ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Burrow transfer?

Sep 5, 2017
I have been following Ohio State's QB battle closely and have an interesting take. Joe Burrow has talked about transferring if he does not win the job. Considering he will be a graduate transfer, he will be available to play immediately. Many think Dwayne Haskins is going to win the job considering he came in and led a comeback win vs Michigan. But Joe Burrow is a legit QB who looked the best in the spring game, and Ohio State's 3 QBs have been considered 3 of the top 6-7 QBs in the Big East.

Sooooo, if Joe Burrow transfers, I think we have a nice shot. Joe was recruited by Vince Marrow out of HS and is from SE Ohio. The other 2 schools that Burrow considered the most out of HS were WVU and ISU. WVU has Will Grier and ISU has a couple of good, young QBs. The KY state border is closer to his home than Columbus.

This is obviously not likely, but a possibility. Could be something to watch at the least. Should find out the starter within the coming days. We have had a decent history with picking up transfers from native-Ohio kids.

I have been following Ohio State's QB battle closely and have an interesting take. Joe Burrow has talked about transferring if he does not win the job. Considering he will be a graduate transfer, he will be available to play immediately. Many think Dwayne Haskins is going to win the job considering he came in and led a comeback win vs Michigan. But Joe Burrow is a legit QB who looked the best in the spring game, and Ohio State's 3 QBs have been considered 3 of the top 6-7 QBs in the Big East.

Sooooo, if Joe Burrow transfers, I think we have a nice shot. Joe was recruited by Vince Marrow out of HS and is from SE Ohio. The other 2 schools that Burrow considered the most out of HS were WVU and ISU. WVU has Will Grier and ISU has a couple of good, young QBs. The KY state border is closer to his home than Columbus.

This is obviously not likely, but a possibility. Could be something to watch at the least. Should find out the starter within the coming days. We have had a decent history with picking up transfers from native-Ohio kids.

Mixed emotions about this, I know you have to get the best talent you can but still.

And if he looked the best in the spring game I doubt if he leaves his home state at this point.

And they could be telling he "looked the best" in the spring game until it is too late to transfer.

Last edited:
My question is how many open spots we have now? We should at least be down to 83. I gotta think we might try to pick up a few guys maybe at WR or LB? DT? I mean If someone is out there

We take him if we can get him. You'd feel bad for Terry of coarse, but that's what the other big boy schools do.

Haven't really followed the QB situation there much, but did read where Florida would be interested in Burrow because of the similar offenses.

Good conversation starter though, OP. Would be huge if we could bring in a QB like Burrow. Could make for a magical season if we can get a solid QB. But as stated, it's a long shot.

Taking a grad transfer is a risk, but sometimes you have to take the risk, UGA did and it ended up being one of the reasons Richt was fired. It also sends a message to the kids on your team you don't have confidence in them. But I think Stoops and staff sense 18 is the year to make a big splash with the biggest question mark is inexperience at QB. But if they guy is looking to transfer so he can play, he has to be all but promised the spot to get him because he isn't coming on the chance he can win the spot. I didn't think UK's qb position looked desperate in the spring game.

Reactions: jauk11
There is zero chance this happens. First, it takes up a scholly you might use somewhere else. Second, you would really piss off our other QBs. And third, he would have only the fall practice to learn the system and split reps with 2 other guys for 1 year of eligibility.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
There is zero chance this happens. First, it takes up a scholly you might use somewhere else. Second, you would really piss off our other QBs. And third, he would have only the fall practice to learn the system and split reps with 2 other guys for 1 year of eligibility.
Why worry about a scholarship you "might" use elsewhere between now & Dec? What if this could happen & "might" never does? If the current guys can't beat out this guy who say comes in in August with no knowledge of our O, I'll be happy he's here & could care less how the current guys feel.

I think it would be a reach, and it's almost like admitting that we've failed to develop any of the other QB enough that they can be trusted to start. I think long term would would be better off letting one of the guys that has 3 years left get the nod and let him grow into the job.

I agree with this assessment. Time to dance with the girl we brought, or at least the one we met by the bar, not the one stumbling out of the bathroom drunk. She's gonna pass out in the cab, and the girl we brought is not speaking to us again.

Reactions: mattrudd
Anyone else think Joe Burrow looks like a young Jim Bruer?

images

Why worry about a scholarship you "might" use elsewhere between now & Dec? What if this could happen & "might" never does? If the current guys can't beat out this guy who say comes in in August with no knowledge of our O, I'll be happy he's here & could care less how the current guys feel.

Until they both transfer out. How would you feel then?

Until they both transfer out. How would you feel then?
If this guy succeeds in 2018, I'll feel great. Wouldn't you? Why always worry about the future vs. the here & now?

Time to recruit for 2019+. If '18 is great & '19 sucks, better than so-so 18 & 19.

I think it would be a reach, and it's almost like admitting that we've failed to develop any of the other QB enough that they can be trusted to start. I think long term would would be better off letting one of the guys that has 3 years left get the nod and let him grow into the job.
It's always the future, not the here & now, right? I'd rather admit failure & react than let it just happen.

It's always the future, not the here & now, right? I'd rather admit failure & react than let it just happen.

I don't think we've failed yet, I think at least one of Wilson, Hoak or Clark will eventually emerge as a quality starting QB. While it's important to remember recruiting rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, all three of our scholarship quarterbacks were higher rated than Burrow, and Burrow has done nothing to prove he is any better if as good, unless you want to go all in based on a spring game performance. That's why I said it was a reach IMO to go after this guy.

I don't think we've failed yet, I think at least one of Wilson, Hoak or Clark will eventually emerge as a quality starting QB. While it's important to remember recruiting rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, all three of our scholarship quarterbacks were higher rated than Burrow, and Burrow has done nothing to prove he is any better if as good, unless you want to go all in based on a spring game performance. That's why I said it was a reach IMO to go after this guy.
Who said we've failed? I didn't. My response was to a hypothetical.

I'm just ready for us to have an SEC caliber quarterback that we haven't seen since the Woodson and Hartline eras. I really believe that between Hoak or Wilson, we will have found a guy who belongs and can win football games. It's been far to long to go this long without a really good QB.

I'm just ready for us to have an SEC caliber quarterback that we haven't seen since the Woodson and Hartline eras. I really believe that between Hoak or Wilson, we will have found a guy who belongs and can win football games. It's been far to long to go this long without a really good QB.

Two QBs with very good potential with three years to play (if we don't run one or both of them off) AND another with maybe even more potential with four years to play.

I think I would pass, although THIS YEAR is a critical year in our progress.

Smitty played with two bad shoulders, a knee torn all to hell, and a shredded hamstring... We absolutely have failed to develop any other QB enough that they can be trusted to start.

Of the 3 scholarship quarterbacks that are in the running only one, Hoak was here last year. All 3 have one more year in the system to develop before the season starts.

I’m from his hometown. He’s not coming here if he transfers. Look for Nebraska, Oklahoma State, absolutely possibly Tennessee. The rumor around town (from his mom) was Oklahoma State if he didn’t win the job. But we will see. He actually might go back to Athens and go to Ohio university. His dad coaches there.

I'm pleased with our qb. situation at this time, I'd pass.

What have you seen exactly that makes you "pleased"? Everyone agrees that QB is our biggest question mark, so I don't see how that is very pleasing... The past 6 seasons BBN tells each other that we will find a good solid QB and that the situation will be okay, then by midseason people are on here calling for the 3rd stringer to start. IF we can get a guy like Burrow, we take him.

What have you seen exactly that makes you "pleased"? Everyone agrees that QB is our biggest question mark, so I don't see how that is very pleasing... The past 6 seasons BBN tells each other that we will find a good solid QB and that the situation will be okay, then by midseason people are on here calling for the 3rd stringer to start. IF we can get a guy like Burrow, we take him.

"Pleased at this time."
That is subject to change after second fall scrimmage.

I'm pleased that we have THREE (or maybe four) QB talents that were four star or close talents that seem to have their heads on straight and are trying hard-----

AND a QB coach that I think is pretty good at his job.

And IF we could get one of Georgia's five star QB's we should take him too, and if that were to happen based on what I saw of them in the spring game then yes, it would PROBABLY be worth it. Who knows all about the situation in either case, might have just as good a chance there as at OSU.

I agree with Old Trainer. For some people, the grass always has to be greener on the other side of the fence. Since there hasn't been a correlation, I don't believe the fact that malcontents come onto this website every year to complain actually has anything to do with the direction of our football program or the play of particular UK players. We currently have a quarterback competition involving 3 guys who have been through UK's spring practice with Coach Hinshaw. All 3 were respected prospects when they graduated from high school, and all 3 have arm talent. Burrow isn't coming here anyway, so it's moot.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Won't matter who starts if our OL doesn't learn how to pass block. If they improve as much as they have in the past we will see Terry at QB, because he can scramble better than Hoak. If they DO learn to block, then Hoak is the starter. I fully expect the former, rather than the later.

Won't matter who starts if our OL doesn't learn how to pass block. If they improve as much as they have in the past we will see Terry at QB, because he can scramble better than Hoak. If they DO learn to block, then Hoak is the starter. I fully expect the former, rather than the later.
Don't always agree with you Pickle, but i think you nailed this one.

I too would pass. To go up a notch in the SEC a strong quarterback is a must but I think we have one or maybe several in the making. I feel things will shake out among the three candidates and one will emerge as a solid SEC caliber quarterback and wins will follow. The competition is healthy and all three should contribute over time.

Reactions: lz and Blue Decade
ADVERTISEMENT