ADVERTISEMENT

JMI needs to be stopped.

Allowing coaches to make appearances for the collective. Again with the collective as if there’s just one. Well here is Mark Stoops promoting the collective in an ad which KSR sheep lie and say he’s not allowed to do.

Lol i didn’t say anything about promoting i said make an appearance. The coaches and the players. Ksr is irrelevant to me

Lol i didn’t say anything about promoting i said make an appearance. The coaches and the players. Ksr is irrelevant to me
You didn’t see multiple coaches at the Bowling with Ballers NIL event? LOL. You do care about KSR, that’s where this lie came from and the reason you’re repeating it. Now you’re acting obtuse like you don’t see all these coaches at that NIL event for the Charities for Kentucky collective.

Allowing coaches to make appearances for the collective. Well here are a bunch of coaches making an appearance for the Charities for Kentucky collective at an NIL event. A real life approved by UK collective. Obtuse… OK, keep lying tho.

I saw two different events this past week where coaches were appearing. They can appear but not for free.

Just like this instance, people want for free what others paid potentially millions for

I don’t understand any of this stuff..

So the company that contacted with UK for exclusive rights to players…does not pay the players ANYTHING?

Reactions: catben
No. He's mad because he wants to interview him first. He can interview him over and over after the official partner gets the first opportunity.
Yes….KSR of course is known for its record breaking time at securing crucial interviews with college QBs. Makes total sense…..and I didn’t even think about that.

Posters dramatically talk about JMI (“they must be stopped”) like they are invading Poland. It sucks but Leary gets to do KSBar after one interview with JMI. Like I said, it sucks and UK won’t renew those terms again, but he’ll do the collective second.
If your account of how this will play out is correct, then I agree that, in the long run, this restriction is not that big of a deal. I hope that's the way it, in fact, plays out.

I'm curious about the JMI interview, too. Where does JMI post their player interviews? Maybe it's obvious to most everyone else, but I really don't know.

I'm curious about the JMI interview, too. Where does JMI post their player interviews? Maybe it's obvious to most everyone else, but I really don't know.
Good question. I think they rarely do out of season interviews (which is poor marketing if I’m right).

Matt not getting to go first is worse than the start of WW2 to him.
I agree with Matt's point. Irrespective of the KSR part, JMI, is exercising its contractual right to have the first interview of every player, but JMI negotiated that right with UK. SCOTUS affirmed that student athletes own their NIL rights, so UK no longer has standing to control this. They can threaten punitive action (edit:it against KY law to threaten or enact punitive action for a player exercising their NIL rights. I posted the link on a subsequent post), as far as playing time etc, but I would like to hear a legal opinion on that. The JMI contract with UK was signed when schools owned their players. That ship has sailed, so it is incumbent on the administration to renegotiate a contract that fits the new legal paradigm, otherwise they will have to continue with threats of repercussions to the players, that their peers at other schools do not have to deal with. This will make UK a less attractive place to play and when you add that to the fact that we have a below avg NIL component, well you get the picture.

Last edited:
Obvious that they are limiting “certain things”. LOL, since it’s so obvious, what exactly are they limiting?
They put pressure on the Mitch to stop the interview until they had their first "right". A right that was negotiated with UK and not the players, so UK really has no standing other than to pressure the players. They also refuse to allow the coaches to participate in NIL activities. For example, coaches at other schools (saban etc) allow dinners and meet and greets to be purchased where the proceeds go directly into the collective NIL pool, so they have more money to pay players. JMI nixed the coaches involvement, so we have less money which will make it more difficult to recruit and keep some of our players.

I agree with Matt's point. Irrespective of the KSR part, JMI, is exercising its contractual right to have the first interview of every player, but JMI negotiated that right with UK. SCOTUS affirmed that student athletes own their NIL rights, so UK no longer has standing to control this. They can threaten punitive action, as far as playing time etc, but I would like to hear a legal opinion on that. The JMI contract with UK was signed when schools owned their players. That ship has sailed, so it is incumbent on the administration to renegotiate a contract that fits the new legal paradigm, otherwise they will have to continue with threats of repercussions to the players, that their peers at other schools do not have to deal with. This will make UK a less attractive place to play and when you add that to the fact that we have a below avg NIL component, well you get the picture.
For starters, you may want to re-read the Supreme Court’s opinion in the Alston case. It had nothing to do with NIL.

That case was about NCAA rules limiting compensation that the schools provided directly to student athletes.

I don’t understand any of this stuff..

So the company that contacted with UK for exclusive rights to players…does not pay the players ANYTHING?
Correct. UK used to own the players' rights. Now they don't but they have a legacy contract where they still own the players' rights and JMI is enforcing it, rather than recognizing the paradigm has shifted. UK still has enough sway to tell the players not to do the interview, but they have no legal way of preventing it. Eventually, a player is going to do the interview, get paid and that will force UK and JMI into an uncomfortable position of breach of contract. Mitch doesn't want that because he knows he has no leverage anymore and JMI will get that lest 7-8 years of their multi-media contract at a reduced rate.

Reactions: catburglar
For starters, you may want to re-read the Supreme Court’s opinion in the Alston case. It had nothing to do with NIL.

That case was about NCAA rules limiting compensation that the schools provided directly to student athletes.

Fair enough, but I think we can all agree, especially with Kavanaugh's comments, that the schools know they are losing any cases that come before them regarding this issue. When this JMI contract was signed UK essentially owned the players NIL and now they don't. It may not have been spelled out in the Alston decision, but the NCAA knows what's going to happen if they try to enforce prior restraints on players. Mitch is hanging on to this JMI contract for dear life, but I suspect at some point a player will force their hand by refusing to bow to pressure to comply.

If your account of how this will play out is correct, then I agree that, in the long run, this restriction is not that big of a deal. I hope that's the way it, in fact, plays out.

They own the rights to the UK sports network, so it would likely be there.

Fair enough, but I think we can all agree, especially with Kavanaugh's comments, that the schools know they are losing any cases that come before them regarding this issue. When this JMI contract was signed UK essentially owned the players NIL and now they don't. It may not have been spelled out in the Alston decision, but the NCAA knows what's going to happen if they try to enforce prior restraints on players. Mitch is hanging on to this JMI contract for dear life, but I suspect at some point a player will force their hand by refusing to bow to pressure to comply.
How schools handle NIL is driven by their respective state laws, not by collective action at the NCAA level. If UK unilaterally chooses to handle NIL in a way consistent with state law, then the Alston case has zero bearing on UK.

Alston was an anti-trust issue. If UK is making a decision on their own, then there can be no anti-trust issue because there is no collusion with other schools.

I’d also add, that UK’s interview availability policy for players has been around for almost 20 years and has nothing to do with NIL and has nothing to do with JMI. It has to do with helping players manage requests from the media. I’d suspect Jones is well aware of that policy.

They put pressure on the Mitch to stop the interview until they had their first "right". A right that was negotiated with UK and not the players, so UK really has no standing other than to pressure the players. They also refuse to allow the coaches to participate in NIL activities. For example, coaches at other schools (saban etc) allow dinners and meet and greets to be purchased where the proceeds go directly into the collective NIL pool, so they have more money to pay players. JMI nixed the coaches involvement, so we have less money which will make it more difficult to recruit and keep some of our players.

I know that’s the lie you got from Matt Jones but it isn’t true. Coaches have absolutely participated in NIL activities. Again, despite the lie claiming they don’t allow coaches to participate in NIL activities, they absolutely have and do.

Last edited:
I mean, here is this janky podcast that runs maybe once a week for only 30 min
JMI prevents Leary from being heard by hundreds of thousands to have him first go on this to be heard by dozens?

Which interview would increase Leary's NIL profile, his earning ability?

When their lies are disproven they move on to ignorant nonsense like this. We have to pretend like he can never be interviewed again. “JMI prevents Leary from being heard by hundreds of thousands… LOL, OK. 🤡

Forget Matt Jones

Matt Brown is a national writer on all aspects of college sports. If he reacts with amazement and disgust about how UKs NIL operation is going, believe that it matters.

While true his conclusion is also based on the false premise in Jones particular tweet. No one is stopping him from interviewing Leary. He will just be second.

The premise was they were blocking it altogether, which was not true

I mean, here is this janky podcast that runs maybe once a week for only 30 min
JMI prevents Leary from being heard by hundreds of thousands to have him first go on this to be heard by dozens?

Which interview would increase Leary's NIL profile, his earning ability?

Jones can still interview him. No one was negatively impacted other than Jones, who didn't get to increase ratings for what was sure to be a dismal basketball pregame show

How schools handle NIL is driven by their respective state laws, not by collective action at the NCAA level. If UK unilaterally chooses to handle NIL in a way consistent with state law, then the Alston case has zero bearing on UK.

Alston was an anti-trust issue. If UK is making a decision on their own, then there can be no anti-trust issue because there is no collusion with other schools.

I’d also add, that UK’s interview availability policy for players has been around for almost 20 years and has nothing to do with NIL and has nothing to do with JMI. It has to do with helping players manage requests from the media. I’d suspect Jones is well aware of that policy.
UK's media policy did not prevent earning income before now. A lot has changed that makes previous polices outdated.

From KY's NIL legislation:
  1. An institution or an association shall not prohibit a student-athlete from lawfully earning compensation through a name, image, and likeness agreement with a third party or from obtaining an athlete agent and shall not penalize an athlete for doing so.

It would seem their JMI agreement conflicts with state law.

Last edited:
UK's media policy did not prevent earning income before now. A lot has changed that makes previous polices outdated.

1. An institution or an association shall not prohibit a student-athlete from lawfully earning compensation through a name, image, and likeness agreement with a third party or from obtaining an athlete agent and shall not penalize an athlete for doing so.

It would seem except for the fact that you are spewing lies and JMI doesn’t prevent players from earning NIL. No matter how many times you’re proven wrong you stiill choose to lie.

• Haha
Reactions: catben

Not really. They own the rights to the use of UK's logos, they can't tell a student athlete what to do or what jobs they can take. They can only limit the use of UK's logo where and athlete appears in advertising. Nothing in state law says the owner of the rights has to provide them for free to an athlete, nor should it.

This issue has been beaten to death here and elsewhere, and Jones knows it is ripe for clicks. But all this means is that Jones couldn't get the guest he wanted today. There are two sides to everything, and I would not read anything into this without knowing what really happened.
Clicks doesn't get Jones anything on Twitter so this is a bad take.

Reactions: seccats04
Clicks doesn't get Jones anything on Twitter so this is a bad take.

Then you don't understand how social media works.

Noone is prohibiting. The interview will go forward. Just a day or two later.

Btw noone is stopping the kid. The stop is on Jones because of the third party contracts.

He's trying to get for free what cost others millions. The very same millions that are paying the coaching salaries.

A media interview is not a NIL agreement. NIL agreements are put into place for activities that constitute commercial speech.

Further, media availability is handled through UK, not JMI. And lastly, UK cannot prohibit athletes from granting media interviews. They can ask athletes to comply, and the athletes almost always choose to do so because it keeps them from getting hounded. Sports media outlets also usually comply because they want to be a good partner with the university, and because they don’t want to risk their media credentials (revoking a credential is the only power UK has in this).

At the end of the day though, Jones will be able to interview Leary at some point and nothing will be lost. It makes no sense for Jones to be complaining about this unless he simply has a bone to pick.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
These KSR sheep will tell lies that hurt UK to forward Matt Jones agenda. The are fake UK fans and KSR comes first for them.

These KSR sheep will tell lies that hurt UK to forward Matt Jones agenda. The are fake UK fans and KSR comes first for them.
The difference between me and you lil bro is you have clear hatred for an individual which is clouding your judgment. It has nothing to do with sheep. This isn’t politics and it isn’t about an agenda. Nothing about any agenda helps ME. You have got to be the single most ignorant individual on this platform. You can barely type. Why do you feel like you know anything about this situation? This situation requires brain power. You struggle to read and type. This is like taking advice on shampooing from a person who doesn’t shower.

I know exactly what he said
So then what is the point in arguing with a person who’s spending his own money trying to promote the program and players? We know what the situation is already. He told everyone. They weren’t helpful and most of the time they were actively trying to keep him from making money back.

The difference between me and you lil bro is you have clear hatred for an individual which is clouding your judgment. It has nothing to do with sheep. This isn’t politics and it isn’t about an agenda. Nothing about any agenda helps ME. You have got to be the single most ignorant individual on this platform. You can barely type. Why do you feel like you know anything about this situation? This situation requires brain power. You struggle to read and type. This is like taking advice on shampooing from a person who doesn’t shower.
I have a hatred for lowlife liars. He’s not some innocent radio host, he made a living stealing others info and claiming it as his own. Now he has beef with UK and JMI because he’s is no longer being allowed to freeload off the program. He put out this false narrative that hurts UK and all the fraudulent UK fans repeat it and promote it even tho it hurts UK. All of this NIL BS comes from Matt Jones, no other UK reporter.

Real boosters who give to the program, have collectives, and do NIL work told you cult members that Matt Jones claims were inaccurate. Said the coaches can and do work with collectives and make appearances, you sheep still choose to lie. They posted a video of UK coaches at an NIL event, you frauds still choose to lie.

This ain’t some Matt Jones vendetta, it’s about him and his cult lying and pushing a false narrative that UK doesn’t support NIL. That false narrative hurts UK and you clowns still continue to forward it. Keep deflecting, the issue is your lies.

I have a hatred for lowlife liars. He’s not some innocent radio host, he made a living stealing others info and claiming it as his own. Now he has beef with UK and JMI because he’s is no longer being allowed to freeload off the program. He put out this false narrative that hurts UK and all the fraudulent UK fans repeat it and promote it even tho it hurts UK. All of this NIL BS comes from Matt Jones, no other UK reporter.

Real boosters who give to the program, have collectives, and do NIL work told you cult members that Matt Jones claims were inaccurate. Said the coaches can and do work with collectives and make appearances, you sheep still choose to lie. They posted a video of UK coaches at an NIL event, you frauds still choose to lie.

This ain’t some Matt Jones vendetta, it’s about him and his cult lying and pushing a false narrative that UK doesn’t support NIL. That false narrative hurts UK and you clowns still continue to forward it. Keep deflecting, the issue is your lies.
It clearly is a matt jones vendetta lmfao I mean look at the post you just made.

Regardless, CMS is just lying I suppose and so are people who have donated 6 figures for NIL deals. Makes sense that only Magilla Gorilla from the free board would know what’s going on here lmfao.

Reactions: Greezy Kreek
So then what is the point in arguing with a person who’s spending his own money trying to promote the program and players? We know what the situation is already. He told everyone. They weren’t helpful and most of the time they were actively trying to keep him from making money back.
I'm not arguing with him at all. In the past jR had mentioned the JMI contract being a problem. He started a threD today saying his sources which are within the team says that isn't the case any longer. Alot is perspective. I was just passing on what Rowland says he's hearing.

I'm not arguing with him at all. In the past jR had mentioned the JMI contract being a problem. He started a threD today saying his sources which are within the team says that isn't the case any longer. Alot is perspective. I was just passing on what Rowland says he's hearing.
No offense to Justin but he replied to me specifically the last time this happened and said that his sources are from the football staff and Matt Jones is talking to Vince Marrow so either Vince is lying or Justin is lying or being lied to at this point.

LOL at this lie KSR sheep keep spewing. They’re multi media marketing company. They don’t give a damn about NIL. It’s has nothing to do with the way they make money or do business. Matt Jones is just mad because they don’t let him freeload.

In what way do they limit NIL? Specifically. BTW, you’re free to give to any of the collectives, JMI will not beat you up or whatever it is you think they do.

Our largest NIL donor has said on HOB that he was prevented from spending a lot more money because of JMI. They wouldn't let Levis appear in any UK uniform, not with any bowl trophies etc.
They are a huge hindrance regardless of what your beef with Matt Jones is.

No offense to Justin but he replied to me specifically the last time this happened and said that his sources are from the football staff and Matt Jones is talking to Vince Marrow so either Vince is lying or Justin is lying or being lied to at this point.

Rowland also stuck by his source that Vince was going to UL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT