Ralph Sampson
I’d take
Jason Kidd
Ray Allen
McGrady
Bird
Moses Malone

I like Wall, but no way in hell does him and Boogie both belong on the all time list while losing to West Virginia. Dan Issel belongs.

Issel never even made a final four here in 3 seasons.

Why is it held against wall and boogie n 1 season but not Dan issel? Issel had 4 time title winner Rupp as coach while the other 2 had CCC.

Pretty much 0 doubt to me if Wall and cousins stayed 3 years they win at least 1 title.

Mine centers around

Wall
Delk
Mashburn
AD
Horse
That’s the list

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT