ADVERTISEMENT

JJ Weaver is coming back for 1 more season!!!

I like JJ and all....but he's been here since 2019 and put up a 6.5 sack season.....only 3 of which were in SEC play. I guess it's good to have him but at the same time his getting so many snaps is partly the problem on defense the past two seasons.....he has a pretty awful pass rush for a Jack Lber.

I am hoping to see Fearby on pass rush situations and JJ to see less snaps to be honest.

I wish the coaching staff would try J.J. at the SAM spot whenever we aren't using our nickel package and see what some of the younger guys can do at JACK. The SAM isn't the primary pass rusher and that spot might be a better fit for J.J. since the pass rush is not one of his strengths. He might do well in coverage with his length. But do we actually play the 3-4 enough these days to give him adequate playing time if he moved to that spot? It seems we have a nickel in more than a SAM for the past couple of years.

Big time for Kentucky in my opinion. JJ loves playing here and is going to do everything in his power to help us be the best we can. Can’t ever ask for more than that from a player. I’m betting that he’s going to work harder than he ever has in his life to show the scouts everything he can do next season and that’s only going to help us more. I agree that I’d also love to see some other players as well, but JJ coming back is fantastic news for our program.

I like JJ and all....but he's been here since 2019 and put up a 6.5 sack season.....only 3 of which were in SEC play. I guess it's good to have him but at the same time his getting so many snaps is partly the problem on defense the past two seasons.....he has a pretty awful pass rush for a Jack Lber.

I am hoping to see Fearby on pass rush situations and JJ to see less snaps to be honest.
LOL, what a take.

Reactions: Padsfs07
Getting JJ back is a good thing for two big reasons:

1) Must have depth in the SEC because teams inevitably deal with injuries.
2) it’s great for program culture if grinders get rewarded with NIL. If it’s just a handful of stars then the inequality can quickly lead to bad work ethic and morale.

Now, this assumes Weaver was paid but not overpaid since we have no insight into those matters.

Yeah but who knows what momentum he could pick up off that performance against UL. That and a final year of motivation to show what he can do could make him a big help. I think he has skills just needs a better motor and a little more nasty in his game.

not too many can get pass rush with the way our defense is set up. zone defense and 10 yards off the ball. We play in front and so do the pass rushers- to this point.

I'm absolutely DISGUSTED by the disrespect JJ has received in this thread. We were desperate for LB depth, leadership and two years ago he was being raved about do to his pass rushing. That obviously fell off this year and I've read that he was banged up playing along with greatly inexperienced LB's with the loss of Sweat, Jones and Wright although Wallace had a great season. His production could have also been affected by Rogers going to Auburn.

That is a LOT of change and we already don't run a very pass rush friendly defense as much as we use the 3-3-5.

So I just wanted to say that I believe that the hate is almost completely unjust and not fair to JJ who we should be ECSTATIC to have back.

JJ is undervalued by a lot of ppl. He plays his assignment really well. More pass rush production would be nice but he does more than shows up on a stat sheet or highlight reel
Our scheme will never generate a pash rush without an athlete like Allen. We don’t twist, stunt or attempt to confuse. We simply go one on one. Stay in your rush lane and get me a sack. That requires exceptional athletes.

Good depth. It’s up to the coaching staff to best utilize him in schemes.

Good depth. It’s up to the coaching staff to best utilize him in schemes.
Yeah....but we all know JJ is going to start and not be a depth guy. There was a reasonable case to play Keaton Wade more snaps last year and it didn't happen. If we played him on run downs a bit and got him off the field on pass downs....I would be more positive....but I don't see this staff doing that.

And fans will point to we brought back like 7 starters on defense as a sign that next year will be improved.....but I don't see playing JJ Weaver and Zion Childress a ton of snaps as great ideas. Both are very flawed players with years to improve on their weaknesses....and simply not up to it.

Our scheme will never generate a pash rush without an athlete like Allen. We don’t twist, stunt or attempt to confuse. We simply go one on one. Stay in your rush lane and get me a sack. That requires exceptional athletes.
Boogie Watson, Josh Paschal, Calvin Taylor, etc...were decent pass rushers aside from elite talent like Josh Allen. But the edge rushers in any defense are where your sacks come from....and JJ has been a disappointment to that end.

I think it sucked that Wade left and I also think it's time for Fearby to get 70% of Jack Lber snaps on passing downs. Maybe see what BRob can do if he hasn't out grown Jack Lber yet. Getting 3 sacks and not a ton of pressures in SEC play ain't going to work...and JJ has had three years since he hurt his knee in 2019....just feels like he ain't got it.

Reactions: hmt5000
Boogie Watson, Josh Paschal, Calvin Taylor, etc...were decent pass rushers aside from elite talent like Josh Allen. But the edge rushers in any defense are where your sacks come from....and JJ has been a disappointment to that end.

I think it sucked that Wade left and I also think it's time for Fearby to get 70% of Jack Lber snaps on passing downs. Maybe see what BRob can do if he hasn't out grown Jack Lber yet. Getting 3 sacks and not a ton of pressures in SEC play ain't going to work...and JJ has had three years since he hurt his knee in 2019....just feels like he ain't got it.
Excited to see JJ one more year in Blue!
Hopefully he can build on the UL game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT