ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Hart

Jan 11, 2016
Joey is one player that I never hear about when we talk about the next couple of years. What is everyone’s thoughts on Joey? Can he be a contributor in the next couple years or will he even be in the program?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Likely to leave after this year. Hard to know how he would contribute here. Seems to be fundamentally sound and would likely be a 40% 3 point shooter and about 85% free throw. Can he guard big time D1 guards though and hold up to the pressures of high D1 ball. I see him ending up at a mid major somewhere.

Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Idk why he even committed here only to transfer after one season.

He knew he wasn't gonna get playing time as 12th man this year.
When you are a 3 star and it's June already and you havent commited and school starts in August and UK offers you jump on it. Once in a lifetime chance for that type of player. I just don't see him staying and being a Jon Hood type. He wants ticplay but simply isn't good enough to play meaningful minutes here. He'd fit better at Murray State or an Evansville type school.

Last edited:
Gotta have at least one fair skinned guy who can shoot. A lot of good teams have a couple of them. Just don’t go overboard like Wisconsin, St. Mary’s, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
When you are a 3 star and it's June already and you havent commited and school starts in August and UK offers you jump on it. Once in a lifetime chance for that type of player. I just don't see him staying and being a Jon Hood type. He wants ticplay but simply isn't good enough to play meaningful minutes here. He'd fit better at Murray State or an Evansville type school.
Correct.

he is a true freshman in the sense, if he wants to stay at Kentucky or a power 5 D1 , he probably isn't getting significant playing time till junior year. He was a 3 star for a reason, probably has things he needs to improve on. If he wants the challenge to play d1, he stays a works hard here.

He may transfer to get immediate playing time at a lesser school, but he had to know coming in to Kentucky it would be a while and a lot of work to make the floor... that's a good sign a player wants the challenge and goal.

I would be shocked if Joey stayed. That’s one thing I’d like to see next year added to the roster. A 5th guard that you could actually play at times. Personally I’d push for the Duke type signing where they get a transfer from an average-below average player at a lower school that’s played 3-4 years already.

Impossible to know unless you actually know Joey and how he views his time here.
IMO, he'll get very little interest in the portal.
I can't see any higher than an OVC or Horizon school.
I'd say going from UK to a rotational player at a mid major would be a significant NIL pay cut.

Idk why he even committed here only to transfer after one season.

He knew he wasn't gonna get playing time as 12th man this year.
I don’t think it’s a certainty he does transfer but most speculate he will. Maybe he wanted to come be part of a big time program for one year and practice against future NBA players to better himself as a player. Not a bad move actually!!!!

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
As a previous poster said, it’s hard to say without knowing him personally. He may have grown up a Kentucky fan and would rather be here on the bench with a possibility of playing. Or he may have just chosen Kentucky because it was a big name, and now that he’s seen where he’s at in the pecking order he’s ready to move on.

Personally, I hope he stays and works to get on the floor. But, I don’t know him and he doesn’t owe me anything. So, I hope the best for him whatever he chooses at the end of the year.

I would be shocked if Joey stayed. That’s one thing I’d like to see next year added to the roster. A 5th guard that you could actually play at times. Personally I’d push for the Duke type signing where they get a transfer from an average-below average player at a lower school that’s played 3-4 years already.
A 5th year transfer isn't coming to just "play at times", they want a large spot. Maybe I read your post wrong but that's how I took it.

I'm a fan of Joey Hart. So biased. But can say that at UK's Pro Day-he jumped out to NBA guys who were in attendance according to friend who was also there. He's an athletic player who can shoot the **** out of the ball. His adjustment has been playing/defending the perimeter/wing after playing as tallest player on HS team and defensively wasn't a perimeter defender. He and Burks stay, they'll get a chance to make an impact on the team. Then it's about producing with that chance.

If he stays next year, think he'll have a role. Guy signed with UCF originally so if he transfers, I'll bet that he ends up at a Power Conference level. Some fans may not realize that UCF is now in the Big 12 which I fully understand with college sports shuffling going on. UCF has been competitive in a lot of their games which is in the toughest conference in the country for the past 5 years.

IMHO, Based on Calipari’s history, he’s not going to ever see court time here. Cal recruits 5* guards and plays them in their freshman year in order to fast-track them to the NBA. A guy like Joey Hartwill will constantly be recruited over here and. will not get much court time. If he’s happy to be here, fine, but if it was me I’d hit the portal. Maybe he has no NBA ansperat and just wants a college degree while being a part of a big-time college program.
Many in this thread have guessed that his D might not be up to par as to why he cannot sniff the court. Could it be any worse than Dillingham’s or Reeves D? No way to know unless one can attend UK basketball practices.

Last edited:
IMHO, Based on Calipari’s history, he’s not going to ever see court time here. Cal recruits 5* guards and plays them in their freshman year in order to fast-track them to the NBA. A guy like Joey Hartwill will constantly be recruited over here and. will not get much court time. If he’s happy to be here, fine, but if it was me I’d hit the portal. Maybe he has no NBA ansperat and just wants a college degree while being a part of a big-time college program.
Many in this thread have guessed that his D might not be up to par as to why he cannot sniff the court. Could it be any worse than Dillingham’s or Reeves D? No way to know unless one can attend UK basketball practices.
Cal has rewarded guys who stayed like Hawkins with good playing time their junior and senior years especially.

I think he could be a contributor next year. Do I think it will happen? No.
Supposedly he has the shot, and a vertical. So that means he probably needs to get some combination of stronger, quicker, better ballhandler, better able to create his own shot.
I think those are all easier to improve (except maybe the quicker part) than significantly improving your shot.
The key for him is when will he get his opportunity, unless he just shows-out in practice.
So I think we won't see him getting 10+ MPG until his JR year, although I think it's possible we could next year.

I'm a fan of Joey Hart. So biased. But can say that at UK's Pro Day-he jumped out to NBA guys who were in attendance according to friend who was also there. He's an athletic player who can shoot the **** out of the ball. His adjustment has been playing/defending the perimeter/wing after playing as tallest player on HS team and defensively wasn't a perimeter defender. He and Burks stay, they'll get a chance to make an impact on the team. Then it's about producing with that chance.

If he stays next year, think he'll have a role. Guy signed with UCF originally so if he transfers, I'll bet that he ends up at a Power Conference level. Some fans may not realize that UCF is now in the Big 12 which I fully understand with college sports shuffling going on. UCF has been competitive in a lot of their games which is in the toughest conference in the country for the past 5 years.
Thanks. Nice to read something from someone who actually has a good idea about what kind of talent Hart has and where his (doable) improvement needs to come from. When Hart committed, I read what I could find about him and watched video of him in games. I didn’t see anything not to like, and still don’t. But I think I remember seeing him manning the back of his team’s zone – which would certainly fit with what you’re saying.

I don’t understand the assumptions so many jump to when a typical freshman doesn’t play. In regard to Hart, for example, what do posters here have to base their opinions on except the fact that he hasn’t played. Maybe they’ve just been UK fans since the time of Calipari and don’t pay attention to other CBB programs. But lots of freshmen don’t typically play. And many of those freshmen develop into really good (and better) college basketball players. We like to think we’re one of (if not the most) knowledgeable fan bases, but you couldn’t prove it to me from reading a lot of this thread.

I want Burks and Hart recruited to stay as hard or harder than any high schooler is being recruited. UK has to develop a core of upperclassmen if it’s going to be one of the top CBB programs regularly in contention for a championship. And a 6'5" athlete with potential to be a knock-down shooter is a heck of a place to start in my opinion.

There’s no guarantee any player blossoms, but guys like Hart and Burks routinely bust our a** as upperclassmen. I think maybe we should think about trying to develop some of those guys ourselves for a change.

Reactions: catomic42
I said this same thing in the thread about Canada. I would've jumped at the chance to walkon at UK. Stayed a year or two. But I was too competitive and would want to get playing time.
Hart is on scholarship so he is definitely good enough to get playing time at a lower level. Canada would get playing time at some level. Maybe NAIA for him.
Hats off to the ones that stay 4 years knowing they will never get playing time. I couldn't have done it.

Joey is one player that I never hear about when we talk about the next couple of years. What is everyone’s thoughts on Joey? Can he be a contributor in the next couple years or will he even be in the program?
Honestly, he would have had a better chance at playing at UK if he had gone to a smaller school and got plenty of playing time and transfer portaled to UK . imo

I have no idea whether Hart stays or not. But he isn't going to play ahead of Boogie or Perry. If Sheppard comes back (<50-50 chance in my totally uneducated opinion), Hart may as well make a dash for the portal. But this is his decision to make. Maybe he likes Lexington.

I am much more concerned about Burks, who has the talent to be a difference maker in our playing rotation next season. We could really use Burks back.

Well a vast majority “know” that Reed is leaving. Which is actually more hilarious ~~~
I don't think many presume to know what Reed Sheppard wants to do. But all of us can see that Reed is one of the three most talented players on this team. ESPN just named him national freshman of the year. In ESPN's mock draft, Sheppard goes near the top of the lottery at #5. The fact of the matter is that most players with that resume enter the draft. Doesn't mean Reed will, but it is crazy to deny the likelihood.

Reactions: Zissou87
I liked what I saw of him on tape from high school. Actually reminded me of Jeff Sheppard a bit.

No idea if he’ll stick around, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s putting up decent numbers somewhere by his Junior year.
I agree- from what I saw he can play- he may stay around and contribute his Jr/Sr yrs or transfer to a smaller school and start- hope he stays

Reactions: Aike
Reed, Rob, DJ, Antonio, and Justin are all probably gone after this season. So far, UK has signed 3 guards in a poor recruiting class. Unless there's a reclass and/or transfer portal addition, I don't love the idea, but don't think it's out of possibility for Joey to have to receive playing time.

I don't think many presume to know what Reed Sheppard wants to do. But all of us can see that Reed is one of the three most talented players on this team. ESPN just named him national freshman of the year. In ESPN's mock draft, Sheppard goes near the top of the lottery at #5. The fact of the matter is that most players with that resume enter the draft. Doesn't mean Reed will, but it is crazy to deny the likelihood.
If he is a lottery pick, he 100% gone- life can happen and he may not get the chance again - strike while the iron is hot

Reactions: Zissou87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT