ADVERTISEMENT

Jemele Hill suspended by ESPN

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
Took to Twitter to advocate fans boycotting advertisers of Cowboy games, following Jerry Jones statement.

Guess she really does think sports fans give a rat's ass what she thinks about politics.

Took to Twitter to advocate fans boycotting advertisers of Cowboy games, following Jerry Jones statement.

Guess she really does think sports fans give a rat's ass what she thinks about politics.

Problem with that is they have same sponsors. Dr Pepper is huge ESPN sponsor. Look at Larry Culpepper and his goofy commercials!!!!!

If what I read is what she said, I don’t think she said anything very offensive, BUT telling fans to boycott their sponsors, when ESPN HAS NFL GAMES ON ITS NETWORK was pretty stupid. It’s not about voicing your opinion and having a right to protest. You can’t say “boycott the company I work for” (even though I clearly know that’s not what she said directly) and then say “I have a right to an opinion”. Next up they’ll all be called racists and bigots for suspending her even though I think they have the right considering it could hurt their business.

Look, you have a right to free speech. But that doesn’t mean a company has to keep you if they disagree. People should be more aware.

I'm sure you were all for Pence's stunt though.

Keep politics out of sports!...unless I agree with those politics.

People are such snowflakes and want to live in their little bubbles where nobody has a differing opinion, and the President is the worst offender.

So she used her celebrity status, built from her sports "news" job, to encourage sports fans to not attend the sporting events which she is supposed to talk about. Yes, that sounds like reason for suspension.

If she had said boycott some movie, or Walmart, or ...., then that would be ok. But she can't be telling people to boycott the product she is trying to "sell".

Reactions: topps coach
So she used her celebrity status, built from her sports "news" job, to encourage sports fans to not attend the sporting events which she is supposed to talk about. Yes, that sounds like reason for suspension.

If she had said boycott some movie, or Walmart, or ...., then that would be ok. But she can't be telling people to boycott the product she is trying to "sell".
Actually, from what i understand, she advocated boycotting the advertisers, not the team. I guess it could, in a sense, be the same thing

Truth.

The people who don't mind ESPN probably lean left or don't care about politics. The people who complain about ESPN likely lean right. The same people who bitch about ESPN likely would love it if FS1 turned into Fox News Sports, but the people who like ESPN would bitch about it to high heaven.

Basically, when it comes to politics in sports, it's just like you said "Stick to sports, unless of course your political views match mine. Then, I don't care."

People are such snowflakes and want to live in their little bubbles where nobody has a differing opinion, and the President is the worst offender.

How the hell could you possibly be "sure" what I or anyone else on this board thought about what Pence did?

Truth.

The people who don't mind ESPN probably lean left or don't care about politics. The people who complain about ESPN likely lean right. The same people who bitch about ESPN likely would love it if FS1 turned into Fox News Sports, but the people who like ESPN would bitch about it to high heaven.

Basically, when it comes to politics in sports, it's just like you said "Stick to sports, unless of course your political views match mine. Then, I don't care."

Noticeably you have to pick a hypothetical (in bold) that will never happen (see Shilling who was nipped in the bud) to excuse something that is happening today en masse. There is no "both sides" here to yell about.

She should be fired for being stupid. Talking boycotting major sponsors is just mindblowingly dumb.

It's ok for NFL players to disrespect our national anthem but wrong for the VP to show his disdain toward their actions. Now tell me who the snowflakes is.

These people are on a slippery slope... they want all rights with zero accountability. No balance or sense to the way they think or operate. As far as her as an individual - she wants to be provocative and important, but she is just bad. Her biggest problem is that she is incredibly unlikable and very limited in her viewpoints and analysis (If she cannot pass it through the prism of racism - or find victimhood in an issue - she isn't able to contribute to the subject matter). She is a racist in the very sense that she sees EVERYTHING through race and race only first and foremost... and is one-sided in that.

ESPN - they are going to end up completely screwed by trying to keep these people happy - by trying to participate politically via sports and by being on the wrong side of this paranoia.

Anyone with the money and discipline to function as just a sports network could undermine ESPN very quickly.

Oh - and I am loving how progressives are trying to reclaim the term snowflake and turn in on others... lol... sorry... progressives OWN that term all to themselves.

Situations like this are why the internet and social media can suck in this era.

If it weren't for Twitter, Hill and Smith would just be goofy SportsCenter hosts and we wouldn't know/care for their politics. Curt Schilling and others would not have faced "social media fury" for being a conservative as well.

Social Media is a good way to share opinions and get your message out there, but it really has created a monster of too much information about people we do not need.

Poor baby, biggest snowflake of all

just ask Curt Schilling

the small minded are thinking this has something to actually do with her politics.

She advocated directly hurting her employer who pays millions to the NFL for the right to show the games. You don't think the NFL was going to call ESPN and tell them to get that nut off the air trying to cost us advertisers?

Have any of these players took to the media to explain what exactly they are protesting? I think the overwhelming majority of them are just bowing to peer pressure. Did any of them have misgivings about signing a multi-million dollar contract? A country that makes that possible, and elected a black president TWICE really deserves to be protested?

White people mad again online.

0380568_PE555467_S5_zpsfti7ko4o.jpg

I don’t know who you’re responding to specifically but if it’s me, I didn’t like pence doing that either. He planned it from the beginning so why waste time and money to get attention? People can have opinions that aren’t all for or against one side politically. But this conversation isn’t about him. It’s about Jamelle Hill.

If what I read is what she said, I don’t think she said anything very offensive, BUT telling fans to boycott their sponsors, when ESPN HAS NFL GAMES ON ITS NETWORK was pretty stupid. It’s not about voicing your opinion and having a right to protest. You can’t say “boycott the company I work for” (even though I clearly know that’s not what she said directly) and then say “I have a right to an opinion”. Next up they’ll all be called racists and bigots for suspending her even though I think they have the right considering it could hurt their business.

Look, you have a right to free speech. But that doesn’t mean a company has to keep you if they disagree. People should be more aware.
You have a right to free speech as a "citizen". You do not necessarily have the right to free speech as an employee, especially when certain types of speech are expressly prohibited in your contract or in corporate policy. ESPN has this language in its contract with Ms. Hill and I assume most other on-air personalities. They chose not to enforce it when it came to her criticism of the President, but apparently they *are* choosing to enforce it when it may interfere with their advertising revenue.

An employee cannot say whatever they want, to whomever they want, especially in public forums, and expect no consequences. It is quite common for private companies to have language in employment policies and procedures against these things. Speech or actions that can legally be construed as "bringing embarrassment" or that otherwise negatively impact the "reputation" of the organization are actionable.

Of course, disciplinary actions against such speech can always be argued in court.

She should've been fired right after she said that Warren Moon was a better NFL QB than Peyton Manning. That's like the equivalent of me saying that Christian Laetnner was a better basketball player than LeBron James. No one that idiotic or racist belongs on the air.

She thought since she is a black female that there are no consequences. Wrong. She should've been fired for her Trump comment. If the roles were reversed she would've been.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
She's an activist. That's the problem with the left, there is no "both sides". Conservative journalist, well, you never know who they even are. Liberal journalist are not journalist at all, they're activist, just like her.

That's why Jones has a sports / political show.
That's why ESPN has turned into an alt left political network.
That's why CNN has turned into a social justice network employing people like Angela Rye.

To a liberal, a salt/pepper shaker needs a third jar of social justice. It infects everything they do.

You can be a conservative and still prefer ideology be kept out of other conversations. Liberal fanatics just can't do it.

ADVERTISEMENT