ADVERTISEMENT

Jayden Quaintance’s Dad’s Tweet…

If my son was Top 10 HS player in America that is openly being recruited by college basketball programs, I may prefer to be contacted first by the school, but I wouldn't be shocked - and certainly wouldn't put it on blast - that a coach/rep from a program sent him a text/called him.

That's what you sign up for.

Normally I would say the Dad needs to let his son make his own decision and stay out of the spotlight. In this situation, I am a little torn because JQ is only 16. On one end I think if you are ok with your son going to college at 16 then you need to let him make his own decision about what coaches he would like to talk to. On the other end I think that at 16, he may need some guidance from his father whether he is going to make the jump to college or not.

Everyone is saying his parents need to stay out of it are crazy. The kid is 16 years old. I have an 18-year-old kid right now going through the recruiting process for baseball. There’s no way in hell my son could do this without his mom and I. If you think his parents need to stop helicopter parenting and stay out of it you have no idea what this process is like.

Sounds like daddy issues.

Jealousy GIF by The Roku Channel

Not at all “childish” to me.

JQ is only 16 and his father SHOULD BE directly involved with EVERY aspect of his further recruitment and decision making. I would want to be the one contacted if my son was in this same situation.

This. I think it's reasonable for any parent to want to be involved but especially so in this situation due to his unusual youth.

If it was cals camp contacting him, you'd think they'd know this concern already. So it almost surely can't be them.... right? Almost has to be us or Louisville.

Normally I would say the Dad needs to let his son make his own decision and stay out of the spotlight. In this situation, I am a little torn because JQ is only 16. On one end I think if you are ok with your son going to college at 16 then you need to let him make his own decision about what coaches he would like to talk to. On the other end I think that at 16, he may need some guidance from his father whether he is going to make the jump to college or not.
This.

My initial reaction was “stop treating him like he’s a kid. He’s a young man and “kids” that age are talking to recruiters to go serve. He’s old enough to start managing his own life to a point while leaving on occasional parental guidance.”

…….and then I rememberers he’s 16 and not your typical incoming freshman that will be 18+. Yeah…he’s a kid….talk through the parents until otherwise told it’s good to hit him up directly

If jaydens dad can't realize who is better to take care and direct his 16 yr old son after THE POPE presser yesterday he never will get it I am to the point I care but don't care what happens to last year's players and recruits THE POPE will get his players he wants to fit Kentucky

Reactions: NociHTTP
I would absolutely be involved and I'd want to meet every person coming into the situation to recruit my son.

I thought that's how its supposed to be.

putting it on twitter might be a different conversation however.

to be fair though, my move would be to leak it to a trusted reporter and let him dog the coach

I’ve got a friend going through this with his kid in AAU. Can’t imagine what they have to navigate as parents. Especially the high level in demand kids. It’s got to get aggravating trying to raise your kid right while shady people dangle every temptation possible in front of your kid.

I get being upset over that, especially considering his kid is 16. But putting it on Twitter is just childish attention seeking behavior. If someone told him to blast this out for all to see, well, he’s just not very bright for listening. You deal with this directly. One on one.

The most disturbing thing is a grown man tweeting. I get if people have twitter to follow sports personalities, celebs, etc, but surprised about random people tweeting lol.

I thought this was interesting. Really makes me wonder if Kal is who he was talking about.

What the hell does this mean? Anger at Pope for reaching out to JQ?
I saw this posted somewhere yesterday and just assumed it's some third party, not UK/Pope or Arkansas/Cal. Obviously Cal already has contact with him so that shouldn't be a big deal, and then it's totally reasonable that UK would reach out to him since that's where he's committed. I think some other school tried to jump in once Cal left and that's what his Dad is referring to. My 2¢

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT