ADVERTISEMENT

John Wall…..Just how good was he?

Gromcat

All-American
Jun 29, 2021
For those that saw it live, just how good was John Wall?

I mean I saw it too, but this is a rafters series I’ve started and the theme must follow the former.

So far we’ve covered

1. Rex Chapman
2. Dan Issel
3. John Wall - you’re up.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
He was amazing. I’ll take him first over any point guard in Cal era. Maybe all time here. He was on par with Mash in changing the trajectory of the program. He was awesome. Check UNC game - awesome!

I used to love some of my friends in Tennessee saying “he turns the ball over too much”.

Uh yea, when you’re making cartoon plays every other play and the ball stays in your hands that kind of happens.

Tell me you know nothing about basketball without….zzzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: BlueSince92
Brought us back. The most electric player we had perhaps ever or at least since the last Pitino years.

Honestly thought he would’ve been more of a phenom at the NBA level. But man, I loved that 2010 team. Hurt like hell to lose with that group.

I was in Rupp for when he hit the game winner against Miami of OH.

I’ve seen people say his NBA career was a disappointment. I just don’t think it goes that far.

But I did expect a HOF type of career honestly. It’s a lot to live up to.

Check out the UNC game. He goes full court in just four dribbles - twice. Unbelievably quick and beat his man of the dribble almost every time. Turnovers and 3s were his Achilles heel, but he was so athletic he affected every single possession. In addition, he was coolest guy in CBB except for maybe Boogie. He instantly made us the IT team. Top 5 of the Cal era.

Seriously watching that highlight real against UNC… we simply don’t play like that anymore. I miss that.

Attended Big Blue Madness that year and just knew. Everyone could feel it in the air. I went to Cancun, as well, and he was just a celebrity ... had the perfect side-kick in Cousins.

Wall put UK basketball back on the map. There were celebrities at nearly every home game to see him (and Cal, others). Lebron was the "Y" at a game. Magic Johnson was the "Y" too. They spoke to the team before games. It was the hottest ticket in sports.

Wall's performance against UConn at Madison Square Garden (I was there) lived up to the hype. It was the definition of electric for a game environment. UNC game, too.

His impact on the first half of Cal's tenure is immeasurable. He was a great player, but he made us cool again. Magic Johnson did the John Wall dance at mid court of Rupp for crying out loud.

Reactions: chroix and Gromcat
Attended Big Blue Madness that year and just knew. Everyone could feel it in the air. I went to Cancun, as well, and he was just a celebrity ... had the perfect side-kick in Cousins.

Wall put UK basketball back on the map. There were celebrities at nearly every home game to see him (and Cal, others). Lebron was the "Y" at a game. Magic Johnson was the "Y" too. They spoke to the team before games. It was the hottest ticket in sports.

Wall's performance against UConn at Madison Square Garden (I was there) lived up to the hype. It was the definition of electric for a game environment. UNC game, too.

I was at madness that year. Electric doesn’t begin to describe it.

Screw the gif and the pic, gotta be the greatest mixtape of all time for this one.
Undisputed mixtape champion, there’s no question about that. The best high school mixtape I’ve ever seen to this day.

I remember thinking is the guy for real? His mixtape was almost cartoonish it was so good. And then the UNC game happened and I’m like, “holy cow that mixtape is ACTUALLY who this guy is.” Just amazing. I have framed and autographed solo pictures of 2 UK players (not really an autograph guy) on my office wall beside me right now. Derek Anderson and John Wall. That’s it.

Nobody was cooler than Wall. He completely changed the tone of UK basketball. First team AA. Was the best player in college bball that year from day one. That year was magical from the start. UK2K, magic, Lebron, Even at Madness that year, some dude hit a half court shot to win some prize. Everything was just perfect that year.

In the 90s, “game breaker” was a popular college football phrase.

John Wall was a game breaker in basketball. He did not do it every game, but many times he’d step up his play to such a level that it completely blew away the opponent. He did it to UNC, IU, UConn at MSG, and against UT at Rupp to name a few.

I still can’t understand how in the world we missed CJ Leslie. I remember thinking he was a lock with no key and was just baffled when he didn’t commit.

Those were the last days I really got into recruiting as a type of hobby. I used to be all over it, but after the 2014 class I just stopped. Maybe it was more age than anything, but I remember thinking with Calipari’s approach there just wasn’t a need to know anymore.

Reactions: chroix and MWes11
He was a highlight waiting to happen with lightning speed. I have never been more excited about a player joining the program as I was when he signed. I must've watched his HS highlight tape hundreds of times when I was in college. Wall and Fox were the two fastest PG's I have ever seen play at UK, with Fox being the fastest in the NBA today.

Reactions: chroix and Gromcat
No need for the probably, I’d say there’s no doubt about that. Wall is our gold standard when it comes to sheer speed and explosiveness.

I’d love to have seen him and Fox in a race end to end. No doubt on the explosiveness but speed…

He was a highlight waiting to happen with lightning speed. I have never been more excited about a player joining the program as I was when he signed. I must've watched his HS highlight tape hundreds of times when I was in college. Wall and Fox were the two fastest PG's I have ever seen play at UK, with Fox being the fastest in the NBA today.

I was like 22 I think when Wall was coming. I lay’d a beat down on that mixtape button worse than my first steady piece. Just suffering through the end of Tubby then Gillispie, I was starving for that kind of recruiting. I can still see Wall’s rivals picture while looking at the top 100, wearing some kind of medal.

And I just continued to assault that mixtape button. And again, again.

“Honey follow me to bed”

Not right now I’m watching this John Wall Mixtape

“You’ve been watching it all day. Come on, you don’t want to miss this. Becky is coming over you get us both.”

I can’t do it right now babe. Some other time.

Reactions: MWes11
I’d love to have seen him and Fox in a race end to end. No doubt on the explosiveness but speed…

Just can’t see him beating Wall at that age. Wall had a 5th gear that was tough to understand.

His crossover move that split the double team and scored the winning basket against North Carolina made me literally gasp. What a stud. If he had an even reasonably reliable jumper we don't lose any games that year.

I was like 22 I think when Wall was coming. I lay’d a beat down on that mixtape button worse than my first steady piece. Just suffering through the end of Tubby then Gillispie, I was starving for that kind of recruiting. I can still see Wall’s rivals picture while looking at the top 100, wearing some kind of medal.

And I just continued to assault that mixtape button. And again, again.

“Honey follow me to bed”

Not right now I’m watching this John Wall Mixtape

“You’ve been watching it all day. Come on, you don’t want to miss this. Becky is coming over you get us both.”

I can’t do it right now babe. Some other time.
"This has been 'The man who would rather watch John Wall mixtapes than have sex.'"

(Bob and Tom Show reference)

• Haha
Reactions: Gromcat
I mean the guy even branded his own dance.
College Basketball Dance GIF by SEC Network

Most hyped recruit I ever remember. It was a lot of fun. His teammate Eric Bledsoe might be most underrated point guard we ever had. He was awesome too.
In Cal era I would take Fox over Wall. Much better 3 point shooter imo along with the quickness to get to the basket whenever he wanted. But Wall was great

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT