ADVERTISEMENT

John Wall is a Choker

mbc82584

Junior
Jun 11, 2006
#TruthBomb

Hes a good player, athletic freak, and stat stuffer, but he will never ever win a championship anywhere.

He dribbled off his foot in his chance to win the championship in high school with Word of God.

He played awful in the NCAAT, and not only shot one for one million in the WVA game, but also failed to rally his ultra talented troops when he couldn't buy one.

Now in the NBA, same. Tonight he shot multiple air balls at crucial moments. Even in his "big night" where most of his points came in the first quarter, he choked when it mattered. His shot to win the game wasn't even close. He let his team get blown out in OT.

Cal gets the blame for "one of the most talented college teams to miss the final four" but the reality is the leader of that team is not equipped to win big pressure games. Period.

Reactions: why_not_kentucky
B
Horrible take.

He only played one year of college ball and is just now hitting his stride in the league. He's a legit MVP candidate moving forward.

Just hitting his stride? He's been in the league for 7 years. He's still fairly young, but tonight he showed the exact same thing he has showed in every high stakes, big pressure game he's ever played.

#TruthBomb

Hes a good player, athletic freak, and stat stuffer, but he will never ever win a championship anywhere.

He dribbled off his foot in his chance to win the championship in high school with Word of God.

He played awful in the NCAAT, and not only shot one for one million in the WVA game, but also failed to rally his ultra talented troops when he couldn't buy one.

Now in the NBA, same. Tonight he shot multiple air balls at crucial moments. Even in his "big night" where most of his points came in the first quarter, he choked when it mattered. His shot to win the game wasn't even close. He let his team get blown out in OT.

Cal gets the blame for "one of the most talented college teams to miss the final four" but the reality is the leader of that team is not equipped to win big pressure games. Period.

Grow up and stop typing, you sound pathetic.

Or maybe he was tired from carrying his weak supporting cast against a 1-seed home team with their best player going for 53.

According to the Internet, Michael Jordan made every play ever and the rest of the players throughout history were chokers.

Did that player not score those 53 with JW guarding him? Are you not contributing to my point?

The Wizards do not have that weak a supporting cast. And even if you argue different, they were up 7 with less than 3 in regulation. JW had 2 air balls, a massive turnover that led to a dunk, and a brick at the end of regulation in that time. Just like dribbling off his foot, it was a choke.

Fake news...

Did you even watch the game? Wizards stopped hitting shots. They hit those open shots John Wall sets them up for the game is over in regulation and he has about 5 more assists. It's hard to win championships. And it's hard to be in contention. With a player like Wall you have a shot.

#TruthBomb

Not everyone can be a closer like you, mbc82584.

Or maybe he was tired from carrying his weak supporting cast against a 1-seed home team with their best player going for 53.

According to the Internet, Michael Jordan made every play ever and the rest of the players throughout history were chokers.

Did that player not score those 53 with JW guarding him? Are you not contributing to my point?

The Wizards do not have that weak a supporting cast. And even if you argue different, they were up 7 with less than 3 in regulation. JW had 2 air balls, a massive turnover that led to a dunk, and a brick at the end of regulation in that time. Just like dribbling off his foot, it was a choke.
Actually no. You didn't watch. They switched when Boston screened to get T4 against Morris or gortat.

40 pts, 13 ast, 3 reb, 3 stl, 3 blk.

Yep he choked. They would've never had a chance to win at the end and more than likely a blowout without him..

I already said the guy is a stat stuffer! He proved that when he was here.

He will put up big numbers, help you get to the dance, and beat you when it matters.

Replace JW on that 2010 team with Ulis, or Teague, or Fox, and give those guys runs with Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson etc and we never ever lose.

Some players just have the choke gene.

Actually no. You didn't watch. They switched when Boston screened to get T4 against Morris or gortat.

Yeah for the 4Q and OT. The first 32-35 came in a lot of man to man. I'm not saying Wall got burned the whole game on defense either. More saying he did when it mattered at crunch time

IT had 50+

John had the ball for the win, and went full retard like he did against WVU.

It's ok to say that. He's probably my favorite player, but his strengths aren't ISO fadeaway jumpers. He's really good at collapsing the D and either finishing in the paint or finding the open man. He gets away from whats working. Did it game 1 and tonight.

I didn't know he lost his HS championship dribbling off his foot...ooof. Man.

But screw Bradley Beal tho. You can never say John didn't give it his all, but Bradley Beal flat out quit multiple times tonight. Awful effort.

Reactions: mbc82584
IT had 50+

It's ok to say that. He's probably my favorite player, but his strengths aren't ISO fadeaway jumpers. He's really good at collapsing the D and either finishing in the paint or finding the open man. He gets away from whats working. Did it game 1 and tonight.

But screw Bradley Beal tho. You can never say John didn't give it his all, but Bradley Beal flat out quit multiple times tonight. Awful effort.

At least by your comments you watch the game, not like another poster.

I mean Kentucky fans are awesome as hell, but so predictable. We defend our own and try to scald anyone who talks bad about one of us. I get it.

But it doesn't change facts. Wall has lost almost every high pressure game he has played in his life--not only that, his fingerprints are all over those games at crunch time, and not in a good way.

40 pts, 13 ast, 3 reb, 3 stl, 3 blk.

Yep he choked. They would've never had a chance to win at the end and more than likely a blowout without him..

He will put up big numbers, help you get to the dance, and beat you when it matters.

Replace JW on that 2010 team with Ulis, or Teague, or Fox, and give those guys runs with Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson etc and we never ever lose.

where are teague, ulis, cousins, bledsoe, patterson? They watched John Wall close out the Hawks when it mattered in game 6 on the road. And now they're watching him go toe to toe with the #1 seed.

Oh and that 2010 team had no consistent 3 point shooters yet they went 35-3. But I guess John Wall gets no credit for that but all the blame for liggins, bledsoe, Miller, etc going 2-348 from 3 against WVU.

I find it humorous that people like you would label an All Star NBA player. From your computer. Having never sniffed athletic success at any level.

IT had 50+

Probably better synopsis here than I provided. Beal definitely disappeared.

That said, Wall going away from what works is kinda what I'm talking about here. He loses his mind in tight games.

I mean Kentucky fans are awesome as hell, but so predictable. We defend our own and try to scald anyone who talks bad about one of us. I get it.

But it doesn't change facts. Wall has lost almost every high pressure game he has played in his life--not only that, his fingerprints are all over those games at crunch time, and not in a good way.

Curious, besides kick ball, did you ever play any sports?

Reactions: Mr_GG

Yeah for the 4Q and OT. The first 32-35 came in a lot of man to man. I'm not saying Wall got burned the whole game on defense either. More saying he did when it mattered at crunch time
no. In the 4th quarter and OT he ran off screens and was ISOd against Morris and Gortat. It was great coaching by Stevens.

There's a real discussion to be had here, but the OP has it all wrong.

Wall is a pass first PG. That's the one thing that you can't have as your best player and win a title.

In crunch time, franchise players do what they do best. In Wall's case, that means creating for teammates. When your teammates are Brad Beal and Otto Porter, it doesn't work.

So Wall has to do what's outside of his strengths. When the team is behind by 7 with a minute, he's going to take some bad shots and probably miss them.

In a way, people often criticized LeBron for the same thing. Novice fans confuse making the right play for passing up the "big shot."

Even Jordan had to find Paxton and Kerr, but Jordan was geared to do what you need to do sometimes down the stretch: take and make a ridiculous shot.

When's the last pass first PG to win it all? Zeke? And it took a legendary defense, an old celtics team and a baby Jordan for it to happen. Before that it was Magic.

So you need the two best PG's of the modern era with hall of fame supporting casts to do it. But you think Beal and Porter are enough.

I find it humorous that people like you would label an All Star NBA player. From your computer. Having never sniffed athletic success at any level.

I said he will never win a championship at any level, which is a factual statement as of today.

Are you saying that only championship athletes are allowed to comment on message boards? Because if so, we probably need to shut this thing down

Wall is a pass first PG. That's the one thing that you can't have as your best player and win a title.

In crunch time, franchise players do what they do best. In Wall's case, that means creating for teammates. When your teammates are Brad Beal and Otto Porter, it doesn't work.

So Wall has to do what's outside of his strengths. When the team is behind by 7 with a minute, he's going to take some bad shots and probably miss them.

In a way, people often criticized LeBron for the same thing. Novice fans confuse making the right play for passing up the "big shot."

Even Jordan had to find Paxton and Kerr, but Jordan was geared to do what you need to do sometimes down the stretch: take and make a ridiculous shot.

It's the Cp3 question. Can you win a title when your best player is a pass first point guard? I don't think you can. Magic was a pass first guard but he had Kareem. It's a interesting discussion to have. Much better than jumping to the conclusion that Wall is a choker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Blue79

When's the last pass first PG to win it all? Zeke? And it took a legendary defense, an old celtics team and a baby Jordan for it to happen. Before that it was Magic.

So you need the two best PG's of the modern era with hall of fame supporting casts to do it. But you think Beal and Porter are enough.

Honestly good discussion here, but it misses one point about Wall.

I like your points that he's a pass first PG, and that it's bad for him to be a teams best player.

It a problem though when you factor in his decision making. Late in the 4Q of this game he allowed the clock to run all the way down and settled for guarded 3s and long 2s, several of which were air balls. So many possessions without him trying to get to the rack, which he's the best at.

Not as though he couldn't do that--he did I in the first and 3rd quarters a ton.

It's why I say choke, when a persons mentality changes in crunch time, that's pretty much the only thing to say

It's the Cp3 question. Can you win a title when your best player is a pass first point guard? I don't think you can, it's a interesting discussion to have. Much better than jumping to the conclusion that Wall is a choker.

I think you can in this modern NBA with 3 mega stars on one team. We saw Stockton, Kidd, Nash, etc fall short, but if you put CP3 with, say, Klay Thompson and Karl Towns--he can win.

They just can't do it alone. Because in the playoffs it becomes a duel between the two best players making plays. When one team has a shot maker going for 53, and the other is trying to get Bogdanovic and Oubre looks from the corner...yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT