ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff and Pope

Dec 12, 2023
Jeff Shepperd knew the ins and outs...details of this team way better than the rest of us. At the least, he had Reed keeping him informed on players etc. I'd say his old buddy the new head coach, has a pretty good feel for who he wants around and who he definitely does not. I liked Burks and was hoping he'd stay but I'll trust coach on this one and see how it works out.

A couple of players transferring who seemed like they might be better in a different system than Cal’s doesn’t make me panic yet about Pope’s recruiting ability, but I wouldn’t necessarily assume that it’s because he’s showing them the door either. Throwing in that you suspect it’s essentially because Reed said they weren’t a good fit takes this straight into conspiracy territory.

A couple of players transferring who seemed like they might be better in a different system than Cal’s doesn’t make me panic yet about Pope’s recruiting ability, but I wouldn’t necessarily assume that it’s because he’s showing them the door either. Throwing in that you suspect it’s essentially because Reed said they weren’t a good fit takes this straight into conspiracy territory.
Conspiracy? To do what? If you call someone to see if they want to go to lunch is that a conspiracy, too?

I highly doubt Pope showed the door to any of our players that hit the portal.

Could be any of the things mentioned here except a conspiracy theory.

Might not have been "recruiting them" to stay, even if they weren't shown the door. Might not have prioritized them considering most were likely to transfer anyway. Doesn't matter who's right. Doesn't matter who's wrong.

I highly doubt Pope showed the door to any of our players that hit the portal.

I doubt that too. But I don’t doubt he made it clear to them that you’re about this program and it’s success first or you can take a hike.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
No, not even close. It's not a conspiracy theory to acknowledge that Jeff and Mark are friends and that Reid likely discussed the team with his dad. Wow! To turn that into me saying it's a conspiracy is just classic of some of the ridiculous stuff that gets posted on here by a few members. Just take my work for it that I was not and am not implying any kind of conspiracy, in any way and please take your meds. Lol!

I wouldn’t think Jeff, Reed, and Pope are spending any time together right now. I’m guessing the Sheppards are on cloud 9 about Reed and their thoughts aren’t on UK / Mark Pope at this time. With the amount of money that family will soon have they may be ‘former’ Kentuckians while they follow Reed around the country to follow his new career. They will have the means to step up their life style now.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I’m guessing that if any of the former players expressed a burning desire to come back, he’d let them. NIL is the other factor.

I doubt that too. But I don’t doubt he made it clear to them that you’re about this program and it’s success first or you can take a hike.
Cal is the one and done king. It worked until the transfer and portal whores were allowed to move and never worry about conferences or getting an education. That was the start of Cals downfall.

Reactions: KMKAT
I wouldn’t think Jeff, Reed, and Pope are spending any time together right now. I’m guessing the Sheppards are on cloud 9 about Reed and their thoughts aren’t on UK / Mark Pope at this time. With the amount of money that family will soon have they may be ‘former’ Kentuckians while they follow Reed around the country to follow his new career. They will have the means to step up their life style now.
I don’t blame Reed for chasing his dream but it’s gonna be very difficult for him to thrive in the nba. I just don’t see him having a good lengthy career and will be exposed early.

Pope would of taken any of the McDonalds all Americans if they wanted to stay. This is a new era of basketball. Players will go where the money is. Anthony Edwards (before NIL) committed to a mediocre Georgia team and still was the #1 pick and now an NBA all star. You don't have to go to Kentucky, Duke, UNC, or Kansas to get to the league. With NIL players will follow the money.

Reactions: clifm
Anyone who is/was a UK fan and was paying attention to the last few years of Cal could see this coming a mile away. We were going to have to rebuild from the ground up once Cal left. Cal believes he and his players first approach was bigger than the UK brand(and as far as the players on hand he was correct) Considering the real available options I am satisfied with Pope.

The culture of UK basketball will change(probably for the better overall) but the transition period will be dicey for a year or maybe two. What can Pope put together for year one? Would you take 18 and 13 right now? I probably would. How many scholarship players will we have on the roster when the season starts? Any number over 9 is likely to be as good as it gets.

Where we go in year 2 will tell us much of what we want to know about the Pope era. I am glad Cal is gone, he won a title and had a good 5 or 6 years overall. He under achieved based on the talent he had and the breaks in the NCAAT over the years. He left the program in worse shape than he found it(saying a lot since he followed 2 years of Billy G)

Pope will put an entertaining style of basketball on the floor(hopefully somewhat like the 91/92 team. I doubt that KU will put up 150 on us but we will take some lumps. I am ready to go along for the ride and hope that I am still around to see us return to being what we want UK basketball to be

Cal is the one and done king. It worked until the transfer and portal whores were allowed to move and never worry about conferences or getting an education. That was the start of Cals downfall.
Cal thought he could merge OAD and NIL into a system he could corner the market with. It blew up in his face

Last edited:
I wouldn’t think Jeff, Reed, and Pope are spending any time together right now. I’m guessing the Sheppards are on cloud 9 about Reed and their thoughts aren’t on UK / Mark Pope at this time.
They are UK fans and I'm sure both are capable of being elated over their son and still being UK fans. If they're still UK fans then they're interested in UK / Mark Pope.

Could be any of the things mentioned here except a conspiracy theory.

Might not have been "recruiting them" to stay, even if they weren't shown the door. Might not have prioritized them considering most were likely to transfer anyway. Doesn't matter who's right. Doesn't matter who's wrong.

You're wrong....

See, it doesn't matter... 😁 (I HAD to test it...)

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT