ADVERTISEMENT

Jayden Quaintance’s Dad’s Tweet…

Ah the good ole parental gatekeeper. Lol
I think it's just due diligence. Kids are impressionable. Whether he's talking about Cal or another coach, it's easy for selfish coaches to plant BS seeds that come to fruition against the kid's best interest. Wanting to be aware of who is talking to your kids and how in today's digital age isn't gatekeeping, IMO, it's responsible parenting.

I could see it being Cal assuming that he can talk to the kid because of the existing relationship. I could see it being Pope since he doesn't quite have that rapport with the parent, or another coach altogether.

Reading the tweets that were liked, it does seem as though Cal is the guilty party here. Liking tweets favorable to UK vs. favorable to AR.

Ah the good ole parental gatekeeper. Lol
Yeah, that could be a red flag. I've known a few who were overbearing and controlling with their children. If we had a better explanation, we could decipher this. Otherwise, it's hard to tell. I would think it wouldn't be about Calipari OR Pope. He committed to Cal and UK, so he's been in touch with Cal already. He was committed to UK, so I would think Pope would be expected to reach out. It may be someone else altogether.

So it's not manly to tweet? Got it. Even though I'm a grown man and only read stuff on X, never post on it, glad to know I'd lose my man card if I did.

It's a joke dude.

My point is no one really cares about what random people tweet about (except for Rafters)

It's a joke dude.

My point is no one really cares about what random people tweet about (except for Rafters)
That's not true at all, lots of people care about things posted on X. And we cared because it was a Recruits father who obviously had an issue with some coach or agent somewhere and we certainly want to make sure Pope isn't getting off to a bad start.

Everyone is saying his parents need to stay out of it are crazy. The kid is 16 years old. I have an 18-year-old kid right now going through the recruiting process for baseball. There’s no way in hell my son could do this without his mom and I. If you think his parents need to stop helicopter parenting and stay out of it you have no idea what this process is like.
Good luck. I never realized how unethical many coaches are until my son went through it as well. Don’t mean to butt in but my advice would be talk to as many players as possible to find out as much as possible about how the coaches operate day to day. You would be surprised how unorganized some programs are. They all present this well oiled machine but there are some messed up situations out there with coaches. Good luck.

Last edited:
Good luck. I never realized how unethical many coaches are until my son went through it as well. Don’t mean to but in but my advice would be talk to as many players as possible to find out as much as possible about how the coaches operate day to day. You would be surprised how unorganized some programs are. They all present this well oiled machine but there are some messed up situations out there with coaches. Good luck.
Yeah, it’s really crazy. Last summer there were scouts and coaches at games that wouldn’t even talk to my son. He was only getting looked at by division 2 and 3 teams. Every D1 coach was saying he’s got good command and good stuff, but his fastball isn’t D1 level. Since last summer, he’s put on 15 pounds and added 7 MPH to his fastball. All of a sudden, all those scouts and coaches are his best friends. It’s crazy.

IMO, The family should have proactively put out a statement on all social media when Cow baled, to let EVERYONE know that all communication needs to go thru Lavar, I mean Haminn Q!!!!!

JQ is only 16 yall, anyone getting on to his father.......for actually being a FATHER needs to check themselves. There's sharks everywhere, clingers,rogue agents, and sly coaches. As a father you want your child's well being to be top priority. He did exactly what he should do and he should put it on Twitter for any other lurkers thinking of doing the same. He sent a message nationwide looking out for JQ, some of yall look dumb because he might go elsewhere.

I think it is good that JQ's parents are involved and trying to stay on top of the people in contact with him. There's a ton of marginal characters and bad influences out there who prey on young athletes.

Normally I would say the Dad needs to let his son make his own decision and stay out of the spotlight. In this situation, I am a little torn because JQ is only 16. On one end I think if you are ok with your son going to college at 16 then you need to let him make his own decision about what coaches he would like to talk to. On the other end I think that at 16, he may need some guidance from his father whether he is going to make the jump to college or not.
What? Hell nah dude. Ain’t no grow ass adult contacting my kids without me knowing. Hard no. I feel his dad for blasting that. Know they know not too. I just file it wasn’t coach pope but I don’t think he’s the type.

Reactions: JPFisher
Yeah, it’s really crazy. Last summer there were scouts and coaches at games that wouldn’t even talk to my son. He was only getting looked at by division 2 and 3 teams. Every D1 coach was saying he’s got good command and good stuff, but his fastball isn’t D1 level. Since last summer, he’s put on 15 pounds and added 7 MPH to his fastball. All of a sudden, all those scouts and coaches are his best friends. It’s crazy.
My son has been stunned by how poorly run his program is. Often don’t know what time practice is the next day until the morning of. The stories I could tell. That’s why I get somewhat defensive when I read people bitching about the portal. It is not just my son’s school. Talking to my sons old pitching coach who coached in college and left because “the head coach was an asshole who enjoyed screwing with kids minds”.

Watch out for the coaches who get roster bonuses, meaning the more kids they get the more money the school pays them and the program.

Reactions: USARMYWILDCAT
Did any of you need guidance when you were 16? I did and was glad to get it.
I had my own apartment when I turned 16, the day after I got my driver's license. Never been young... (Of course I never had people busting down doors to give me money either...)

Reactions: westerncat
I get being upset over that, especially considering his kid is 16. But putting it on Twitter is just childish attention seeking behavior. If someone told him to blast this out for all to see, well, he’s just not very bright for listening. You deal with this directly. One on one.
Maybe he wanted to put. Other coaches on notice .

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
A parent doing a parent's job.
If it was in relation to either Cal, who recruited him, or Pope who is the new coach at the school he signed to, then it's pretty ridiculous. The kid is about to be on his own as a young adult in college. If you are a parent and think everything needs to go through you when you're about to set your kid free on the world then I think you did a bad job.

If it was in relation to either Cal, who recruited him, or Pope who is the new coach at the school he signed to, then it's pretty ridiculous. The kid is about to be on his own as a young adult in college. If you are a parent and think everything needs to go through you when you're about to set your kid free on the world then I think you did a bad job.

That's just silly. He's 16 yrs old. There is a lot of money involved.

He is going off to college not Korea.

Ultimately it's not your decision on how he raises and cares for his son. You don't have his best interests in mind. He does though.

And I know you would feel differently if it was Jeff Sheppard talking about Reed.

Reactions: treyforuk and K86
That's just silly. He's 16 yrs old. There is a lot of money involved.

He is going off to college not Korea.

Ultimately it's not your decision on how he raises and cares for his son. You don't have his best interests in mind. He does though.

And I know you would feel differently if it was Jeff Sheppard talking about Reed.
Ridiculous all around. We're talking about a coach wanting to talk to him about attending a school. So scary, better shield those ears! You one of them helicopter parents? And I don't think we'd ever heard anything like that from Jeff because he raised Reed to be able to handle a phone call from a coach...

Ridiculous all around. We're talking about a coach wanting to talk to him about attending a school. So scary, better shield those ears! You one of them helicopter parents? And I don't think we'd ever heard anything like that from Jeff because he raised Reed to be able to handle a phone call from a coach...

Don't be naive. This isn't about simply attending a school. This is big business.

And Jeff and Stacey are involved in every single step of Reed's career.

Don't be naive. This isn't about simply attending a school. This is big business.

And Jeff and Stacey are involved in every single step of Reed's career.
And if your kid can't take a phone call on his own and then discuss with the parents for guidance without the parent feeling butthurt then I think they are way too over the top. The kid is about to be solo, in the real world, with real money and fame, exposed to drugs and sex and compromising scenarios. If you can't trust them at this point to take a phone call then again, you did a bad job.

And if your kid can't take a phone call on his own and then discuss with the parents for guidance without the parent feeling butthurt then I think they are way too over the top. The kid is about to be solo, in the real world, with real money and fame, exposed to drugs and sex and compromising scenarios. If you can't trust them at this point to take a phone call then again, you did a bad job.
I’m willing to bet you aren’t a parent. You’re certainly not a parent dealing with a scenario like this. That man is doing his job looking out for his son. Criticizing that makes you look a total idiot.

One more thing to add, even if you are a parent, what right do you have to criticize another parent for what he believes is best for his kids? Should all parents do it your way?

Reactions: treyforuk
Dad wanted all contact because he is lying to the kid about how much NIL money he’s getting is my guess

• Haha
Reactions: Lempface
He's part of a family, not a commodity for purchase. If the family dynamic is that you contact the parents first, people need to respect that regardless of whether you think it's right or wrong. Frankly, our opinion of their dynamic doesn't matter, and it's none of our business.

I’m willing to bet you aren’t a parent. You’re certainly not a parent dealing with a scenario like this. That man is doing his job looking out for his son. Criticizing that makes you look a total idiot.

One more thing to add, even if you are a parent, what right do you have to criticize another parent for what he believes is best for his kids? Should all parents do it your way?
No not at all, but I can criticize that overblown tweet. If you wanna mention to the coach to route communication through the parent that's one thing, to make a juvenile tweet makes me have a poor view.

My son has been stunned by how poorly run his program is. Often don’t know what time practice is the next day until the morning of. The stories I could tell. That’s why I get somewhat defensive when I read people bitching about the portal. It is not just my son’s school. Talking to my sons old pitching coach who coached in college and left because “the head coach was an asshole who enjoyed screwing with kids minds”.

Watch out for the coaches who get roster bonuses, meaning the more kids they get the more money the school pays them and the program.
Well, I think his mind is made up. If everything goes right, he will be a freshman for a certain school that wears blue and white.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT