ADVERTISEMENT

Jemele Hill suspended by ESPN

I fully support Jamelle Hill personally and I have the utmost respect for her courage to be outspoken on her platform!! I also agree that ESPN as a private company has the right to discipline or fire her if they deem her actions to be contradictory to their company mission. So I honestly feel both parties in this case. If I owned a company I wouldn't continue to pay someone and provide a platform to someone whose very speech is hurting my company. But it's because Jamelle knowingly risked it all to speak out, I applaud her!!! I don't know how this national convo became about the flag and anthem. It was never and isn't about the anthem or flag!!! It's a peaceful protest advocating for better treatment of a group of people that reside in the best country in the world. It's never been about the flag or anthem. However if one wishes to have that discussion, it can be had. The Star Spangled Banner is a poem that's become the national anthem but the second and third verses speak of slavery. For the group of people who were enslaved this song may not be worth celebrating. But to me that's another entire different discussion. We SHOULD be diacussing the disproportionate ethnic make-up of our prison population and police brutality on the streets of this great country.

Reactions: jt drowns
"It's a peaceful protest advocating for better treatment of a group of people that reside in the best country in the world. It's never been about the flag or anthem."

As long as you control the context, this is a compelling argument to make. But perhaps the prison population is so disproportionate because, wait for it, minorities break the law and have no regard for it on a more regular scale. The fellas Kapernick is kneeling for would shoot him dead and take his shoes if given the chance because they do it EVERYDAY in cities of America. That more often is the norm in the streets, not police brutality.

Not to get into too sensitive of a discussion, but what I have read about the other verses in the anthem referencing slavery were Keys unhappiness with slaves fighting on the side of the British? Whether you think right or wrong I don't blame him. Men were losing their lives. It is my understanding that Key while probably a racist as many were in that day, did advocate for freeing slaves to return to Africa. Is Jemele Hill really being brave? She knows there won't be any serious repurcussions for her actions. She has the support of the media which is undoubtedly pro- liberal. Even if ESPN were to fire her she would get a job the next day from some liberal rag. Brave to me, would be a black person honestly questioning what the point is of these protests. And perhaps offering some real solutions to the problems from both points of view.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatwelder
I fully support Jamelle Hill personally and I have the utmost respect for her courage to be outspoken on her platform!! I also agree that ESPN as a private company has the right to discipline or fire her if they deem her actions to be contradictory to their company mission. So I honestly feel both parties in this case. If I owned a company I wouldn't continue to pay someone and provide a platform to someone whose very speech is hurting my company. But it's because Jamelle knowingly risked it all to speak out, I applaud her!!! I don't know how this national convo became about the flag and anthem. It was never and isn't about the anthem or flag!!! It's a peaceful protest advocating for better treatment of a group of people that reside in the best country in the world. It's never been about the flag or anthem. However if one wishes to have that discussion, it can be had. The Star Spangled Banner is a poem that's become the national anthem but the second and third verses speak of slavery. For the group of people who were enslaved this song may not be worth celebrating. But to me that's another entire different discussion. We SHOULD be diacussing the disproportionate ethnic make-up of our prison population and police brutality on the streets of this great country.
You lost me after "i fully support jamele hill"

I can't stand Jemele Hill because she hates UK and generally sucks

I am not a football guy. She really said Warren Moon was better than Peyton?

That is indefensible.

Reactions: screwduke1
The subtle racism in this thread amazes me.
Not at all attempting to be racist - please understand that just because someone disagrees with you - even on issues of race - it doesn't make them a racist. I do not support some crazy white supremacist group - nor do I support Hill. Are they equivalent - probably not - but they do not have to be? Many would argue she has far more power being on a national cable outlet.

Please stop seeing disagreement as an attack - and you will be far better off.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
She's awful for this. It genuinely disgusts me how she paints every picture with racially discriminatory undertones. Doesn't matter what it is. She has a unique ability to make every topic virtually imaginable to mankind into a racial discussion.

This was well, well overdue.

I hate how he calls himself a reverend. If he is a reverend then I’m jesus Christ

In the literal sense of it, he is very likely a reverend. His practices are pretty impractical, and a nuisance at times, but it doesn't take much to meet the qualifications of being a reverend.

Reactions: GhostVol
Add to this the suspension she got a few years ago for comparing Boston Celtics fans to Hitler supporters.

Yet another person who thinks their free speech should come with no consequences.

And, it seems that really there are no consequences to speak of. She should have lost her job by now. I wonder why she has not? Must know someone high up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT