ADVERTISEMENT

John Schlarmann passes away

Met John numerous times at UK football functions and private fund raising dinners over the years. He would recognize me and more times than not just gave me a warm and embracing bear hug. He truly did embody the spirit of UK football. His eyes would literally just light up about the thought and idea of UK playing winning football. We will never have anyone else like him. He truly was a great football coach but an even better human being!! Rest In Peace, Big Guy!

Can't imagine the toughness required to coach all the way up to the end. I knew he looked bad at the UT game but had no clue the end was this near.

People should apologize for all the criticism of the offensive players. Obviously they knew this was coming and it had to be awful

Can't imagine the toughness required to coach all the way up to the end. I knew he looked bad at the UT game but had no clue the end was this near.

People should apologize for all the criticism of the offensive players. Obviously they knew this was coming and it had to be awful
For all of us who have had to watch a loved one slip away from this horrible disease, it was obvious seeing John after the UT game that the end was near.

You recognize the look of a person who has fought with everything they have to live and just have nothing left to fight with.

I lost my beautiful wife to this horrible monster in 2015 and still grieve every day because of losing her to cancer way too soon.

To quote Gen. Cantrell in Riding With the Devil. "I am sad today, boys. "

I am really sad for John's family and the Big Blue Nation.
We lost a great human being today. Life will never be the same for all those he touched in life, and now in his victory over cancer. God bless this family today.

Met John numerous times at UK football functions and private fund raising dinners over the years. He would recognize me and more times than not just gave me a warm and embracing bear hug. He truly did embody the spirit of UK football. His eyes would literally just light up about the thought and idea of UK playing winning football. We will never have anyone else like him. He truly was a great football coach but an even better human being!! Rest In Peace, Big Guy!

I'm amazed at people that remember random people they meet. I ate dinner with Donna Smith once (my bio dad is friends with them) and there were like 7 other people there. Like 2 years later I went into the pie shop she owned and she just went "Ryan!" and ran up and hugged me. Literally had met her once and there was ZERO reason for her to remember me.

For all of us who have had to watch a loved one slip away from this horrible disease, it was obvious seeing John after the UT game that the end was near.

It still hurts so bad. The last time I spoke to my grandpa he couldn't stay on the phone for more than a minute. My grandma didn't even want to hand him the phone. I knew he was done soon. A week later my mom called me to tell me he passed and I literally broke down in public

It still hurts so bad. The last time I spoke to my grandpa he couldn't stay on the phone for more than a minute. My grandma didn't even want to hand him the phone. I knew he was done soon. A week later my mom called me to tell me he passed and I literally broke down in public
I understand. It is a pain that there are no words and no remedy for other than trusting God and finding comfort in the fact they are no longer suffering.

This is why the team and Coaches were so flat during the Missouri game. They all knew.

I suspected a dire situation when they gave him the UT game ball then the pic with Young/Jackson where he looked so gaunt. Thoughts to he and his family.

Sad day for Wildcat Nation! Will always remember John as tough, hard working, determined,someone we all strived to be, and his positive attitude. Godspeed! Prayers to the family.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Very sad news indeed. But if we know Coach, he would be saying “Come on guys, we gotta get ready for the game Saturday” Truly an inspiration to anyone who ever saw him or met him. His story has resonated around the Country.

Lord, we humbly ask you to watch over John’s family. Grant them the peace and comfort at this time. Let them feel your healing powers as you welcome him into your Kingdom. We ask this O Lord in your name. Amen.

Horrible news! I actually met he and Coach Gran outside of KSBar back in February of 2019. They were walking in to the restaurant as we were leaving and I congratulated them on the 10-win season. Both guys shook our hands and thanked us. A brief interaction but you could just instantly tell how friendly and genuine they were. Tough loss for the guys on the team for sure.

Sadness... pure sadness. The man exuded class and will be missed. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends and all who knew and loved him. I am sure the players and football staff are grieving as well.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Surely the Coaches and UK will take care of his family. They have more than enough without it being an issue with them.

Reactions: ukgrad2004
Not a lot to say right now about this, other than it's a real bummer. I pray for his family and for all of those who he impacted. The world is a little less today

I suspected a dire situation when they gave him the UT game ball then the pic with Young/Jackson where he looked so gaunt. Thoughts to he and his family.

There was a procedure scheduled for him that following Monday. When he went in they couldn’t do it because it had become so pervasive. That’s when they knew it wouldn’t be long at all. Just sad.

RIP to coach. Keep his family and all his players in your hearts.
5d77e64cb446b.image.jpg
I remember that day when I was a kid far too well. My heart goes out to that family. Prayers for all who loved Coach.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT